Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,278 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's . . . . . . . Neboboy! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fiona500

Well i emailed the seller about the VW Golf GTI and got this email in reply

Surely a scam

Haha! Exactly the same email someone was sent last June when they inquired about a Ford (it's on page 1). Can't believe the wanker has been running the same scam for nearly a year without getting caught. I wish it was possible to send real viruses through the computer. ****er deserves a good dose of the 'flu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 neboboy

Fiona500 wrote: »
    Haha! Exactly the same email someone was sent last June when they inquired about a Ford (it's on page 1). Can't believe the wanker has been running the same scam for nearly a year without getting caught. I wish it was possible to send real viruses through the computer. ****er deserves a good dose of the 'flu.

Any mails FROWARD them on to me and I will deal with them by contacting the ISP and deleting the accounts they use as a breech of the terms of use policy ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ycolgan

I know a lot of posts have been posted about this but....
    I have a Ken Blacher e-mailing me willing to pay the full price for my car that I'm selling in carzone.
    Grammer very poor, so I take it his first language isn't English.
    He wants to collect is and is looking for address so his shipper can collect as soon as funds are transfered.
    He wants my full name for cheque, address, mobile and land line.
    Says a client owns him money and he will issue draft of €19,000 (only looking for 12,500???? He said to deduct the cost of the advert and the remaining balance will be sent to shipper through western union money transfer.
    He is compensating me €50 to remove my advert from site.
    also ignore any emails relating to this that don't come from him as it might be his partner.
    What the hell???? Really want to sell car, but don't want my car robbed form outside house.
    Any replies appreciated.
    Y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭CarCity

Here are a couple of scam addresses we have recently come across.

willysimth1224@yahoo.com
    mike_moore255@yahoo.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ycolgan wrote: »
    I know a lot of posts have been posted about this but....
    I have a Ken Blacher e-mailing me willing to pay the full price for my car that I'm selling in carzone.
    Grammer very poor, so I take it his first language isn't English.
    He wants to collect is and is looking for address so his shipper can collect as soon as funds are transfered.
    He wants my full name for cheque, address, mobile and land line.
    Says a client owns him money and he will issue draft of €19,000 (only looking for 12,500???? He said to deduct the cost of the advert and the remaining balance will be sent to shipper through western union money transfer.
    He is compensating me €50 to remove my advert from site.
    also ignore any emails relating to this that don't come from him as it might be his partner.
    What the hell???? Really want to sell car, but don't want my car robbed form outside house.
    Any replies appreciated.
    Y

Scamtastic, tell him where to go. If it sounds too good to be true....it probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Hmm.. Liverpool crops up again. And I got the same email as the Golf GTI when inquiring about a TT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I had just about enough of calls from those UK 'found-you-a-buyer' people. They bug the feck out of me ..

Anyway, last Saturday at 10am after only getting in at 7am :) .. the phone went and caller said "I'm phoning about the ad you placed online and I'm calling from the advertising dept and I just wanted to see if .."

.. I exploded with 'Have you no morals, can't you get a decent job were you don't have to harass people ..'

She said .. "but Sir, I just wanted to let you know as you'd sell your car faster if .. "

... I jumped back in "Faster if I let you screw me and rip me off and let you con me that you have some UK buyer who has no sense but to buy a car from Ireland for three times the price he'd get the same car for the UK! Is that what your telling me!? Why don't you just get a proper job!"

After a long pause .. "Sir, this is ****** from Carzone I'm just calling to let you know that you have to upload your photos again as there was a problem with the site which is now sorted".

:eek:

I could have died. All I could do was apologise over and over. The shame :o

Nico

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 neboboy

Nico22 wrote: »
    I had just about enough of calls from those UK 'found-you-a-buyer' people. They bug the feck out of me ..

Anyway, last Saturday at 10am after only getting in at 7am :) .. the phone went and caller said "I'm phoning about the ad you placed online and I'm calling from the advertising dept and I just wanted to see if .."

.. I exploded with 'Have you no morals, can't you get a decent job were you don't have to harass people ..'

She said .. "but Sir, I just wanted to let you know as you'd sell your car faster if .. "

... I jumped back in "Faster if I let you screw me and rip me off and let you con me that you have some UK buyer who has no sense but to buy a car from Ireland for three times the price he'd get the same car for the UK! Is that what your telling me!? Why don't you just get a proper job!"

After a long pause .. "Sir, this is ****** from Carzone I'm just calling to let you know that you have to upload your photos again as there was a problem with the site which is now sorted".

