Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW M Series Cars

Options
  • 23-06-2008 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hey folks.

Just a quick question.. Do anyone know if all M series cars have the quad exhaust system... all though the years not just current models.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

No, the earlier cars were hand-built and far more discreet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Nope, they didn't.

The older M3 (Not so sure on the model number) had a twin exit on the left side, as did the older M5 IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Anan1 wrote: »

Less "vulgar"?

eoin_s wrote: »
    Less "vulgar"?
    You know how I see these things...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Nope, they didn't.

The older M3 (Not so sure on the model number) had a twin exit on the left side, as did the older M5 IIRC

E36 I presume

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Quad exhaust came in on the e39 M5 in 1999, and continued on the e46 M3.

Yeah I would agree. I'm a big fan of the M cars but they gradualy lost their Q car appeal. The new M3 looks almost completely different to to base model.

Its like a normal 3 series on roids.

ronoc wrote: »
    Yeah I would agree. I'm a big fan of the M cars but they gradualy lost their Q car appeal. The new M3 looks almost completely different to to base model.

I would say that the new M3 looks closer to the standard coupe than the e46 did.

The e39 M5 also looks quite close to the standard M-Tech 5 series - I think the only differences are the front bumper, alloys and quad exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

ronoc wrote: »

I personally don't see the appeal of the 'Q' car factor some of you on here seem to adore.

If I spent 115 grand on a car I would like to think it looks a little different to the 1.6 base model.

I don't 'get' the sense of smug well being tearing off the lights in an 'understated' car leaving boy racers behind, that some of you on here cherish so much

I (IMHO of course) see understated as another way to describe bland.

The M cars have discrete spoilers, slightly flared wheel arches, slight bonnet bulge, the 4 pipes at the back are the most shouty part of the car, but every modern performance car from Germany these days has too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yeah, and slower :pac::p

to be fair the e46 m3, to the casual observer is just a sport kitted 3 series, the flared arches were subtle enough and the grills and exhaust aside, little else to give it away

the e39 m5 even more so,

i think the e60 m5 is pretty discrete too, the e92 m3 being a louder car, but thats what the buyers want i should think, the m3 is a younger persons cars and who would spunk 120k on one if it looked like an mtec 318

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Cyrus wrote: »
    the m3 is a younger persons cars and who would spunk 120k on one if it looked like an mtec 318

Was the e30 M3 not a blistered arched, spoilered up e30? Completely diffferent to the standard car? Or what about the original CSL "batmobile", it had some crazy bodywork, including some unusual aerdynamics:
    main.jpg

http://www.e-24.ru/eng/theory/history/coupe/

I think a lot of motoring critics took issue with the e34, e39, e36, e46 ///M machines for not being more audacious than their standard stable mates.

The ///M machines should a bit more "vulgar".

Was the e30 M3 not a blistered acrhed, spoilered up e30? Completely diffferent to the standard car?

I was going to say that as well - while it wasn't as refined as the newer M cars, it certainly didn't look "stock". I do like the idea of a real q-car, but at the same time get very sick of the inverted snobbery you see here. Terms like "vulgar" and "new money" get very boring quickly. Personally I think the Mitsubishi Evo is one of the ugliest performance cars as standard, but that never seems to get a mention.

Was the e30 M3 not a blistered acrhed, spoilered up e30? Completely diffferent to the standard car?

I think a lot of motoring critics took issue with the e34, e39, e36, e46 ///M machines for not being more audacious than their standard stable mates.

yep it was, was gonna mention that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Or see CSL above, now if that isn't loud I don't know what is!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'll take the Q car over the blinged-up wankmobile any day thanks. No doubt the E60 is a rocket, but day to day I'd much prefer a debadged E34 or Lotus Carlton.

dahamsta wrote: »
    I'll take the Q car over the blinged-up wankmobile any day thanks. No doubt the E60 is a rocket, but day to day I'd much prefer a debadged E34 or Lotus Carlton.

blinged up wankmobile :confused:riiiiight

id prefer to be in an e60 day to day what with its climate control, sat nav, tv, infinitely adjustable seats, if youd rather be in some old Vauxhall more power to you :D

Real Q car alright what with the bespoke rims, big spoiler and bonnet vents :rolleyes:

lotus%20carlton-L.jpg

Victor_M wrote: »
    I personally don't see the appeal of the 'Q' car factor some of you on here seem to adore.

If I spent 115 grand on a car I would like to think it looks a little different to the 1.6 base model.

I don't 'get' the sense of smug well being tearing off the lights in an 'understated' car leaving boy racers behind, that some of you on here cherish so much

I (IMHO of course) see understated as another way to describe bland.

The M cars have discrete spoilers, slightly flared wheel arches, slight bonnet bulge, the 4 pipes at the back are the most shouty part of the car, but every modern performance car from Germany these days has too.
    Q cars have a much more practical appeal for me in that they attract a lot less attention both from the law and from other drivers.

so whats a Q car then? the lotus above is being touted as one, it clearly isnt

Two good examples are the E28 BMW M5 and the W124 Mercedes 500E. Oh, and my new Forester!;)

no point talking about 20 year old bmws, im talking current cars here :)

the forrester isnt really, everyone knows its an imreza on stilts, hence the bonnet vent ;)

• Advertisement

Q cars have a much more practical appeal for me in that they attract a lot less attention both from the law and from other drivers.
    Precisely.

How so? It's hardly bling.

lotus_carlton_side.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

I think it's more about the person behind the wheel than the car that attracts "the law" ??

I've never had a guard say, eh, flash car, get out while I fist ya for drugs!? :D

And any muppet that attempts to take on an E92 unless he's driving something equally as insane doesn't deserve the petrol you'd waste making a show of him!

I think the S5 is more subtle but then again, it's not an M3.

lotus_carlton_side.jpg

What do you mean by "bling"? It's certainly not subtle anyway.

A q-car for me is generally a very subtle saloon that goes like the clappers. Edit: or even better, an estate.

no point talking about 20 year old bmws, im talking current cars here :)

the forrester isnt really, everyone knows its an imreza on stilts, hence the bonnet vent ;)
    I was only kidding about the Forester, it's not even that fast, just unlikely. The trend in recent years seems to have been away from Q-cars, even 1.8 litre Audi & Mercedes have fat wheels and double exhausts now. I don't know if you could even order something like a BMW 335i saloon without the M-pack without going to individual?

lotus_carlton_side.jpg

bespoke rims, bonnet vents, large rear spoilers and front splitters, how in gods name is that a q car and an e60 m5 is not :confused:

I was only kidding about the Forester, it's not even that fast, just unlikely. The trend in recent years seems to have been away from Q-cars, even 1.8 litre Audi & Mercedes have fat wheels and double exhausts now. I don't know if you could even order something like a BMW 335i saloon without the M-pack without going to individual?

0-60 in 6.3s for the forrester, plenty quick ;)

course you can get the 335i in se trim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Your driving will determine how much attention you attract from the law, the car has nothing to do with it, it doesn't matter if you are behind the wheel of a Micra or a Lambo.

As for the attention you get from other drivers;

A) you have always maintained that you couldn't care less what others think about your car, and

B) A Forrester with 2 big fairly noisy exhausts and a huge gaping air vent on the bonnet is hardly discreet.

MarkN wrote: »
    I think it's more about the person behind the wheel than the car that attracts "the law" ??
    Not really, some cars blend in much better than others. If you're going to do the hooligan and don't want to get pulled then that's the kind of car you want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement