Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Ask the good doctor to prove his legitimacy by taking a photo of him posing with a bucket on his head holding two fire sticks. its the only way to trust him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

I was considering replying and getting them to jump through a few hoops but I couldn't come up with anything creative or humours enough.
    I'm liking the bucket and firesticks though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 stephenf

I got the same message today
    Name: Dr. Barry

Phone No:

Email Address : barryautolim01@yahoo.com

Ref/URL: http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/M5/Perfect-/200916192492486/advert

Comments: Hello Seller,
    How are you doing today, I saw your product advert posted on CARZONE,Did you still have it for sale...?Kindly get back to me with the last price
    of the Product, I will be glad to transect with you...I will be waiting for you mail at barryautolim01@yahoo.com ASAP.

Regard,

Dr Barry

I'd really prefer not to have him "transect" with me!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 stephenf

And this similarly daft one:
    Name: adams joe

Phone No: 07552375616

Email Address : adamsjoe121@yahoo.com

Ref/URL: http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/M5/Perfect-/200916192492486/advert

Comments: Comments: Dear Seller,
    I saw you car advert on the internet website for sale and
    am interested in buying
    your car. So i will like you to kindly get back to me
    soonest with the details of
    the car below:-
    1)Present working condition of the car
    2)Last asking price of the car
    3)Mail any available photo of the car
    4)Reason for selling the car
    5)Mile age of the car
    I will like you to you to know that i method of payment
    will be certified BANKER'S DRAFT
    No:07552375616
    Email Address adamsjoe121@yahoo.com

• Registered Users Posts: 22,278 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Dan_B wrote: »
    At least the good doctor could speak english...
    You are joking, right?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

esel wrote: »
    You are joking, right?
    No the man of medicine has got quite alright English!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Anyone else getting the Garmin for Eur2.99 Carzone email?

Dear Carzone user:

Today Carzone.ie offers you a Hot Deal

You have the posibility to buy a brand new Garmin GPS Navigation wtih bluetooth and Satelite Navigation
    for only 2,99 EURO. To buy this product , Click Here
    This offer is valid only 12 hours from when you received our message .
    The offer is limited since we have only 12 GPS navigators available at this amazing price.
    You do not pay any extra money , the price is only 2,99 Euro and the shipping taxes are supported by Carzone.ie .

Click here to buy right now your GPS Navigator

You need a credit card to pay the 2,99 Euro for the Garmin GPS Navigator , if you don't have a valid credit card
    the payment for this offer can not be made.

This is our way to thank you for using our services for all this time.

It gives a URL of:

http://mycarzone.tk/buyGPSnow

.. that leads to the following:

Garmin carzone Scam?

Nico

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Stekelly wrote: »
    Of course it's a scam. (and thats without even reading your post)

Please someone make a sticky about this. If anything they are getting more fequent.

It's happening everywhere. Thankfully the English is usually broken in the emails and they usually have no contact numbers and a dodgy email address (they seem to prefer yahoo.co.uk addresses). It's not just cars either. I've uncovered several scams on gumtree.ie and buyandsell.ie regarding pets. They either offer free pets or very cheap pets and request a money transfer for delivery charges. Total scam. I like to play along and p*** them off. Then i report them with all the info I had been lucky enough to gather. So far i've had seven of the scammer websites shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Another thing I forgot to mention. These scammers also try to get you to send your goods to them. I was selling a phone on gumtree and i received what looked like a genuine reply from a buyer. I sent paypal instructions because its usually a safe way to send/receive funds. I got an email bac and it looked like it was from paypal to state that the funds were received but were being held for security reasons until i provided a shipping receipt number. Long story short, I arranged postage to a UK address and rang with tracking number. I had a bad feeling about the whole thing because I heard the wind blowing into the phone so i checked the number and realised it was a british mobile number. I contacted paypal who confirmed it was a scamming attempt and i rushed back to the post office to retrieve my goods. I found 3 websites linked to this scammer and had them shut down. He cost me a tenner. I cost him about 50 quid worth of private domain registrations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

i cant figure out if this is a really bad scammer or a really bad genuine seller,opinions?? non valid phone number

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1378475

• Advertisement

^I don't know how 'correct' the price is, but everything else bar the mobile no. looks OK. The extra 8 could just be a typo. Call it if you're interested and let us know the story.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

triple-M wrote: »
    i cant figure out if this is a really bad scammer or a really bad genuine seller,opinions?? non valid phone number

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1378475

Its probably overpriced :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Got a phone call today from +357 2581 7215, which is a number in Nicosia, of all places, from a lad with an English accent asking if my car was still for sale:

- Yes, it is...
    - OK, my client is looking to buy cars of this type (10-year-old Mitsubishis???) from Waterford.
    - OK, well, if he wants to ring me...
    - Well my client is prepared to pay the full asking price...
    - OK, that's good...
    - But first, we require a bonded registration fee of €140
    - Cash only bud. If you want to come and test drive it...
    - Well it's held in a bonded account-
    - Cash only.
    - OK, well have a nice day...

Mods, remove the number if you wish, but as it's a scammer, why would you? In fact it might be no harm to give him a call and fock with his head! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭kueef

would u buy a private car with no nct

Not from a scammer.....

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭briana7214

Pat_R wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Been trying to sell a car on CBG for ages and have already got calls from some company based in Cyprus or Crete saying that they had buyer for my car. Clearly a scam so I just reported it to the Guards, who did follow it up.

Today I got another one from these guys, based in London, looking for €89 fee to connect me with a buyer. I checked out their website and it looks pretty good, even has a kosher company registration number but if you look on te register of companies in the UK it seems not to have filed accounts or have any description as to what they do, but it is a valid limited company. It all looks very convincing but just doesn't make any sense at all.
    Has anyone else come across them?

