Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

they agree on 2400 for the car,
    they send you a draft for 3000,
    you lodge it,
    the money goes into your account,
    your bank balance increases by 3000.
    you send them 600
    your bank balances goes down by 600
    the bank contact you to tell you the draft was fake
    your bank balance goes down by 3000

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

what they want you to do is lodge the cheque/draft. it will clear. you will pay them back the surplus amount. then the draft will bounce and the money will be debited from you account by the bank. you lose the surplus. its a very common scam

edit: colm got there first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

I'm in contact with Mr Konnen at the moment; he's deadly!

"Thank you for your prompt response! OK I'm willing to pay CASH! Do we agree? I'm a private buyer and I'm gonna use the car in your country but I'm not in Ireland at the moment due to my present job location! I'm a US Soldier on a mission in Iraq but will be moving to your country in a few weeks time."

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MotteDai

Watch out they can get nasty these guys. well abusive anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

MotteDai wrote: »
    I wish there was a way to fry these peoples PC's.
    I wonder have they heard of Mr Dban?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

OH is buying ATM she sent me this link, i laughed, then she emailed seller....I LOL'd

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/922273

2006 Volkswagen Golf GTI Turbo 4600 euro
    Mileage : 27,962 miles

Adjustable Steering Wheel, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, CD Player, Driver Airbag, Electric Windows, Immobiliser, Multiple Airbags, Rear Head Rests, Remote Central Locking, Sports Suspension, Sunroof, Traction Control.

Excellent Condition, the car was kept in a garage , it has VW service book,the tires have been changed recently, and doesn't need repairings.It has no engine problem, no scratches.
    Registered in Ireland .The car is at the moment in Liverpool, UK.
    I live in the USA, I bought the car for my brother who lived in Ireland and then moved to UK. Unfortunately he died recently and I cannot take the car with me.
    You do not have to pay any taxes for this car. It is very easy to register it to your name .
    I have all the documents ready for sale. The car documents are on my name, so it is very simple.
    As payment I only accept cash and we will have to meet in Liverpool for the sale.
    Sent at 12:47 AM on Saturday

me: BULL****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BravoGolf

Yes, yes it is.

Tell tale sign, price is wayyy too low, and there's no phone number.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Nissan/Qashqai/SE-(5dr-/200922192913062/advert?channel=CARS

Thank God for this thread, had some information to help me validate this as I too was curious about the car. The seller is reluctant to give a number and is a Mr. Sebastian Hogarth, his email address doesn't respond with any hits in Google so may have been created specifically.

He has put more pictures on http://www.rdbenterpriseslimited.com/2007NissanQashqaiSE.html. The main domain shows a company owned by, you guessed it, the impeccable Aalbert Hoffman.

Email response is:
    The car is still available but we have a bit of a problem because for the moment I'm in Glasgow. I own a little construction firm and I've signed a contract to build a house in a small village in Glasgow and I think I'll be staying here for at least 9 months. The car has no problems, the reason for this sale is because of some financial problems. I had a promise from a friend but the guy turned out to be a liar and now I'm forced to sell my car in order to get things moving here. Local pick up is preferred but I can also delivered it at your address at no cost if you want, whatever option is good for me. Forgot to mention , it has no accidents, and it comes with full service records. It's an irish car by the way. Let me know if you're interested.

Am interested now to see what he'll confirm the next steps are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 eddieshanahan

RESPONSE TO ADD FOR VW POLO......from S. Hogarth in "Glasgow".....recieved Sat 20th June......looks just like the response to the NISSAN enquiry you posted.

Good morning mate,
    The car is still available but we have a bit of a problem because for the moment I'm in Glasgow. I own a little construction firm and I've signed a contract to build a house in a small village in Glasgow and I think I'll be staying here for at least 9 months. The car has no problems, the reason for this sale is because of some financial problems. I had a promise from a friend but the guy turned out to be a liar and now I'm forced to sell my car in order to get things moving here. Local pick up is preferred but I can also delivered it at your address at no cost if you want, whatever option is good for me. Forgot to mention , it has no accidents, and it comes with full service records. It's an irish car by the way. Let me know if you're interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 eddieshanahan

http://www.rdbhousebuilders.com/2005VolkswagenPolo1.2.html

sent by S Hogarth from "Glasgow.......

RDB House Builders ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Are these guys paying to put ads on Carzone? With the amount of scam ads it must cost them a fortune to put them up.

I wonder if they are catching many people out?

