Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCI tour of Ireland ???

Options
  • 23-06-2008 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Hi All :)

I am a bit bored ... there are no new threads, with the Unfriendly cycling weather ...
    Anyway, Has any of you heard of the UCI tour of ireland being back this year? I know it was very badly advertized last year, but still, I was there with my Media Pass the 1st 2 days, got to meet plenty of Pro and it was great ... we even got to get my BFs Cervelo bike fixed by the CSC mechanics!!! And was very proud to Marshall in town on the last day in Dublin too.

Anyway ... does any of you guys know if it's on this year again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

27 - 31 August Launching 26 June 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Downtime wrote: »
    27 - 31 August Launching 26 June 2008.

Weeheeee!!!

They're being crap at adverizing again this year ... not a poster in bike shops last year and now they're waiting the 26th of June to launch the thing ...

Oh well - I will still go to it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Is it easy enough to get a media pass - I want to take a few photos?

I was actually covering for a friend last year the 1st day, I didn't get the pass for fun ... Don't think they'll need me this year ... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

• Advertisement

That'd be great if they did some kind of 'sportive/etape' kinda thingy too...

That'd be great if they did some kind of 'sportive/etape' kinda thingy too...

We could just hijack the course and ride some of it :)

We could just hijack the course and ride some of it :)

Yeah I am in!

Yeah I am in!

Going on last years course, stage five would be really easy, 140 odd k from Athlone to Dublin, and no climbs to speak of.. they do get a bit bumpy around Kerry though :)

Going on last years course, stage five would be really easy, 140 odd k from Athlone to Dublin, and no climbs to speak of.. they do get a bit bumpy around Kerry though :)
    We'll have to wait what kind of stages they're planing this year. It being the 10 year anniversary of the tour de my great country Irish start ... ( not sur ethat'll have an affect at all actually ) - Still - Cant wait for thursday to see this year route.

Wonder what CSC rider will be there too ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Slaney Cycling Club are celebrating the TdF 10th anniversary with a memorial ride of one of the stages from Enniscorthy to Cork, unfortunately on the same day at the Ring of Kerry though. (You probably know this.)

blorg wrote: »
    (You probably know this.)

Yeah - I've heard of that... doing none of them though :(

Yeah - I've heard of that... doing none of them though :(
    Any reason why not? Are you occupied on that day (you are doing the Sean Kelly IIRC?)

blorg wrote: »
    Any reason why not? Are you occupied on that day (you are doing the Sean Kelly IIRC?)

Going to see 'Uncle Sean' yeah :) Last year I met the Man Himself the following day of the SKT, at the tour of Ireland Press day in Kilkenny and I promised myself I would do it this year ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

its starting outside dublin this year and finishing the week in cork,
    ill be there for the tour again this year, csc team hmm had a run in with frank or andy schleck last year at the quality hotel in galway, poor olds souls reckon their special, they could do with a good feed.

its starting outside dublin this year and finishing the week in cork,
    ill be there for the tour again this year, csc team hmm had a run in with frank or andy schleck last year at the quality hotel in galway, poor olds souls reckon their special, they could do with a good feed.

Yes, Met them too ( attached Pics I took ) - I can't wait for this year :) And I hopefully the weather will be as nice as last year:D

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

I was down to attend media launch tomorrow but unfortunately REAL work committments mean I can't make it!

If any one is interested I have a pile of photo's taken at the press launch in Kilkenny the day before the race last August, from the start of Stage 1 and from stage 4 in Galway on this site - http://pix.ie/liamr/albums

Ignore the boring, family, non cycling albums!

King Kelly wrote: »
    If any one is interested I have a pile of photo's taken at the press launch in Kilkenny the day before the race last August, from the start of Stage 1 and from stage 4 in Galway on this site - http://pix.ie/liamr/albums

Ignore the boring, family, non cycling albums!
    Amazing i have almost the same shots as you :D and I couldn't see me on any of your photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

That's why my horizons aren't straight - I was trying to shoot around you!

King Kelly wrote: »
    That's why my horizons aren't straight - I was trying to shoot around you!
    That's what people usually do when I'm around. A bit less now though as it's easyer to get rid of ugly peopel on bad shots with digital cams.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Stage details now up. Looks like a tough parcours. Columbia/High Road and Slipstream already confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Beached

All stages in the southern part of Ireland again.
    Think ill try catch the Dingle stage. climb the Conor pass and all things going well, be in Dingle for the finish then. The tour is going into dingle then doing a lap of slea head before hitting dingle again, that should give me time

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The 900km race has been awarded a 2.1 ranking on the UCI calendar
    http://www.tourofireland.ie/tour.html

What does that mean?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raam wrote: »

All explained here.

Raam wrote: »

I suspect it's the standard the race is -if you google UCI 2.1, you get a few hits on races around the world -it's maybe to signify that it's a little race, but still pretty tough?

The '2' bit means that it is a multi-day race, and the '1' that it is a category 1 race (the category just below the top, HC/Hors Categorie.)

ANyone fancy havin a spin out to Rathdrum way to see the boys fly by?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

Suprised the stage starts and finishes are different places...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I suspect it's the standard the race is -if you google UCI 2.1, you get a few hits on races around the world -it's maybe to signify that it's a little race, but still pretty tough?
    The ranking has partly to do with the standard of organisation, e.g. press facilities on the finish line, safety barriers, TV coverage nationa/international, neutral service, road closures and marshalling. It also affects the type of team that will come or who can be invited.

The Ras is 2.2. The Tour Down Under is 2.HC (hors categorie).

If the Ras were higher than 2.2, club riders would not be eligible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

ANyone fancy havin a spin out to Rathdrum way to see the boys fly by?

Would need to take a day off work, but in principle, I'm in.

Advertisement