Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

is this some kind of upcoming scam? http://www.carzone.ie/car-dealers/Dublin/International-Channel-Motors?channel=CARS&cacheBuster=1268163497140901

Been there poluting the classic cars for weeks! Nothing but Tiger Cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Bodhan wrote: »
    is this some kind of upcoming scam? http://www.carzone.ie/car-dealers/Dublin/International-Channel-Motors?channel=CARS&cacheBuster=1268163497140901

Been there poluting the classic cars for weeks! Nothing but Tiger Cats.

Sure would be but then again if you get through to 01-0000000 and offer to pay them money for an add that states TEST ADVERT at the top of every ad i think you deresve to be stung, TBH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Sure would be but then again if you get through to 01-0000000 and offer to pay them money for an add that states TEST ADVERT at the top of every ad i think you deresve to be stung, TBH

I would presume they had to be taking the piss:rolleyes::rolleyes: cause if they wernt as you say defo need to be well stung:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Heres one to avoid. Not a scam in the sense of it here but they are trying to **** you over.

Ive been calling about this and he was all grand telling me to bring a mechanic and that the car was genuine. then i asked him for the VIN and a number on the Vehicle Registration Certificate so I could check it with cartell.ie and he hasnt responed to me since. I made it very clear that if everything checked out I would buy so if he cant be bothered to get a sale there must be something very dodgy with it.

I ran the cartell check anyway and they have said there may be outstanding finance on it and they will have to check with the bank.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1118246

It doesnt mention that it is a TI on the report anywhere either which I think is a bit odd considering it has the wheels and interior of one. All the other checks i did on other cars that claimed to be TI said it on the reports.

And the report also shows that it was off the road/untaxed for at least 6 months between February 2006 and August 2007.

Avoid me thinks.

Update: Just got the finance report and this 156 is still on Finance. Avoid at all costs.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

as.eirinn wrote: »
    Here's one I got...my reply below

The price is 4400 euros
    Petrol 2/3 doors, manual transmission, black.
    Mileage : 63,500, NCT 12/2010, ABS Brakes, Airbags, Alloys, Car Alarm, CD / Radio, Colour Coded Bumpers, Electric Mirrors, Electric Windows, Front Fog Lamps, Full Service History, Immobiliser, Lady Owner, Leather Interior, Metallic Paint, Power Steering, Remote Central Locking, Sports Suspension, Sunroof
    Excellent Condition, the car was kept in a garage , it has Audi service book,the tires have been changed recently, and doesn't need repairings.It has no engine problem, no scratches.
    Registered in Ireland .The car is at the moment in Liverpool, UK.
    I live in the USA, I bought the car for my sister who lived in Ireland and then moved to UK. Unfortunately she died recently and I cannot take the car with me.
    You do not have to pay any taxes for this car. It is very easy to register it to your name .
    I have all the documents ready for sale. The car documents are on my name, so it is very simple.
    As payment I only accept cash and we will have to meet in Liverpool for the sale.

Thank you and I hope you will decide to buy my car.
    Here are some photos.

Many thanks,Maeve

replied...

hi maeve, you gotta be ****ing kidding me...you give me the generic email spoof of 'my ****ing sister died' then expect me to go to a foreign country to get rolled for a non existent car...i hope you get what your sister got and do us all a favour and drop ****ing dead you cheeky ****....now **** off and stop wasting my time you dogs abortion!!!!

PS...when Can I see the car???
    Best regards,D;)

Saw this on donedeal or carzone...not sure..was this the black A3?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

the same scam is on carzone and autotrader
    nice pictures of cars high spec and cheap price. lots of reasons you can't see car in person (mainly because there is no car just great photos and excuses).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just got this email:

Hello Seller, I just view your listing and i am interesting.I want to ask if it still available for sale?If yes,i will like to ask the following question about the car * Why are you selling the car? * Are there any needed repairs that you're aware of? * Has the car been in any accidents? * Has the car ever been flooded or declared a loss by an insurance company? * How many people have owned the car? * Where has the car been driven most- in-city, on the freeway, off road? Also the final cost for the car. Hope to hear from you as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Mc Love wrote: »
    Hello Seller, I just view your listing and i am interesting.
    Good to know that they're not boring. Also "freeway" seems like a very American term. I don't think I've ever heard anyone use that word here except when talking about driving in the US...

Wrote an interesting email back - just going to wait for it and post the reply ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 22,278 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just got this email:

Hello Seller, I just view your listing and i am interesting.I want to ask if it still available for sale?If yes,i will like to ask the following question about the car * Why are you selling the car? * Are there any needed repairs that you're aware of? * Has the car been in any accidents? * Has the car ever been flooded or declared a loss by an insurance company? * How many people have owned the car? * Where has the car been driven most- in-city, on the freeway, off road? Also the final cost for the car. Hope to hear from you as soon as possible.
    Good to see he's using that odd English which gives the game away (or should to any savvy person). As I said before, when they get perfect English, then it will be time to worry....

