Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭legend365

Really if you fall for one of these scams you deserve to learn from your mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

figs86 wrote: »
    I live in the [insert country], I bought the car for my [insert family member] who lived in Ireland and then moved to UK. Unfortunately he died recently ......

This is tragic, there must be a scammers pandemic out there......:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Imagine you are indeed stuck with a car from a dead family member from Liverpool.
    You ll never sell it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Subaru/Impreza/2.0-WRX-/200911192125894/advert

Not quite a scam but didn't deserve a thread of it's own

'NEEDS ENGINE EVERYTHING ELSE PERFECT'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Onkle wrote: »

Are they sellin a Plane for 2k, bargain!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Snookered

scamzone.ie :pac:
    and whats the first result you get heehee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 moneymouth77

It's a Subaru! Well, it's a Subaru chassis...

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Anybody experience this before.

Eastern European girls phones about car and makes a cash offer over the phone. They then come (young couple) and view the car an again are willing to pay cash. I told her that if she returns tomorrow we will go to my bank and lodge the cash and I will give her the car and log book there and then.

At that she started to say she was going to look at a cheaper car and then noticed a scratch she did not like. Car in question is 7 years old.

All I could think was they were trying to buy the car with counterfeit Euros

Anybody else have a similar experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Are they sellin a Plane for 2k, bargain!!!

I love that everyone is in awe of the plane in the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

The-Game wrote: »
    I love that everyone is in awe of the plane in the picture.

ill buy the plane if anybody wants to chip in for the fuel:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Humblepie

Guys - Question -

Im Selling a car and once again, being inundated with "potential buyers" coincidentally all with UK phone numbers. Looking for the usual details from me as below.

YOUR FULL NAME :-
    YOUR FULL ADDRESS:-
    POSTAL CODE:-
    TELEPHONE NUMBER:-

Once they get these details from some willing idiots, what are the next steps the scammers take ? How in the Gods name do they wrangle money out of the seller? Just curious , never bothered to follow up.
    Im sure this has been addressed already at some point but would like to know. Apologies
    Beggers belief that people fall for this stuff.

thanks guys..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

it's something to do with

a: Identity Theft, that's a lot of the info required to answer credit card info questions.

b: Western Union scamming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 neboboy

trellheim wrote: »
    it's something to do with

a: Identity Theft, that's a lot of the info required to answer credit card info questions.

b: Western Union scamming.

To get these people you need to go through the proper channels find out if anyone else here received the same messager and then send it to the iso the internet service provider i.e yahoo hotmail etc .,
    tell them its a term of abuse of their policies , Ive gotten about 20 of them deleted from their email accounts , I even tried to send an email back and it came up with the message that this account has been disabled, most email providers take it very seriously , you need to forward them the mail not copy it just forward it on to them , and they investigate it and 99% of the time the delete the account ,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Onkle wrote: »

ah sure it just needs an engine, be the finest after that

some people heh:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭suzi-suz

i keep getting these scam e-mails from carzone.ie telling i have won 85euro every other day...i also keep getting e-mails about garmin GPS systems for sale...rang carzone.ie and have to say they were dog ignorant couldnt wait to get me off the phone and told me that yes the e-mails i was receiving were scams and there was nothing they could do that i should just delete them...their customer service is disgraceful they have the manners of a dog

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Seniorpeazel

Hi All,

Looking for some advice.

I am looking at a car on autotrader and i have emailed the seller and this is the story...

They have currently moved to spain (where their family is from) and have taken the car with them. The car is a UK spec car (right hand drive) and they are finding it hard to sell in spain as no-one wants to drive it as it is too difficult.

I have expressed interest in buying the car and this is the deal they would arrange... The monies are sent to "Yahoo" they contact the seller saying they have money and the seller ships the car to my address (shipping to my UK address to my father) if the car is OK then we contact Yahoo and tell them to release the funds, if we are not happy the car is returned to the seller and Yahoo give me my money back... the seller has also stated they will pay for shipping and insurance etc...

I think this sounds a bit dodgy but i really like the car and i really want it (Nissan 350Z GT), has anyone ever dealt like this before or ever heard of this process????

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Hi Mom

lock.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 solo1484

Scama-rama!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Posts moved to the scam thread.

I'm surely you'll notice a trend in the type's of emails sent out. It's a scam, run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

For the love of God, are people still falling for this?

