Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dimoto

Hi guys,
    Million thanks to this forum, it just saved my bloo...y money.
    I had two interesting offers, matching exactly all the storys in this post.
    And I was ready to send the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Since I started looking at this post - I can't trust any private seller ads on carzone anymore.
    As I haven't sold my own car yet, I hadn't taken much notice of the seller's contact details - now I notice a lot of 8-digit 01 numbers.
    It really means now that carzone is becoming an unusable site for genuine private sellers.:(

SPAM:
    Found in Carzone, and another irish sites, 27th of October, 2008

1. "Audi A4 S-Line 2004 , 1.9 TDI

The price is 5800 Euros

115 bhp ,Alloys, Sunroof, Metallic Paint, Electric Windows, Central Locking, Remote Central Locking, Alarm, Immobiliser, Driver's Air Bag, Passenger Air Bag, Multiple Air Bags, Air Conditioning, Climate Control, CD Player, Adjustable Steering Wheel, Heated Seats, DVD !

Excellent Condition, the car was kept in a garage , it has Audi service book,the tires have been changed recently, and doesn't need repairings.It has no engine problem, no scratches.
    Registered in Ireland .The car is at the moment in Liverpool , UK"

Also, be aware SPAM :

Make Mercedes
    Model E Class
    Engine 1.8L
    Gearbox Auto
    Body Estate
    Price € 10,500
    Year 2003
    Colour Silver
    Mileage 73,000 ml / 117,482 km
    Condition excellent
    Doors 4 dr
    Notes Tax 01/2009, ABS Brakes, Airbags, Cruise control, Electric Seats, Electric Windows, Full Service History, Metallic Paint, , 1 owner(s)|MERCEDES BENZ E 200 CLASSIC OWNED FROM NEW( OCT 2003) WITH 73000 MILES IN PERFECT CONDITION , PARKING SENSORS LEATHER INTERIOR 1800CC VERY BEST EXAMPLE ON SALE AT €10500.00 ..SERIOUS OFFERS CONSIDERED - EMAIL ANY TIME AT: nelson.reinhard@yaho

Location ,
    Dublin
    Contact Tel nelson.reinhard@yahoo.com

Online Ad Link: http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?id=2488893

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

dimoto

there are hundreds and hundreds of these on carzone mate. You'll drive yourself demented

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

BraveDonut wrote: »
    Since I started looking at this post - I can't trust any private seller ads on carzone anymore.
    As I haven't sold my own car yet, I hadn't taken much notice of the seller's contact details - now I notice a lot of 8-digit 01 numbers.
    It really means now that carzone is becoming an unusable site for genuine private sellers.:(

Well all I can say is I have bought two cars over the last two years from carzone and both from private sellers and it was fine. You just have to be very careful. I notice a lot of the scam ads just say to email the seller and have no phone number at all. I have been browsing the site a lot lately and I am amazed at the numbers of scam ads that are on it. I replied by email to a few which I felt were too good to be true (and I was right) and got that usual email about someone dying and the car in Liverpool etc., and I reported all of these to carzone. When I checked the cars the next day they were usually marked as 'sold' so carzone must remove them if they are reported.

I know what you are saying though. Its very off-putting to have this kind of thing happening on a site like carzone. I would prefer this site to any of the others. But maybe if I am buying and selling again I might try the local papers or the buyandsell.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hammertime wrote: »
    dimoto

there are hundreds and hundreds of these on carzone mate. You'll drive yourself demented

+1, no need to post each one. Just have common sense when looking for potential motors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Carzone isn't cheap - I wonder if they're making any money on the scams?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Carzone isn't cheap - I wonder if they're making any money on the scams?!?!

Well if they do it, it means it is worth it.

I got mine last car from Carzone, Clk200. It was one of those adds, with really low price. It was 8keu for 2000 clk200.( they did go for 14-15k at the time)
    Thought add did had Phone numbers and it was in Cork. So really no scam. And when i got car i knew why i payed less for it, i spend 100eu just to clean inside of it :D. It was shocking, i newer knew that small kid, can make such a dump in car!

I ussually dont even check those adds where you see car sold for 30% of their real price. Becouse it is just some one messing around or scammers.

