Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ecoangel

No we did test drive it around the estate and all seemed well...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Sorry to hear of your VERY expensive lesson.

You might be better off stripping the car for parts rather than trying to fix it up as Im sure it will get expensive to get it 99% right

And yes it is a civil matter, If you can prove that he is a dealer, even a part-time one, with print-outs from done-deal of other cars, you can bring him to a small claims court.

A lesson to all:

Always do a car history check
    Always bring a mechanic
    Always buy from the sellers home (ask to use their toilet to prove that they live there)
    Always go for a 15 minute test drive over all sorts of roads

Have you still got Marius's mobile number?

Yes I still have his mobile number...

What is the mobile number?

(It is already in the public domain when he advertised the car)

Do you also have the link for the car?

• Advertisement

If he is an illegal dealer, he is covering his path well.

Out of curiosity I tried to ring him (with my number blocked), its turned off and voicemail not set up.

That number is probably a PAYG SIM card he bought the day before he advertised it.

Marius is probably not even his real name !!

Did you get the VLC Cert?

Yes agreed he has his path well covered. most prob dumped SIM that evening or the next day.
    I was also thinking that he may not have used his own name, but the guy at the used car dealers I mentioned before had said he had heard of customers of his complaining that they had bought a car from a Marius in Carlow too....

He got me to sign the Vehicle Reg Cert on the day, but i never had a look at the name of the previous registered owner!!!!!...As I said before we did everything wrong!!!:confused::mad::(

Actually,

After a bit of googleing:

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=carlow+marius+site:.donedeal.ie&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

A seller called Marius in Carlow has/had a few cars for sale!

Car #1: Ford Ka

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1374073

Full?id=3286164

It looks just like the housing estate you bought the passat!

Google's cache has the phone number on this Ka as 0863661174;)

Its even in the driveway of a house that can be found with a visit to the estate

Car #2: Opel corsa

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:KXCCIoIY1QoJ:cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1346903+carlow+marius+site:.donedeal.ie&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

Full?id=3182837

Phone: Marius on 0863661174

Car #3 Skoda Felicia

(NO piture)

But from Google cache:

97 SKODA FELICA 1,3GLXI COMBI for sale in Carlow: €400 - DoneDeal.ie
    26 Feb 2010 ... for sale in Carlow: 97 SKODA FELICA 1,3GLXI,ALLOYS,87000MLS,NCT04-10. ... Send an email to MARIUS;

Again MARIUS is on 0863661174 ...

www.cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1179075

Car #4 Ford Fiesta

(No pic)

03 FORD FIESTA for sale in Carlow: €3500 - DoneDeal.ie
    2 Dec 2009 ... for sale in Carlow: 03 FORD FIESTA,BLACK,FULL SERVISE,ALLOYS,CLAN CAR,77000KM,NCT ... Send an email to MARIUS;

Call MARIUS on 0863661174 ...
    cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1075492

Car #5: Toyota celica (Background looks very different to where you bought that car)

Phone: 0863019191 / 0863409667

So Probably NOT the same Marius

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:aQ7HxKEvK08J:cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1371347+carlow+marius+car+site:.donedeal.ie&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

So with these print-outs, go to the small claims-court as he is a dealer and you have buyers rights!!

WOW thank you!!:)
    You should go into business for yourself as an investigator of some kind....
    I will follow this up, My god, Thanks again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

mullingar wrote: »
    And yes it is a civil matter, If you can prove that he is a dealer, even a part-time one, with print-outs from done-deal of other cars, you can bring him to a small claims court.

A lesson to all:

Always do a car history check
    Always bring a mechanic
    Always buy from the sellers home (ask to use their toilet to prove that they live there)
    Always go for a 15 minute test drive over all sorts of roads
    Well done lads, hope the situation is resolved happily (for ecoangel, probably not for the fraudster who took your money :)).
    Good advice from mullingar as well - when I sold my car last year, a couple came and took it for a test drive for at least 45 minutes!! And that was only few hundred quid. If you're spending over a grand on a car, it's absolutely worth your time to take it for a thorough, long test drive, maybe to a petrol station down the road where you can check out under the bonnet, look for rust and other damage without feeling embarrassed because the owner is watching.

• Advertisement

Good advice,

Thanks so much for all your help, we are on the case, won't be bitten like that again I can tell you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Few more for your case on gumtree and donedeal:

97 vw caddy

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/36/59366136.html

01 Opel Astra

http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/cars/1362402

Hope you nail this guy. If obvious he is a dealer of sorts (not registered). Hopefully you can put this forward in court.

Few more for your case on gumtree and donedeal:

97 vw caddy

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/36/59366136.html

01 Opel Astra

http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/cars/1362402

Hope you nail this guy. If obvious he is a dealer of sorts (not registered). Hopefully you can put this forward in court.

I forgot about those 2 sites!