Can Carzone not do anything about this?
    Maybe the shouldn't allow an ad to be placed without a phone number ? :confused:

http://www.rdbhousebuilders.com/2005VolkswagenPolo1.2.html

sent by S Hogarth from "Glasgow.......

RDB House Builders ?

Same domain as with the Nissan car I posted above: www.rdbhousebuilders.com

Edit: Or rather, same content on a different domain. They probably all point to the same nameservers (where the content is)

I'll send CarZone an email too about these illegitmate ads. Not much they can do about enforcing numbers, any dummy number can be entered and you're in effect penalising the end user rather than restricting the scammer. Some users would be uncomfortable with the number up and might, for example, prefer to review emails in their own time before engaging via telephone.

WhoIs information for:

rdbenterpriseslimited.com

Domain name: RDBENTERPRISESLIMITED.COM
    Name Server: ns3.nic.ru
    Name Server: ns4.nic.ru
    Creation Date: 2009.05.25
    Expiration Date: 2010.05.25

Registrant ID: DPUSD5M-RU
    Registrant Name: Nati Beese
    Registrant Organization: Nati Beese
    Registrant Street1: 1569 Wateredge Rd
    Registrant City: Mission Viejo
    Registrant Postal Code: 35215
    Registrant Country: US

Administrative, Technical Contact
    Contact ID: DPUSD5M-RU
    Contact Name: Nati Beese
    Contact Organization: Nati Beese
    Contact Street1: 1569 Wateredge Rd
    Contact City: Mission Viejo
    Contact Postal Code: 35215
    Contact Country: US
    Contact Phone: +1 905 8221000
    Contact E-mail: errol51264@bellsouth.net

rdbhousebuilders.com
    Domain name: RDBHOUSEBUILDERS.COM
    Name Server: ns3.nic.ru
    Name Server: ns4.nic.ru
    Creation Date: 2009.06.13
    Expiration Date: 2010.06.13

Registrant ID: Q0X2UCZ-RU
    Registrant Name: LPaulo Carvalho
    Registrant Organization: LPaulo Carvalho
    Registrant Street1: Ramon Castilla
    Registrant City: Rio de Janeiro
    Registrant Postal Code: 42940
    Registrant Country: BR

Administrative, Technical Contact
    Contact ID: Q0X2UCZ-RU
    Contact Name: LPaulo Carvalho
    Contact Organization: LPaulo Carvalho
    Contact Street1: Ramon Castilla
    Contact City: Rio de Janeiro
    Contact Postal Code: 42940
    Contact Country: BR
    Contact Phone: +11 632 2661662
    Contact E-mail: ezflyer@bellsouth.net

The first guy, Nati Breese, is verified as a fraud.
    References:
    http://escrow-fraud.com/index.php?page=fraud_data&id=9073
    http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Nati+Beese%22&hl=en&client=opera&rls=en-GB&hs=paP&filter=0

The email address in the second whois data, ezflyer@bellsouth.net, is linked to fraud in several other sites.
    References:
    http://db.aa419.org/fakebanksview.php?key=36752

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Yeah, I suppose any number could be entered.
    But these ads are expensive to put up / renew. They must be ripping a certain number of people off to be making any money. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

It amazes me that people still fall for these scams today but in saying that,

I only got my parents onto the internet a month or two ago & I've been on the phone to my father several times a week telling him not to pay any interest to cars for half price etc. Unless it's a car you can go & test drive then forget it.

Even at that I know for a fact that people are buying cars here that are cloned. All the paper work etc looks above board. It's so easy to get this stuff nowadays.

The scammers go online & look for similar or same car they've stolen. 99% of the time the reg is visible so they have a good start. They'll even go through the trouble to check for finance & even call the owner, arrange a viewing & after leaving they'll say they forgot to check the paper work & ask for it to be faxed to a hotel they're having meetings at or some other location (Hardly their home or office).

You fax the stuff over thinking they're interested & he has a copy of the log book or cert. His buddy with the fancy printer or some guy who has a buddy who knows a buddy in the tax office knocks out an exact copy.

Now he advertises the car with a library pic or without a reg. He may advertise as a 2005 but it may be a 2004. He'll say this on the phone if you call. He'll be cool & charming, maybe even well spoken but you probably won't meet him because he's busy with his business etc but his brother, mate or brother in-law will meet you instead. Great you think!

The car is great, the documents are A1. There's no finance. He may even produce a fake licence in case you know the owners name. (I'm sure you can get this from cartell.ie or even if you know a Garda) Honestly, what can you do? This has happened many times over the years & still today. The story may change but people are still being sold clones.

