Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Foo Fighters cover 'Baker Street'.

• 23-06-2008 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

Apparently the Foo Fighters covered Gerry Rafferty's 'Baker Street'. But I can't find it anywhere, anyone know where I might be able to listen to it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭brown-dog

No way - im on the search now so if I find it I will post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

I read this on wikipedia- so maybe its a wind-up, but its been covered by so many different people that it wouldn't totally suprise me if it was true.

It's a great cover,you'll find it on most torrent sites..If I remember correctly its on a bootleg b-sides and covers album

Deadly! thanks- I'll have a listen at lunchtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

It's a great cover, I heard it a few years ago. It came out on the deluxe version on The Color and The Shape last year IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah it was recorded years back wasn't it? I remember hearing it and thinking "Ooooh that's cool".

Yeah its good- it sounds a bit like a Nirvana song the way they played it. thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

That's sounds good. Don't know how I haven't heard it till now.

I challenge anyone to listen to the original and not be whistling that saxophone bit to themselves afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Tommy the Cat

Not a big fan of the Foo's but its a class cover..it fcuking rocks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dreaming-field

Yeah same - I don't know how I havent heard it until now. Really good though. I love the Foo's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Yeah same - I don't know how I havent heard it until now. Really good though. I love the Foo's

Its been around for years, its the b side to the my hero single. My band plays it at covers gigs and it always goes down well

Do the Foo F.'s do any other covers like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

yea, heard it a long time ago. one of my favourite covers. they have good versions of Down In The Park and Darling Nikki aswell

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

thats cool alrite,you cant beat the original though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Love the original but the foos did the song proud

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

The song " color and the shape" is one you should check out, and "Iron and Wine" and A320.
    Should be able to get em on you tube, or the torrent sites.

I like the way in the original that the sax is allowed to take prominance. These days alot of bands bring in a horn just to play a few backing notes in the chorus- all so that they can say something like 'we're really experimental because we use saxaphones'. When really the song is just another indie bore.

I was trying to think of other songs that are similar to Baker St. and theres only one I can think of where an instrument is used like this- I must stress that I do not by any means think that the following song is better than baker st. but have you ever heard 'Young at heart' by 'The Bluebells'? Check out the cool fiddle riff- believe me, even if you can't stand the song, you're going to be whistling that bit to yourself for the rest of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Lily Was Here by Dave Stewart and Candy Dulfer features a lot of prominent sax. It's an instrumental though.

Advertisement