Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

zynaps wrote: »
    Maybe, if you can get a decent deal out of them. I remember hearing a while back that the private market was a lot cheaper than going through dealers, but maybe they've improved since then. Last year my sister got a 2000 Yaris auto for €3,200 from a dealership, then I got a 2000 Micra auto for €2000 from a private seller. Seemed like she paid a bit much, and they only gave her a 3 month warranty (should be a year AFAIK).
    So it's not a guaranteed safe bet going through a dealer either.
    Eh? They are two totally different cars! Dealer warranty does not have to be a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Mak_United wrote: »
    Also isn't there a site for 2nd hand buyers, were you enter the reg plate number and it will tell you anything that is wrong with the car, i.e if its stolen, un road worthy etc.?
    Yes, mywheels is the only one I know of, but you have to pay for each check (used to be free).
    Eh? They are two totally different cars! Dealer warranty does not have to be a year.
    Sure they're different cars, but I don't think they should have been that far apart in price.
    Also I didn't say dealer warranties had to be a year, figured 6 months or a year would be normal but I guess not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

Hi guys,

Sorry for hijacking the scams,(won't happen again sir;)) just wanted to say I got a 02 fiesta for 2k, off me mammy.. she got a 05 fiesta for 4k, (pure and utter luck) thanks for ye're help xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭Esel

smilerxxx wrote: »
    ....(won't happen again sir;)) ...
    Hey, I'm just a regular user here! :D

Glad you got sorted with a known car. Safe driving! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

This guy is some kind of lithuanian cause Marius does not sound irish at all to me.

Few months back i was looking for a car went through a number of ads, and i must say that HUGE amount of sellers on for example gumtree.ie are lithuanians. I don't really know why there's so much of them but there must be a reason for this.

All I know is, they are not affraid of doing anything against the law with cars, and when i say anything i really mean it. How do i know that? This is the case for most cars imported from germany to central europe countries ( like Poland or Czech Republic). I've been living in both countries for a while and it's almost a nightmare to buy a used car over there. Old bangers welded into one vehicle, painted and "priced to sell" as you say here.

Suprisingly, central europe coutries don't give a f**ck about it - as long as they get their share from imported vehicle tax ( irish VRT).

It's great to see someone doing something about it here as this goes on for ages now across central europe and apparently this trend is about to enter this lovely country too.

Will try to help if i have something. I've seen few dodgy ads on gumtree but I was immedietaly reporting those to admins for prompt removal.

btw.: I think "Marius" already knows about this thread as the ads are being removed quite quickly as you post them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 cjb_ie

I bought a lovely Suzuki Cappuccino from a dealer here in Cork back in April with a fresh NCT (the day I bought it) which as it turned out shouldn't have been issued to it...

I took the car in to my local garage (not the dealer) to have the fluids changed a few weeks later, the lads put it up on the ramp, and phoned me straight away: "you might want to come and look at this before you put any money into it".

What was wrong with it? Only a crazy amount of rust holes in the floorpan and sills, big enough to put a hand through...

The dealer was very, very reluctant to refund me, but eventually (last week) he did.

Pics and (very brief) story at http://cjb.ie/cappuccino/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

^^^^^Bloody hell!^^^^^^

How did that pass NCT and my van failed on a ripped seat.

I have looked at a couple of cars from same dealer......Thanks for the heads up!

Leadership wrote: »
    How did that pass NCT

I'd love to get to the bottom of that myself!
    Leadership wrote: »
    I have looked at a couple of cars from same dealer......Thanks for the heads up!

You're welcome! I definitely wouldn't buy another car from the guy, no matter how good it looked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Fair play cjb, good to have a heads up.

oh come on, everyone have their price - even the nct fellas :P

• Advertisement

cjb_ie wrote: »
    I bought a lovely Suzuki Cappuccino from a dealer here in Cork back in April with a fresh NCT (the day I bought it) which as it turned out shouldn't have been issued to it...
    Are you going to follow up on the NCT side? It's disturbing that my car failed because I didn't overtighten the battery tray when putting it back, but this thing passed with fist-sized rust holes in the floor! :eek:

zynaps wrote: »
    Are you going to follow up on the NCT side?

Let's just say I'm working on it ;)

i wouldnt worry about this site, its probably new to the market and thats why it is still very basic

in contacts there is only one person and hes from russia so all we can do i guess is wish him good luck in his new business ;]

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

Never heard of it and given that it only has 50 cars on it I'd be inclined to move on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The domain is registered to "V A N Autos Limited" who are based in Naas. Probably not so much as a scam, as yet another unnecessary car classifieds site.

