Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best (for you) Porridge/Oats ?

Options
  • 23-06-2008 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Doing some research a to which oats/porridge is the best for you. Steel rolled oats ?

Found McCanns Oats here ...http://www.mccanns.ie/index.html
    Anyone ever tried them ? Never seen them in shops here though.
    They say they do almost no processing on the whole grains which leaves the endosperm, bran and germ intact.

Can a similar product be gotten here ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

General rule: the less processed something is, the better for you it is. Steel cut oats are supposed to be the best, but off-hand, I'd say that any porridge oats that are distinctly oat-shaped, are fine. I usually try to buy the organic jumbo oats, which look pretty much like what I used to roll for the horses back when we did it by hand.

From what I can gather, the average American thinks of a sort of Ready Brek thing as oats. They expect something you can just pour hot water on top and it's ready. Having to actually cook your oats for ten minutes is not something they do, but we think is just part of making porridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

brianon wrote: »
    Can a similar product be gotten here ?
    yep
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055214323
    I have gone back to normal oats though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

rubadub wrote: »
    yep
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055214323
    I have gone back to normal oats though.

Yeah I bought pinhead oats the other day. Took like half hour to cook and I think they should have been on for longer. Not ideal in the morning when you are trying to get your daughter ready for creche ! :)

I'll be going back to normal oats also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

ive noticed that pinhead oatmeal has only about 1/3 the ammount of fibre per 100g as normal porridge?? only 3g per 100 with the flahvans one ...

corkcomp wrote: »
    ive noticed that pinhead oatmeal has only about 1/3 the ammount of fibre per 100g as normal porridge?? only 3g per 100 with the flahvans one ...
    It should be the same. I think you might be mixing up the fibre per portion (usually 30g) with fibre per 100g. That makes sense to be out by 1/3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

rubadub wrote: »
    It should be the same. I think you might be mixing up the fibre per portion (usually 30g) with fibre per 100g. That makes sense to be out by 1/3.

nope - was comparing fibre / 100G of two diff products i have ..
    odlums porridge = 9g fibre / 100G
    pinhead = 3.2g fibre / 100G (will have to double check which brand the oatmeal is...)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 HELM

What about Flahavans Quick Oats - 2 mins in microwave, am I kidding myself that this is porridge and so is a good breakfast? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

HELM wrote: »
    What about Flahavans Quick Oats - 2 mins in microwave, am I kidding myself that this is porridge and so is a good breakfast? :confused:
    its more of a scam tbh,the ingredients are still just oats but dearer!you can cook jumbo oats from the bag in the same time as the microwave pack.

corkcomp wrote: »
    nope - was comparing fibre / 100G of two diff products i have ..
    odlums porridge = 9g fibre / 100G
    pinhead = 3.2g fibre / 100G (will have to double check which brand the oatmeal is...)

I am almost certain both my odlums had the same info, I am always checking stuff like that.

It is something to watch for. Tesco had a "value" version of oats once and it was low in fibre. Many of these products are left-overs or by products of other products. You can buy wheat & oat bran which is very high in fibre. They strip the bran coating from the outside to give a high fibre product, then the leftovers go into these cheaper products.

This happens with peas too, never buy "mushy peas" in a tin, pick up 2 tins and compare. Many of these soluble fibre supplements are made with pea fibre. They obviously mince up peas and extract the fibre somehow, and call the leftover waste mushy peas. Then the snakes have the nerve to charge more for it!. I like mushy peas so just get normal ones and mash them up.

The microwave packs are a total scam. Another tip is to soak overnight in the fridge, especially the pinhead oats, gives them time to absorb and works better in the microwave. Also I soak oats in cold milk and honey and just eat it cold on hot days. You can just add milk to oats and eat like museli, but if soaked it is more filling as it puffs up.

Advertisement