Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭scienceoverBS

I would of course have looked for a full car history and indeed worked on a better price but the truth of it was I was working abroad for 6 months and my wife bought the car as a surprise for me thinking she was doing a nice thing. Her inexperience was exploited for sure and in the end we learned a very valuable lesson. My story is totally true and no I am not just here to slate the dealer,BUT... these guys ARE con artists.. I told the owner that as I will have to borrow more money to buy a new car that I will have nothing else to do with my time other than to tell people about the treatment we got from his garage from day 1. Its not as if I can afford to go out or holiday this year.. I will end up having spent almost 20,000 in the last year and a half and ended up with a 2005 toyota to show for it. I bought it in a decent garage.
    Surly its not a bad thing for me wanting to expose them... AND I WILL.

i really hope you do. joe "thehousewifesfriend"duffy would love to hear all about it im sure, i have alot of empathy for you i really do , unfortunately theres a trend of dealers setting up business for shot periods then setting up a new business under a different name, people who bought the car with warranty return with a problem to find dealer has upsticks and gone. this is happening all the time , there has to be some type of regulation on this before someone is killed never mind getting ripped off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mickeyb16

Lads,
    Has anyone come across or used this site? www.irishvehicletraders.com
    My little sister had money burning a hole in her pocket. She found an ad in the Herald, a guy selling a 2002 Beetle for €1700, they are up on carzone for around €6500. Anyway, he's a Dutch student who now lives in Ireland and moved to the UK to go to college and needs cash. Anyway, this company handle the transaction for you. You transfer the money, the car is delivered and you have 7 days to declare satisfaction with it and then they release the cash to the seller. Can't find any history of them on the web or on their website. No stories, nothing. I know you are saying if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. Anyway, any help or comments greatly appreciated.
    GF.
    yes same happened me it just a pity i did not see this forum before i got scammed irish vehicle traders.com is a scam i got scammed 3400 euro by a so called dutch student that was moved from ireland to england an wanted to use that site is there anything i can do

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Oniciara

I saw a car on the buy and sell web site, its an 02 320d bmw... which is exactly what i was looking for.. I knew it was very cheap but thought I would email the seller to see what the story was behind car. Below is the reply I got and it seems to good to be true... What do you think??????

"This vehicle is still available for sale!
    The price i'm asking is 2,400 Ireland including free transportation to any location in Ireland. I'm selling at this price because I have serious financial problems and need the money asap. I will give you the chance to receive and inspect the car before giving me the money. For this transaction I want to use eBay third party program so we can both be safe. I had it on ebay on a higher price a few days ago but had no luck. If you are interested please replay and i will send you all the info on how to purchase"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Oniciara wrote: »
    I saw a car on the buy and sell web site, its an 02 320d bmw... which is exactly what i was looking for.. I knew it was very cheap but thought I would email the seller to see what the story was behind car. Below is the reply I got and it seems to good to be true... What do you think??????

The price i'm asking is 2,400 Ireland including free transportation to any location in Ireland. I'm selling at this price because I have serious financial problems and need the money asap. I will give you the chance to receive and inspect the car before giving me the money. For this transaction I want to use eBay third party program so we can both be safe. I had it on ebay on a higher price a few days ago but had no luck. If you are interested please replay and i will send you all the info on how to purchase"

the mention of eBay third party program is enough to say SCAM SCAM SCAM

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Why is it nearly always BMW 3-series in these scams? When I was buying last year, I saw tonnes of these.

Anyway, please do not drag up old threads. I've split the posts out and moved them to a more appropriate forum

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

So he will let you receive and inspect the car but wont accept the cash off ya then and wants to use ebay for it.. That doesnt strike you as odd?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

The price i'm asking is 2,400 Ireland including free transportation to any location in Ireland.
    2,400 Irelands for one BMW? That's a bit expensive TBH. :rolleyes:
    I'm selling at this price because I have serious financial problems and need the money asap.
    Yeah, that's exactly the kind of thing you tell prospective buyers: "I have massive financial problems, must sell now now now!" really inspires confidence, not shady at all.

Real sellers would probably be more inclined to say "well, I'm thinking of letting it go but no rush" so as not to the price immediately haggled down by 50% :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 connie40

Its a scam, they tried it with me to buy my car on gumtree and release d money when some one comes and collect the car, so beware of that scam and they ask you to send money through paypal........... BEWARE

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i use one few rules:

1. No freaking paypals and internet paying companies.
    2. Allways cash sale
    3. Newer bring money when you going to check out car in private sale ( only enought for deposit)
    4. Newer look at adds which are too good to be truth. If you really trying those out, you deserve to get your money taken from you!

p.s. Love that " delevery anywhere" bit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Not even 24 hours on Carzone, and I have already negotiated the sale of my Golf! Good times.