Cheers

Pat

hve had loads of these guys ringing me every time I put an ad up and I just let them waffle on and when they ask for my credit card details I ask them to give me theirs first and continue to wind them up till they hang up! last guy took 18 minutes to give up :D LOL! great fun and it only cost them money cos it aint cheap to ring an Irish mobile from uk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Scam?

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1371824

Jeep Cherokee Limited (2007) for under 8k

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭redabbey

Thoie wrote: »
    Scam?

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1371824

Jeep Cherokee Limited (2007) for under 8k

It does not look like the right shape numberplate and of course it also has the preferred Irish engine of a 3.7lt petrol

I am suspicious

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Not to mind the nice weather and tropical trees in the background :p

+1 was just thinking that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    Not to mind the nice weather and tropical trees in the background :p

I totally missed the tropical trees and the hacienda style garage - my attention was drawn to the highway miles.

It is clean though... reckon his brother left it in Liverpool?

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1389919

Can't make out what's wrong with this. It's just way too cheap for an a4, and I'm sure i've seen those pics before too.

An S line for 4.5k?!

Strange that there's a ph number. Probably a phone the scammer always uses or is always off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1375986

It's obviously meant to be 35k, but it's obviously a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

Can't make out what's wrong with this. It's just way too cheap for an a4, and I'm sure i've seen those pics before too.

i emailed the seller - just leaped in there as my friend got a new car last week at a bargain price so i just thought it was the way things are going!

will let you know when/if i get a reply

there's a huge spec list but no mention of an NCT - so i enquired about that and am feeling the answer is gonna be ''no nct.....but it should pass no problem....'' and ill just tell them to let me know when THEY've NCT'd it!

or else its a terrible scam and im in for some nonsense from them

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

is it just me or is that reg plate photoshopped

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

ITS A SCAM!

Email I received:

The price is 4500 euros
    115 bhp ,Alloys, Sunroof, Metallic Paint, Electric Windows, Central Locking, Remote Central Locking, Alarm, Immobiliser, Driver's Air Bag, Passenger Air Bag, Multiple Air Bags, Air Conditioning, Climate Control, CD Player, Adjustable Steering Wheel, Heated Seats, DVD !
    Sport Line Model Full S Line Body Kit 17 RS Alloys Center Arm Rest 7 inch Touch Screen DVD player/CD Sat Nav Ready Wind Deflectors. Spare Wheel Alloy Absolutely Immaculate inside and out Reasonable Offers Considered. A real head turner and great fun to drive. PRICE REDUCED FOR QUICK SALE.
    Diesel 4 doors, manual transmission, Silver.
    Mileage : 42,500, NCT 08/2010, Airbags, Alloys, CD / Radio, Colour Coded Bumpers, Electric Mirrors, Electric Windows, Full Service History, Metallic Paint, Power Steering, Remote Central Locking, Traction Control, 1 owner(s).
    Excellent Condition, the car was kept in a garage , it has Audi service book,the tires have been changed recently, and doesn't need repairings.It has no engine problem, no scratches.
    Registered in Ireland .The car is at the moment in Liverpool, UK.
    I live in the USA, I bought the car for my brother who lived in Ireland and then moved to UK. Unfortunately he died recently and I cannot take the car with me.
    You do not have to pay any taxes for this car. It is very easy to register it to your name .
    I have all the documents ready for sale. The car documents are on my name, so it is very simple.
    As payment I only accept cash and we will have to meet in Liverpool for the sale.

Thank you and I hope you will decide to buy my car.
    Here are some photos.

Many thanks, Pat.

Cool, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

figs86 wrote: »
    ITS A SCAM!

Email I received:

The price is 4500 euros
    115 bhp ,Alloys, Sunroof, Metallic Paint, Electric Windows, Central Locking, Remote Central Locking, Alarm, Immobiliser, Driver's Air Bag, Passenger Air Bag, Multiple Air Bags, Air Conditioning, Climate Control, CD Player, Adjustable Steering Wheel, Heated Seats, DVD !
    Sport Line Model Full S Line Body Kit 17 RS Alloys Center Arm Rest 7 inch Touch Screen DVD player/CD Sat Nav Ready Wind Deflectors. Spare Wheel Alloy Absolutely Immaculate inside and out Reasonable Offers Considered. A real head turner and great fun to drive. PRICE REDUCED FOR QUICK SALE.
    Diesel 4 doors, manual transmission, Silver.
    Mileage : 42,500, NCT 08/2010, Airbags, Alloys, CD / Radio, Colour Coded Bumpers, Electric Mirrors, Electric Windows, Full Service History, Metallic Paint, Power Steering, Remote Central Locking, Traction Control, 1 owner(s).
    Excellent Condition, the car was kept in a garage , it has Audi service book,the tires have been changed recently, and doesn't need repairings.It has no engine problem, no scratches.
    Registered in Ireland .The car is at the moment in Liverpool, UK.
    I live in the USA, I bought the car for my brother who lived in Ireland and then moved to UK. Unfortunately he died recently and I cannot take the car with me.
    You do not have to pay any taxes for this car. It is very easy to register it to your name .
    I have all the documents ready for sale. The car documents are on my name, so it is very simple.
    As payment I only accept cash and we will have to meet in Liverpool for the sale.

Thank you and I hope you will decide to buy my car.
    Here are some photos.

Many thanks, Pat.

I never got why these people put so much effort into a scam, not to mention money when it comes to CarZone, to scam people.. Without firstly grasping the basics of the English language. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 moneymouth77

There are so many cretins out there, one of them will take them up... that's why it's lucrative for these people...

Advertisement