Just buy cars from ireland, or if you did found a car in england, just get plane tickets and go see it yourself. No BUTS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Monsoon26

7 cars, spot the scam..oh tough one..!:rolleyes:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Porsche/Boxster/2004

I wouldn't mind, but I clicked on the "report this add" to carzone for this one about 2 weeks ago..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Monsoon26 wrote: »
    7 cars, spot the scam..oh tough one..!:rolleyes:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Porsche/Boxster/2004

I wouldn't mind, but I clicked on the "report this add" to carzone for this one about 2 weeks ago..!

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/2008

nice cheap one at the top. i contacted him and got a nice story back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭seasam

What's the story with this one do they think somebody is going to transfer money and go to Liverpool to collect a 93 Pajero !!

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mitsubishi/Pajero/2.5TDI-7/200840190284204/advert

They didn't even change the year or mileage

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mitsubishi/Pajero/2.5TDI-7/200845190772395/advert

Carzone is getting full of this rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

seasam wrote: »

The 087 phone number in this ad is missing 2 digits. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

Is it just me or does anyone else notice a ell of a lot more scam adds on carzone?
    Lots of wel-below-average priced cars with UK or non-sense phone numbers.
    Wonder how many ppl are caught out..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Also alot of scam artists from Northern Ireland & UK are making a bid on cars, then sending bouncy-bouncy bank-drafts......my friend just witnessed this :eek:

seasam wrote: »
    What's the story with this one do they think somebody is going to transfer money and go to Liverpool to collect a 93 Pajero !!

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mitsubishi/Pajero/2.5TDI-7/200840190284204/advert

They didn't even change the year or mileage

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mitsubishi/Pajero/2.5TDI-7/200845190772395/advert

I emailed the guy and here's his response

Hello , My name is Anderson Vespo .
    First of all I have to tell you that the car is in good condition, has no technical damage at all, no scratches no hidden defects and no involved in any accidents .
    I have worked in Ireland for the last 2 years and I’ve purchased the car there. My team-work wanted me back home, so currently I’m in Helsinki,Finland . The car is in London,UK right now(garage keept).I decided that is better to sell it because the price to bring it here in Finland is to high . Also here in Helsinki the cars are left hand drive .
    I realize that is a cheap price for such a car but my special situation makes me do things that I wouldn’t do in normal circumstances.The price I am looking for my car is 1200euro.
    If you decide to buy the car I can take a fly to London,take the car and meet you in Ireland. I can email you some pictures and more details about it .
    Let me know what your decision is !
    Thank you in advance !
    Dr.Anderson Vespo ,

I think I'll string him along a bit !!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Isisnt there some law in Finland that means you can import your car tax free if you are there for more than 6 months or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

your wasting your time email these cowboys,he'll just move on to the next guy that emails him. instead we should be getting on to Carzone.ie and others to stop taking these guys money for advertising non existing cars with false/unverified contact details. These type of adds wastes everybodies time.

Your right I'll just leave it ,they must be making some money out of the scam paying 40 euro an ad. Carzone will be slow to do anything also as they are making a lot of money out of it I'd imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

This has got to be a scam right

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Mondeo/Ghia-X-2/200846190828111/advert

I liked "I wait your questions at...".

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mairtinomarta

I received the email scam, where I was offered a bank draft days before they would come to inspect the car.

Thanks for your mail.

I have just contacted my fiduciary agent to pay for the car by bank draft for 13500euros which will be from an Irish bank and it will only take 2 to 5 days to clear into your account,the draft will gets to you early next week and Inspection will be done on the car by Mid next week. I need the car for my family and I need to act fast in buying it,I will need you make available all the relevant documents for the car .

The Following details will be needed by the Bank to issue out the draft to you:

1, Full Names

2, Full Address

3, Phone Numbers

Reply.

Regards

Does anyone think if the guards would be interested? I assume that someone would come to collect the car, so maybe they could arrrest them? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

Think I've found a new hobby stringing these fookers along :P jaysus you'd just have to laugh at some of em'!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 amulvan

i emailed this guy about a car add on autotrader i saw yesterday that seemed to good to be true, so i said i check into this guy on the web and see if i could find anything out about him, and seen ye thread on this scam artist, i'm going to try and get more info from the guy and report him to autotrader and the guards not that it will be much good !

