Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for FM 2009?

Options
  • 23-06-2008 4:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

1. A game which is actually not a complete mess which doesn't need me to wait until an update is released.

2.International mode enhanced. I don't know what they can do to make it better, but I find Int. management the best thing about these games.

3.Stop stupid signings like Barzagli joining Chelsea for 40 million. That will never happen in real life.

Also Everton will never spend 20 million on a player IRL.

4.Have like on some occassions a rich investor decides to invest in a certain league, or an array of rich tycoons decide to take over some clubs in some league, for example the league of Ireland. The League then rises over time.

5.More flexible tactics. The abilty to work on set plays....

6.The chance of having music when your team scores.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Director of football role - most continental clubs, and a handful of English clubs operate using this structure, so why isnt it in the game?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Aside from fixing the many bugs, I'd like to see:

- More accurate and in depth representations of managers, so we won't see Arsene Wenger spending £47m on Vicente anymore.
    - Better interaction with players, media, other managers, etc.
    - Get rid of the commenting on whether it was a foul etc - you can't see what happened, so it makes no sense having it.
    - Proper (realistic) scouting system.
    - More players with big potential values, but fewer players realising it. In other words, more emphasis on good coaching than good scouting.
    - More in depth tactical management in matches.
    - More hands on training. You should be able to work on specific set pieces and so on.
    - Revamp the formation screen. It shouldn't be so rigid: for example you should be able to setup your team in a true 4-3-3 with wing forwards, without it looking like a hideous 4-5-1 or like you've got 3 centre-forwards.
    - Better transfer negotiations. Important: STOP COMPUTER PLAYERS BARGAINING UPWARDS ON PLAYER SALES!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Director of football role - most continental clubs, and a handful of English clubs operate using this structure, so why isnt it in the game?

:confused::confused::confused: What are you goin to do in that role?? Its called football manager for a reason.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

:confused::confused::confused: What are you goin to do in that role?? Its called football manager for a reason.......

I think he means have one at the club, and that they actually play a role in the club.

There should then(if you want) be an option of asking the powers that be to get rid of the director of football, and its upto them if they want one or not.

Depending on their settings, the director would interfere more with signings and other stuff that a director of football does.

Exactly. You tell the Director of Football what type of player you want, and they deliver them to you, with a variable input on actual names.

It's how a lot of football clubs run, and would add a new element to it.

plus one for everthing Pepe said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

1. A game which is actually not a complete mess which doesn't need me to wait until an update is released.

I think there should definatly be more focus on releasing the game with less bugs... if they have to delay the release date for a while so be it.

2.International mode enhanced. I don't know what they can do to make it better, but I find Int. management the best thing about these games.

I think this mode is one of the poorer aspects of the game... may go into it in more detail later.

3.Stop stupid signings like Barzagli joining Chelsea for 40 million. That will never happen in real life.

Agree

Also Everton will never spend 20 million on a player IRL.

Hmmm, think man city, portsmouth, west ham, even chelsea a few years ago.

4.Have like on some occassions a rich investor decides to invest in a certain league, or an array of rich tycoons decide to take over some clubs in some league, for example the league of Ireland. The League then rises over time.

Has this ever happened in real life?

5.More flexible tactics. The abilty to work on set plays....

Agree

6.The chance of having music when your team scores.

Silly tbh

Iill post my own when i've time, i don't mean to pick on yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Refresh

many are against this but i would like to have control over stadium expansion, useful as you can decide on if you want long or short term gains etc
    yes i know normally the manager has little say in the matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

for me the weakest elements of the game currently are set pieces, interactions with the board and media.

on set pieces i really want them to be separated from the tactics. primarily i like to be able to use more than one in a match without having to tediously rework them during the game. basically a 'play list' of different set pieces that can be chopped and changed to respond to the opposition. and definitely make them more dependent on the strengths and weakness of the opposition, which i think is currently the weakest element of the current match engine.

