Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW M Series Cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭D20903

dahamsta wrote: »
    I'll take the Q car over the blinged-up wankmobile any day thanks. No doubt the E60 is a rocket, but day to day I'd much prefer a debadged E34 or Lotus Carlton.

Lotus Carlton a Q car.........get real - its more 'vulgar' than anything else mentioned here so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Anan1 wrote: »
    I was only kidding about the Forester, it's not even that fast, just unlikely. The trend in recent years seems to have been away from Q-cars, even 1.8 litre Audi & Mercedes have fat wheels and double exhausts now. I don't know if you could even order something like a BMW 335i saloon without the M-pack without going to individual?

SE no problem, you'll have to get 17"s though to clear the discs.

Two good examples are the E28 BMW M5 and the W124 Mercedes 500E. Oh, and my new Forester!;)

Who exactly is a Forester a 'Q' car to? Nice car by all means but hardly a 'wolf in sheeps clothing' is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Victor_M wrote: »
    Your driving will determine how much attention you attract from the law, the car has nothing to do with it, it doesn't matter if you are behind the wheel of a Micra or a Lambo..
    With respect, Victor, that is absolute rubbish and you know it. Until recently i've been running an 01 Forester and a 911 convertible - I saw it every day.
    As for the attention you get from other drivers;

A) you have always maintained that you couldn't care less what others think about your car, and.
    I'll make an exception for the Gardai.;)
    B) A Forrester with 2 big fairly noisy exhausts and a huge gaping air vent on the bonnet is hardly discreet.
    A Forester has one exhaust, and it's quiet. You don't really notice the vent that much on a sandy beige car. I'd prefer if it wasn't there but hey, somebody has to feed the intercooler.

• Advertisement

D20903 wrote: »
    Who exactly is a Forester a 'Q' car to? Nice car by all means but hardly a 'wolf in sheeps clothing' is it?
    Wink means joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Wink means joke.

Yeah, but you use it quite often, so it's hard to tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

De-Badge one of these puppies and I think you've the ultimate Q-Car
    http://www.carzone.ie/new-cars/BMW/5-Series/550I-SE-TOURING-AUTO/765485120080401/

Based on the wheel/tyre size listed, I'd be surprised if there are visual differences from a 523i.

eoin_s wrote: »
    Yeah, but you use it quite often, so it's hard to tell!
    That's because I spend a lot of time in that grey area between absolutely serious and absolutely not! Although, to be serious, the Forester is a bit of a Q-car in the sense that the gap between percieved and actual performance is quite large.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

With respect, Victor, that is absolute rubbish and you know it. Until recently i've been running an 01 Forester and a 911 convertible - I saw it every day.

I'll make an exception for the Gardai.;)

A Forester has one exhaust, and it's quiet. You don't really notice the vent that much on a sandy beige car. I'd prefer if it wasn't there but hey, somebody has to feed the intercooler.

Well I've been driving an M3 for 2 1/2 years and I've never even once gotten a sideways look from the guards other than at a check point when one of them complimented it. I'm no saint either I just pick and choose my hooligan moments carefully and hence have no points still (jasus talk about jinxing myself:D)

Even the attention it occasionally attracts from other drivers tends to be from blokes who would know the difference between it and a normal 3 series, just as I'd be able to differentiate your car from the standard one from a mile away.

• Advertisement

Well I've been driving an M3 for 2 1/2 years and I've never even once gotten a sideways look from the guards other than at a check point when one of them complimented it. I'm no saint either I just pick and choose my hooligan moments carefully and hence have no points still (jasus talk about jinxing myself:D)

Even the attention it occasionally attracts from other drivers tends to be from blokes who would know the difference between it and a normal 3 series, just as I'd be able to differentiate your car from the standard one from a mile away.
    The only things I can think of are that your car isn't that in-your-face? Or maybe you don't drive that hard? Or maybe you've just been lucky? Whatever it is, long may it last. Personally though, i'll take anonymous every time.

The only things I can think of are that your car isn't that in-your-face?

That's the point I've been trying to make, if it is an e46 M3 that Victor drives.

The only things I can think of are that your car isn't that in-your-face? Or maybe you don't drive that hard? Or maybe you've just been lucky? Whatever it is, long may it last. Personally though, i'll take anonymous every time.

Seriously, you should show a picture of an M3 & a Forester Turbo to someone with no idea about cars and ask them which of the 2 cars is more 'in your face' - I guarantee you that it will be the Forester.

The E46 M3 is a very 'anonymous' car to 99% of people - far less so than the E30 M3.

Seriously, you should show a picture of an M3 & a Forester Turbo to someone with no idea about cars and ask them which of the 2 cars is more 'in your face' - I guarantee you that it will be the Forester.
    I think you're missing the point, a JCB is more in-your-face than either! An M3 looks like a fast car (although granted it doesn't, to the untutored eye, look as fast as it actually is). A Forester doesn't look like it could, should, or would go very fast at all.

[/quote]A Forester doesn't look like it could, should, or would go very fast at all.[/quote]

A Forester is not very fast.

