Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭glanman

Got this email:
    Hello,

With the features of your car you posted, and i am interested to buying
    it, please kindly get back to me with the last offer via my e-mail address and
    also the present condition of the car. Then i would like to have more business
    relationship with you,Owing to your response to this email, i need a serious
    minded partner so that we can proceed immediately. My e-mail:********@gmail.com

I await your response.

Captain *********

He is a Captain though......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

glanman wrote: »
    Got this email:

Sure if you cant trust a Captain ,who can you trust? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

glanman wrote: »
    Got this email:

should have given us the email address - spam emails, here we come! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 neboboy

briman1983 wrote: »
    Saw an add on done deal the other day for a car which i enquired about. Below is the email I received back.

I'm fairly sure it's a scam or some sort just wondering how it works.

Hi
    Thanks for your e-mail! Here are my car docs.
    As I allready explained , I live in USA and I will go to Liverpool only for this deal.
    I could meet you there next weekend, if that is ok for you too, but I have to be sure that you are serious, because I have a long way ...from USA to UK .
    So here are my conditions:
    I won't ask for any money in advance, but you must reserve the car and I will come only if you are decided to buy it .And as a warranty that you really want to buy the car and that you have the money (in cash) for the car, I require that you arrange a payed deposit on your name , for the price of the car ( 4500 euro). Regarding the deposit, there is a service very fast and easy to use, named Western Union. It is used for sending cash money . All that you have to do is to ask a friend or family to go to Western Union with the cash and to send it to Liverpool, to your name as receiver.
    Your friend will be the sender and you will be the receiver in Liverpool.
    (I ask you to do this because I want to be 100 % sure that you will be there and you will be ready to buy it because last week I went to Liverpool for nothing. A man from Dublin told me that he wants to meet me and buy it , so I went to Liverpool, but he never came and never answered to my emails .)
    After you make the transfer, I want you to send me an email with the scan of the receipt , so I can check with Western Union and if the transfer is ok, I will come to Liverpool to close the deal.
    You will verify the documents and test the car and we will make the sale documents. Then we will go to a Western Union office, you will take the money and pay me.
    PS: I told you that someone else must be the sender, not you, because some Western Union offices do not give you the money if the receiver is also sender.
    Regarding the transfer fees, you will deduce them from the total amount,So that you won't pay nothing more ,just the price that we agreed ( for example 4350 euro+ fees 150 euro= 4500).
    This transfer is also good for you because you avoid the risk of a traveling with the money in pocket.
    Let me know if this is OK with you as soon as possible , let me know if I should reserve the car for you.

Kind Regards,

How much of a tit is he , of course you can send money to yourself with western union your name has nothing to do with it , many people all over the world have the same name , all you need is your pin and reciept number , name doesnt really matter , If any one ever tells you that they need you to place money in a certain account dont do it , say listen I will sort out the payment end of things not you , its your money so you should be in control of it not someone else,

Always always ask where the person is , and no matter where they say they are from tell them you have a cousin or a relation that lives right beside it and they can view the car or they can talk to the person ,
    then watch them run , I love doing it ,

Had one guy tell me he was in Spain and the car was also there , I said where in spain and he gave me some name of some place I googled the name and found a town near it and told him my uncle lives 10 minutes away from you he will go down to you and sort it out, you want to hear the excuses he came out with when I said that he sh!t a loaf when I said it, always use google to cath them out , google the business names they give you and google the towns they are from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

neboboy wrote: »
    Had one guy tell me he was in Spain and the car was also there , I said where in spain and he gave me some name of some place I googled the name and found a town near it and told him my uncle lives 10 minutes away from you he will go down to you and sort it out, you want to hear the excuses he came out with when I said that he sh!t a loaf when I said it, always use google to cath them out , google the business names they give you and google the towns they are from
    Heh, sound (and entertaining) advice indeed! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 colm10

I was thinking of going to view an 02 Audi A4 1.9TDi rs4 Kit. Its a private sale and the seller has 2 of these cars which are imported from the UK.

They are priced at around 7K plus vrt which will cost around 1,500.

Is there anything to be aware of here? The price does seem fairly good even though both cars have around 100K mileage.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

colm - do a HPI check on the car and make sure an independent mechanic gives it a once over before you part with any money!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

BostonB wrote: »
    so far out of 3 private ads I've tried on carzone. 2 were scams. At this point I probably not going to bother looking at private cars on Carzone anymore.

