Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,276 ✭✭✭✭Esel

neboboy wrote: »
    Make sure you click the link on the car zone page , just report it as spam mail that the person does not actually own this vechicle and they are requesting you to send money
    Carzone don't take any action - they are getting paid by these guys!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 neboboy

esel wrote: »
    Carzone don't take any action - they are getting paid by these guys!

Carzone have to take action its in the clause you agree to when you sign up with them , if you are involved in fraudulant behavior or are using the site for anything outside the gournds on which you have agreed to they can delete your advert, they already deleted the mini and the Hyundai Coupe that I reported, by law they have to investigate it and take the required action . so make sure you report it if its a scammer,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I have a car on carzone for sale and am getting 2-3 bull**** emails every day.

Now they are phoning me today with +357 numbers which is Cyprus and another time it is +1234567...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Casspian

I had almost identical message (lots of red flags for me, looks definitely like a scam)

Hi,

The car is excellent for me. I live in USA and I will come in Ireland to buy your car. I will pay you types.
    I can come has 23 January and I can send you a part of money first if you can reserve me the car. But first please to send me the documents (photos of the ie log book, with chassis number and all the details that i need if i want to verify the car),if I can be sure that there is not problem with the car.
    I must verify before I will come in Ireland.
    My wife want's to see more pictures of the car, I'm going to buy this car for my wife who lives in Ireland!
    Thank you,
    Gontard Yves

In a couple of e-mails he was insiting that I send him scan of vehicle resigration certificate. I did not. I told him I can go with his wife, who supposedly lives in Ireland, to Garda station so that she can verify that vehicle reg cert is genuine, emphasising I will not send him the docs. So he audaciously replied:
    "Ok, so send me the docs". What a scum_bag.

Does anybody know what does he need that info for? To clone a stolen car in US, UK or Ireland? Or to do other type of identity theft? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Casspian

Forgot to add that this scam mail was sent to me from already previosuly mentioned Yves Gontard
    gontard.yves@gmail.com

• Advertisement

Attention..the photos from my car have been used in a fraudulant scam

Heres what has happened:

I have a car for sale on carzone for the last few months. The first month was in November and I got an email from Mr Gontard Yves. Now I bought the whole thing for awhile and even sent him extra photos. Then it became obvious it was bull**** so I ignored him

Now get this....he is now using the photos that I sent..to advertise the same car for €5k (mine is €25k) on carzone..

I had no idea until a random punter rang me said that the same car reg is being advertised twice in carzone for that price...I reported to carzone and they are taking the ad down.

Moral...never send additional photos...

Yeah good call there man , never send any furhter informatino , and if you are , ask them for their mobile number so you can send it to them ,
    That way if the say no you know well its a scam,

If you dont have a mobile in Ireland there is something wrong with you ,
    So ask them for their details fiirst before sending anything on to them ,

I think this thread is hepling a lot of people out as when you google their names and email address the first thing you get is this thread, the more we say about these Nigerian [EMAIL="w@nkers"]w@nkers[/EMAIL] the better,

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Hartyk87

al. wrote: »
    Is anybody familiar with escrow as a method of paying for goods?? I am buying a car from Germany and the buyer wants me to pay by Escrow and he will get the car delivered to my address. If i am happy with it, the money will be released to him. Is this a safe way of paying somebody?? Thanks.

Hi I hope im not too late I do a bit of buying and selling cars as i go. I have folders of emails from people such as these scammers and i Esure you you will be left without car and money. You should only buy a car with hard cash thats my opinion and also face to face where you are comfortable to make a judgement yourself.

My understanding of escrow is that a 3rd party holds the goods.

Who will be the 3rd party?

