Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 inthewoods

I got an identical message from Dr. Aostolakis Clementidis after emailing the seller of this vehicle.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Fiat/Panda/1.1i-4-D/200851191223707/advert#

Looks like a scam to me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

I saw this ad on Carzone: http://www.carzone.ie/1101467

Nice 1 year old car, great price..... or maybe too great!!

I contacted the seller through carzone & got this reply:

So I emailed the seller back & asked for a telephone number & his reply minus a telephone number is:

I think this smells too fishy to be true....What do you folks think ??:eek:

This is another Nigerian scam, it shows in the style of written english used. He wants to know the MTN receipt number, thats why he is asking for a copy of the receipt. Then he will have some fake ID with yr name made up, and with the fake ID with the mtn number he can go to any western union office and withdraw the money. you will turn up to get your car, and noone will be there to meet you. You will go to western union to ask for your money and surprise!!! you withdrew it in some far off land you've never set foot in, and the police in that land will not be bothered to investigate cos they do not care and they Police here can not investigate it cos its outside their juristiction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 famousfrog

Hi Everybody, Has anybody got the same replies when selling a car. It sounds like a scam.

Im selling a car and recieved an email from somebody who said they were interested. They looked for some more details about the car which I sent. Then I recieved the following reply:

Hello,
    HAPPY NEW YEAR, Thanks for the mail.I really like the car and i am interested in buying it, i like to pay you in cash at hands but right now I'm not within your reach that i could easily come for the payment and pick-up the car myself, so we need to talk better on another means of payment which is by (AIB Bank Draft),which is more secured and better than any other means of payment.

Your car is what i have been searching for in the last 2 months.Thanks for everything. Please help me take good proper care of it because i know by now its mine.But right now the month and year is drawing down to an END and i can see that i finally got one.
    Really i want you to please send more pictures if available and if not its okay.
    I'm from London,England,UK. But i live by the sea side in The Republic of Denmark cos am a SAILOR. I always come home (London) every 4 Months to see my wife and kids and travel back to my place of work in Porto. I'm purchasing your car for my wife and kids.

kindly get back to me, So i may know if you prefer my means of payment for your car. Thanks for the mail...The payment will be in advance and i will need the following info
    1)Get back with the name to be written on the Cheque..
    2)Your address where it is to be deliver.
    3)Your phone contacts (home/office/mobile) for an effective communication.
    Also,I have forward your mail to my Associate to send you the payment and also instruct him to include the shipping fee to your payment,because he has arrange for the shipping.
    I am really glad that you want me to get the item and i will be happy also when i actually get it.Please email me back today.
    PLEASE NOTE: That the Banker's Draft will be cleared first before releasing the car.
    Hope to read from you soonest, Please kindly get back to me fast. you can also call me on 00447533358090
    Regard
    Richard Williams.

What do you think? Scam or not???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

A Richard Williams from England using such bad english???? :eek::confused:

Good luck. :rolleyes:

P.C. wrote: »
    A Richard Williams from England using such bad english???? :eek::confused:

Good luck. :rolleyes:

Thats what I was thinking :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

famousfrog wrote: »
    What do you think? Scam or not???
    Obviously a scam :D

I think the moral of the story here is just stay clear of advertising with carzone.ie in the future!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sllessax

I did a little hunting around after I got a reply similar to the ones you guys are talking about. This would appear to be the original post, on carlist.ie

http://www.carlist.ie/vehicles/view/82776-fiat-panda-dublin?r=/vehicles/78,630/-5000/2004-2005/*/flat/

As you can see, the price of the car is actually EUR 4,995 and there is a mobile number in Ireland to go with the ad. It would seem this scammer has just lifted the ad and used it themselves for this scam. I have contacted carzone.ie and reported this advertiser.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

sllessax wrote: »
    I have contacted carzone.ie and reported this advertiser.

Shane

your wasting your time, this is Carzones bread and butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nikki kk

oh my god I cant believe it I got the exact same e mail from that creep Dr Aostolakis Clementidis very same story but a different car a 00 volkswagon bora did a check with cartell everything checked out but he wanted me to wire the money through moneygram when I heard this I said no way so I rang the number of this non existant shipping company and looked for the agent Steve had it out with him and knew by his whole demeaner he was lying so I phoned the Police Service in London and reported him just be careful these people have a way of being believable. Thank god I had the gut instinct to stear clear its a very clever scam though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 neboboy

Hi guys just new to this,

But just to let you all know , I caught this guy out and got him reported to the Yahoo Fraud team , I also reported him to the carzone team , his accout has now been deactivated by both yahoo and carzone and Yahoo are tracing the server he used in Nigeria , also they have deleted the access panel to the site he was trying to get people to send money to , and money sent on the site will be sent straight back to the user,

they have also mailed the details to the Microsoft fraud team to investigate the website further before he closes it down ,