on the board i like their to more more depth and variation. different set ups, ones where the board will grant you differing levels of control over transfers i.e. some where players and staff are imposed on you regardless (a la Ambramovich and the Sheva debacle), one's where you simply compile a list of positions you need filled and they do it for you, like the director of football someone mentioned earlier etc. and then differing finances, boards who are primariy focused on profit, others who will primarily reinvest everything. just more depth and that.

media really goes without saying tbh. it's very weak at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Perrin

I though there were too many overated players in 2008,too many players had twenty's

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Probably limit the Godliness of certain players. Thierry Henry scores on average 20 goals in 30 games for Barcelona when he's 34!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Re-generated players to be better.There always crap.

Better board interaction.

Improve the International scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Properly research the Eircom League and not just use all the details from last years one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Raoul

- More accurate and in depth representations of managers, so we won't see Arsene Wenger spending £47m on Vicente anymore.
    - Better interaction with players, media, other managers, etc.
    - Get rid of the commenting on whether it was a foul etc - you can't see what happened, so it makes no sense having it.
    - Proper (realistic) scouting system.
    - More players with big potential values, but fewer players realising it. In other words, more emphasis on good coaching than good scouting.
    - More in depth tactical management in matches.
    - More hands on training. You should be able to work on specific set pieces and so on.
    - Revamp the formation screen. It shouldn't be so rigid: for example you should be able to setup your team in a true 4-3-3 with wing forwards, without it looking like a hideous 4-5-1 or like you've got 3 centre-forwards.
    - Better transfer negotiations. Important: STOP COMPUTER PLAYERS BARGAINING UPWARDS ON PLAYER SALES!

I couldn't agree more!
    The whole media questions need improvement, I hate having to say the exact same thing before every match or having to talk about controversial games after EVERY game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

1. I would like to be able to give instructions from the touchline.

I shouldn't have to go to the tactics screen to go to a defensive style, I should just be able to click it on the screen at that time.

An array of items on the side would be great

Defensive
    Attacking
    Hard Tackling
    Get behind the ball
    Go to a 4-3-3 (obv. have a 4-3-3 formation setup before hand and you can just shout it out onto the pitch)

2. Playing a game at the moment, was managing MK Dons, and I got the Arsenal job in 2011. Arsenal had a £250m transfer kitty. I just bought all the best young players in the game, I now have an invincible team. There is no way a team would have a 250m kitty for players, unless your Chelsea.

3. Definitely the scouting needs to be improved. I sign some young players that I know are going to be great when they are older, Ass. Manager always says it should be a last resort, why can't he say, could be a good prospect (based on pot. ability). Stupid.

4. Scouts should be much better. And you send a scout to England and you send another Scout to England, they come back with the exact same list of players. I think one of them wasn't doing their job and just copied the other, or the game is just stupid.

5. You should be given the option to just view the result rather than watch the game. Why would you want to sit through a game of Arsenal vs Woking? I skip these at the moment by going on Holiday for 1 day.

6. I want the media questions to be scrapped, it's not intuitive and the same options come up time and time again.

7. If I'm managing a club and someone puts in a bid for a player and I reject it and say he's not for sale, I don't want bidding on him for the whole summer, I should be able to report a club that is repeatedly attempting to sign my player, when I've already rejected bids. NO TAPPING UP.

8. I find that when I play football manager, if I keep replaying games so I win every game, then Man UTD and Chelsea and Arsenal also win all their games. If I play it normally and don't do any of that cheating stuff then Man Utd Arsenal and Chelsea lose as much as I do. Clearly there's no simulation going on, as the results should be randomish, shouldn't they?

9. Needs more cowbell.

10. I should be able to propose clubs to the board that I'd like to make a feeder club. No more getting linked to these obscure Saudi clubs with no players.