To answer the question I would run a mile from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

I had same expereince. See below email:

Hello,

The car is in a perfect cosmetic and engine conditions, and meticulously maintained. No damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects, the engine doesn't smoke, runs and sounds awesome, the engine has never been repaired or something like that, never been into accidents and it is as advertised.It have NCT and TAX until November next year.
    The tires have been changed recently, and there is no problem of engine, body, etc.
    Irish registration. The car is at the moment in Liverpool, England and i am in Germany right now, with business.
    Payment will be made only in cash when we meet to make the deal if you decide to buy the car.
    Several buyers have wasted my time, i am looking for a serious buyer so Please don't spend my time with endless discussions or pure curiosity.
    Hope you understand my position and looking forward to hear from you only if you are really interested.
    If you want to give me a call you can reach me at +447547041627 (UK number).
    Have a nice day.

Regards.
    Daniel

Then after replying to him got another reply..See below:

Hello,

I am able to come myself with the car somewhere in Dublin.
    I will not ask for money in advance, but you must reserve the car and I will come only if you are decided to buy it because as i said i am in Germany, working here and don`t want to loose precious time...
    To make sure you want to buy this car I require that you arrange a deposit paid on your name for the price of the car in Liverpool UK.
    With regard to the deposit, there is a service very fast and easy to use, the name of service is Western Union, it is a service to send money and you will find it in your city. All that you must do is to ask a person that you trust to go to a Western Union with the cash and to send it to Liverpool to your name as receiver.
    You can go with your wife or a best friend at a local Western Union office and ask her/him to send the money to your name in Liverpool England.
    Nobody can pick up the money from Liverpool, only you as a receiver.
    Once money are sent to your name in Liverpool you will have to send me a copy of the transfer so i can see that with my eyes.
    When everything is done, i`ll go to Liverpool, take the car and drive it to Ireland. When we meet you will have time to make a test drive, check car`s history or any other test you require. If car is as expected, in good condition we will go together at the Western Union office and the sender (wife or friend) can take back the money and you can pay me in cash or your name as the receiver in Liverpool will be changed into my name and i can pick up the money when i return to Liverpool.
    Until then You will be the receiver of the money and nobody can pick up the money from Liverpool.
    Hope you understand my concerns as i do not want to loose my time.
    If you want to give me a call you can reach me at +447547041627 (UK number).
    Please don't call me to spend my time with endless discussions or pure curiosity. Call me only if you agree with my option.

Thank you and looking forward to have a nice and pleasant transaction.

then again following email after my reply to above email:

YOU HAVE TO MAKE A TRANSFER AND NEVER PICK UP THE MONEY,

You have to make the payment by Western Union to your family name here in liverpool only so i can be sure that you want to buy the car, So the sender name you are and the receiver name is your wife,
    Only i need a proof, Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

email address is danieldaniel.1wow@yahoo.co.uk and name of the person is Daniel Butler

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escrow

this might answer some questions about the company!!!

letus know what you think!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

What is the safest payment method. A bank draft?? Can a bank draft bounce?

no it cant bounce just be can cancled.!!

Hartyk87 wrote: »
    Hi I hope im not too late I do a bit of buying and selling cars as i go. I have folders of emails from people such as these scammers and i Esure you you will be left without car and money. You should only buy a car with hard cash thats my opinion and also face to face where you are comfortable to make a judgement yourself.

Never send money to an escrow company that they recommend, always find your own one , these sites are created by them and the center where you deposit the money to them is actually linked to their email address and the money goes to them not to any company , its like its being linked through the site to their own persoonal account , its complicated,

but if you find out where they are then you can easily google holding companies in that area, under no circumstances should you ever use a site that they recommend,

Tell em you want to view the car first and ask tfor the VIN , this is a must for Escrow companies you must have the VIN which is the Vechicle Identity number, do your best to not disclose where you are , find out where they are first and tell em you have a friend who lives near by who can check the car out for you , or that you are goign to get in touch with a garage in the area to cehck it out for you ,

• Registered Users Posts: 22,276 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Why bother with all that escrow mallarkey at all? I've never heard of a genuine seller or buyer wanting to use an escrow service tbh. Enough cars and buyers out there to do a regular old deal.