You need to match the Reg to the Chassis. If you have a report on the car reg you will have the exact chassis number. Don't take for granted the reg number & chassis on the log book are legit as they will just use the existing chassis with the clone reg. Simple.

I've even heard of the guy being too busy to actually meet the buyer but tells him the hotel he's having his conference in & says the keys are in reception & that he trusts you because you seem like a genuine guy/girl & that there's CCTV in the lobby.

They'll do anything to get the whole lot in cash as a draft is normally no good because it's traceable. They'll knock lumps off the price. They'll even take your car as a trade in (because it's clean) with cash & have someone lined up for it. But they'll dump it too if they get enough money out of you.

If it's a large sum especially then you'd be dumb not to pay by draft. If the seller is not keen suggest meeting at his local Garda station to fill out the change of ownership & even go to his bank & lodge the draft with him. At least you'll be on CCTV & he'll have piece of mind.

If that's too much hassle for the seller then you need to think about walking away. Always remember, "You get what you pay for" and if it's well below the market value & a bit suspicious then you'll get nothing for your money. As soon as the Garda get wind or if you have an accident & someone realizes the Chassis doesn't match the reg you can wave bye bye to your car.

I've had a long talk with members of the force about this & have so many stories you wouldn't believe it but these are the most common.

By the way, if you receive any of these emails from guys in Iraq & middle east or Africa etc that need to transfer millions out & into your account giving you a nice 10-20% commission. Don't even think for one minute it's your lucky day. Don't accept over seas drafts from Timbuktu either. It's a numbers game for them. They get thousands of rejections every day but at some stage & newbie is on-line & they think they've hit the jackpot. Older people are more vulnerable to this.

May I suggest using this site http://www.419scam.org

I use it regularly to waste the time of scammers. I get a great kick out of it. So much so that I've little or no time for any on-line or console gaming because nothing beats making these degenerates run around at your request & all for nothing. Think about it. You can be having great fun at his expense & he has less time to scam more vulnerable people.

I better sign out here. Sorry for the novel :(

BravoGolf wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Nissan/Qashqai/SE-(5dr-/200922192913062/advert?channel=CARS

Thank God for this thread, had some information to help me validate this as I too was curious about the car. The seller is reluctant to give a number and is a Mr. Sebastian Hogarth, his email address doesn't respond with any hits in Google so may have been created specifically.

He has put more pictures on http://www.rdbenterpriseslimited.com/2007NissanQashqaiSE.html. The main domain shows a company owned by, you guessed it, the impeccable Aalbert Hoffman.

Am interested now to see what he'll confirm the next steps are.

Subsequent email from Sebastian Hogarth is:
    Good morning mate,
    Sorry for the delayed response, I have a lot of work to do here and I can hardly respond my emails in time. As you can see my car has only 22500 miles which is very good for a 2007 car. This car was rarely driven and most of it's miles are highway miles, I bought it because it is a very safe car. I'll deliver the car with all the necessary docs, service book with all records, two keys will be present plus 2 remote controls for the alarm ( VIPER alarm with pager ). The tax is due to expire in March 2010 and NCT in March 2011 . I've been searching for the best solution for this transaction and one of my employees suggested a specialized company to handle the funds since the distance is an inconvenience for both of us. He suggested the following escrow company: www.carzonesecuresite.com. I've read their terms and they can also take care of the necessary paperwork in order to register the car in your name in case you decide to keep it. All you have to do is to register at their website and then I need your user name so I can set up the transaction. You can read their terms here: www.carzonesecuresite.com/howitworks.php. I give you seven days to test the car and only if you decide to keep it, they will release the money to me so, I believe this is the safest way. Let me know your decision because there is another person who wants to buy it and I need to know which way to go. The car will come with the servoce book, manuals and two remote controls for the alarm. One more thing I saw that they accept paypal and bank transfer as payment method which I believe is 100% secure. Let me know your decision as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

What do you think of this? Seems quite cheap to not be a scam or a writeoff.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/320-CD-E/200926194443584/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

OisinT wrote: »
    What do you think of this? Seems quite cheap to not be a scam or a writeoff.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/320-CD-E/200926194443584/advert?channel=CARS

THAT IS MY CAR....:mad:

I have already rung carzone this moring about it and it should be off soon.

Its a scam.

Basically, I was selling my car last year and this guy got onto me. He wanted more photos. I had no idea about all these scams and I innocently sent him extra photos and now he uses my photos to set up this bull**** ad.

I have to check every week to make sure that it doesnt stay on long. It was already pulled on Friday but appeared again over the weekend.

ps. The car is still for sale at €15k..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Thanks.. sure you don't want to sell it for 5 grand? ;) lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

OisinT wrote: »
    Thanks.. sure you don't want to sell it for 5 grand? ;) lol

Afraid not..but I am a reasonable man...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭sosyourface

This is more than likely a pure scam, but I was just wondering if anybody has had any dealings with this person or has had any very similar cars/emails.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/C70/200927194464132/advert?channel=CARS

The car is a convertable 2007 Volvo C7 (which are selling second hand for about €42,000 at the moment). It has 9,000 km only up on it and has had one owner. The asking price is €4,400....

My friend came across the ad and emailed because she presumed the price was a typo and that it was meant to be €44k not €4,400. The owner replied with the following:

Date: Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 11:38 AM
    Subject: 2007 Volvo C70
    To: xxxxx

Hi there, the car is still available for the price of 4.400 EUR and that I am awfully sorry for the late reply.The car is in excellent overall condition, never involved in an accident.The car is still Irish registered.I worked in Ireland for 2 years and the company i worked for was dissolved and i had to move back to UK. I am selling it for this price because the UK registration taxes are to expensive for me.
    Please get back to me.

So if anyone can let me know if they've had similar dealings with this individual (Adam Bale) or a similar scam, I'd be interested to know!!!

Thanks!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 neboboy

This is more than likely a pure scam, but I was just wondering if anybody has had any dealings with this person or has had any very similar cars/emails.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/C70/200927194464132/advert?channel=CARS

The car is a convertable 2007 Volvo C7 (which are selling second hand for about €42,000 at the moment). It has 9,000 km only up on it and has had one owner. The asking price is €4,400....

My friend came across the ad and emailed because she presumed the price was a typo and that it was meant to be €44k not €4,400. The owner replied with the following:

Date: Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 11:38 AM
    Subject: 2007 Volvo C70
    To: xxxxx

Hi there, the car is still available for the price of 4.400 EUR and that I am awfully sorry for the late reply.The car is in excellent overall condition, never involved in an accident.The car is still Irish registered.I worked in Ireland for 2 years and the company i worked for was dissolved and i had to move back to UK. I am selling it for this price because the UK registration taxes are to expensive for me.
    Please get back to me.

So if anyone can let me know if they've had similar dealings with this individual (Adam Bale) or a similar scam, I'd be interested to know!!!

Thanks!:D

The way its worded and the fact that he is giving you details that you havent asked for is prrof that it is a definate scam ,
    As far as uk registration tax goes thats just bull the registration tax is nothing on a car like that cos I think its a hybrid engine ,

Just ask him where abouts he is in the UK dont give away any details about where you are , just ask him where the car is exactly cos if you tell him your in Cork or something he will say the car is in some holding company , ask him where the car is being held , as soon as he gives you the location of the car say that you are in the UK at the moment and your only a minute drive from there , and see what his response is , if he says " thanks but il sell it to somoene else " then you know its a scam ,

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭sosyourface

Yep so got a reply to my friend's email:

Date: Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 4:09 PM
    Subject: Re: 2007 Volvo C70
    To: xxxxxx

The car is in eBay's custody in London, UK and they have the right to handle the transaction in my name.
    If we come to an agreement the car will be delivered directly to your home address and the shipping&insurance cost will be 300EUR, and i think it would be fair to split the costs in half, so we will have to pay 150EUR each. The car will be shipped by truck and that will take up to 3 days. The transaction will be fully under eBay's surveillance, giving us both security and insurance that nothing will go wrong. They are acting like an inter agent in this transaction. From the moment the car arrives at your address, you have 5 days to see and test it which way you like. Within this period you have to decide if you purchase it or not.
    To register this transaction at eBay, I will need your full name, address and a contact number

Has to be a 100% scam!!

So if anyone else comes across this scam or someone called Adam Bale DON'T TRUST HIM!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

Hi Guys,

He's got a 2003 Range Rover up for 4,500. Email contacts and responses are exactly the same, word for word.

If it's too good to be true....

if you can't see the sucker ...

Adam Bale = scam

• Registered Users Posts: 6 coka

Hi guys

They are still out there! Yesterday, I sent an email enquiry via Carzone about a 2006 Volkswagen Passat for 4,000 euro. Too good to be true of course, but thought I would query anyway out of curiosity. Received back the exact same responses as "Adam Bale" sent but mine were from a "Geraldine McMahon". The ad was removed from Carzone yesterday afternoon but she was still contacting me about the car. "She" seemed to have an answer for everything. When I asked her to send on the spec to me again, she sent on a spec for a Mazda, and when I queried it with her she apologised profusely for the confusion but was using the same address to sell both cars, and was overwhelmed with emails at the moment... poor Geraldine eh??!

