Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tune - In brine / sunflower oil???

• 23-06-2008 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi
    I have started to eat tins of tuna as one of my snacks during the day. I find it fills me up great.
    Which is better to eat? Tuna in brine or sunflower oil??

Also i eat from tin but am i supposed to drain the oil out first???
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Well brine is salty water so in theory that would be worse for you than the sunflower oil.Also tuna in brine tastes disgusting,oil for me every time and yes,do drain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Gurlzie1

Get tuna in brine and drain it then add a table spoon of olive oil to it.
    Theres a higher amount of monounsaturated fat in olive oil than sunflower oil which is meant to be better for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

You can buy tuna now in spring water, presume that's best of all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 dymondz

Thanks for that. Ive never tried brine, but salted water??? dont think ill try it so.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Tuna in oil has twice the calories of tuna in brine, so that's something to factor in. I get tuna in spring water in the UK, but am having trouble finding it in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

dymondz wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Ive never tried brine, but salted water??? dont think ill try it so.

I used to eat it in brine but found it a little too salty for my taste. I switched to sunflower oil after much nicer plus sunflower oil isn't really bad for you anyway. Just drain it off as much as possible before consuming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Moon_Eyes

Marks & Spencer do tuna in spring water, it' s in a dark blue labelled tin. It's better for you than brine or oil too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 dymondz

Going shopping after work so i will pick up tune in brine to try it. I didnt know you could get it in spring water too so ill keep an eye out.

Also is one tin a day too much??

dymondz wrote: »
    Also is one tin a day too much??

It's generally more than ideal, yes. I've posted in other threads about this, but because of the high mercury levels in tuna, you should try to restrain yourself to about 3-4 cans per week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

If you rain the brine off, then fill the can will water, then drain that it will take some of the salt out, rinse a few times if you find it too salty.

Personally my favourite is tuna in brine, as I hate oily things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Gurlzie1

Faith wrote: »
    It's generally more than ideal, yes. I've posted in other threads about this, but because of the high mercury levels in tuna, you should try to restrain yourself to about 3-4 cans per week.

What about salmon instead of tuna then?

Yeah, salmon is fine, I don't think it has high mercury levels like tuna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

brine springwater and oil all have about the same amount of added salt.

John West Tuna in brine - 0.4g sodium per 100
    Sunny South Tuna in brine - 0.3g sodium per 100

John West Tuna in springwater - 0.3g sodium per 100
    M&S Tuna in springwater - 0.3g sodium per 100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yay no guilt about brine \o/

No I have to kid myself that O'Brien's uses low-fat mayo >_>

Advertisement