11. If I was a real manager and I was looking at a real young player, I'd have some ability to judge if the young player has any potential. At the moment, all you see is some crap stats and some silver stars. Your staff should be telling you who he will be like footballing wise in a few years and who the best player to learn from while at the club.

12. I would also like to see some sort of increase in financial runnings of the club and the buying of players. The best players in the game cost around £145m, but that's for the entire game. When you get to 2030, you have nearly a billion pound sterling and you buy a whole new 11 aside world class team with a billion pound sterling.

13. Why can't I visit my training academy? I know I have one, and every now and then, every 10 years or so, one good player emerges from it. What use is that? I have a top training academy spieling out crap.

14. Other leagues never get bigger or better. It's the same 3 leagues in Europe that are any use playing. Spain, England and Italy. The German league is brutal, French, Portugal, how about every 10 - 15 years a league improves and players want to go to a league?

15. There is no way a manager could start off in Serie C managing Mantova, and in four seasons be crowned European Champions Leauge winners, I did it, but it's not realistic.

16. So I'm an ex-international player, now turned manager, but I don't have any friends or connections in the football world. I can't go ask Paul Ince if he wants to recommend a few players, or anything like that. There's literally no interaction with other managers, apart from snide comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

My biggest gripe is with international footie. Its is so obviously a bolt on to the original format, to which a token effort is made each release to improve it slightly (eg international pool, or some minor media interaction).

It needs to be stripped down and rebuilt into the game from scratch - if I was a manager international management would be the pinacle of my career.

I want proper interaction with my squad, I want to be able to tell a player he needs to move to improve is international chances. I want to interact with a players international club manager. I want international scouting. I want the rubbish media reports scrapped that proclaim when I've picked a squad of players from English leagues and ignored the LoI (shock horror......). I want some control over friendlies - especially in the run-up to a major tournament. I want to arrange set pieces and training generally. International stats are at present non-existant, I want most capped, most goals, etc etc - not just the stats from the last world cup campaign. I'd also like to see international and club form side by side.

I'd also like to see a players U21 caps alongside his senior caps - if I cap an 18yr old in a friendly, I can never see how many U21's he makes again even if he plays 20 more games at U21 level and never gets another senior cap.

* Apologies to SI if any of the above is fixed in 08 - I'm still stuck 20yrs into an 07 game. No fear of me giving it up now! If it's not fixed - get moving, or I'm not buying 09. I have 08 still in it's wrapper because by all accounts it's still bugged as sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭The Everlasting

Would like to see better player and manager interaction.............. I want to be able to call Alex Fergusons missus a dog and question the fake Ronaldos sexuality

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

I'd like to get rid of the bias towards English players. In old games Vassel was one of the best strikers in the game. Why? In real life he wasn't that good. Also, I don't care how England did in any friendly. It still tells me, England lose narrowly 0-2, English win comfortably 1-0. It's really annoying. If I'm in spain, I'd rather the SPANISH team news. Not the English. Noone cares how they did. They bug were your negotiating a price and the computer raises to a really high price. Or computer clubs not giving you a fair price for a player. IE, I have to spend 12m to buy bent, but if I'm Charlton, 12m is too much. Either make the value price a real reflection or have everyone playing by the same rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

What??

This is how I have always watched my games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Generally what the game needs is more interaction with the board, press, players and fellow managers and not just this repetitive nonsense over and over again being only given the same 5 potential answers.

-You/other managers should have more time to speak with the board one-on-one. Discuss transfer targets and the kind of direction you see the club going. Also be able to have arguements/disagreements with the board and see whether the fans and players are on your side or not.

-Should have more press time by which I mean being asked more than one question. Confrim rumours circulating about players coming to/leaving the club. Discuss the weekend fixtures and comment on other managers,etc. Like in real life you should have your daily meeting with the press.