Previously when I was selling a car I got practically no response from an ad on carzone. Now I know why. Same car sold the first day it went into the evening paper.

Same happened me! Only ever check out the Dealer car ads!

If you're looking at private ads on Carzone, you'd be better off checking those on adverts.ie here - a huge amount of cars going there. I got my current one and sold the old one there, so I'm pretty happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

unreal! saw a beautiful 02 bmw coupe on carzone, price E3500! absolutely assume its a scam! here is the reply i get...

The price is 3500 euros
    Petrol, 2 doors, manual transmission, silver.
    ABS, Air Con., Airbags, Alarm, Alloys, CD, Cruise Control, Fogs, Immobiliser, Leather, Metallic Paint, Side Airbags
    Excellent Condition, the car was kept in a garage , it has BMW service book,the tires have been changed recently, and doesn't need repairings.It has no engine problem, no scratches.
    Registered in Ireland .The car is at the moment in Liverpool, UK.
    I live in the USA, I bought the car for my brother who lived in Ireland and then moved to UK. Unfortunately he died recently and I cannot take the car with me.
    You do not have to pay any taxes for this car. It is very easy to register it to your name .
    I have all the documents ready for sale. The car documents are on my name, so it is very simple.
    As payment I only accept cash and we will have to meet in Liverpool for the sale.

Thank you and I hope you will decide to buy my car.
    Here are some photos.
    Many thanks,Ann.

Do any morons actually fall for this? They must if these tossers go through this effort!

what are the chances Ann is actually Adam or Abdul, wants to meet down a back lane and pulls a knife?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Robb

unreal! saw a beautiful 02 bmw coupe on carzone, price E3500! absolutely assume its a scam! here is the reply i get...

The price is 3500 euros
    ABS, Air Con., Airbags, Alarm, Alloys, CD, Cruise Control, Fogs, Immobiliser, Leather, Metallic Paint, Side Airbags
    Excellent Condition, the car was kept in a garage , it has BMW service book,the tires have been changed recently, and doesn't need repairings.It has no engine problem, no scratches.
    I live in the USA, I bought the car for my brother who lived in Ireland and then moved to UK. Unfortunately he died recently and I cannot take the car with me.
    You do not have to pay any taxes for this car. It is very easy to register it to your name .
    I have all the documents ready for sale. The car documents are on my name, so it is very simple.
    As payment I only accept cash and we will have to meet in Liverpool for the sale.

Here are some photos.
    Many thanks,Ann.

Do any morons actually fall for this? They must if these tossers go through this effort!

what are the chances Ann is actually Adam or Abdul, wants to meet down a back lane and pulls a knife?

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 22,278 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Idbatterim wrote: »
    No chance of that back lane meeting - the scam take place via Western Union......

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Not sure if im posting this in the right thread, but i just got this email:

RESPONSE NEEDED NOW.....‏
    Sent: 07 January 2010 18:58:38
    To: Noel O'Brien (********)
    Hello,
    Thank you for your prompt response, I am very interested in buying the product you're selling ... I would like to be the next owner of the item, because I am buying for my family use, I am in the UK right now. So, I can not come for the incpection of the item at the time. But, I have a pick-up agency can handle the pick-up item in your home.
    I wish to inform you that my only method of payment available is to send a check for payment you will receive payment from your bank account between 2-3 days and will include the cost of raising up the voice with the total amount that will be payment.So the check immediately you receive the check from me you will have to deposit in your account, which will be clear in 2-3 days and once the check clears your account, you can deduct the cost of the item and then send the remaining money to my truck and agency in the United Kingdom via Western Union, which would pay for transport so that all works of paper and all the necessary customs formalities and excise duties could be paid by the sender .
    I want to get back to me with all the necessary information listed below in order to make the payment.

NAME: --
    Full address: --
    Zip.
    COUNTRY ..
    LAST ASKING PRICE
    CELL / HOME PHONE

I will ensure that the payment to reach you within 5 working days.I waiting for a quick response
    Information.Thanks and your payment for your cooperation.

Thanks .. feel free to call my cell phone (+44) 703 187 9375, anytime
    jamie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Yes, it's a scam...

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭magotch07

Idbatterim wrote: »

The price is 3500 euros

Here are some photos.
    Many thanks,Ann.

the id they are using for this scam is a friend of mine from college she is quiet hot too so dont be fooled ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

magotch07 wrote: »
    the id they are using for this scam is a friend of mine from college she is quiet hot too so dont be fooled ha ha

Quiet and hot......ooh, the best kind ! :D

back on topic, though, here's what I got in the post today for my 10k car -.......aah, isn't he, like, just SO generous ?:rolleyes:

Who is 'Jimmy', anyway ?

