Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Hi I have my car advertised on a few websites and received this from someone interested??

Thanks for the prompt response.. i am willing to proceed with the
    transaction now and am buying the car as a birthday gift for my son
    and i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the
    nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are
    restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you
    an email regarding it. I really want the car to be a surprise gift for
    to my son so i wont let him know anything about the car until it gets
    delivered to him, i am sure he will be more than happy with the car. I
    insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account
    online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal
    account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give
    me your paypal email address and the price so i can make the payments
    asap for the car and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it is
    very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up, after you
    have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for
    registration with paypal so as to get the money transfer into your
    paypal account. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the car
    up after i have made the payments...

Is this a scam, and if it is how do they swindle you?
    thanks

Yep it's a scam, either that he is a half witt agreeing to buy a car without viewing or driving it first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

How many times do people need to start a new thread about this?

"I am at sea"

This is used in almost half the scams going.

Don't bother with it, just ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭pcardin

Exact this text is being used so many years already. Should send some new version of "how to scam using email" to Nigeria. Why Nigeria? I'm selling online for at least 5 years now and received a tonns of these. Text is always the same and scammer is always from Nigeria. Unfortunately! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Okay, i replied cash only. lets see what happens!!

They usual reply to that with them is:

" Ok I will send my agent over with a cheque that you can cash, once he agrees the car is what I want he will hand the cheque to you, on receiving the cheque I would like you to take the €8,000 payment for the car, the remaining amount you shall use to make arrangements & ship the car to me,after shipping costs you my keep the remaining sum from the €13,000"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Merging with the scam mega-thread.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I know its a scam but i just said id post it anyway. I emailed someone about a car advertised in a Limerick paper the other day and got this morning.
    Mileage : 38,708 M / 62,294 KM
    Year : 2005
    Doors : 5
    NCT Exipry : March 2011
    Transmission : Manual
    Colour : Grey Metallic
    Engine : 1.4 Petrol

Adjustable Steering Wheel, Air Conditioning, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, CD Player, Cruise Control, Driver Airbag, Electric Windows, Immobiliser, Multiple Airbags, Radio Cassette, Rear Head Rests, Remote Central Locking .

Thank you for your interest about my car .
    Excellent Condition, the car was kept in a garage , it has VW service book,the tires have been changed recently, and doesn't need repairings.It has no engine problem, no scratches.
    Irish Log Book , NCT and tax already paid .The car is at the moment in Liverpool, UK.
    I live in the USA, I bought the car for my brother who lived in Ireland and then moved to UK. Unfortunately he died recently and I cannot take the car with me.
    You do not have to pay any taxes for this car. It is very easy to register it to your name .I have all the documents ready for sale. The car documents are on my name, so it is very simple.
    As payment I only accept cash and we will have to meet in Liverpool for the sale.

Thank you and I hope you will decide to buy my car.

Regards,Kelly

I put it in the scam thread but just in case everyone doesnt look in there.
    Mileage : 38,708 M / 62,294 KM
    Year : 2005
    Doors : 5
    NCT Exipry : March 2011
    Transmission : Manual
    Colour : Grey Metallic
    Engine : 1.4 Petrol

Adjustable Steering Wheel, Air Conditioning, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, CD Player, Cruise Control, Driver Airbag, Electric Windows, Immobiliser, Multiple Airbags, Radio Cassette, Rear Head Rests, Remote Central Locking .

Thank you for your interest about my car .
    Excellent Condition, the car was kept in a garage , it has VW service book,the tires have been changed recently, and doesn't need repairings.It has no engine problem, no scratches.
    Irish Log Book , NCT and tax already paid .The car is at the moment in Liverpool, UK.
    I live in the USA, I bought the car for my brother who lived in Ireland and then moved to UK. Unfortunately he died recently and I cannot take the car with me.
    You do not have to pay any taxes for this car. It is very easy to register it to your name .I have all the documents ready for sale. The car documents are on my name, so it is very simple.
    As payment I only accept cash and we will have to meet in Liverpool for the sale.

Thank you and I hope you will decide to buy my car.

Regards,Kelly

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

100% scam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Scam - cant believe you have to even ask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I see Kelly is up to her old tricks again!