A Forester is not very fast.
    How would you define fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

Seems fast to me, fair enough its the sti version but still...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x18goizbqs4

How would you define fast?

A Forester is a quick car by all means - and faster than the average car - but its not a fast car.

A Forester is a quick car by all means - and faster than the average car - but its not a fast car.
    I think this would be a lot easier if you could read what I posted. A Q-car is a car that goes a lot harder than one might expect from looking at it. A 911 with a 4 second 0-100km/h time is not a Q-car, because it looks very fast. A Forester with a 6 second 0-100km/h time is a Q-car because it looks like a bread van.

An M3 looks like a fast car (although granted it doesn't, to the untutored eye, look as fast as it actually is).
    . A Q-car is a car that goes a lot harder than one might expect from looking at it.

So, an M3 is close to a Q-car by your own definition? Maybe not, as it still looks quick to look at it, but I still maintain that it's far from vulgar or in your face.

• Advertisement

eoin_s wrote: »
    So, an M3 is close to a Q-car by your own definition? Maybe not, as it still looks quick to look at it, but I still maintain that it's far from vulgar or in your face.
    A debadged E36 M3 saloon in dark green would make a very nice Q-car, IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ugly as hell though. :)

The problem with the modern M series cars, as I'm sure someone else has pointed out, is that "Q-carring" them is quite difficult compared to the old days. Take the badge off an E34 M5 or the alloys and spoiler off a Lotus Carlton and the untrained eye will find it pretty difficult to tell the difference from a stock car. The same can't be said for a modern-day M5, for example. For a start you'll have a giant hole in your wing where the ridiculous M5 badge goes. A replacement exhaust set'll probably cost a few quid too...

I wouldn't go that far with any of them though. Despite the angry rhetoric of the angry-child above, you simply can't compare the likes of a Lotus Carlton with a modern-day M5. The M5 screams what it is, the Carlton simply suggests that there's more there than meets the eye. I don't like screamers in the coupe or saloon format, I'd prefer something neat and relatively unassuming.

With the possible exception of the E30 M3 of course, the only 3 series M car worth a damn.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

The problem with the modern M series cars, as I'm sure someone else has pointed out, is that "Q-carring" them is quite difficult compared to the old days. Take the badge off an E34 M5 or the alloys and spoiler off a Lotus Carlton and the untrained eye will find it pretty difficult to tell the difference from a stock car. The same can't be said for a modern-day M5, for example. For a start you'll have a giant hole in your wing where the ridiculous M5 badge goes. A replacement exhaust set'll probably cost a few quid too...

I wouldn't go that far with any of them though. Despite the angry rhetoric of the angry-child above, you simply can't compare the likes of a Lotus Carlton with a modern-day M5. The M5 screams what it is, the Carlton simply suggests that there's more there than meets the eye. I don't like screamers in the coupe or saloon format, I'd prefer something neat and relatively unassuming.

With the possible exception of the E30 M3 of course, the only 3 series M car worth a damn.

adam

Now you have confirmed what I suspected earlier, you have no idea what so ever about cars, resorting to childish comments like blinged out wankmobiles, then refering to other posters as angry children, you really get your point across in a mature manner!

Knock yourself out with a Lotus Carlton by all means, it was an ok car in the 80's but nowadays it's just a crap car, only made worse by you removing the spoiler and thus removing a major part of it's aerodynamic properties.

Like the M cars or dislike them, I really don't give a toss, but to dismiss all but the E30 as good cars, and vouch for a lotus Carlton instead say lots about your taste in cars (or lack of!)
    The M3 has for a long time been the bench mark in Saloon/Coupe performance motoring, maybe not to everyone's taste, but all superb cars, none the less.

So maybe try to fill your posts with occasionally interesting commentary rather than abuse and vulgarities and you may be taken a little more seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

My black e46 CSL is Q enough til i hit the sport button.

sounds like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gykMNGAGGA

Then .... Is Q for Quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

adam

are you just guessing or making stuff up as you go along?

heres a 520d sport
    gbwm5se03.jpg

heres an m5

BMW_m5_2005_10_fw.jpg

how does the car below scream anything? quad exhaust aside its difficult to tell the two apart.

the lotus carlton is far louder, youd need to debadge, change the exhaust, de flare the arches, change the bonnet, change the front bumper to make it look like a normal carlton?

im flabbergasted at your post :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Bit sensitive there girls, did I touch a nerve?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

blinged-up <SNIP>mobile
    the angry-child above,

What have we here ...a "hard man" ?

just cut it out ...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

nope, just contradicted yourself a lot,

why not back up your earlier statements instead of resorting to insults that a 6 year old could better :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

biggus wrote: »
    My black e46 CSL is Q enough til i hit the sport button.

sounds like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gykMNGAGGA

Then .... Is Q for Quiet

Good video, but check out these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qju9iEFqp3Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnNUESDgaEI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,433 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If you're going to do the hooligan and don't want to get pulled then that's the kind of car you want.

That's a pretty good definition of a Q-car :D

Advertisement