:eek:

I could have died. All I could do was apologise over and over. The shame :o

Nico

hAHAHA THATS GAS,

Well it might prompt them to actually do something about their privacy policy and maybe make them change there terms and conditions for their website,

They should make it so that the adverts must be verfied by a phone call from the seller before you are allowed to sel lit on the site,

Also you should have a plicy in affect that if its a scam it will be removed straight away ,

but then again that wasnt your problem your problem is the feckers ringing you all the time , they rang me last week about my Civic and I was like yeah yeah credit card details yeat gave him a phoney name and the he asked me for credit card number I simply said yeah its 5464775 go [EMAIL="f@ck"]f@ck[/EMAIL] yourself up the ass with your fathers d!ck , and I hung up , muhahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Citroen/C4/200912192217654/advert

What kind of phone number is that?

If it's not something odd, what are Citroens like, and what makes the car change colour so dramatically (or is it just odd photos)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Thoie wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Citroen/C4/200912192217654/advert

What kind of phone number is that?

If it's not something odd, what are Citroens like, and what makes the car change colour so dramatically (or is it just odd photos)?

Bad photos...but ya, whats with the number:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

EPM wrote: »
    Bad photos...but ya, whats with the number:confused:

Meh, will just write it off as a scam then - I thought I was just having difficulty recognising phone numbers for some reason :)

Another query I have - general advice here is not to buy a car from someone unless you meet them at their house, but general internet advice is not to go to people's houses, or invite them to yours. For example I sometimes put stuff up on freecycle, but I always hand it over in a public place near my place. As either a buyer or a seller I wouldn't fancy inviting strangers to my house the first time I'm meeting them. Would an acceptable alternative be meet them somewhere public (but convenient for them) the first time to view the car, then if you're going to buy do the handover at the house? And what about taking a car for a test drive - I wouldn't want to hand over the keys of my car to a complete stranger, but I wouldn't want to get into a car with a stranger either. If I bring a friend/friends along, would that just make the other person nervous?

Is there a set way of doing these things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

al. wrote: »
    Is anybody familiar with escrow as a method of paying for goods?? I am buying a car from Germany and the buyer wants me to pay by Escrow and he will get the car delivered to my address. If i am happy with it, the money will be released to him. Is this a safe way of paying somebody?? Thanks.

Apologies if this has been posted already but found this on CarZone.ie's actual website regarding scams which thought might be of note ..

Carzone On Scams

Nico

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Anyone know how the fake adverts are getting on to carzone?
    They're private seller ads which should cost 39.95.
    I assume the adverts have to go through the purchase process and they supply credit card details so are the scammers using real credit cards or generated card numbers.
    If they are using real credit card numbers then don't Carzone have an obligation to stop scammers working off valid credit cards.
    It's bad enough that the adverts are there and potential buyers can fall victim to the scammers but if real credit card numbers are being used then somebody has already had 39.95 taken from their credit card account.

Do carzone actually care or are they happy to get the 39.95. There must be hundreds of those scam adverts on the site because I keep coming across them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Examples please!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Examples please!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055320098

One or two here.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Buffman

It's all done with stolen or skimmed/cloned credit cards, they're not actually going to pay for it. No profit in that. And carzone don't really give two squirts, once the money is paid anything can be put up. They usually only get deleted if people complain or the credit card company stops payment.
    On the bright side, some of them can be quite amusing.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭robnet77

beware of these two announces:
    Volkswagen Campervan for 4.900€ and Skoda Superb for 3 grands...
    They're definitely attempts of scamming...

I asked for info as I couldn't believe how cheap those vehicles were, and here are the answers (and below the related adverts), which are basically identical, though they come from different senders and regarding two different cars:

================

Hi there,
    The car is in good condition,no technical damage ,never crushed.The paint is like new.
    I`ve arrived in Ireland 2 months ago for a job practice.I have finished my work here so I have to return back home to Oslo,Norway that`s why I was forced to leave the car along with all it`s documentation(Full Service History,log book,mot certificate) in a company custody that after making a pre-buy inspection of the vehicles(at one of their partner services and HPI check ) and if everything is alright,then they will deliver at your delivery location .I have already payed for all the transaction fees to UK & Ireland area,so the delays should be as minimum as possible(delivery time: from 3 to 4 days depending on your exact location).If interested ,you will have to forward me your delivery details and I will forward them to the company in charge so they can book a transaction for you.This company is based in Sunderland ,United Kingdom and they will also transfer the ownership from my name to yours.
    The price I am looking for is 3000€ (UK Reg. ,also VRT needs to be paid)as for me to bring the car here and register it is too expensive and also the steering is on the right so I cannot use it here.