Not your ornery onager

Yeah I completly agree,but having these posted up here helps people out ,
    it is a sad state of affairs these people trying to scam people out of money , I love shutting them down , bunch of saps.,

If you want a car from overseas then you should be the one requesting a n escrow company not them ,
    But yeah I agree with the way the market is now you would easily find the car your looking for if you search hard enough

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Originally Posted by Hartyk87 viewpost.gif

My question is, what is the safest form of payment?????

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Originally Posted by Hartyk87 viewpost.gif

My question is, what is the safest form of payment?????

The only safe form of Payment I know of is Paypal ,

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

neboboy wrote: »
    The only safe form of Payment I know of is Paypal ,
    Sorry to rain down on your parade
    http://www.paypalsucks.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Síle28

God! I didn't realise just how many guillible people were out there! I will end this whole thread for you now, if you have to ask if it looks dodgy THEN IT IS! avoid like the plague or alternatively just flush your cash down the loo, whichever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Ryanzo

Fake escrow methods have been employed online. In an effort to persuade a wary Internet auction participant, the perpetrator will propose the use of a third-party escrow service. The victim is unaware the perpetrator has actually created an escrow site that closely resembles a legitimate escrow service. The victim sends payment to the phony escrow company and receives nothing in return. Alternatively, the victim sends merchandise to the subject and waits for his/her payment through the escrow site which is never received because it is illegitimate

The bogus escrow scam is a straightforward confidence trick in which a scammer operates a bogus escrow service.

Escrow services are intended to ensure security by acting as a middleman in transactions where the two parties do not trust each other. Rather than sending money or goods directly to the other party (which is insecure, as one or the other party must send its item first, at the risk that the other party may not reciprocate), both parties send their items to the escrow service, which holds them until both items are received, then sends each on to the intended recipient. If either party fails to deliver its part of the deal, the other party's item will be held at the escrow service and eventually returned to it.

In the bogus escrow scam, a scammer sets itself up as the recipient of money or goods and then requests the use of an escrow service which is, in fact, self-operated. This bogus escrow service assures the victim that the scammer has sent its item and that the victim should send its item to the escrow service. In fact, this amounts to sending the item to the scammer, who then immediately closes down the escrow service and does not send its item to the victim. The scammer blames the escrow service, claiming that the item was with it at the time it closed down; if the victim did not investigate the escrow service before using it, the ruse may be believed.

The bogus escrow scam is popular on eBay, where escrow services are often used for high-value transactions. The rise of Internet escrow has led to a dramatic increase in bogus internet escrow companies. However, several legitimate and licensed escrow companies do exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

kbannon wrote: »
    Sorry to rain down on your parade
    http://www.paypalsucks.com/
    To be fair, that site looks to be sponsored by a paypal rival. Their near-monopoly position isn't good, but they aren't satan either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Esure you you will be left without car and money. You should only buy a car with hard cash thats my opinion and also face to face where you are comfortable to make a judgement yourself.
    Just be careful carrying that kind of cash
    wasn't there some lad up north who went up to look at a car except they didn't have a car when he got there , they had a shotgun though so he had to hand over the money :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 pgroarke

Have eventually sold my 97 Starlet, but on the way I was plagued by several scam emails.
    Here is one guy that I decided to have an exchange with
    (note: Just to explain, I speak Swedish which is almost identical to Norwegian)
    -P

24/01/09<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    * Hi Good Day, In reference to your Car which am highly interested in buying it.
    Please let me know if its still available and its present condition ?I am really
    okay and comfortable with the data"s your illustrated on the web site but i will
    still want you to pls tell me more about it (what you did forget to add on the
    advert and updated Document of it and other information you feel someone need to
    know about) . Thanks so much and i will look up to your urgent response today
    via e-mail. Regards and have a nice day. John *
    My Name: *John Daniels*
    My Phone Number: *079XXXXXX*
    My Email Address: *johndXXXX@yahoo.com <mailto:johndeXXX@yahoo.com>*