Adam Bale = Geraldine McMahon = Scam :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

coka wrote: »

Adam Bale = Geraldine McMahon = Scam :rolleyes:

Not only but also -

from Elizabeth Cleary <elizabeth.cleary2@btinternet.com>
    to me
    date 6 July 2009 13:44
    subject Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sports Coupe
    Signed by btinternet.com

Hi there, the car is still available for the price of 4.250 EUR and that I am awfully sorry for the late reply.
    The car is in excellent overall condition, never involved in an accident.The car is still Irish registered.
    I worked in Ireland for 2 years and the company i worked for was disolved and i had to move back to UK. I am selling it for this price because the UK registration taxes are to expensive for me.
    Please get back to me.

no phone + no registration plate + silly price = scam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭suzi-suz

This is the Advert

We offer a Beautiful 2005/05 registered BMW 320i SE 6 Speed Manual Saloon finished in Dark Grey Metallic with BMW 16” 10 Spoke Alloy Wheels. She has had only 1 previous owner from New and is in Lovely Condition. She has covered only 61,000 miles and has Full BMW Service History (having been BMW Dealer serviced 5 times) the last Service being less than 1,000 miles ago. She also has a Valid MOT Certificate until the 5th of June 2010.

So I reply

My Reply
    Yes I would like to buy it,

Her Reply

Hi

I still have the BMW 320i for sale. The car is now located in Spain where I moved recently. The car is in excellent condition, never down, no scratches on it never been involved in accidents , it has done only 61000 miles from new and comes with fulll service history. It comes with all the documents needed for registration, it has a clear title and it can be anytime Registered on your name .I want to sell the car at this low because it is a right hand drive and here it is difficult for me to drive it here. If you want to buy it the last price will be £2200. The delivery will take only 3 days.

Thank you and let me know

My Reply How Do we get it to Ireland it will be payment on Delivery

Her Reply

Hi +++, as i moved back i've bring the car with me here. I've spoken with my husband about a short holliday in uk and complete the car sale, the only thing is that i work in a hospital and is very hard for me to come in uk.
    I can't take the risk to leave my job for few days and when i arrive in uk to see that I come for nothing, so i just want to be 100% sure that when I will meet you, we will complete the car paper work and also want to be sure that you have the money to buy it.
    So we can be sure of that you can simply make the payment from your name and address to your best friend name and address in uk on any Post Office using money gram and provide me the scanned receipt. As soon as I see the scanned receipt I can be sure about everything and i'll come in uk, we'll meet in London and you will see the car (I am more than sure that you will like it). After that, we will go together at any Post Office office and you will take the money back and pay me...
    I am asking you this to be sure that I do not come in uk for nothing. I hope you understand. Sincerely erike

My Reply

What sort of fool do you think I am. That is the oldest trick in the book. I spotted you as a scam artist the moment I saw the imaginary car for €2200. Just so you know who I am, I work for Fraud Department in Harcourt Street In Dublin.

No More Correspondence

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/935337
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/937322

I have ran a motorcheck report on this car and it has been a cat d insurance write off in the UK and had a recorded mileage of 155,000 miles on 12/12/2007
    It's now advertised as having 154000 km and any inspection welcome- except a history check obviously! Fell free to contact the seller with genuine questions....

• Registered Users Posts: 8 suezi

Saw add for Audi A3 04 for 4,500.. was suspicious...email and asked for pics.

She replied with more pics. Gave sob story how her sister just died recently and that she bought the car for her.

In the meantime, i googled her email add and the reg, found out it was a scam from a thread on itsyourmoney or sumthin like that (thank you to the person who posted it)

In her next email she wanted to come over from the US to meet me at the car in Liverpool but first i had to give a deposit before seeing it.... I dont think so....time for some fun.

I emailed her back said i didnt trust western union (by the way their using a email under the name of sonya cudden) because they lost a tranfer of mine that was headed for zanzibar a while back and I said she could pay for my flights as a sign of goodwill. I also asked for her mob number.

They have not emailed back.... sue...1 evil...0

Who do I report it to or is there any point?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Honestly do some people not know the difference between an automatic and manual?
    And the punto doesent come in 1.3 petrol.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Fiat/Grande-Punto/Stunner/200926194444343/advert?channel=CARS

Advertisement