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

They have started to change their story though. Look at this response. Any suggestions on what to reply with??
    I am very sorry to informed you that,right now i am not in Ireland,this is due to the emergency call that i received from my company located in Qatar.I really interesting in buying this as the condition of the car been satisfied by me.I want the car to be ship to my son stay in Canada.He had spent 12 years in Australia and he had used to be driving right-hand car.I will arrange for the shipping agency company that will come for the pick-up and for the shipping to Canada after you had receive the payment.I will like to make the payment via Paypal International.This is because,it prevent both buyer and seller not to share their personal information to each other.I agreed with the cost due to the condition of the car.Kindly let me hear from you as soon as possible

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

They have started to change their story though. Look at this response. Any suggestions on what to reply with??
    Haha, that's completely ridiculous! Ship a right-hand drive car from Dublin to Canada? :P:D How much does that cost then...

I heard that Canadians tend to get rid of cars over 7-10 years old, often for nothing (or maybe a hundred quid). The notion that someone would pay for a second-hand car to be shipped from here to there is laughable :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lpryanm

Speedway wrote: »
    Lads not sure if this is a scam or not, just got it:

Name: Simon

Phone No:

Email Address : infordatabase@gmail.com

Ref/URL: http://www.autotrader.ie/search/Fiat/Grande-Punto/*RARE-ON/201003196598787/advert?channel=CARS

Comments:
    Hello,
    Do you still have your car for sale?
    Please get back to me with the asking price and the present condition of the car in order to make a deal.
    Regards.

I had a similar respose to a car I am selling..

first e-mail:
    Name: David Gravelle

Phone No:

Email Address : gregorydavidgravelle@ymail.com

Ref/URL: http://www.autotrader.ie/

Comments: Contact me by mail if your car is available.
    Thank you

Second e-mail after I responed:

Hi,
    I am Belgian, living in Baudour in the
    city of
    Saint-Ghislain. Currently I have been transferred to Abidjan for 8
    months so I am unable to come see your vehicle that's the reason why i
    need pictures. I would like to have your final price to contact my
    manager, so that he will submit me a payment method more reliable and
    secure.
    Yours
    David

SCAM...I basically told him where to go...

Another one from the buyandsell:

Message : Hello seller, I am interested in your vehicle and i am satisfied with the present condition of your car. I know a lot of people might have been contacting you to sell it to them. I will like to offer you the sum of $6,500,i will be much appreciate if you can sell it to me. I will be patiently waiting for your reply A.S.A.P. Thanks.

His telephone number is from California.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CarrieRo

Looking for a new car at the moment after my engine blew up last week and am weary from all the crap that is out there. Went to look at a 03 Audi A6 in Tipp last Friday, car was immaculate but the mileage didnt add up and the story why is too lengthy to get into it here. Car is advertised as an Irish car in the pic in carzone, but had an English plate when we went up to see it. That was the dealers mistake! Came away from the garage to think about it and ran a HPI check on the car. The current mileage is 83K and the mileage in England in 2006 was 96K....Went back to the dealer, needless to say he protested his innocence, but the other matter is that I reported this to carzone last Sunday with the details we had uncovered and the car is still for sale on the site??? The dealer isn't SIMI registered so I felt the only way of safeguarding the public is to get it withdrawn from the Carzone website. Surely they have a responsibility to withdraw an ad if it is shown to be false and also illegal. Ok they cant police all the cars on their website but if something is is flagged for them they should take action on it.

Ok I have just read some of the other posts and my experience is just the tip of the iceberg. I have also encountered guy in London selling a Cork registered x trail. Car currently in London and if you pay him 1,600 euro he will ship it over to you with no extra charge, you then inspect the car and if you like it send over another 1,600 euro for the balance...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

CarrieRo wrote: »
    Ok I have just read some of the other posts and my experience is just the tip of the iceberg. I have also encountered guy in London selling a Cork registered x trail. Car currently in London and if you pay him 1,600 euro he will ship it over to you with no extra charge, you then inspect the car and if you like it send over another 1,600 euro for the balance...:)

That's funny - I had a similar experience on DoneDeal.ie whereby an English based gent is trying to sell a Wexford registered Golf for an extremely low price. Can you PM on the name of this guy you are dealing with? Just in case it is defo a scam I'm dealing with...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That's funny - I had a similar experience on DoneDeal.ie whereby an English based gent is trying to sell a Wexford registered Golf for an extremely low price. Can you PM on the name of this guy you are dealing with? Just in case it is defo a scam I'm dealing with...
    Why bother. It more than likely is a scam.

The Guy in london with the X trail is Matt Chingo, but we can across someone selling an Dongegal reg A6 with the same story who was Andrew Eggers, There are just multiple names that they use I would say. Bought privately last week from a friend of a friend. Better off I think.