Also just on this , anyone calling themselves a Doctor will have any papers they have done posted on the world medical accociation , so googling a Doctor will always bring up something about them ,

Never Divulge where you are from until the last minute when he syas where he is from tell him you live near by and you can come around an view the car , if he replies straight back thet he will sell the car to somone else , immediatly report them to the e mail companys fraud or spam team , or the website that they are selling the car on ,

Also any website they give you , go to Yahoo or Google business directories and search for them , if they are not there they do not exist,

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭the lady

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mini/One/1.6/200902191396232/advert

This is the mail i got from the owner who claimed to be an Irish lady

The price is 5000Euros
    Petrol, 3 doors, manual transmision, black, 75000miles,new timing belt fitted.
    NCT 08/2010, Tax 09/2008, Black Mini with Chrome Silver Mirrors. C/W adjustable steering wheel, alloys, CD Player, airbags, rear headrests etc. Spotless inside and out. Lady owner.
    Excellent Condition, the car was kept in a garage , it has Bmw service book,the tires have been changed recently, and doesn't need repairings.It has no engine problem, no scratches.
    Registered in Ireland .The car is at the moment in Liverpool, UK.
    I live in the USA, I bought the car for my sister who lived in Ireland and then moved to UK. Unfortunately she died recently and I cannot take the car with me.
    You do not have to pay any taxes for this car. It is very easy to register it to your name .
    I have all the documents ready for sale. The car documents are on my name, so it is very simple.
    As payment I only accept cash and we will have to meet in Liverpool for the sale.

Thank you and I hope you will decide to buy my car.
    Here are some photos.
    Many thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Scam, run.

Ask her where baouts in the UK and tell her that you have a brother who lives near there and that you will meet them there and hand the money over in hand , if they reply straigh back and say that they are going to sell it to somone else then its a defo scam , I will shut em down if they are,

Also why is the reg covered , tell them you need the reg to verify it with the customs office , which is true, if they will not give you the reg then they are a scammer,

If the also tell you to use a specific shipping comany say no way ,
    Any other replies you get let me know and I will get em shut down

my guess is the next email would be a request for money with a generous offer to pay the shipping costs from Liverpool.
    Ah well, it gave me a giggle anyway

neboboy wrote: »
    Also why is the reg covered , tell them you need the reg to verify it with the customs office , which is true, if they will not give you the reg then they are a scammer,

They can give you the reg. They've taken those pictures from another legitimate add, so they can give the reg off it, and all will show up clear.

They can give you the reg. They've taken those pictures from another legitimate add, so they can give the reg off it, and all will show up clear.

yeah suppose your right there, muppets from Nigeria again , imsure carzone could tell you who the car is registered to on there website , and if 2 people have it then they know theres a problem

the lady wrote: »
    my guess is the next email would be a request for money with a generous offer to pay the shipping costs from Liverpool.
    Ah well, it gave me a giggle anyway

Wana give me the email address the mailed you on and I will get it shut down,

Ask her where baouts in the UK and tell her that you have a brother who lives near there and that you will meet them there and hand the money over in hand , if they reply straigh back and say that they are going to sell it to somone else then its a defo scam , I will shut em down if they are,

If the also tell you to use a specific shipping comany say no way ,
    Any other replies you get let me know and I will get em shut down

Thanks for the offer but I won't be contacting the seller again, if they get in touch I'll let you know.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the offer but I won't be contacting the seller again, if they get in touch I'll let you know.

Oki Dokies , here to help :)

Wana give me the email address the mailed you on and I will get it shut down,

Edit: Pm'd with the email instead
    This was a scammer i annoyed a few months back. Actually, come to think of it, i think it was the same car.

PMd you there, I'm a few posts behind with my replys!

PMd you there, I'm a few posts behind with my replys!

I will have it shut down by tomorrow,
    thanks guy/gals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

Those motorfinder guys are now using irish mobile numbers to contact people. Got a call from an 087 number this morning to find an english accent , we're a service called motorfinder etc.. told her where to go. At least before this they were normally uk/cypriot numbers :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 magoo1234

Gumtree Dublin ad #33333377: 2003 MINI COOPER S. try e mailing this scammer- no ph no. just e mail address-same guy different ad-

RE: Your Gumtree Dublin ad #33333054: 2004 54 AUDI A3 2.0 TDI SPORT *FULL LEATHER + SAT NAV*-

heres what he sent me-what a laugh!!
    Hello ,

Thank you for your interest in purchasing my car.
    The vehicle is in good condition, has no technical damage at all, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects, no smoking.
    It's fun and robust to drive. Technical inspection and emissions testing is passed and stamped as well. It has title of ownership, cleared of any obligations or fees and comes with all the documents you need to register it.
    I have worked in UK for the last 2 years and I've purchased the car there. My company wanted me back home, so currently I'm in Rome, Italy. I've bring the car home with me. I decided that is better to sell it because I don `t use it anymore (the wheel is on right side and is very difficult for me to drive it in Italy) and it `s a pitty to keep such a car and not to use it.
    I realize that is a cheap price for such a car but my special situation makes me do things that I wouldn't do in normal Circumstances.
    The price I am looking for my car is £3,000 including the shipping costs,insurance and handling(delivery to EUROPE).
    You will not have to pay additional taxes for this.
    Please feel free to email me with any questions you may have.If you are really interested i will send you my phone number to call me.
    Thank you and have a nice day!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Smirky