Hello ,
    My name is Anderson Vespo .
    First of all I have to tell you that the car is in good condition, has no technical damage at all, no scratches no hidden defects and no involved in any accidents .
    I have worked in Ireland for the last 2 years and I’ve purchased the car there. My team-work wanted me back home, so currently I’m in Helsinki,Finland . The car is in London,UK right now(garage keept).I decided that is better to sell it because the price to bring it here in Finland is to high . Also here in Helsinki the cars are left hand drive .
    I realize that is a cheap price for such a car but my special situation makes me do things that I wouldn’t do in normal circumstances.The price I am looking for my car is 2000euro.
    If you decide to buy the car I can take a fly to London,take the car and meet you in Ireland. I can email you some pictures and more details about it .
    Thank you in advance !
    Dr.Anderson Vespo ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mollybid

Hi guys,
    Im new to this- Ive just reistered....whats the scam with anderson vespo. I mailed him about a 2000 mercedes slk 4000 euro . The reply is the same as one on this forum but he said he will come to ireland from finland to meet me to give me the car. confused & little disappointed :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 amulvan

Hi there,,,he seems to be placing cheap car adds on various car sites and using the same standard email,,, i guess he is trying to lure you into paying a deposit to him and then he'll feck off,,,

i tried to get more info from him on proof of ownership, car reg's, nct scan, etc and he replied with below, then sent me pictures and obviously some picture were just snapshots from another car site as some were saved as .jpg and some .gif etc which is completely a joke also the add for the car had 79K and see below he says 93K so he caught himself out....becareful

Hello ,

The car is registered in Ireland . It is in excellent condition, garage kept, no accidents, no scratches, no dents, no need for additional repairs and I have all the necessary documents including the service book to make the sale.
    The car have 93,000mileage .The NCT expiry date is Jun.2009. The car have the road TAX paid . The engine size is 1968cc .
    I have a friend in London,UK where the car is located right now . I can ask him to bring the car to your place(Ireland) . Will be that ok for you ? For me will be great . This way I can save money for plane ticket to London. Total price will be 2000 euro .
    You have pictures attached .
    Thank you !
    Anderson Vespo ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mollybid

Oh- thanks for that...Yes that all sounds very familar to my email from him...it actually looked way too good to be true but I couldnt resist emailing... He has advertised this on autotrader and carzone also. He said he would send me more pictures if I wished.

I definately won't be replying to that one!!!
    Thanks very much- you just saved me a whole lot heartache & a whole lot of money :D
    very sad that this happens - Im currently selling my car privately but to think that there are people who just try to scam others in this way. Not fine at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

antodeco wrote: »
    Isisnt there some law in Finland that means you can import your car tax free if you are there for more than 6 months or something?

Yes, basically if you live in Ireland etc you can get a car from Germany for instance, keep it here or in Germany 6 months and then take it to Finland tax free.

btw Anderson Vespo it´s not even close to Finnish name either...

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

I was selling my car on carzone about a year and a half ago... and received mails from a Delmond Henry...

"Delmond writes:
    I would like to enquire about the 1999 Hello, Nice to see this car of your on the advert, i will like to know if it's still available for sale?? kidnly give me the last price offer, and tell me the present condition of the car, i look forward to heqr from you soon."

Went through a few mails where he asked for location etc etc... when i realised it was going nowhere i ended contact immediately...

Got this then from another person.. 'Eric'..

"Eric writes:
    It's my pleasure to came accros your car which was placed for sale and i found it interesting after going through the condition.Could please furnish with the present condition and give me your last asking price for it.Hope to read from you soon.
    Eric."

Needless to say i ended that one quicker haha...

Amazing after reading through this thread though - how many scams and peoples experiences with them are happening through carzone... its ridiculous...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭positron

I think this is a much more elaborate operation - its not just one person sitting at a internet booth trying to scam people - I think there are many tiers in this. For instance, when I emailing a 'Ann Hand', her (!!) initial responses was from someone with good language skills. A few mails later, the mails became hard to understand and when I made it sound like I am going to pull out, the next mail I got was again from the original guy/girl. I think some the dirtbags have recruited hoards of people somewhere to follow up on the leads they create...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

I've seen a few example on the net of leading them on etc etc but im too lazy for all that.. just easier to report them...

Advertisement