-If your player is unhappy you should be able to sit down with him and find out why. No more of this, 'Joe Bloggs didn't turn up for training today. Fine 2 weeks wages?'. It would be good to see year long transfer sagas much like that of Cristiano Ronaldo; will he, won't he go? Be able to talk with players from other teams about why they should sign for you and not for someone else.

-Have proper 'mind games' with other managers. Really be able to have a go at them, rather than saying I hope you're beaten to the title this year.
    Also be able to personally bargain with them over the sale of one of your/their players.

I would also like to see pre season being updated were you are invited to tour rich countries for money and would like to see the big teams facing off in a foreign country. Like Man Utd v AC MIlan playing in New York or where ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,966 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

dubmick wrote: »
    What??

This is how I have always watched my games

But you can only see little circles - you can't actually see if the player was fouled or if he took a bit of a dive.

I would like to see the Parent/Feeder club made better.

I would like to be able to supply a list of players that i am willing to put out on load, to the feeder club, and they would then come back with the players they would actually like to take and would actually play. Pointless sending a player to a feeder team if they aren't going to play for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Interactive Aspects
    Like being asked to comment on controversial moments in a game, interaction with fellow managers is just rubbish. The reaction to any replies you give seem totally random. Will the FA ban you for disagreeing with a decision or will your players freak out because some 2nd division manager doesn't rate you as a manager. For that matter, the result of asking an older player to take a youth player under his wing seems fairly random.

Financial Aspects

I would love to see a more realistic financial aspect to the game. In the larger and more successful clubs wage budget seems to increase year after year. As Leeds just won the PL - we have just signed a year sponsorship for 200K :confused:. Being involved in apportioning funds to youth development, stadium expansion and sponsorship deals etc. would be nice. IF it didn't interest you there could be a 'financial director' option to do that for you.

Transfers

This needs tweaking.

*When Clubs enquire after a player they invariably reject any figure mentioned - even if the figure is zero for a player worth millions. Very annoying.

*Clubs offering the exact same amount for players - to the point of having the exactly same structured deal - despite the bids being private.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Aside from more tweaks to the likes of much more options to transfers and add on clauses theres one thing.....

Individual player instructions. How many times have you had gerrard center midfield with long range shots set to often or torres up front set to run with ball and forward runs to then have to change everything just because you put on crouch or pennant.

Would save so much time from tweaking tactics. Especially as fm has gotten so bloody fiddily anymore that you have to tweak things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Giggidy

They need to make it harder, this year was bit of an improvement, but should make it harder again.

I agree with the first point made about transfers, the whole inflation issue that happens in the game is just ridiculous!! No way a team would pay 51mil for Dos Santos!

I think training could be a bit better also, not sure what but its a bit vague I find

11. If I was a real manager and I was looking at a real young player, I'd have some ability to judge if the young player has any potential. At the moment, all you see is some crap stats and some silver stars. Your staff should be telling you who he will be like footballing wise in a few years and who the best player to learn from while at the club.

13. Why can't I visit my training academy? I know I have one, and every now and then, every 10 years or so, one good player emerges from it. What use is that? I have a top training academy spieling out crap.

14. Other leagues never get bigger or better. It's the same 3 leagues in Europe that are any use playing. Spain, England and Italy. The German league is brutal, French, Portugal, how about every 10 - 15 years a league improves and players want to go to a league?

16. So I'm an ex-international player, now turned manager, but I don't have any friends or connections in the football world. I can't go ask Paul Ince if he wants to recommend a few players, or anything like that. There's literally no interaction with other managers, apart from snide comments.

I think these were good ideas with no. 14 tho I would suggest the progress on the league depend on the players developed there and the managers there

http://uk.youtube.com/sigames

New features being announced tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Sick of clubs raising the asking prices of players ridiculously/
    Quaresma is valued at 6.5 million or something like that but I could only get him by splashing out more than 30 million?

Broken...

Also I wish when you buy a player for your reserves who obviously isnt good enough for the first team but you think could be a rotation player the fans lose faith in you...

Advertisement