Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Have ye looked on Gumtree at the moment, every second car on the Cork section appears to be a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Brianb8802

Have my car up on carzone and got this the other day
    Name: FEMVIC WHYTE

Phone No: 070240xxxxxx

Email Address : femvicwhyte@xxxxx.com

Comments: Hello...........am FEMVIC WHYTE by name, i came across the advert you passed on behalf of your car and im highly interested in it.....kindly get back to me with reason why you are selling the car and the last asking price of the car.
    CHEERS
    I replied and got this one earlier today
    Your asking price € 3,950is okey with me....

I would have love to come over to your location to view the item but i can not come at the moment due to the nature of my work as present. .

I have about two of my clients who has interest in the item one of them had responded very positively and and he's ready to send payment ..

I have added my Commission and Shipping charges to your asking price, Any amount that is above your asking price on the payment would be transfer to me for the shipping charges and my commission.

I understand that the payment will clear first before arranging for the pick-up and shipment of the item ..

kindly provide me with the following details as below so that i will instruct my client to mailed the payment to you and i will also forward your address to the shipping firm, so as to contact you for the shipment as soon as the payment clears from your bank..

PAYMENT INFORMATION:

1). Your Full Name...........which you want on the Bank draft?

(2).. Your Full Address...........where the Bank draft will be send to?

(3).. Your Mobile & Home Phone#.....so to ring you on should be in case i don't access my computer?

As soon as i receive this details, i will ensure that you receive payment in 2-3 working days. I want you to understand that any profit i make from this transaction is how i use to earn a living..
    regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sweetie13

Ya I got one of those Femvic Whyte messages too Brian, exactly the same. Sounds a bit dodge, probably send a fraudulent bank draft or something. Who'd buy a pig in a bag?!

Anyone for a 00 Celica?!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

Re: 2004 Audi A4‏
    From:offline16.pngdaniel friedrich (daniel.friedrich@btinternet.com

Any of you interested in a VERY!! cheap audi?????????????????????????????

How do these transactions work?????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 22,278 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The more ?????? or !!!!!!! at the end of your internet sentences, the more chance scammers have with you, in my experience.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Heleboo

I saw this ad on Carzone: http://www.carzone.ie/1101467

Nice 1 year old car, great price..... or maybe too great!!

I contacted the seller through carzone & got this reply:

So I emailed the seller back & asked for a telephone number & his reply minus a telephone number is:

I think this smells too fishy to be true....What do you folks think ??:eek:

Exact same thing happened to me, and being a silly young girl I nearly fell for it, got pics of logbook and receipt for the car, only difference was that it was his brother who had died. He refused to give a contact number, and I then said I had shown the emails to the guards, a solicitor and customs and got a reply that I was a stupid bitch!
    Forget people aren't all decent at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Heleboo

magotch07 wrote: »
    Its a complete scam dont do it, he will get you to transfer money to western union

Just posted a reply to another post where this happened, happened to me, and very nearly got caught out with it, but when i offered other methods of proving i had the cash he got weird, and the upshot was he called me a bitch and never heard from him again. Can only presume that if the price seems too good to turn down, even when it sounds feasible, just run! Plenty of good cars on the market right now by decent people that are desperate to be rid of cars. These scams are awful, but what can you do when free advertising is available? Wonder how many people that guy with the dead brother has actually caught out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Muzo

sweetie13 wrote: »
    Ya I got one of those Femvic Whyte messages too Brian, exactly the same. Sounds a bit dodge, probably send a fraudulent bank draft or something. Who'd buy a pig in a bag?!

Anyone for a 00 Celica?!
    I got a similar enquiry to the Carzone ad for my Audi (below). It sounded very fishy like yours... Why would someone in Holland in this case want to import a 2003 audi from Ireland? And why does the intermediary have a UK number? Then I looked at second hand prices in NL and was surprised to see equivalent audi's are roughly twice the price over there compared to IE, so wondered if this could be genuine. - Anyone out there sold and shipped a car in this way?

"I am interested in purchasing this vehicle ,it suits my requirements perfectly,I run two garages ,one in Dublin and the other in the Netherlands, i shuffle most of my time between the two .
    THESE ARE MY TERMS OF TRANSACTION IF CAR IS EXACTLY AS STATED IN ADVERT:
    1) I WILL BE PAYING WITH A BANKER'S DRAFT / CHEQUE WHICH I WILL ALLOW TO CLEAR BEFORE THE PICKUP/SHIPMENT OF THE CAR.
    2) I WILL INCLUDE FEES FOR SHIPMENT IN PAYMENT, THIS MY SHIPPING AGENCY WILL USE FOR PICK-UP AFETR DUE INSPECTION.
    The excess funds on deposit will go towards covering costs for shipping,shippers fees,insurance,tax and any other expenses that might be incurred getting it down to the new owner. I will want you to get in touch with the following details if my terms are okay:

FULL NAME............................
    ADDRESS........................
    TELEPHONE NUMBERS...................(Mobile and Land)

As soon as i have your details,i can have payment effected immediately,all things being equal,we should have this wrapped up by the end of this week.

Pls note that you'll have to send on the balance on the funds that you'll get to my shipper so he can come attend to the inspection and if all is well,pick up the car as soon as you make the car ready. I beleive that most transaction are based on trust,so i will look forward to a succesful transaction with you."