Ye theres a whole thread about this being a scam, they ask to meet in Liverpool but just to be sure you turn up they ask you to send your money to a western union office then scan in your receipt and send it to them, they print out your receipt collect your cash and another idiot is born!

Sorry, i knew it was a scam. I had a look in the scam thread but couldnt see it posted. Just wanted people who didnt know about it to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Melion wrote: »
    Sorry, i knew it was a scam. I had a look in the scam thread but couldnt see it posted. Just wanted people who didnt know about it to see it.

That's what the scam thread is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

It's actually disgusting that anyone could possibly fall for these...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    It's actually disgusting that anyone could possibly fall for these...
    C'mon now - you can see why we'd be regarded internationally as a fairly gullible nation considering what we "fell for" over the last few years and what we continue to fall for...
    No bank account, I won it on the gee-gees, twas just an oul whip-around...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

langdang wrote: »
    C'mon now - you can see why we'd be regarded internationally as a fairly gullible nation considering what we "fell for" over the last few years and what we continue to fall for...
    No bank account, I won it on the gee-gees, twas just an oul whip-around...

Nail on the head TBH :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

it doesnt need "repairings" though.....simples...

Berty wrote: »
    That's what the scam thread is for.

Yep, threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 minners

Guys my mate just enquired about this..... apparently the car is legit but is in Liverpool, irish reg etc. She said her brother died over there and she wants to sell the car. She cant take it as she just moved to the US.

http://www.hifreeads.ie/2005-volkswagen-golf-1-4-petrol-comfortline-3000-euro-19501.html

Was advertised in a galway paper too thats where we got the details originally.

Anyone heard of simillar stuff? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

minners wrote: »
    Guys my mate just enquired about this..... apparently the car is legit but is in Liverpool, irish reg etc. She said her brother died over there and she wants to sell the car. She cant take it as she just moved to the US.

http://www.hifreeads.ie/2005-volkswagen-golf-1-4-petrol-comfortline-3000-euro-19501.html

Was advertised in a galway paper too thats where we got the details originally.

Anyone heard of simillar stuff? :confused:

It reeks of scam.

Avoid. But please feel free to waste the scammers time by dropping a line and see will it bite

• Advertisement

Oh yeah for sure. My friend is emailing her and shes very quick to respond i have to say... Mentioned having to get cash for it so definately a dodge one I'd say. Dont like the way it welcomes people to look at the history, looks like they have all angles covered!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

If you can't go see the car and they are not willing to bring it to you walk away.

It might be a cliche but if a deal looks too good to be true...

Base price for a bottom range 2005 Gold is nearly 7000. A quick sale is 6000.

3000 is a scam

You know the vehicle check thats linked there, would that be legit and everything but maybe just a case of stolen identity....as in the car is being sold by a random person unknown to the owner??

minners wrote: »
    You know the vehicle check thats linked there, would that be legit and everything but maybe just a case of stolen identity....as in the car is being sold by a random person unknown to the owner??

Most likely, the scammer has taken the details from a legit advert. One of the members here was selling his car a while ago, and some scammer used his photos to put up a scam advert of his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Not your typical scam, but it's not 100% legit either.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1307663

That car has at best 172/173 bhp. It's a standard S, and no K&N air filter is going to magicaly give you 210 bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The JCW version has 210 Bhp, I have one. That car is a standard S, standard exhaust, and all he has is an air filter. The standard engine for that year is 170 Bhp, a K&N is only going to give marginal improvements. A smaller supercharger pulley might give anything up to 190, but not 210.

The JCW kit gives you a whole new cylinder head, larger supercharger, larger injectors, larger air intake with a computer controller flap, exhaust system and a remap.

After being a sales manager for MINI for 7 years, and winning the product knowledge competition held by MINI between dealerships time after time, I know these cars inside out. There's no way that car has 210Bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

That car has at best 172/173 bhp. It's a standard S, and no K&N air filter is going to magicaly give you 210 bhp.
    Oh yeah? What if he adds bucket seats and lowers the suspension? Everyone knows that DOUBLES the power. :)

18k for a 4 year old mini?

Also deserves to go into the "Dreamer of the year" thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Advertisement