Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Car Dunce

I was scammed. Beware this one is very clever.
    Responded to ad on Carzone. Did an on line check. All OK except Tax out of date which was OK as the seller had said so. Arranged to meet to see car. All OK. Arranged to have car checked out by a mechanic I know. Car checked out OK. Bought car using a combination of cash and bank draft. Filled in registration form and received documentation in my own name. Discovered later that my new car was actually stolen but had the plates VIN and chassis numbers of a legit car of the same make, model & colour.
    How it works: They view a car that is for sale and take all its details, VIN etc. Get someone to steal an identical car to order by stealing the keys.
    They apply for a replacement tax / vehicle registration book under a false name. The Motor Tax office do not check the name and address only the car details but they issue the replacement documents in the new name to the given address. They quickly move on. They are expert in changing the VIN and chassis numbers. You do not discover the scam for months when the Guards arrive to impound your pride and joy or you start getting billed for crossing the M50 toll without paying on a day you weren’t near it.
    Some things that I should have picked up on. 1, I never got to view the car at the sellers home, always some excuse. 2, The price was too good too be true. 3, The seller was east European, claimed to be Polish. Turns out he was Romanian. Call me stupid if you like. I been calling myself worse. This scam works. I met 3 others scammed by the same guy at a Garda station. They had caught the seller and held an identity parade. We all identified him but that’s months ago and I have heard nothing since. Guards have told us that we have no chance of seeing our money again. Always view the car at the sellers house and if it seems too good to be true then it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

31 pages of scams in the last 9 months?!?!? Is there any point even looking at the site? Would I be safe enough with the recognised dealers on there?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Good idea.

I wrote some downright rascist abuse stuff back to him about him, his wife, his mother and basically the entire African continent

I's say even the KKK would have winced...lol
    I'd say he cried bitter tears. Me, i'd put racists a little below scammers on the food chain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 neboboy

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd say he cried bitter tears. Me, i'd put racists a little below scammers on the food chain.

Good work everyone , the more we talk about scammers and spammers the more we can stop people from getting draw into these scams,

If people google their names or email address they will come straight to this forum , so always put up the email address you received from them and the name they used so that people who google the names will get this page, :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Gut instinct? Scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Gut instinct? Scam.

+1

Although iv seen (and bought) cars that seemed to be scams... Some people HAVE to sell cars at times!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Yeah, but it'd be a bargain at twice the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Why not just ring the number? Could be damaged/repaired either. We could spend all day guessing...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Anan1 wrote: »
    Why not just ring the number? Could be damaged/repaired either. We could spend all day guessing...;)

did .. left 2 vm with number .. no response

• Advertisement

When did you leave the messages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

yesterday and today, i understand he may just be busy or other .. but as peter parker would say..

Well in that case its either a scam
    or
    a very lazy and stupid seller

You dont want either especially when importing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Ted10

Nice stolen Verso here. This registration was recorded stolen on the Police National Computer on 15 Mar 2009 by North Yorkshire Police.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Corolla-Verso/T2-D-4D-/200911192112230/advert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Annie82

Hi guys, I actually am Ann Hand... All this started with my car abou a year ago. I started seeing the ads up on carzone and a few other sites when one guy hunted me down on a networking site to let me know what was happening. I then started getting calls from the cops, I had to go and meet a detective from the fraud squad and answer tonnes of questions, to confirm that I am not actually scamming people. I also know that people have actually sent money to this person which I feel really bad about!! I and the cops have reported it several times to the various websites but the are useless!!!! They take it down and then a couple of hours later the ad is back up again. So basically guys, I'm sorry if any of you have been caught out by this a$$hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

Guys, is it safe to go through the "dealers" on carzone.ie? Or are both the "private" sellers and "dealers" equally likely to be scams?

I'm scared of even looking at the site now! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

here is an example letter from the scammers from car sites:mad:

Name: fred smith
    Phone: 2348084835605
    Email:
    fred_holy3310@yahoo.com
    Comments: hello,
    i saw ur advert about the car u wanted to put for sale and am interested in it, i just want to know the last price of it and the condition so i will send u a check that will be more than ur money so all u need to do for me when the check arrive to u is to deduct ur money from the total money on the check and the balance should be send to my agent that will come for the pick-up, so all i need from u if u are okay with all this,is to send ur name an d ur address that will be on the payment, i want u to get back to me very soon.
    thanks, so i will be waiting for your reponse.
    best regard

fred

Please do not respond to any means of contact from this person or others similar to this.

Annie82 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I actually am Ann Hand... All this started with my car abou a year ago. I started seeing the ads up on carzone and a few other sites when one guy hunted me down on a networking site to let me know what was happening. I then started getting calls from the cops, I had to go and meet a detective from the fraud squad and answer tonnes of questions, to confirm that I am not actually scamming people. I also know that people have actually sent money to this person which I feel really bad about!! I and the cops have reported it several times to the various websites but the are useless!!!! They take it down and then a couple of hours later the ad is back up again. So basically guys, I'm sorry if any of you have been caught out by this a$$hole.

Hi Ann , I think I know you , this Is Gary ,
    I have shut down quite a few of these guys over the last few months,
    I lead them into thinking I am going to buy from get as much info as I can from them ask them some simple questions and then find out what server tey are using and contact there ISP and destroy them from the inside,

I shut down a large group or Nigerians a couple of weeks ago cos one of em let slip where he was and I found out the area server they where using and it was an illegal broadcaster and I think Yahoo shut it down,

If you get any details of peole using your details let me know their email and I will see what I can do,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Hi Guys,

ANOTHER CARZONE SCAM MAIL, just got it ... ( I recently put a car up for sale there )

SUBJECT: HONDA INTEGRA € 5,400 (Stg £ 5,019) ono

Hello,

I'm Mike John by name ,I came across your contact details through web directory concerning your car you have for sale and im highly interested in purchasing it.I will like to know all the details about the car before proceeding with the payment.....

1. How long have you owned it?

2. Why are you selling it?

3. Asking Price?

4. Any available photo?

So, your swift response to these required information would be highly entertained before proceeding, if its still for sale. get back to me with the above information or call me on

phone number+447024068063
    Regards .
    Mike John

Yahoo Address: mike.auto1000@yahoo.com

What is Web Directory :D - how vague is that. Is their anything sacred or unspammed these days!

Aidan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Simeadrach

While selling my Hyundai Coupe on Carzone I was contacted by a bloke who seemed genuinely interested.

After a few emails back and forth he agreed to buy the car without even looking at it, so alarm bells start ringin straight away!

Then he emails me the below:

"Thanks for your mail.
    I have just contacted my fiduciary agent to pay for the car by bank draft for XXXXX euros as a deposit for the car and when coming to ship the car,the balance will of XXXXX euros will be paid in cash,the draft will be from an Irish bank and it will only take 5 days to clear into your account,the draft will gets to you early next week and Inspection will be done on the car by Mid next week because I have to travel tonight . I need the car for my Wife, ,I will need you make available all the relevant documents for the car .
    The Following details will be needed by the Bank to issue out the draft to you:
    1, Full Names
    2, Full Address
    3, Phone Numbers
    Reply.
    Regards "

The price he was offering in the email was slightly more than the agreed price.

Is this a scam? ;)

So far all i've had from Carzone is scam artists, 4 so far now! has anybody found any genuine buyers/sellers or is the whole bloody site one great big Scam??

Now if you will all excuse me, I'm off to discuss with my fiduciary agent whether or not I can afford to buy some chinese food for tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

The scam is everwhere its all over the Jobs page on gumtree as well for a laugh I tried to find it on the personels ie Women looking for men.Its even worse there! I to would love to know of a procedure to follow when buying a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Yes its a complete scam...I had 20-30 of such emails.

At the start I believed it and I even sent on extra photos of the car and photos of the paperwork until it was clear it was all bull****...

But get this....it gets better...

The guy then set up an ad in Carzone advertising my car and using my photos advertising the car for €5k. My selling price was €25k (2006 BMW). He even set up a new email address using my name..!!!:eek:

I have to check every week and then ring Carzone and Car Buyers Guide to have the ad taken down...it has appeared 5-6 times. I also just email him abuse to feel better.

DON'T SEND ON ANY PHOTOS.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Simeadrach

Luckily I didnt send any photos I only discussed the price.
    Cheers for the heads up tho.

Does it help if you report it to the Gardai at all, probably not I know but can they do anything.

I'm being even more naive now but I thought i'd check anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Simeadrach wrote: »
    While selling my Hyundai Coupe on Carzone I was contacted by a bloke who seemed genuinely interested.

After a few emails back and forth he agreed to buy the car without even looking at it, so alarm bells start ringin straight away!

Then he emails me the below:

"Thanks for your mail.
    I have just contacted my fiduciary agent to pay for the car by bank draft for XXXXX euros as a deposit for the car and when coming to ship the car,the balance will of XXXXX euros will be paid in cash,the draft will be from an Irish bank and it will only take 5 days to clear into your account,the draft will gets to you early next week and Inspection will be done on the car by Mid next week because I have to travel tonight . I need the car for my Wife, ,I will need you make available all the relevant documents for the car .
    The Following details will be needed by the Bank to issue out the draft to you:
    1, Full Names
    2, Full Address
    3, Phone Numbers
    Reply.
    Regards "

The price he was offering in the email was slightly more than the agreed price.

Is this a scam? ;)

So far all i've had from Carzone is scam artists, 4 so far now! has anybody found any genuine buyers/sellers or is the whole bloody site one great big Scam??

Now if you will all excuse me, I'm off to discuss with my fiduciary agent whether or not I can afford to buy some chinese food for tea.

Think I had the same guy onto me this week. I'll give them this - they're getting better! A few emails discussing price before drafts and fidicuary agents are mentioned..... I really thought I had a genuine buyer!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭redabbey

BMW Z4

This looks like a scam too me. Weird Dublin Phone Number.

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=2923910

Surely a scam,since most 06 VW Golf GTI's are priced between 17k - 20k

It reads that it has been checked by motor check .ie but there is no contact details I doubt its a scam Id say its just a mis print, it happens sometime it might by 14900 or 19,400 doesnt seem like a scam seems like an unfinished advert as there are no contact details,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

I deleted my post, i sent email to seller to query price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Well i emailed the seller about the VW Golf GTI and got this email in reply

Surely a scam

2006 Volkswagen Golf GTI Turbo 4900 euro
    Mileage : 27,962 miles

Adjustable Steering Wheel, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, CD Player, Driver Airbag, Electric Windows, Immobiliser, Multiple Airbags, Rear Head Rests, Remote Central Locking, Sports Suspension, Sunroof, Traction Control.

Excellent Condition, the car was kept in a garage , it has VW service book,the tires have been changed recently, and doesn't need repairings.It has no engine problem, no scratches.
    Registered in Ireland .The car is at the moment in Liverpool, UK.
    I live in the USA, I bought the car for my brother who lived in Ireland and then moved to UK. Unfortunately he died recently and I cannot take the car with me.
    You do not have to pay any taxes for this car. It is very easy to register it to your name .
    I have all the documents ready for sale. The car documents are on my name, so it is very simple.
    As payment I only accept cash and we will have to meet in Liverpool for the sale.

Thank you and I hope you will decide to buy my car.
    Here are some photos.

• Advertisement

Well i emailed the seller about the VW Golf GTI and got this email in reply

Surely a scam

2006 Volkswagen Golf GTI Turbo 4900 euro
    Mileage : 27,962 miles

Adjustable Steering Wheel, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, CD Player, Driver Airbag, Electric Windows, Immobiliser, Multiple Airbags, Rear Head Rests, Remote Central Locking, Sports Suspension, Sunroof, Traction Control.

Excellent Condition, the car was kept in a garage , it has VW service book,the tires have been changed recently, and doesn't need repairings.It has no engine problem, no scratches.
    Registered in Ireland .The car is at the moment in Liverpool, UK.
    I live in the USA, I bought the car for my brother who lived in Ireland and then moved to UK. Unfortunately he died recently and I cannot take the car with me.
    You do not have to pay any taxes for this car. It is very easy to register it to your name .
    I have all the documents ready for sale. The car documents are on my name, so it is very simple.
    As payment I only accept cash and we will have to meet in Liverpool for the sale.

Thank you and I hope you will decide to buy my car.
    Here are some photos.

Can you gimme this lads email address I loved destroying these [EMAIL="f@ckers"]f@ckers[/EMAIL],
    I will make sure he cant use hia mail ever again ,

Muppets , I hate them , send me the full email , forward it to me dont mail it to be , I need the headers on the mail to delete the account ,

my address is neboboy69@yahoo.co.uk

Cheers bud , leave him to me ,

Advertisement