I said I'll stick up the transcript for the craic.
    Thanks for the email. Please I have a client who is very much interested in buying your vehicle. He happened to budget for a car last time and unfortunately it was sold. I have discussed with him and he has agreed that he will be willing to have the vehicle shipped to greece upon reaching an agreement with you.

1) Is the engine in perfect condition?
    2) How often do you service the Vehicle?
    3) How many miles on the Vehicle now?
    4) Are you the owners?
    5) If yes, for how long did you use Vehicle?
    6)Finally At what price are you willing to sell this
    Vehicle to Us ...Bottom price.

Thanks,
    ................................................................................................................................
    Hi Andrew,

I appreciate your surprisingly prompt reply.

1) The engine looks really perfect. It looks so perfect in fact, that I think you may offer more than my asking price, and that is before you even step foot in the car.
    2) I have hoovered the engine bay 3 times during my ownership. It has really good long life oil however, so it has never been changed. That oil will remain forever. That is why they name it long life.
    3) There is 119,950 miles on the vehicle right now. It drives as if there are only 116,370 on it though.
    4) Yes I am the owners.
    5) Since I answered yes to the above, I feel I must tell you I have used vehicle for just over 3 years.
    6) Since I have the vehicle listed at €2450, I expect to sell it for at least twice that amount. On closer inspection of the clean engine, I feel you may be overwhelmed and shall be unable to refuse such an offer.

7) Thanks
    ...................................................................................................................................
    Hello

I have forwarded your vehicle information to my client and after evaluation and due to time constraint on the fact that we are running short of time. I'm delighted to tell you that my client has recommended your vehicle,with full interest and he has instructed me to carry on with his transaction,he hopes the engine is serviced and oil changed too.He cant wait to see the vehicle parked in his garage.However,My client made out a certified cashiers check of(12,450euros) before he travelled to London on a business trip,for a previous vehicle and its shipment charges etc,but it was unfortunately sold.The amount on the check he deposited for the vehicle is bigger than what should be paid to you now,so the check is now meant for the total expenses which includes the purchase of your vehicle,the pick up of the vehicle from its present location and the shipping charges/other necessary shipping arrangements. However he has instructed us to carry on with this transaction.So you're required to deduct the cost of your vehicle (2,450euros)and send the balance of(10,000euros) to the Agent ( our shipper ) for him to be able to offset shipping & tax charges, and other cosmetic repair costs.After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper,the shipper's agent will come for inspection, pick up (of vehicle & signing of title papers), make some cosmetic touches and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer.and also conclude other necessary shipping arrangements.So you dont have to bother yourself about the pick up and shipping arrangements.Please Confirm this and provide the below information for check payment to be delivered to you via fedex courier.

Full Name......

Full Home Address.....

Phone Number..........

Thanks,
    .............................................................................................................................................................
    Hi Andrew,

This is super news! I am surprised that you spoke with your client in Greece so promptly. Modern technology is amazing however.

On further evaluation of my car, I believe the check I will receive for 12,450 euros is about right. You are a very good business persons. I believe your client will use you for many more trans-continental vehicular transactions. I have many friends in other countries who may be interested in being your client. What do you think?

On my calculation, there is about 17 different shipping agents involved. This must cost your client close to 30,000 euros. It is worth it though, as my Golf 1.4 engine has the power of 75 horses running through a field. In the summer.

Shipping should be easy as Limerick has an international port.

Below are my details:

Full Name...... John F. Kennedy

Full Home Address.......69 Rim Lane, Gullible Street, Vancouver, Ireland.

Phone Number......087 007

Thank.
    ...........................................................................................................................
    THE PHONE NUMBER YOU STATED WASN'T COMPLETE....Please Confirm this and provide the below information for check payment to be delivered to you via fedex courier.

Full Name......

Full Home Address.....

Phone Number..........

Thanks,
    ........................................................................................................................
    Apologies Andy,

That is my work number.

My own personal number is 1570 444 115. You may need to insert 00 353 before that however, it is international extension. Maybe 00353 570 444 115.

My girlfriend Brenda may answer as she is living here too. She is very friendly so you should have no problems with her. Thanks.

http://www.a1-phone-sex-uk.co.uk/Irish-phone-sex-with-Brenda-from-Dublin.htm

If you cannot contact that number I look forward to our future conversations.
    ............................................................................................................................
    Hello,

I am very happy to the extent of our discussion so far,i am promising not to let you down and complete my own side of this deal...........i will like you to consider your cars as been sold to my client ok.keep an hold on the car from any other buyer.my client cant waite to see this car parked in his garage......

My good Friend i will let you know as soon as the cheque is been posted to you which you know might take some days....thank you very much for kindness

• Advertisement

Fizman wrote: »
    4) Are you the owners?

4) Yes I am the owners.

ROFL! Not even an eyebrow raised when you sent them the "a1-phone-sex" link. Funny how they happened to have made out a cheque for exactly €10,000 more than you were going to sell your car for :) And how someone would pay multiple agents and people to find and ship a second-hand Golf to Greece... rather than buying, say, a second-hand Golf in Greece...

Also Vancouver Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Not even 24 hours on Carzone, and I have already negotiated the sale of my Golf! Good times.

I said I'll stick up the transcript for the craic.

QUOTE]

That was very good! :D Do people actually fall for these guys still? Their stories are so far fetched you would want to be living in a cave for the last 20 years to believe them.

zynaps wrote: »
    ROFL! Not even an eyebrow raised when you sent them the "a1-phone-sex" link. Funny how they happened to have made out a cheque for exactly €10,000 more than you were going to sell your car for :) And how someone would pay multiple agents and people to find and ship a second-hand Golf to Greece... rather than buying, say, a second-hand Golf in Greece...

Also Vancouver Ireland :D

I actually didn't send him on the link, I just stuck it in arseways to my post last night. Of course I would not have wanted to let him know that my gf is a call girl.

I actually didn't send him on the link, I just stuck it in arseways to my post last night. Of course I would not have wanted to let him know that my gf is a call girl.
    It sounds like he might not have noticed anyway, after falling for the name and address :P

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Superdaddy

This is a new one on me, i am selling a car on carzone and this is my interested customers email:D

1st email
    Name: Andrew

Phone No: 00306941472990

Email Address : andrews001002@hotmail.com

Comments: i am interested in buying you car.get back to me if avilable
    so i reply
    When do you want see it?
    he replies
    GET BACK TO ME ASAP

Thanks for the email. Please I have a client who is very much interested in buying your vehicle. He happened to budget for a car last time and unfortunately it was sold. I have discussed with him and he has agreed that he will be willing to have the vehicle shipped to greece upon reaching an agreement with you.

1) Is the engine in perfect condition?
    2) How often do you service the Vehicle?
    3) How many miles on the Vehicle now?
    4) Are you the owners?
    5) If yes, for how long did you use Vehicle?
    6)Finally At what price are you willing to sell this
    Vehicle to Us ...Bottom price.

Thanks,
    I start to smell a rat, but i'm willing to be entertained:) So i reply
    The car is being used everyday and is serviced every 6-7000miles. The engine is perfect as is the whole car. You will have to come see the car. My wife owns the car and has had it for 3 years, it's a great little car, surprisingly powerful and very economical. I will let it go for €4000. Where are you based? How will you pay?
    He replies within minutes;)

Hello

I have forwarded your vehicle information to my client and after evaluation and due to time constraint on the fact that we are running short of time. I'm delighted to tell you that my client has recommended your vehicle,with full interest and he has instructed me to carry on with his transaction,he hopes the engine is serviced and oil changed too.He cant wait to see the vehicle parked in his garage.However,My client made out a certified cashiers check of(14,000euros) before he travelled to London on a business trip,for a previous vehicle and its shipment charges etc,but it was unfortunately sold.The amount on the check he deposited for the vehicle is bigger than what should be paid to you now,so the check is now meant for the total expenses which includes the purchase of your vehicle,the pick up of the vehicle from its present location and the shipping charges/other necessary shipping arrangements. However he has instructed us to carry on with this transaction.So you're required to deduct the cost of your vehicle (4,000euros)and send the balance of(10,000euros) to the Agent ( our shipper ) for him to be able to offset shipping & tax charges, and other cosmetic repair costs.After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper,the shipper's agent will come for inspection, pick up (of vehicle & signing of title papers), make some cosmetic touches and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer.and also conclude other necessary shipping arrangements.So you dont have to bother yourself about the pick up and shipping arrangements.Please Confirm this and provide the below information for check payment to be delivered to you via fedex courier.

Full Name......

Full Home Address.....

Phone Number..........

Thanks,
    So i reply again:D
    This is wonderful news and my wife is very happy. We will not delay and we understand that you are in a hurry. We cannot give you our home address for security reasons because of our work. But you can contact us at my wifes work address. Detective Mary Harney, Tallaght Police station, Tallaght, Co. Dublin. If you would like to speak to her ring this number 01 6666000 and ask to be put through to her, she is working today
    Haven't heard a word since, his client won't be too pleased if he losses out on this car:D:D:D

Superdaddy wrote: »
    This is a new one on me, i am selling a car on carzone and this is my interested customers email:D

1st email

so i reply

he replies

I start to smell a rat, but i'm willing to be entertained:) So i reply

He replies within minutes;)

So i reply again:D

Haven't heard a word since, his client won't be too pleased if he losses out on this car:D:D:D

Read my post on the previous page. Spoke to this guy last night! Have fun with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Stonypockets

Hey was wondering if anyone could help me out, put my peugeot 206 up on cbg and gumtree yesterday (working my way towards autotrader today!)

Got a call this morning from an english company called Easy Sell UK, they tell me they are based in London, buying cars on behalf of their customers who will be getting car finance through them. He tells me I will get the full asking price of the car as their customers are not allowed to negotiate, and it means both easy sell and my self are "laughing" to quote!

Anyways, he comes from london to sligo to look at the car, and I need to pay him £120 to guarantee I'm genuine, as they dont want to be sending their sellers all over the place for any tom dick or harry. I really smell a scam, but have only found one other thread on askaboutmoney.ie making reference to it, and no on could confirm whether or not its a scam! ... It really sounds too good to be true, told him I'd call him tomorrow once I've had a chance to do my research on the company...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Don't give them anything, it's a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Stonypockets

Ah yes, after I posted that, I decided to google the number he called from, and this came up:

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/02088881789/2

There's lots of very happy people out there... Phew... :D thanks alanstrainor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Lad your a gas man, i enjoyed that:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭phunkymonk

Hey all,

Ive seen a really nice car i want to get. Ive been in contact with the owner via email only at the minute.Hes eager to sell a golf with a very good price! The problem is he has moved to London the last few days so i didnt get to view the car, hes lookin for a quick sale (needs cash for rent of an apt) but im very concerned not viewin it before i get it. he says he will deliver it to me so obviously i would view it then before money is exchanged but dont want them travelin over here to then say no.

Can anyone offer me any advice on what documents I could ask him to scan to me to make sure its a genuine car? or what other information i would need? dont wanna get screwed further in this downturn!!!!

Appreciate any advice or experiences!
    Cheers.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

This is definitely a scam. See this thread for the exact same story:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055809491

A cheap Golf for sale by a guy that just moved to London and needs money for a deposit. The girl in question lost €1300 on it.

Think about it, why would anyone move to the UK, take the car with them, and then try to sell it back in Ireland? They'd sell the car before they left, or they'd leave it here for someone to sell for them.

The seller will ask you to put the money in escrow before he delivers it to you. Then you never see the car, or the money again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Smells a lot like a scam to me. Offer to have a friend in London inspect the car and see what excuses he comes up with.

cheers guys..i would never have given the money without actually havin it..what a shower of c**ts!

I should email him back and be like i feel bad for takin it for such a good deal and offer him 2k over his askin price and say now the problem is ive moved to australia so can you arrange shipping to here aswel.....BOOM!Pr**ks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

A colleague of mine spoke to me recently about a 06 Passat for just under 4 grand...
    Same story, same scam.

IT IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Before you part with cash you must have driven the car yourself, had it inspected by a professional & feel satisfied the car isn't a lemon.
    Im very suspicious about people who are selling cars who say oh im not in the country at the moment.
    As the other posts have said, it does sound dodgy.
    Take your time with buying cars, theres always another car out there.

Good luck.:)

IT IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.
    :D

ah ya,i kept repeating that in my head...the ad went up on dondeal on sat and straight away was like this is a scam if i ever seen one,it was actually taken down because they thought it wasnt genuine but emailed to say they contacted the seller and that it WAS a genuine sale! Balls on their advise aswel...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭debbie123

sounds like a similar scan think it was carzone audi a4 he was sayin he was in us the car was english but on irish plates he was selliin the car because his brother died it happened my sister same guy same story different car a 3 series bmw he wanted to sell the car in liverpool and cash only

Thread merged. It's more at home here than in it's own thread.

• Advertisement

Thread renamed. "The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!".

Advertisement