Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying brand new in NI

Options
  • 23-06-2008 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Quick question - if I buy a brand new car from a dealership in Northern Ireland - can I provide an English address to go on the log book if I don't have an address in NI?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

benifa wrote: »
    Quick question - if I buy a brand new car from a dealership in Northern Ireland - can I provide an English address to go on the log book if I don't have an address in NI?

Sure, here's a good one:

Buckingham Palace,
    Buckingham Palace Road,
    Pall Mall,
    London SW1A 1AA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Zube wrote: »
    Sure, here's a good one:

Buckingham Palace,
    Buckingham Palace Road,
    Pall Mall,
    London SW1A 1AA

:rolleyes: and the prize for the world's most pointless post goes to..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

:rolleyes: and the prize for the world's most pointless post goes to..

You ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Can't you just bet a box office. You know those places that your post goes to, it's like a shop.

But you have to show proof of residence(think it's 6 months) if bringing the motor south of the border.

Sorry, perhaps my original post wasn't clear enough.

I have an address in both ROI and England. I live 6 months here, 6 months there. I'm in the process of buying a new car, and considering doing so in NI. I have documents proving my address in England, if the dealership so asks.

To be honest, I don't think it is possible for the DVLNI to register a Northern Ireland vehicle to an address in GB mainland, though of course I hope I'm wrong.

I've called some dealerships in NI and asked the question, and they're going to find out and call me back. But in the mean time, if anyone on here can shed some light, please do! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I have an address in both ROI and England. I live 6 months here, 6 months there.

To import the car here, you'd need to prove you've lived in the UK for a clear year.

However, you could keep your proof of UK residency in the glove box, tax/insure it in England and take your chances with the Customs boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

To be honest, I don't think it is possible for the DVLNI to register a Northern Ireland vehicle to an address in GB mainland, though of course I hope I'm wrong.

It is, my wife bought a new car from a VW dealer in Derry when she was living in London.

Zube wrote: »
    To import the car here, you'd need to prove you've lived in the UK for a clear year.

However, you could keep your proof of UK residency in the glove box, tax/insure it in England and take your chances with the Customs boys.

Thanks. At the minute I'm not looking at putting it on Irish plates. Simply the issue of buying from NI but registering the car to an address in mainland GB. Will the DVLNI do it?

whippet wrote: »
    It is, my wife bought a new car from a VW dealer in Derry when she was living in London.

Wow, that's promising! So she flew over to Derry from London and drove the car back via the ferry? Did the DVLNI just register it to her address in London, no questions asked? Or did the DVLNI "export" the car, pass the details to the DVLA, and let the DVLA send her the V5C?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

a car under 6 months of age is considered new and not only VRT but VAT has to be paid in Ireland even if it has already been paid in the country of origin.

• Advertisement

Mailman wrote: »
    a car under 6 months of age is considered new and not only VRT but VAT has to be paid in Ireland even if it has already been paid in the country of origin.

Yeah, cheers.

Ok, I think I have an answer on this.

I've spoken to the DVLNI myself and a few dealerships in NI, and they all seem to be saying the same thing:

Upon buying a new car in Northern Ireland, the dealership would usually send some forms to the DVLNI in order to register the car and be issued a registration number. In my case, they'd just send the forms to the DVLA instead of the DVLNI, since the car is to be registered to a GB mainland address. So no dealings with the DVLNI at all. Also, the car would be issued with a GB mainland number plate, rather than an NI plate (not that it matters).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

Ok, I think I have an answer on this.

I've spoken to the DVLNI myself and a few dealerships in NI, and they all seem to be saying the same thing:

Upon buying a new car in Northern Ireland, the dealership would usually send some forms to the DVLNI in order to register the car and be issued a registration number. In my case, they'd just send the forms to the DVLA instead of the DVLNI, since the car is to be registered to a GB mainland address. So no dealings with the DVLNI at all. Also, the car would be issued with a GB mainland number plate, rather than an NI plate (not that it matters).

Simply as really. She was getting a better deal on the motor in Derry and it suited as she is originally from Belfast.

Advertisement