Make Toyota
    Model Starlet 5 dr 1.3L
    Engine 1.3L
    Gearbox Manual
    Body Hatchback
    Price * € 1,200 *
    Year 1997
    Colour Red
    Mileage 73,000 ml / 117,482 km
    Condition excellent
    Doors 5 dr
    Notes NCT 01/2010, Tax 07/2009, |Excellent reliable car. Slight scrape on front
    rhs wing. Price is ONO.
    Location ,
    Dublin

24/1/09>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Of course his phone number doesn't work, so I respond by email (just out of curiosity...)

Car is still available.
    No further information other than that on the website
    -Peter

25/1/09<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    Hi Peter ****,
    Thanks so much for the mail i Really thank you for willing to sell
    the Car for me and i want you to know am really interested in buying
    it from you.
    what is the last asking price for the car.
    as for the payment,i will be paying with a Certified Bank Draft drawn
    from a local bank in Europe and as for the shipping i will handle that
    myself by contacting my international shipping agent to handle that
    for me.Also can you help me send
    more pics of it if you can and if not you don't need to worry yourself .
    I am based in Oslo Norway were i work as a Minner but originally from
    Wales(Dad if from Wale and mum from Oslo Noway).so i will want you to
    get back to me so that we can conclude on everything and get the
    payment to you soon.
    If you are okay with me,then you can mail me back and let us conclude on everything today.
    Thanks so much.
    John

26/1/09>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Hi John,
    That is a fantastic coincidence your mother is norwegian !
    I speak norwegian myself and it is in fact my mother tongue, so I prefer communicating in norwegian.
    Please let us conduct the business through norwegian.

Vad bra att din mor är norsk.
    Det är faktiskt min modersmål också.
    Kan vi försätta det här samtalet på norska.
    Jag ser fram emot att sälja min bil till dej.
    Priset är nio hundra euro.
    mvh
    Peter

[Note I have given the final price of the car above in words in norwegian]

27/01/09<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    Thanks peter,
    But i am not good in their language okay? so i would want you to tell me what your last asking price is for the Toyota Starlet 1.3L

John

28/01/09>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Hi John,
    I am surprised at your question as I sent the price in Norwegian in my email.
    I assumed you could speak Norwegian as

(1) you are living in Oslo
    (2) your mother is Norwegian
    (3) your English is so poor I assumed you must have another mother tongue.

Is your mother tongue Welsh ? If so here is the final asking price:

Brisio ydy 'n naw cant euro

I look forward to your reply,
    Peter

Escrow is scam. My brother joined a fake site at the request of a buyer on ebay. scammed out of a 2k laptop from some guy in england.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Grá25

Hey,

Just reading all of your posts. My husband and i both have our cars for sale on carzone and got a call last week(the only one we've gotten for either car) and of course it was a scam. Cyprus number telling us they were uk finance company and if we paid €250 to register with them our cars would be sold same day!!! Obvious scam. Very disheartening tho have been trying to sell cars for two months. We have a 457 sponsorship visa to Australia. husband supposed to start work out there next month but if we don't sell cars before then we won't be going anyhere. Really annoys me if these scams weren't taking place we might have had more- no some anything even one genuine phone call.

My car is a 2008 ibiza selling for around 11k and his is a 2007 Leon 1.6r sport selling for 18500 ono-Cheap!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

The Ibiza price is alright, but i'd say the Leon price is too high. Try dropping it a bit.

And yeah, i would imagine that is surely a scam!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Grá25

Yeah maybe dealers looking for 21500 for exact same Leon tho! only 11000m lots of extras. don't know tho looks like we couldn't give them away at the moment!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

The key word in your last post there was looking for that money. What you need to do is, find out how much you could import one for, with VRT, and drop it to that price.

The book value of it is around 13k based on it having 35,000kms on it.

Advertisement