OK, From Donedeal.co.uk

Full?id=3242709

01 OPEL ASTRA 1,4 for sale in Carlow: €1550 - DoneDeal.ie
    6 Jun 2010 ... for sale in Carlow: 01 OPEL ASTRA 1,4 ELECTRIC WINDOWS AND MIRRORS,CD,83000MLS,NCT

cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/cars/1362402

02 MERCEDES-BENZ E320 CDI for sale in Carlow: €4500 - DoneDeal.ie
    9 Apr 2010 ... for sale in Carlow: 02 MERCEDES-BENZ E320 CDI,METALLIC PAINT,130000MLS,CRUISE CONTROL ... Send an email to MARIUS;
    cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/cars/1252846

Full?id=2820635

02 OPEL ASTRA VAN 1,7TDI for sale in Carlow: €1750 - DoneDeal.ie
    for sale in Carlow: 02 OPEL ASTRA VAN 1,7TDI,ALLOY WHEELS,SECURITY SCREEN BACK AND FRONT,85000MLS ... Send an email to MARIUS; Call MARIUS on 0863661174 ...

cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/cars/1203950

00 SEAT TOLEDO 1,6 for sale in Carlow: €950 - DoneDeal.ie
    for sale in Carlow: 00 SEAT TOLEDO 1,6 ELECTRIC WINDOWS AND MIRRORS,14000MLS. ... Send an email to MARIUS; Call MARIUS on 0863661174 ...

cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/cars/1204091

98 FORD GALAXY 1,9TDI GHIA MODEL for sale in Carlow: €2100 ...
    Send an email to MARIUS; Call MARIUS on 0863661174. .
    cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1150713

00 VW POLO 1LITER for sale in Carlow: €1750 - DoneDeal.ie
    Send an email to MARIUS; Call MARIUS on 0863661174.
    www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1203868

From Gumtree

w caddy97' for sale 1,9 l. diesel .doe for 1 year,tax till 09-10. full service done.very good and clean car,ceap insurance,
    call any time 087-2785059 marius

New phone number here, probably another PAYG SIM card

He has a busy little side line here,

Maybe a call to the revenue????

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Maybe a call to the revenue????

Yep definitely they would be interested i say. Im presuming that all of these cars were sold in the last month or so??. I think he sells more cars than my local dealers:D

I would say these cars were sold in the last 6-12 months.

If I was ecoangel, this is what I would do, get in touch with the Gardai in Tullow to assist in getting his surname from the address all those pics were taken from, explaining that you want to take him to court over this civil matter and you dont have his full name.

Go to the small claims court (Its exactly like Judge Judy:D:D), Judges HATE people who try to scam money from innocent.

Show the judge, for the court record, that he has sold all these cars so he is a dealer and to request that the revenue to follow up on Marius to chase unpaid taxes!!!:D:D.

I would say these cars were sold in the last 6-12 months.

If I was ecoangel, this is what I would do, get in touch with the Gardai in Tullow to assist in getting his surname from the address all those pics were taken from, explaining that you want to take him to court over this civil matter and you dont have his full name.

Go to the small claims court (Its exactly like Judge Judy:D:D), Judges HATE people who try to scam money from innocent.

Show the judge, for the court record, that he has sold all these cars so he is a dealer and to request that the revenue to follow up on Marius to chase unpaid taxes!!!:D:D.
    I did contact them with the phone numbers on the ads you referred me to and they have his full name and his correct addresss now but reckon that they cannot give us that info and we will need a solicitor to request it for us.
    The small claims procedure says you need the full name to lodge a claim.
    The estate featured in the pics he took is where we were last week driving around in that bloody car!!:mad:
    Many of the ads you have given me links to have now since been removed from donedeal funnily enough?!:confused:
    I will keep you posted :)

Who said they have the info? The guards?

If so, did u explain why u needed the name/address?

Can u request to have the details sent to the court clerk?

That's odd, what he has done seems like fraud to me, and I think fraud is a criminal offense.

It certainly seems like this guy is putting lipstick on badly damaged goods and passing them off as in good condition (I note in the Mercedes E320 ad that the front left wing is a slightly darker, shinier colour - perhaps another crashed car).

Would this come under the remit of the Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation, especially given that this Marius apparently has a large number of cars for sale? If he ripped you off, he'll be ripping others off!

I'd be inclined to contact the GBFI directly (http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=29 01-6663766) and explain the situation, pointing out that his discontinued the throwaway phone number he used to defraud you, that the car was described as being in good condition and then turned out to practically need a new engine, and also that the large number of similar ads with his name and phone number are an indication that he's doing this on a large scale?
    Surely they will be interested in preventing him from doing the same to (many) others.

And if they're not interested... I certainly would talk to a solicitor and look to make the culprit pay (+costs, damages, legal fees etc) for ripping you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Bit of an odd one

Same car, same pictures,

two different sellers and two different parts of the country

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1109315

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1393830

Bit of an odd one

Same car, same pictures,

Also http://www.boop.co.uk/main.asp?Action=Call&page=lookup3&Search=1000039884&dtable=Cars with a different angle pic (from the Waterford seller), and with 4k less miles claimed... very strange...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Bit of an odd one

Same car, same pictures,

Nothing odd

One add is 39 days old,the other is 3 days old.
    One guy obviously bought it,put 4000 miles on it and is now selling it.
    He's just using the pics the original seller used ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Delta_Raven1

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1448688

is this a bit too good to be true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

ryan91 wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1448688

is this a bit too good to be true?

