Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alison Curtis

• 23-06-2008 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

Had my brother in the car this morning so was listening to Today FM, Ian was saying something about Alison Curtis having left the station, but didn't give too much away. Anyone know where she's gone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

This is good news. It seemed to me she had compromsied herself taking that job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

She is still at the radio station.
    She left the breakfast show coz she has her own show from next week onwards 10pm to midnight (I think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

sham69 wrote: »
    She is still at the radio station.
    She left the breakfast show coz she has her own show from next week onwards 10pm to midnight (I think).

Aye, it's in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055316104

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Oh right, thanks, I thought she was gone to a different station or something the way Ian was talking, must be bitter about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

I don’t think it was bitter - more tongue in cheek : His references to her being gone & "not speaking about her again" were delivered in a mock-angry jokey manner (sometimes it's hard to tell with Ian , tho...) , and late last week he had offered her hearty congratulations on the move.

Congratulations which she deserves, to be honest. She's a damn good producer, and although her presentation style can be perceived by some (myself included) as a little breathy and whimsical, I think her taste in music is fantastic and she's knowledgeable and a consummate pro.

Her placement in the late night line up seems to intimate that Today FM are listening to their market & know their niche in Ireland's nigh time radio spectrum (which they seemingly have decided doesn't include jaded avuncular jocularity and 'American Boy' on heavy rotation in between two of the best alternative broadcasters in Ireland) , and she deserves every success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Aw dammit, after bigging it up, it turns out to be "The Blast" for kids with Ian Curtis T Shirts and short memories.

The trailing promos were inane (an Amy Winehouse bed overlaid with tragically hip references to "pop Culture" which was signified by the use of pointless out of context Seinfeld quotes) and the "Quirky" "fun" parts of the show have been lifted wholesale from other original sources -

The five in five is a quiz where a cryptic clue gives the answer to a famous movie bears absolutely NO similarity to "Cryptic Movie Clues" on the online movie forum, where, er, cryptic clues give the answer to a famous movie.

The segment "Canadian or Dead?" on the show is a 'humourous' one, where callers are required to decide whether a list of celebrities (i.e. William Shatner, Bo Diddley, Michael J Fox, Charles Bronson) are either Canadians or deceased to win prizes.

This of course is COMPLETELY unrelated to MTV's Remote control segment "Dead or Canadian" (a sub-segment of their own Dead or Alive competition), where callers are required to decide whether a list of celebrities (i.e. William Shatner, Bo Diddley, Michael J Fox, Charles Bronson) are either Canadians, or deceased to win prizes.

The differences between This new show and the original are of course, obvious. The name is completely reversed, for example and..er..that's it. No stealing there...

(Even the wholesale lifting of this item in itself is not original - Simon Mayo lifted the concept for his BBC radio quiz "Brown Bread" in the 90's , and as far as i recall, A M Kelly didn't even bother changing the name when she did her version of Dead or Alive some years later, also on Today FM.....)

Other aspects of the show are very close to certain Guardian features and Soundopinion message board threads, but not exactly mirror images.

I listened for the music, not novelty crap. Novelty crap in itself is very annoying, but second hand novelty crap is just insulting. Just play the music.

Advertisement