Sounds familar alright. My guy is Dirk Mesick. There is absolutely no reference to the guy's name on Google. Too eager also, emailed me 3 times in 2 days. Offered to drop the price. Too good to be true!

• Advertisement

phunkymonk wrote: »
    Hey all,

Ive seen a really nice car i want to get. Ive been in contact with the owner via email only at the minute.Hes eager to sell a golf with a very good price! The problem is he has moved to London the last few days so i didnt get to view the car, hes lookin for a quick sale (needs cash for rent of an apt) but im very concerned not viewin it before i get it. he says he will deliver it to me so obviously i would view it then before money is exchanged but dont want them travelin over here to then say no.

Can anyone offer me any advice on what documents I could ask him to scan to me to make sure its a genuine car? or what other information i would need? dont wanna get screwed further in this downturn!!!!

Appreciate any advice or experiences!
    Cheers.:cool:

Ha, this is exactly the story I got.

Stay well away, we were the same with the too eager to do business, just goes to show, If it looks too good to be true, it prob is. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭BnB

Celtxx wrote: »
    I was at a BBQ at the end of last summer and a friend of mine started telling me how his father was in the process of selling his Corolla worth 2.5K for 4K to a UK buyer. My scam sensors started tingling and I started to cringe as he described how the UK “buyer” had send them a draft for 8K and then said he had made a mistake in the amount and asked for the extra 4K to be wired back to him.

Unfortunately, I was too late with my warning as they had wired the money by Western Union a few days before. My friend just would not believe that they had been scammed as the 8K had shown up in their Bank account. I told him wait a few days for the bank to call him.

Anytime I ask him about it now he never tells me what happened so it’s a safe bet that they were caught for a lot of money!
    I had a similar(ish) experience myself.

My brother-in-law was selling a golf last year. We were having a chat and saying how he might have a bit of trouble selling it as things were bad at the time in the market. He piped up that he had actually sold it for a few hundred more than he was looking for it. My alarm bells went off straight away (from reading threads like this here).

Anyway, it was the usual story. He (the buyer) was in the UK. This was the exact spec of car that he was looking for (bog standard golf...!!!!) blah blah blah. He would send over a cheque to cover the cost of the car plus shipping.

No matter how much I talked to him, he would not believe me that it was a scam. No matter what I said, he was convinced the buyer was sound.
    I told him what would probably happen. How the buyer would send him a cheque and have some reason for him to send on some money from that cheque somewhere else (for shipping, or an overpayment etc). Anyway, I convinced him to promise me one thing. Don't send yer man either money or a car wthout talking to me again.

Anyway, he mailed me about a week later to tell me it had gone down as I had warned him. The "Buyer" had sent him the cheque in the post and asked him to wire on the cost of shipping to his shipping company. Luckily. at that stage, he finally believed me, when he saw the pattern emerging and didn't send any money.

The cheque did come in the post as promised and he lodged it for the craic. But of course the bank came back about a week later saying it had bounced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Hi I have my car advertised on a few websites and received this from someone interested??

Thanks for the prompt response.. i am willing to proceed with the
    transaction now and am buying the car as a birthday gift for my son
    and i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the
    nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are
    restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you
    an email regarding it. I really want the car to be a surprise gift for
    to my son so i wont let him know anything about the car until it gets
    delivered to him, i am sure he will be more than happy with the car. I
    insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account
    online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal
    account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give
    me your paypal email address and the price so i can make the payments
    asap for the car and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it is
    very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up, after you
    have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for
    registration with paypal so as to get the money transfer into your
    paypal account. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the car
    up after i have made the payments...

Is this a scam, and if it is how do they swindle you?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭coadyd

Google paypal.com and you will see the site has https:// not http

Well I reckon it looks very suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

It is indeed, I was selling my car few months back and got exact same message. I wrote back for a laugh but forget now what they wrote back.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I reckon there's been threads about this scam before. Try doing a search

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

100% SCAM!!!!!

They ABUSE the "Buyer Assurance Protection Policy".

Robbed from another forum:
    You should be aware of Paypal's "Buyer Assurance Protection Policy." Paypal's "Buyer Assurance Protection Policy" has become a haven for "Buyer chargeback fraud." With a quick search on google - you will find many seller's using paypal have become victim's to "Buyer Chargeback Fraud." So much so that there are numerous sites dedicated to exposing Paypal and Paypal frauds. So I would be alarmed if someone insist's on using only Paypal-especially in a situation such as yours, how many people would buy a used car without wanting to see it in person,ect. In 99% of the cases where a buyer files a "Buyer Chargeback Complaint" Paypal will side with the buyer and refund the money, WHY-- #1 PayPal makes it virtually impossible to qualify for its "Seller Protection Program. #2. PayPal itself admitted that it has "limited ability" to comply with their own Seller Protection Policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Okay, i replied cash only. lets see what happens!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Run away, run away, fleeeee

Advertisement