Ad is removed now

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

Hi guys,
    Can I get some advice please?
    I'm struggling to find a car, I'm finishing my job in 2 weeks..(losing the company car, but its my choice to go back to college). Anyway I've been on all the sites and I was just gonna pick up s peogout (cheap tax and isurance) Anyway, I was on carzone, and saw one that was a decent price so I rang the seller. He wasn't very chatty, kinda one word answers. But I couldn't gauge whether it was a dublin accent or a foregin accent. (don't mean I can't understand dublin accents, he just didn't say enough) I rang his voicemail and he stays silent on it, I can just hear an indicatot of a car

I asked him where in dublin he was, he said swords. I asked if it was possible to meet in the red cow, as Im driving from Limerick and its easy for me to get to the red cow. He said...ahhhh its too far, I said "are you serious?" He said, since your coming from Limerick I will. He said he'd call me back. No call back

All jokes aside, if you were selling your car, would you be willing to go a bit to meet the person? I've never bought a car 2nd hand before so I haven't a clue.

I took a mechanic to see a ford focus this morning, we drove it for a bit and he had a look under the hood. Said the car was Boll...X'd. It seems nobody can be trusted.. Im a bit down about it actually.

Oh god, I forgot about Meteor call catcher.

smilerxxx wrote: »
    I took a mechanic to see a ford focus this morning, we drove it for a bit and he had a look under the hood. Said the car was Boll...X'd. It seems nobody can be trusted.. Im a bit down about it actually.
    You did the right thing bringing a mechanic with you. I don't know any mechanics that would go with me to look at a car :(

But there are good cars out there - you just have to keep on your toes and be careful. Always check out the reg plates online, too.

Thanks for the reply:)

He's looking for me aswell so at least thats something, I ran a check on that site mywheels.ie on the peogout(i can never spell the thing) It came back all good, but for all I know some dude just took all the details from some poor girls car.

I've been to all the dealers in 3 counties, and I swear to god the lies is unreal! All I want is a bit of honesty and i can overlook a lot of things, (small scratches, little bit high in mileage if timing belt is done) I asked the mechanic what questions I should be asking and he just lifted the hood, but to be honest, my eyes glaze over filling it with petrol.!!!!

In your opinion would you pay a dealer bigger money just to be safe?

Am I screwed being a girl on her own? Mechanic is great but im losing trust in him too since he tried to sell me his mr's car (told me at 9am it had 100k miles, and at 10.30 i'm almost certian he said 30k. Not 100% but got a funny feeling something was a miss. AAARRRGGGGHHHHH

My male mates....recommended a civic...jog on
    My dad....kicks wheels
    No brothers.....

In your opinion would you pay a dealer bigger money just to be safe?
    Maybe, if you can get a decent deal out of them. I remember hearing a while back that the private market was a lot cheaper than going through dealers, but maybe they've improved since then. Last year my sister got a 2000 Yaris auto for €3,200 from a dealership, then I got a 2000 Micra auto for €2000 from a private seller. Seemed like she paid a bit much, and they only gave her a 3 month warranty (should be a year AFAIK).
    So it's not a guaranteed safe bet going through a dealer either.

When looking for cars I go through some of the car sites (adverts.ie, Carzone, maybe Gumtree, etc) and pick out a few that fit the bill, then figure out what the rough price range should be from the examples that are available.
    Then if you do go through a dealer you should be able to knock them down to a realistic price.
    Am I screwed being a girl on her own? Mechanic is great but im losing trust in him too since he tried to sell me his mr's car (told me at 9am it had 100k miles, and at 10.30 i'm almost certian he said 30k. Not 100% but got a funny feeling something was a miss. AAARRRGGGGHHHHH

My male mates....recommended a civic...jog on
    My dad....kicks wheels
    No brothers.....
    If you do a little research into the basics of how cars work and what to look for when buying them (lots of good videos on the topic on Youtube!), you'll probably know more than most people about cars. Including your Civic-recommending mates :D

Also it may be an advantage being a woman, since dodgy sellers might be less careful about what lies they tell you, so you can catch them out with some background knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,277 ✭✭✭✭Esel

@smilerxxx: You really would be better starting a new thread about your search for a car.

This is the Scam thread, and I think you would get more/better advice in a separate thread. No reflection on zynaps, btw. Peace out. :)

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

If your buying a 2nd hand car make sure it has just been NCT'd for 1 or 2 years.

Make sure he has the Reg book aswell, and make sure when your buying it that he signs it.

Also isn't there a site for 2nd hand buyers, were you enter the reg plate number and it will tell you anything that is wrong with the car, i.e if its stolen, un road worthy etc.?

Advertisement