Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Revving while idle

Options
  • 23-06-2008 8:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

I'm having such bad luck with this car. One thing after another.
    The engine revs while idle, Jumping between 1,500 to 2,000 revs.
    Sounds stupid while stopped at lights.
    What could it be? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

More than likely an idle motor.

What make of car is it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Toyota Celica. Started happening yesterday. At first it would start fine but the car would not idle, the revs just dropped until it stalled. Then I could only start it while having my foot slightly on the accelerator. And now after I drove it a bit like the, the revs jumping up and down while idle.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You could try some injector cleaner to see if it smooths out the idling.

idle control valve?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mantaraver

Could be that you have an air leak from a split pipe or loose manifold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If it started suddenly, I would say its a cracked intake pipe. when pipe is cracked, some air is taken in unknown to the air flow sensor. This confuses the whole system as petrol is being inputted according to amount of air coming into engine. this generally cuases the revs to go mad as described.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

OP, drive through any deep water? Could also possibly be air intake.

antodeco wrote: »
    OP, drive through any deep water? Could also possibly be air intake.

Yup the roads were very badly flooded on Saturday. :(
    I drove a good bit since then and the problem only showed up Sunday(about 100 km later)
    What would that have damaged?
    Expensive to fix?

I guess all I can do is leave it into a garage and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

did you check that the idle control valve isn't clogged up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Could it be the MAF which is acting up?

draffodx wrote: »
    did you check that the idle control valve isn't clogged up?

I don't know how to check that.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Could be the maf got wet, or the filter got wet. Have you had a look at the air filter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Had a similar problem with my 00 Passat last week. Only in the car 5 minutes and coming to lights I start to slow down and come to a complete stop. However, revs remain at 2000. I tip the accelerator a little thinking that might bring the revs back down to zero but revs shoot up to 4000 and remain there. I quickly turned off the engine, then tried to restart but the engine wasn't turning over.

Left it alone for 10 minutes, then retried it and got her going. Local garage ran a diagnostics on it and 2 faults showed up, one of them was called "Lambda" but I'm not sure what that relates to. Garage had the problem fixed in 5 minutes and I've not seen the issue since.

antodeco wrote: »
    Could be the maf got wet, or the filter got wet. Have you had a look at the air filter?

Have it left into a garage because I am clueless when it comes to things like this. Hope it's ok. >_<
    Thanks for the advice guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

got a similar problem with a polo 98' in front of stop light revs down to stall, very annoying in traffic. no idea what to do tried STP products shell red petrol new exhaust new air filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Could be Engine Control Unit (ECU) which can be responsible for fuel injection and valve timing. (in the case of the celica, there is the VVTi system to go wrong)

The garage says it's a throttle body sensor. Getting it fixed on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Ok i could be completly off with this, but we had a Cruiser inside and it was doing the same thing. Realised the air con was on and when we turned it off this stopped it. Could be the same thing.

Ok i could be completly off with this, but we had a Cruiser inside and it was doing the same thing. Realised the air con was on and when we turned it off this stopped it. Could be the same thing.

It's the same with the aircon on or off but thanks for the idea. I'm fairly sure the garage have diagnosed it correctly but if anyone thinks they might be wrong let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

tuxy wrote: »
    It's the same with the aircon on or off but thanks for the idea. I'm fairly sure the garage have diagnosed it correctly but if anyone thinks they might be wrong let me know.

LOl sorry i didn't see the second page of comments:o

Advertisement