102384.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JoePhandango

galwaytt wrote: »

102384.jpg

Mmmm. genuine! Even back when that was their logo, it didn't look like that!!!!! The felt tip drawn green star is particularly authentic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,278 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Look at the gammy € symbol at the top right too...

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

fonejacker.jpg

Don't send any 'cash money' to him. Once you see Western Union, it's a scam.

Irish man so stupid i make almost €10,000 per month from this people:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Not sure if im posting this in the right thread, but i just got this email:

RESPONSE NEEDED NOW.....‏
    Sent: 07 January 2010 18:58:38
    To: Noel O'Brien (********)
    Hello,
    Thank you for your prompt response, I am very interested in buying the product you're selling ... I would like to be the next owner of the item, because I am buying for my family use, I am in the UK right now. So, I can not come for the incpection of the item at the time. But, I have a pick-up agency can handle the pick-up item in your home.
    I wish to inform you that my only method of payment available is to send a check for payment you will receive payment from your bank account between 2-3 days and will include the cost of raising up the voice with the total amount that will be payment.So the check immediately you receive the check from me you will have to deposit in your account, which will be clear in 2-3 days and once the check clears your account, you can deduct the cost of the item and then send the remaining money to my truck and agency in the United Kingdom via Western Union, which would pay for transport so that all works of paper and all the necessary customs formalities and excise duties could be paid by the sender .
    I want to get back to me with all the necessary information listed below in order to make the payment.

NAME: --
    Full address: --
    Zip.
    COUNTRY ..
    LAST ASKING PRICE
    CELL / HOME PHONE

I will ensure that the payment to reach you within 5 working days.I waiting for a quick response
    Information.Thanks and your payment for your cooperation.

Thanks .. feel free to call my cell phone (+44) 703 187 9375, anytime
    jamie

The Dumb Ass couldn't even spell Cheque properly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

SIX PACK wrote: »
    The Dumb Ass couldn't even spell Cheque properly

That's how they spell it in the US!

txpjl wrote: »
    That's how they spell it in the US!
    Yes, they spell lots of things incorrectly there... Anyway, this misspelling is a good hint that the scammer is not from where they imply they're from.

Ditto "my truck and company in the United Kingdom", someone from England would not say that; they'd be more specific and less verbose. Also he asks for your ZIP and country, more US-specific terminology and... why is he asking what country you're in??

He's basically saying "I'm very interested in buying your car but I'm not sure where in the world you are?" - that doesn't make any sense at all! You don't buy a car in a random country and pay for it to be shipped.

And why does he have two different names? Bill and Jamie? Which is it? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

Lads not sure if this is a scam or not, just got it:

Name: Simon

Phone No:

Email Address : infordatabase@gmail.com

Ref/URL: http://www.autotrader.ie/search/Fiat/Grande-Punto/*RARE-ON/201003196598787/advert?channel=CARS

Comments:
    Hello,
    Do you still have your car for sale?
    Please get back to me with the asking price and the present condition of the car in order to make a deal.
    Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

Cheers betafrog!
    thought it was suspect alright. The car has been up two days and i've had two scam emails already.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭E mc kiernan

please people steer me in the right direction, 03 gt tdi golf 3000 euro? regestered in england but currently in italy?can be delivered to my address in 3days does this sound like a scam or what?foolishily i give them my addrerss an phone no lucky enough no bank details though!!i done a check on cartell an all the details seem ok but a few things just didnt seem write as i asked to speak to them in person but wouldn't until closer to deal????please give me your opionion:confused: i would have 24 hours upon arrival to make up my mind or bring it to a garage!the more i type the more i hear alarm bells?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Course its a scam! Do a search of this forum, its there many times over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

URGENT!!!!!!! ??????????????????????????

Are you sure mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!! RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved to the scam thread for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭papachango

Hi Guys,
    A new carzone scam, for me anyway, is here. Its in the form of an email from 'classifieds@carzone.ie' offering Garmin 5012 GPS Receiver for €2.99.
    If you click on the link it will bring you to a '.com' website where you are invited to enter your login and password, you will then be invited to enter your credit card details.
    This is a poor attempt at getting card information but it is better to be forewarned about it.
    :cool:

Advertisement