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Frank_Leach

One of many questions arises here...if this "gentleman" has indeed two offices, one in dublin and one in the netherlands, one presumes he is purchasing your car to have for use while in Dublin.

Then why the need to ship it to Holland?

There are so many bogus ads and repliers to ads on carzone, autotrader, and gumtree.
    Yes, this ad is nonsense. Do not send him any details on anything,

First giveaway sign it's bogus, is that they pay the asking price straight up! How many people on adverts or any other site do that? They also sell at a silly-low price usually almost half the value. Then the paypal request comes...then, i usually reply in a not so civil fashion, and somehow the correspondance ends. Gotta love Criminals, shame they aint so smart..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

One of many questions arises here...if this "gentleman" has indeed two offices, one in dublin and one in the netherlands, one presumes he is purchasing your car to have for use while in Dublin.

Then why the need to ship it to Holland?
    Indeed, and if he runs a garage in Dublin, why would he ask (and trust) a stranger, online, to ship a second-hand car to Holland?!

• Advertisement

Muzo wrote: »
    I ..wondered if this could be genuine........you'll have to send on the balance on the funds that you'll get to my shipper
    Oh. Dear. God.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Muzo

...I feel foolish. Luckily, not foolish enough to have replied to this scam offer without seeking advice - Thanks ...this was my first post on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

Saw an add on done deal the other day for a car which i enquired about. Below is the email I received back.

I'm fairly sure it's a scam or some sort just wondering how it works.

Hi
    Thanks for your e-mail! Here are my car docs.
    As I allready explained , I live in USA and I will go to Liverpool only for this deal.
    I could meet you there next weekend, if that is ok for you too, but I have to be sure that you are serious, because I have a long way ...from USA to UK .
    So here are my conditions:
    I won't ask for any money in advance, but you must reserve the car and I will come only if you are decided to buy it .And as a warranty that you really want to buy the car and that you have the money (in cash) for the car, I require that you arrange a payed deposit on your name , for the price of the car ( 4500 euro). Regarding the deposit, there is a service very fast and easy to use, named Western Union. It is used for sending cash money . All that you have to do is to ask a friend or family to go to Western Union with the cash and to send it to Liverpool, to your name as receiver.
    Your friend will be the sender and you will be the receiver in Liverpool.
    (I ask you to do this because I want to be 100 % sure that you will be there and you will be ready to buy it because last week I went to Liverpool for nothing. A man from Dublin told me that he wants to meet me and buy it , so I went to Liverpool, but he never came and never answered to my emails .)
    After you make the transfer, I want you to send me an email with the scan of the receipt , so I can check with Western Union and if the transfer is ok, I will come to Liverpool to close the deal.
    You will verify the documents and test the car and we will make the sale documents. Then we will go to a Western Union office, you will take the money and pay me.
    PS: I told you that someone else must be the sender, not you, because some Western Union offices do not give you the money if the receiver is also sender.
    Regarding the transfer fees, you will deduce them from the total amount,So that you won't pay nothing more ,just the price that we agreed ( for example 4350 euro+ fees 150 euro= 4500).
    This transfer is also good for you because you avoid the risk of a traveling with the money in pocket.
    Let me know if this is OK with you as soon as possible , let me know if I should reserve the car for you.

Kind Regards,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

i read the first two lines and already its a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

yes, its a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

the minute i saw western union i thought nigerian.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

fonejacker.jpg

Don't send any 'cash money' to him. Once you see Western Union, it's a scam.

thanks for quick reply guys. When it's too good to be true...

Ye know the rest.

briman1983 wrote: »
    thanks for quick reply guys. When it's too good to be true...

Ye know the rest.

please, continue :confused:

but anyway, email him and ask him why the car is in liverpool. Its because his brother died over there. Also, ask to see some scanned photo ID, as you want to trust him. Always waste their time a little..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Can you post a link or pm me of this car,i would like to have a bit of fun with this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

but it is tottaly innocent..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

robbie_998 wrote: »
    i read the first two lines and already its a scam

+1 saw USA and Liverpool, didn't even read past that..

Had a look for it there and its has been taken down but by all means rip the piss heres 'maeves' email maeve.hugh@googlemail.com. Its a audi a3 black, sports trim, alloys etc

briman1983 wrote: »
    Had a look for it there and its has been taken down but by all means rip the piss heres 'maeves' email **********@googlemail.com. Its a audi a3 black, sports trim, alloys etc

careful now, could be Maeve Higgings ! :pac:

When they asked me for a scan of my passport, I was only too happy to oblige..

mypassport.jpg
    they got a bit Irate at that, so I apologised, saying I misunderstood. then sent them the scan of the proper page..
    pass.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Motors.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I really LOL'd (actually) when I saw Western Union and like others said I didn't even bother reading past that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Threads merged.

• Advertisement

After you make the transfer, I want you to send me an email with the scan of the receipt , so I can check with Western Union and if the transfer is ok, I will come to Liverpool to close the deal.
    Read this as:
    After you make the transfer, I want you to send me an email with the scan of the receipt , so I can have my associate withdraw the money, and you will never hear from me again -sucker!

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement