Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

So I put an ad up on CBG today and it went live at 10.55am. Lo and behole I got at call from the Peugeot Department of Easy Sell at 10.58. And miracles of miracles they had buyers lined up to view my car. So I let him ramble on for about 5 mins with me asking the usual questions and letting on I was interested.

After a while I just stopped him in his tracks and asked how come my ad was put up at 10.55 and you had numerous buyers by 10.58? His mumbled something and said 'ehh lets just leave it so'. But I couldn't let it lie. I went off on a rant and everytime he tried to say something I just butted in and wouldn't let him speak.

He eventually hung up on me instead of the other way around. But I enjoyed it. Thanks Boards for all the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

largepants wrote: »
    So I put an ad up on CBG today and it went live at 10.55am. Lo and behole I got at call from the Peugeot Department of Easy Sell at 10.58. And miracles of miracles they had buyers lined up to view my car. So I let him ramble on for about 5 mins with me asking the usual questions and letting on I was interested.

After a while I just stopped him in his tracks and asked how come my ad was put up at 10.55 and you had numerous buyers by 10.58? His mumbled something and said 'ehh lets just leave it so'. But I couldn't let it lie. I went off on a rant and everytime he tried to say something I just butted in and wouldn't let him speak.

He eventually hung up on me instead of the other way around. But I enjoyed it. Thanks Boards for all the info.

His brother living in america and with an agent in liverpool will probably e mail you telling you to send the car over to him:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Johnmul1987

Trying to sell my FTO on a few sites. Got this earlier from autotrader when i checked my mail

Name: antony robert

Phone No:

Email Address : antony.robert84@yahoo.com

Ref/URL: http://www.autotrader.ie/search/Mitsubishi/FTO/GS/201008197014170/advert?channel=CARS

Comments: Hi seller,
    I saw your car advert pasted on internet for sale and am highly interested in buying it....Why are you selling it?What is the present condition of it?What is the last asking price?So get back to me if is still available...Waiting to read from you soon..

Car is only on sale for lie 2 days as well. I was a bit suspect tbh. What do ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Trying to sell my FTO on a few sites. Got this earlier from autotrader when i checked my mail

Name: antony robert

Phone No:

Email Address : antony.robert84@yahoo.com

Ref/URL: http://www.autotrader.ie/search/Mitsubishi/FTO/GS/201008197014170/advert?channel=CARS

Comments: Hi seller,
    I saw your car advert pasted on internet for sale and am highly interested in buying it....Why are you selling it?What is the present condition of it?What is the last asking price?So get back to me if is still available...Waiting to read from you soon..

Car is only on sale for lie 2 days as well. I was a bit suspect tbh. What do ya think?

fonejacker.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Johnmul1987

Yup thought so lol. Even when I was reading the email the wording of it put me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

...Waiting to read from you soon..

What do ya think?

Yup, suspect. But why not reply for the crack? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I've been looking at a Polo and the owner says he's got NCT till 07/11. I checked the car's registration on mywheels.ie and it says the NCT's been off since June 2009.
    Everything else about the car looks fine. Owner claims its got full service history and all.

Is there something I should be worried about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Believe the documentation, or call the NCTS to verify. Ignore mywheels.ie, they've been shown to be inaccurate at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭jomc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

jomc wrote: »

No, just expensive, and it kinda looks similar to a isuzu trooper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

jomc wrote: »
    Import? It's listed as 2002 but the reg says 07.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Guy I work with came clean today. He sent off a cheque for an RX8 believing that it was going to an escrow company. It didn't occur to him that an '08 RX8 should cost more than 8grand

• Registered Users Posts: 22,278 ✭✭✭✭Esel

zynaps wrote: »
    That's just a typo. Wanna buy it? Just send the money to my escrow agent..... ;)

Seriously though - you did spot that the pictures are not of a VW Golf?

Not your ornery onager

Onkle wrote: »
    Guy I work with came clean today. He sent off a cheque for an RX8 believing that it was going to an escrow company. It didn't occur to him that an '08 RX8 should cost more than 8grand
    My agent is processing that paperwork as I type. Your esteemed colleague should hear from our delivery supplies official with a request to pay extra shipping charges from Liverpool, where he is now positioned to organise the funeral of my brother. I myself am relocated in Germany due to my company move. So, my last price on my 2004 RHD Mercedes-Benz CL350 is €2,500, as it is very difficult for me to sale here. :pac:

*Seriously: I hope to fupp he got to stop the cheque in time. :eek: I'm guessing not, though....

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

esel wrote: »
    My agent is processing that paperwork as I type. Your esteemed colleague should hear from our delivery supplies official with a request to pay extra shipping charges from Liverpool, where he is now positioned to organise the funeral of my brother. I myself am relocated in Germany due to my company move. So, my last price on my 2004 RHD Mercedes-Benz CL350 is €2,500, as it is very difficult for me to sale here. :pac:

*Seriously: I hope to fupp he got to stop the cheque in time. :eek: I'm guessing not, though....

Nope he did not. He was emailing and kept getting fobbed off with excuses until the lad had disappeared altogether

That's just a typo. Wanna buy it? Just send the money to my escrow agent..... ;)

Seriously though - you did spot that the pictures are not of a VW Golf?
    Where do I forward the cheque? Should I make out two just in case one gets lost?? ;)

Onkle wrote: »
    Nope he did not. He was emailing and kept getting fobbed off with excuses until the lad had disappeared altogether
    I really do hate hearing people get scammed out of so much cash. When i first read about these scams i remeber thinking, no noe could possibly fall for it, but it only takes one out of hundreds/thousands and the scammers makes thousands of euro for little cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I was at a BBQ at the end of last summer and a friend of mine started telling me how his father was in the process of selling his Corolla worth 2.5K for 4K to a UK buyer. My scam sensors started tingling and I started to cringe as he described how the UK “buyer” had send them a draft for 8K and then said he had made a mistake in the amount and asked for the extra 4K to be wired back to him.

Unfortunately, I was too late with my warning as they had wired the money by Western Union a few days before. My friend just would not believe that they had been scammed as the 8K had shown up in their Bank account. I told him wait a few days for the bank to call him.

Anytime I ask him about it now he never tells me what happened so it’s a safe bet that they were caught for a lot of money!

zynaps wrote: »

07 :confused::confused::confused: How is it dodgey. Its a 02 in description and pictures. Am i missing something:confused:

malcox wrote: »
    07 :confused::confused::confused: How is it dodgey. Its a 02 in description and pictures. Am i missing something:confused:
    Yep, they fixed the ad and you didn't see the old version. I guess they just uploaded the wrong pictures :)

• Advertisement

malcox wrote: »

The pictures have changed. Yesterday the pictures were of an 07 Isuzu trooper

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ballyrhy86

Well lads, here's what I'd say is imagine is a definite scam (though I know very little about these things), an 07 Auris for 3,600 euro (http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Auris/201009197085810/advert?channel=CARS).

I e-mailed him last night to see what was wrong with it or why he was selling it for that price and he e-mailed back saying he has moved to London and didn't want to pay the "enormous" registration fees and was looking for a quick sale etc. The 3,600 included shipping, insurance and handling, what a bargain!!!

Anyways what should I say back? I'd love to put him through a few hoops and cost him a bit of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

ballyrhy wrote: »
    Well lads, here's what I'd say is imagine is a definite scam (though I know very little about these things), an 07 Auris for 3,600 euro (http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Auris/201009197085810/advert?channel=CARS).

I e-mailed him last night to see what was wrong with it or why he was selling it for that price and he e-mailed back saying he has moved to London and didn't want to pay the "enormous" registration fees and was looking for a quick sale etc. The 3,600 included shipping, insurance and handling, what a bargain!!!

Anyways what should I say back? I'd love to put him through a few hoops and cost him a bit of money!

You need to take it for a test drive. Ask him where it is and arrange a date. He'll object of course, but would he 'buy before try' .

I just sent him an email claiming the car was for my sick sister:D:D and i will buy the car but as i am in the usa at the moment with no phone. I said to reply with all his details including all his banking details and i will have the money wired to his account;););). Lets see how that goes down.....

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ballyrhy86

I e-mailed him there saying how I'd like a look and a test-drive. He said no no, I'll drop right to your house and all he wants is an 1800E deposit, what a guy!

Gonna send him a nice lemonparty or goatse link saying its my details!

ballyrhy86 wrote: »
    I e-mailed him there saying how I'd like a look and a test-drive. He said no no, I'll drop right to your house and all he wants is an 1800E deposit, what a guy!

Gonna send him a nice lemonparty or goatse link saying its my details!
    :D:D I drove him mad about 20 emails later and him insisting all his bull**** i told him i would pay him 8000 for the car without seeing it, just send me all his banking details. I got no reply from the cnut. His e mail is in for some spamming now:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭as.eirinn

Here's one I got...my reply below

The price is 4400 euros
    Petrol 2/3 doors, manual transmission, black.
    Mileage : 63,500, NCT 12/2010, ABS Brakes, Airbags, Alloys, Car Alarm, CD / Radio, Colour Coded Bumpers, Electric Mirrors, Electric Windows, Front Fog Lamps, Full Service History, Immobiliser, Lady Owner, Leather Interior, Metallic Paint, Power Steering, Remote Central Locking, Sports Suspension, Sunroof
    Excellent Condition, the car was kept in a garage , it has Audi service book,the tires have been changed recently, and doesn't need repairings.It has no engine problem, no scratches.
    Registered in Ireland .The car is at the moment in Liverpool, UK.
    I live in the USA, I bought the car for my sister who lived in Ireland and then moved to UK. Unfortunately she died recently and I cannot take the car with me.
    You do not have to pay any taxes for this car. It is very easy to register it to your name .
    I have all the documents ready for sale. The car documents are on my name, so it is very simple.
    As payment I only accept cash and we will have to meet in Liverpool for the sale.

Thank you and I hope you will decide to buy my car.
    Here are some photos.

Many thanks,Maeve

replied...

hi maeve, you gotta be ****ing kidding me...you give me the generic email spoof of 'my ****ing sister died' then expect me to go to a foreign country to get rolled for a non existent car...i hope you get what your sister got and do us all a favour and drop ****ing dead you cheeky ****....now **** off and stop wasting my time you dogs abortion!!!!

PS...when Can I see the car???
    Best regards,D;)

heres another off donedeal its the old 'gift to africa' s h i t e....reply's below

"I will want to know the recent condition of this item and its total amount.I 'm sending it to someone as a Gift in West Africa(Nigeria),via Royal Mail International Singed For,but unfortunately I'm not opportune to come get the item myself,so i will really appreciate and packaging of the items Abroad.I will want us to sincerely deal with each other through PayPal Online Auction,cause i believe its safe for both of us..I will love you to get back to me with all the answers and also PayPal money request oft he total amount plus p&p,so payment can be made asap and i can get back to you with the postage address..I await your quick response"

sorry, sold for cash... 100% pure grade legal tender ...this is how it works, guy rings me asks the condition of the item and the lowest offer that i will take...then he calls 'in person' in the flesh...I can literally touch him/her but not very appropriate given the situation...Then after having agreed the price we shake hands, indecently this is the only time we touch...if you would like I could take it to Nigeria for a small fee...but for my safety and yours we would have to go through paypal...if you send me the airline ticket fee through paypal I will ensure that it arrives in a timely manor...God knows I could use a holiday especially after the winter we had...looking forward to hearing from you again...maybe we could write occasionally and keep in touch, we seem to like paypal and i always feel it's good to have something in common with 'penpals'...
    all the very best...
    D

as.eirinn wrote: »
    ..my reply below

hi maeve, you gotta be ****ing kidding me...you give me the generic email spoof of 'my ****ing sister died' then expect me to go to a foreign country to get rolled for a non existent car...i hope you get what your sister got and do us all a favour and drop ****ing dead you cheeky ****....now **** off and stop wasting my time you dogs abortion!!!!

PS...when Can I see the car???
    Best regards,D;)
    Sorry, but you're just wasting your, Maeve's, and our time with that post. Imho, of course... :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Sorry, but you're just wasting your, Maeve's, and our time with that post. Imho, of course... :eek:

youve already censored it...so whats the problem?...thought this thread was supposed to warn people about scammers...and I might add to STAND UP to them...all of the language in my response was fully warranted as my reply would have been the same face to face....sorry if i hurt anyones 'feelings' but these people are scum...I wasnt having a go at anyone on the fourm so wheres the offence except to the wrongdoer which is what were talking about?....

Advertisement