Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Garfromdublin

Dave. wrote: »
    'I want to buy it for my wife's birthday to make her a surprise.
    As I am in Milano, Italy in a business trip I want to manage this fast so we won't waste our time.
    I would like to know your final asking price.'

From a Mr.Daren Egelstad

I got the exact same e-mail followed by:

Agree on the price. I will proceed with full payment in advance.
    I will need the fallowing details in order to proceed:

your complete name and address (street, city, state and zip code).
    Waiting for your reply !

It started with a simple e-mail:

Still available ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Dave.

I got the exact same e-mail followed by:

Agree on the price. I will proceed with full payment in advance.
    I will need the fallowing details in order to proceed:
    your complete name and address (street, city, state and zip code).
    Waiting for your reply !

It started with a simple e-mail:

Still available ?
    Yeah I got that one aswel
    You will get this next so
    'It is fine by email so we can have everything written down.I want to have the payment managed before I'll be back in the country since I have cash here with me. I want to meet only for the final documents. I can send full payment in advance. I will only need the requested details so we can move forward. You decide !'

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Just got this one and it's so bad I had to post it.

Name: Derek Moore

Phone No: 7023037628

Email Address : derek_more1111@yahoo.com

Comments: Good Day Seller,

Am Mr Derek Moore by name am interested in buying your Car ..Please i will like

you to e-mail me the details below

What is the condition of the Car ???

What is your last price you are selling the Car for me ??

e-mail me the pics of the Derek ???

I await your swift response.

Regards

Moore.

+447023037628.

Sorry Don't have any Pics of the Derek!!!:D
    The quality of scammers has really gone downhill recently!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ho Hum, not sure if this is a scam or not......

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page.php/carno/64102

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

galwaytt wrote: »

Price is reasonable for a Hong Kong, Japan or Euro import.

Email them and see - if the deal involves handing money over before you see it it's a scam.

Otherwise what rung your bell?

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »

Just called the seller and it's all above board. PM me if you want the registration

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

This is a great thread. Thanks for making it a sticky.

I wonder have any of these chancers been caught??

I know this is not from carzone but thought I'd share, it's great the way this guy tries to give the scammers the run-around.

Still don't understand why Ed Harris is involved, maybe his acting work has dried up?? :)

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/pricewatch/2008/03/31/the-mechanics-of-a-car-scam/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Paddo81

Jesus Carzone is a pain in the a$s. Ive had nothing but interest in me car from scammers. I told one guy that I needed one of the wheels so if he'd accept a three wheel car and possibly pay more money for it, then we were sorted. He came and said thanks for been honest and yes "his client" was very excited at the prospect of owning my car! I think Ive thrown away 40 notes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

its terrifying reading some of the posts in the irish times link,some people will fall for this,like someone seeing a car for sale €13000 less than the average retail price and thinking its a bargain,
    there are idiots posting these ads and unfortunately idiots thinking they may save €13k,

• Registered Users Posts: 22,278 ✭✭✭✭Esel

bladebrew wrote: »
    its terrifying reading some of the posts in the irish times link, some a lot of people will fall for this...
    FYP

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Can any danger come from emailing the scammers back? I haven't given out personal details or anything, I just like messing with them. The last one, when he asked for my address to send the cheque, I gave him Ringo Starrs address :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Surely a scam this one....

This is first email

Hi there,
    The car is still available for the price of 9.450 EUR.
    The car is in excellent overall condition, never involved in an accident. The car is still Irish registered.
    I worked in Ireland for 2 years and the company I worked for was dissolved and I had to move back to UK.

If you are interested please get back to me.

Thanks,
    Jamie

I replied asking where car was etc, this was reply

Hello,
    The car is in eBay's custody in London, UK and they have the right to handle the transaction in my name.
    If we come to an agreement the car will be delivered directly to your home address and the shipping&insurance cost will be 300EUR, and i think it would be fair to split the costs in half, so we will have to pay 150EUR each. The car will be shipped by truck and that will take up to 3 days. The transaction will be fully under eBay's surveillance, giving us both security and insurance that nothing will go wrong. They are acting like an inter agent in this transaction. From the moment the car arrives at your address, you have 5 days to see and test it which way you like. Within this period you have to decide if you purchase it or not.
    To register this transaction at eBay, I will need your full name, address and a contact number.

Jamie

I wonder do ebay know about these scams

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

This is first email

Hi there,
    The car is in excellent overall condition, never involved in an accident. The car is still Irish registered.
    I worked in Ireland for 2 years and the company I worked for was dissolved and I had to move back to UK.

Thanks,
    Jamie

Hello,
    The car is in eBay's custody in London, UK and they have the right to handle the transaction in my name.
    If we come to an agreement the car will be delivered directly to your home address and the shipping&insurance cost will be 300EUR, and i think it would be fair to split the costs in half, so we will have to pay 150EUR each. The car will be shipped by truck and that will take up to 3 days. The transaction will be fully under eBay's surveillance, giving us both security and insurance that nothing will go wrong. They are acting like an inter agent in this transaction. From the moment the car arrives at your address, you have 5 days to see and test it which way you like. Within this period you have to decide if you purchase it or not.
    To register this transaction at eBay, I will need your full name, address and a contact number.

Jamie

I'd say its a scam. Basically, you send him €150 for half the shipping, but the car never comes. He's putting a lot of trust in you that he sends you the car for a few days before he gets the money for it. In that time you could have disappeared with the car. I'd say leave well alone. Or offer to go over to England and meet him there.

This is first email

Hi there,

Thanks,
    Jamie

Hello,

Jamie

Doesn't really matter - eBay do not handle physical items and do not have warehouses or storage facilities.

Like all scammers they are looking for greedy or naive suckers and for most of the rest of us if the first email wasn't a red light, the second is waving flags.

Just a note - the first email used to give the additional excuse that the "owner" did not want to pay the UK import taxes. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From what I've seen regarding smaller items, once eBay gets their money, they stop caring.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

Guys i know this is totally off topic...but are we allowed to advertise cars for sale on boards??? or is there anywhere on boards for that sort of thing, have a 00 diesel fiesta i want to get rid of. thanks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

boards.ie has their own dedicated "for sale/wanted" website - adverts.ie.

Put it up there and see how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ozal83

jj72 wrote: »
    Guys i know this is totally off topic...but are we allowed to advertise cars for sale on boards??? or is there anywhere on boards for that sort of thing, have a 00 diesel fiesta i want to get rid of. thanks....

SEE THE TOPIC adverts.ie
    its left top corner
    click there. can put ur car there free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭john-joe

I was not aware that our Sub-Shara African Friends were up to their tricks on Carzone as well!!

Of course I was suspect from the off, well 80%.. suspect :D

Maybe as stekelly has said this sort of scam should be made into a sticky??

I assume you have prove that the scammers where from the Sub-Shara?:mad:

You could be from anywhere to conduct illegal activities, sure most of this countries 'politicans' are the biggest scammers and con-artists of all!

Oh but thats ok because whitey can't do no scams!

Tut tut

• Registered Users Posts: 22,278 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ For feck sake - that post was on page 2! :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭john-joe

whoops, sorry:o

I'd say its a scam. Basically, you send him €150 for half the shipping, but the car never comes. He's putting a lot of trust in you that he sends you the car for a few days before he gets the money for it. In that time you could have disappeared with the car. I'd say leave well alone. Or offer to go over to England and meet him there.

Cheers, forgot about that - I did that on my one - They were sending chase emails so I finally sent an email saying I would be in London and would be happy to meet up at the warehouse.

No more emails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭scubagit

Had my car on Carzone for the last 3 weeks and nothing but scammers:(

Just got the below mail from a concerned citizen who enclosed a link to another website which supposedly has an ad with pics of my car. Except when I follow the link (which isn't carzone) I get a site which appears to be carzone but asks for my login details.
    Is this a ploy to acces my login details?? Here's the mail below.

Comments: Hello,
    I have found an similar add on carzone with the same pictures. I believe It is an scammer using your car pictures and details. He almost scammed me. with an escrow website. Fortunately I found your ad and I realized that he is an fraud. Please take immediate action. Here is the link to the advert:
    http://cornersgallery.com/css/.%20/.carzone.ie/search/**Host-o/200932194851812/advert.php?channel=CARS

Best regards, name removed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

FOR THE LOVE OF JEBUS, DON'T PUT YOUR DETAILS INTO THAT PAGE!!!

Scamscamscamscamscamscamscamscamscamscamscamscam.

Don't reply to his email. Don't acknowledge it in any way.

Forward the email immediately to Carzone's customer service guys and hopefully they'll warn other customers before someone gets their login nicked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭scubagit

-Chris- wrote: »
    FOR THE LOVE OF JEBUS, DON'T PUT YOUR DETAILS INTO THAT PAGE!!!

Scamscamscamscamscamscamscamscamscamscamscamscam.

Don't reply to his email. Don't acknowledge it in any way.

Forward the email immediately to Carzone's customer service guys and hopefully they'll warn other customers before someone gets their login nicked.

Thought as much. Followed the link but didn't login. Think I'll FWD to Carzone to warn em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 cici09

Hi Guys
    my name is claire and i was selling a car on carzone.ie. I had my phone number and email up.I got lots of emails asking whats my last price all off english people,only one or two gave a phone number, I was in contact with a guy in London called IAN BLAKE who was buying the car for an Irish collegue and that someone would pick it up he had a posh enough way of talking which made it sound more unlikely to be a scam. There where a few errors in his emails missing letters or words etc but not many. He said at the start his method of payement was bank draft or cheque which would put us both on the safer side. He kept saying this is safer for the two of us or something about safe. He said when i receive the draft and lodge it into my account then contact him because he would not make ANY plans to collect the car until I had the money. Like a fool I trusted him and gave him my address so he could send the draft to me. He emailed me saying I sent the draft to you today. email me when you deposit it into your account. the following day I got an email off him saying bank rang him and said that they mistakenly put too much on the bank draft as it was the extra money for the shipping and could I let him kow immediatly the minute I deposit the money. he thensaid he would send on details of sending the extra money to the shipping guy via western union. I emailed carzone who then informed me not to lodge draft and cut contact straight away. That draft is due tommorow so im very lucky to find out or my account was going to be cleared. The red writing is what to look out for the blue is what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Yes thanks for posting.

This is a very very common occurrance on carzone. I was selling a car as well last year and went through the same crap. But I copped onto it via this site and now I just string them along for a laugh.

That guy was hoping you would lodge the bank draft and then send him back the extra money that was sent to you. After you do that the bank draft will bounce and you have lost your money to this guy.

They also sell cars for very low prices which is also a scam. again if you have the time lots of fun can be had messing them around for awhile.

Let us know if you get the draft.

Ha ha I would set up a fake account lodge it and see what happens but I could not be bothered. I sent him an email I sold the car its after been collected and I will send you back the draft and no I wont lodge it no more emails off him ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Actually that's a good one.

Email him saying you got the bank draft but you sold the car to someone else and you are keeping the bank draft...:D

Would love to see the reply he sends back..

• Advertisement

i know it will bounce i dont think he is stupid enough to send a real draft

Advertisement