Let me know your decision.

Many thanks!

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Superb/1.9-TDI/200913192303406/advert

================

Hi there,
    The car is in good condition,no technical damage ,never crushed.The paint is like new.
    I`ve arrived in Ireland 2 months ago for a job practice.I have finished my work here so I have to return back home to Oslo,Norway that`s why I was forced to leave the car along with all it`s documentation(Full Service History,log book,mot certificate) in a company custody that after making a pre-buy inspection of the vehicles(at one of their partner services and HPI check ) and if everything is alright,then they will deliver at your delivery location .I have already payed for all the transaction fees to UK & Ireland area,so the delays should be as minimum as possible(delivery time: from 3 to 4 days depending on your exact location).If interested ,you will have to forward me your delivery details and I will forward them to the company in charge so they can book a transaction for you.This company is based in Sunderland ,United Kingdom and they will also transfer the ownership from my name to yours.
    The price I am looking for is 4900€ (UK Reg. ,also VRT needs to be paid)as for me to bring the car here and register it is too expensive and also the steering is on the right so I cannot use it here.

Let me know your decision.

Many thanks!

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Transporter/Camperva/200914192384962/advert
    ================

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭NervyChick

I was just reading through all the posts there, you really would want to have your wits about you.. unreal what kinda scams people will get up to :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fiona500

Mailman wrote: »
    Anyone know how the fake adverts are getting on to carzone?
    They're private seller ads which should cost 39.95.
    I assume the adverts have to go through the purchase process and they supply credit card details so are the scammers using real credit cards or generated card numbers.
    If they are using real credit card numbers then don't Carzone have an obligation to stop scammers working off valid credit cards.
    It's bad enough that the adverts are there and potential buyers can fall victim to the scammers but if real credit card numbers are being used then somebody has already had 39.95 taken from their credit card account.

Do carzone actually care or are they happy to get the 39.95. There must be hundreds of those scam adverts on the site because I keep coming across them.

They could be using 3V Cards to purchase the ads. It means that they go into a shop with cash and buy a voucher with a credit card number on it. It is a lot more difficult (not impossible) to trace a 3V card, (there is no id needed and you only need a house address once to get the card in the post from 3V)....I doubt that Carzone would be bothered to put in the effort.

• Advertisement

plenty of advice on how to avoid scam here:

http://www.gumtree.ie/help/stay_safe#item77

and more in general: http://www.gumtree.ie/help/stay_safe

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Frank_Leach

yes, these are a scam, similar to the ones on gumtree, those composed responses offering the asking price, if only you will post it to nigeria and forward your paypal details for payment. But with carzone(and autotrader, BOTH sites are guilty) these offers are almost always too good to be true, even though they are well presented. Even at sterling's worst, theyt were 4-5k cheaper than what they should be...a 5 audi a4 for 5000 euro? even i am not that optimistic!!
    I myself copied and pasted a selection of these ad's into an email and sent them to autotrader to complain, but they still seem to get through.

***key givaway that it is a scam***

There is no irish mobile number. Or, it is missing a digit. But there is usually an english email address. And, it's usually big saloon cars at a fraction of the cost, vrt aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm wondering about this guy

Volkswagen Golf 1.6 diesel €399 carzone
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/1.6-dies/200913192244100/advert
    http://cars.rte.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1358978

Fronts with a pic of a really nice Golf for 400 and then shows a rusty old bucket next to it, that's also for sale...
    cl-p-galway1358978version_56724851.jpg
    cl-p-galway1358978version_56724891.jpg
    Note how the car in the RTE add doesn't even match the description. Starlet in desc, Ford in pic.
    Could be an honest mistake.

NCTd to December 2012

This guy also has an add in the GA "CARS WANTED! Cash paid. All types, all ages, NCT failure, damaged, non runners, unwanted cars removed. cars-wanted-galway hotmail com"

Magnus wrote: »
    I'm wondering about this guy

Volkswagen Golf 1.6 diesel €399 carzone
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/1.6-dies/200913192244100/advert
    http://cars.rte.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1358978

Fronts with a pic of a really nice Golf for 400 and then shows a rusty old bucket next to it, that's also for sale...

Note how the car in the RTE add doesn't even match the description. Starlet in desc, Ford in pic.
    Could be an honest mistake.