Just had the following exchange (see below) from a scammer alias mentioned previously in this thread aka:

gontard.yves@gmail.com

Have had some unconvincing scam attempts recently so I put on my car advert that I wanted an Irish number to call, if the initial contact was being made by email. Sure enough they sent an Irish number, but it doesn't ring so got suspicious.

Can anyone tell me, is there ANYTHING productive that can be done that will result in some action being taken against these F*%^&%rs?

Can we report them to the Gardai, GMail or who?

Please let me know who to contact & i will happily report them to anyone who will listen

Anyway transcript was as follows, will let you know if his"wife" calls me:

Received from Carzone:

Name: Gontard Yves
    Phone No: 0872249869
    Email Address : gontard.yves@gmail.com
    Ref/URL: http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/325-Cabr/20090XXXXXX/advert
    Comments: I would like to enquire about the 2004 BMW 3 Series 325 Cabriolet Sport TipTronic. Is that car still available?

My Response:
    Yes car still available, tried your mobile but couldn't connect with it. You can call me on 087 XXXXXX. Thanks. S

Him:

Hi,
    The car is excellent for me. I live in USA and I will come in Ireland to buy your car. I will pay you types.
    I can come has 23 December and I can send you a part of money first if you can reserve me the car. But first please to send me the documents (photos of the ie log book, with chassis number and all the details that i need if i want to verify the car),if I can be sure that there is not problem with the car.
    I must verify before I will come in Ireland.
    My wife want's to see more pictures of the car, I'm going to buy this car for my wife who lives in Ireland!
    Thank you,
    Gontard Yves

Me:
    Sorry Gontard, due to the high level of Phishing & Internet Scamming taking place the only way this car will be sold is face to face & NO documentation will be sent over the internet until after we / your wife meet in person.

If your wife lives in Ireland I can bring the car to her to see it and leave copies of any relevant photos or documents with her when a deposit is paid. I have tried to contact you / your wife with the Irish mobile phone number that you provided but the number does not work & this makes me suspicious.

Please ask your wife to call me using the number you provided, in order to verify that this is not a scam. If I do not receive a phone call I will have no choice but to pass all of this information to the Police, your Internet Service Provider, Vodafone & GMail and report it as attempted fraud.

If you are a genuine interested person then you will understand that the above measures are necessary both for your and my safety.

I look forward to hearing from your wife in the next few days, otherwise I will forward this exchange to the authorities immediately.

Thanks & regards,

S

Once they start telling you things you didnt ask about get outta there,
    the nest thing to do is what I have done to them , mail the email team who issued the account and go to their fraud team and report them as using their mail system for fraunlant behavior, then they will be shut down , also use the sectoin in carzone at the bottom where it has report a problem with this add, the more people who click on report this add and report it the quicker they will be removed, Ive already shut down 2 of em .

Go through the proper channels and shut them down fro mthe inside,
    if they are gmail contact g mail if they are yahoo contact yahoo, its fun to watch em squirm ,

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

This was a reply i had to a query about a volvo...when i asked him why he said the car was in cork,...no reply yet ...... geram@ymail.com this was the email addy

Dear customer ,
    I am so glad to see you interested .
    First of all I have to tell you that the car is in good condition, has no technical damage at all, no scratches no hidden defects and no involved in any
    accidents .
    I have worked in Ireland for the last 4 years and I’ve purchased the car there. My team-work wanted me back home, so currently I’m in Athene,Greece.I left
    the car in London,UK at one my friends.
    Right now the car is in London,UK on garage keept.I decided that is better to sell it because the price to bring it here in Greece is to high . Also here
    in Athene the cars are left hand drive .It's very hard to drive a right hand car here.
    I realize that is a cheap price for such a car but my special situation makes me do things that I wouldn’t do in normal circumstances.The price I am
    looking for my car is €1,650.
    If you decide to buy the car I can take a fly to London,take the car and meet you in Ireland. I can email you some pictures and more details about
    it .
    Let me know what your decision is !
    Thank you in advance !
    Dr.Aostolakis Clementidis ,

• Advertisement

This is a Nigerian scammer I shut down last week he is using another mail address cos I shut down his other one , leave this fool to me I will shut him down and get him off the site, ass hole this lad is,

Im gona bury him ,

Make sure you click the link on the car zone page , just report it as spam mail that the person does not actually own this vechicle and they are requesting you to send money , I will then follow it up with the mail issuer and get them to shut it down

Advertisement