Why would you bring a right hand drive car to Spain you and then try and sell it over there? Also would anyone be daft enough to pay money for a car without first viewing/test driving it?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Seniorpeazel

I would never buy a car without a test drive... ive even offered this person that i would fly out to spain to check it out... i was just looking to see if anyone has actually used the process to purchase a car...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,278 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Many (saps) have tried to use the process to buy a car, but no-one has actually bought a car using the process.....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

suzi-suz wrote: »
    i keep getting these scam e-mails from carzone.ie telling i have won 85euro every other day...i also keep getting e-mails about garmin GPS systems for sale...rang carzone.ie and have to say they were dog ignorant couldnt wait to get me off the phone and told me that yes the e-mails i was receiving were scams and there was nothing they could do that i should just delete them...their customer service is disgraceful they have the manners of a dog

In there defence, the emails arn't from CarZone. Its easy to spoof an address so that in the "From" it appears to be Carzone but if you look abit closer its "scammer@XYZ(dot)com or whatever. Saying that though, they could have been nicer.

ironclaw wrote: »
    In there defence, the emails arn't from CarZone. Its easy to spoof an address so that in the "From" it appears to be Carzone but if you look abit closer its "scammer@XYZ(dot)com or whatever. Saying that though, they could have been nicer.

I fhtye ask you to find a money holding company then fine , but if they recommend one themsleves then run a mile and contact yahoo security so they can deal with them as its a serious breech of their confidential uses ,

Above all forward , dont send , forward all the mails you received onto the email provider i.e yahoo , Msn , G-mail and they will get rid of em for you .

But if they are giving you a massive story about if being somoewhere, never disclose where you are , or you can and then tell them you will be in that place the next day for business, and whatch em squirm and run ,

I didi it to a clwon that mailed me and he told me that he was from Spain aswell and I got him so wound up he mailed me make and sai ( IF U COME TO NIGERIA I WILL [EMAIL="F@CK"]F@CK[/EMAIL] U AND UR FAMILY ) hahah I laughed my ass,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chrisroland77

New here, but I think we've all experienced those sorts of emails, haven't we? Best solution is to just ignore, mark as spam, and not let it ruin your breakfast.

Speaking of which, I had a funny on yesteday morning: MY CAR IZ (sic) IN MINT CONDITION BUY IT FOR £1000 and this was the attached picture:
    24jd2021.jpg
    Anyone fancy a model car for a £1000? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Hi everyone,

New in this forum, have a quick question, need to put my mind at ease.

My friend is moving abroad in a few weeks, has her 1994 jeep on carzone for a very very reasonable price, as it has high mileage and has a few....quirks.

She's received a good few enquiries, but one guy emailed asking for info about it, what her best price was and said he'd take it, that he'd send her a cheque and arranged for someone to pick it up when the cheque had cleared. Now, I'm a naturally sceptical person, so I ignored my own thoughts and was happy for my friend that she appeared to have secured a sale.

So anyways, yesterday I asked how the sale was going, she said it was grand, he had emailed her saying his bank were forwarding her a cheque...but that there had been an error and the cost of shipping that he has to pay had been accidentally added onto her cheque, so could she pay cash to the person collecting the jeep for the shipping cost?

I'm not imagining this am I, that's a scam yeah? I am positive I have heard of it before but have no idea where. I know it sure as hell sounds like a scam but man did I feel bad telling her that i think she hasn't really sold her jeep :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Spadina wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

My friend is moving abroad in a few weeks, has her 1994 jeep on carzone for a very very reasonable price, as it has high mileage and has a few....quirks.

She's received a good few enquiries, but one guy emailed asking for info about it, what her best price was and said he'd take it, that he'd send her a cheque and arranged for someone to pick it up when the cheque had cleared. Now, I'm a naturally sceptical person, so I ignored my own thoughts and was happy for my friend that she appeared to have secured a sale.

So anyways, yesterday I asked how the sale was going, she said it was grand, he had emailed her saying his bank were forwarding her a cheque...but that there had been an error and the cost of shipping that he has to pay had been accidentally added onto her cheque, so could she pay cash to the person collecting the jeep for the shipping cost?

I'm not imagining this am I, that's a scam yeah? I am positive I have heard of it before but have no idea where. I know it sure as hell sounds like a scam but man did I feel bad telling her that i think she hasn't really sold her jeep :(

Yeah a complete scam I am afraid. I got loads of the same emails.

Dont send photos whatever you do.

If your friend is bored, string them along for awhile and let them send the bogus bankdraft..just for fun.

Spadina wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Hi a friend of mine is selling a pahero mini in savage nick I was gona but it myself just to have it , its a 1.0 petrol 4WD nct taxed , its a minter ,

2500 i think he wants for it , do you want his number hes from Mullingar, its silver, 3door,

• Advertisement

neboboy wrote: »
    Hi a friend of mine is selling a pahero mini in savage nick I was gona but it myself just to have it , its a 1.0 petrol 4WD nct taxed , its a minter ,

2500 i think he wants for it , do you want his number hes from Mullingar, its silver, 3door,

Sorry meant to say Pajero , this laptop is poxy ,

Advertisement