NCTd to December 2012

This guy also has an add in the GA "CARS WANTED! Cash paid. All types, all ages, NCT failure, damaged, non runners, unwanted cars removed. cars-wanted-galway hotmail com"

I've noticed people who sell multiple vehicles tend to reutilize their own announces once the original car has been sold, not to pay again everytime... not sure whether this is the case though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭seasam

Name: adams joe
    Phone No: 07552375616

Email Address : ="adamsjoe121@yahoo.com"adamsjoe121@yahoo.com

Comments: Comments: Dear Seller
    I saw you car advert on the internet website for sale and am interested in buying your car. So i will like you to kindly get back to me soonest with the details of the car below:- 1)Present working condition of the car 2)Last asking price of the car 3)Mail any available photo of the car 4)Reason for selling the car 5)Mile age of the car I will like you to you to know that i method of payment will be certified BANKER'S DRAFT Email Address ="adamsjoe121@yahoo.com"

I got this through carzone Neboboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭wee bear

i'm so sick of carzone at the moment the amount of scams is ridculous and if they cant be bothered monitoring it then i don't know how much longer i'll keep using that site, just puts me off, it used to be a good site but i hate the look of it now aswell as the million scams, i've been looking for other ones and came across a site momo.ie i think its called, it seems pretty new so hopefully the scammers haven't cottoned onto it yet, and if its new hopefully the people who run it might take more care than blo*dy carzone.i jsut want to log on and buy a car without seeing all that rubbish!! grr....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 68coupe

just got this today for a car I'm trying to sell.....

sammy [sammyjacob123@yahoo.com] [] made an enquiry on Online about your 1975 Volkswagen Beetle
    sammy writes:
    Hello
    How are you doing today,My name is Sammy Jacob,i am really interested in purchase your car for sale i will be very excited if you still have the car for sale.
    Regarding the price of the car , i will like you to get back to me with your last selling price.
    So are you the first owner of the car? and for how long have you been driving the car,i mean the mileages?because these are what i need to know before i could proceed with the purchasing of the car.
    I want your response on the above questions so that we can wrap everything up in a short while as i am eager to take the possession of the CAR.
    Thanks.
    +447031970580

Sound a little familiar?? But this lad had my full name at the top of the email, although my full name isn't listed in the advert?? Any of you know how he could have got it? Is there someone at carzone or a sister site flogging on our details??

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pat_R

Hi Guys,

Been trying to sell a car on CBG for ages and have already got calls from some company based in Cyprus or Crete saying that they had buyer for my car. Clearly a scam so I just reported it to the Guards, who did follow it up.

Today I got another one from these guys, based in London, looking for €89 fee to connect me with a buyer. I checked out their website and it looks pretty good, even has a kosher company registration number but if you look on te register of companies in the UK it seems not to have filed accounts or have any description as to what they do, but it is a valid limited company. It all looks very convincing but just doesn't make any sense at all.
    Has anyone else come across them?

Cheers

Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Pat_R wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Been trying to sell a car on CBG for ages and have already got calls from some company based in Cyprus or Crete saying that they had buyer for my car. Clearly a scam so I just reported it to the Guards, who did follow it up.

Today I got another one from these guys, based in London, looking for €89 fee to connect me with a buyer. I checked out their website and it looks pretty good, even has a kosher company registration number but if you look on te register of companies in the UK it seems not to have filed accounts or have any description as to what they do, but it is a valid limited company. It all looks very convincing but just doesn't make any sense at all.
    Has anyone else come across them?

Cheers

Pat

UK crowd phoned me today. Ask yourself, why would a UK company have buyers for your Irish car?? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

Got these mails today from a potential buyer :D
    Thought it was worth a giggle, do people still fall for this ?
    I particularly like the Dr Barry signoff, adds a certain Legitimacy don't you think.

Ref/URL: http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus-ST/170/200914192355307/advert
    Comments: Hello Seller,
    How are you doing today, I saw your product advert posted on CARZONE, Did you still have it for sale...?Kindly get back to me with the last price of the Product, I will be glad to transect with you...I will be waiting for you mail at barryautolim01@yahoo.com ASAP.

Regard,

Dr Barry

At least the good doctor could speak english, which is more than can be said for poor Mike:
    Comments: Hello,
    I'm Mike John by name ,I came accross your contact details throughweb directory concerning your car you have for sale and im highly interested in purchasing it.I will like to know all the detailsabout the car before proceeding with the payment.....

1. How long have you owned it?

2. Why are you selling it?

3. Asking Price?

4. Any available photo?

So, your swift response to these required information would be highly entertained before proceeding, if its still for sale. get back to me with the above information or call me on phone number+447024068063
    Regards .
    Mike John

Not nearly as highly entertained as I was ;)

Advertisement