That's no reason not to check it out though

08 not taxed since 08 sounds pretty suss. Does the price seem "too good to be true"? If so, there's probably a reason.

winster wrote: »
    I did a history check on it and it said it hasn't been taxed since the 31st of december 08 and its an 08 car so thats what set alarm bells ringing. Said it hasn't been written off or stolen. Why else would a car not be taxed for a year and a half other than crashed?
    Could it have been a finance repossession that ended up sitting in a warehouse for a year? Maybe that sort of thing happens. The history check probably would have told that though.

The check you did, did that include checking whether there was any outstanding finance on the car?

If the price is too good to be true, there's probably something wrong with it - whether it's physical (crashed, cut'n'shut or whatever) or legal/financial (in a nutshell, it's not the seller's to sell).

OR it could just be a repo priced to sell. Don't be afraid to ask the seller "why is it so cheap?" - remember, it's their job to convince you that buying their wares is a good proposition. In the current market, they should feel privileged to sell to you, not the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 car car

Nope just had an awful dealing with them about 8 months ago. <snip>. As did one of my neighbours!

• Advertisement

car car wrote: »
    Nope just had an awful dealing with them about 8 months ago. <snip>. As did one of my neighbours!

This is what I said in one of the other 4 threads you posted in with the same message:
    car car, your 4 identical posts have all been deleted. Do not sign up here just to post crap like that please. If you've any experience of a garage, then keep it absolutely factual.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭volvilla

went to look at a 2008 car on friday for 5k.... (normally the 05's trade for this value so i was happy with the so called bargain) only 19k km too!!!

"owner" was eastern european got a bad vibe initially but didnt let that put me off... test drove the car... IT WAS PERFECT>>>

Did a check on mywheels.ie (no finance) also with revenue (he was the owner)

Called to arrange purchase today... via bank draft... he said cash only as he didnt have a bank account.

Scam!!!!????? almost definately.... he is either selling the car in a friends name and will abscond with the cash leaving his friend to report a stolen vehicle or else there is something badly wrong with the car as it hadnt been taxed since Feb of this year (and is only 2 years old)

What are ur thoughts on this??? Is it common???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If the mechanic says there are no issues with the car, if mywheels say there's no flags with regard to the car if the VRO say he's the owner of the car, it sounds like you've done all your due dilligence to me!

I'm not sure what to say about the cash aspect, but nothing else suggests this is a scam.

Did I misunderstand anything there?

Did you see the registration cert? How many owners? How long since the last change of ownership?

...and verify with VRO that the cert you saw is the current one, not reported as lost so he could get ownership changed but still hang on to the old cert.

...and verify that the guy selling the car is really the guy whose name is on the cert. Ask to see some photo ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

went to look at a 2008 car on friday for 5k.... (normally the 05's trade for this value so i was happy with the so called bargain) only 19k km too!!!

"owner" was eastern european got a bad vibe initially but didnt let that put me off... test drove the car... IT WAS PERFECT>>>

Did a check on mywheels.ie (no finance) also with revenue (he was the owner)

Called to arrange purchase today... via bank draft... he said cash only as he didnt have a bank account.

Scam!!!!????? almost definately.... he is either selling the car in a friends name and will abscond with the cash leaving his friend to report a stolen vehicle or else there is something badly wrong with the car as it hadnt been taxed since Feb of this year (and is only 2 years old)

What are ur thoughts on this??? Is it common???

Ask to see his passport, and if the name on the passport matches the name on the taxbook, you should be good to go. Also draft a "bill of sale", like a contract, and get him to sign it.

2cv wrote: »
    Ask to see his passport, and if the name on the passport matches the name on the taxbook, you should be good to go. Also draft a "bill of sale", like a contract, and get him to sign it.

Yes, examining his passport had crossed my mind. But he said he couldnt accept a bank draft as he didnt have a bank account (which I thought was very strange!?)

Yes, he is the second owner. Car was bought in feb 08 and he bought it in feb 09.

So you guys think that bringing €5,000 cash to him is normal? in the event that he wont accept a draft in his name??

Thanks for the help...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

Yes, examining his passport had crossed my mind. But he said he couldnt accept a bank draft as he didnt have a bank account (which I thought was very strange!?)

Yes, he is the second owner. Car was bought in feb 08 and he bought it in feb 09.

So you guys think that bringing €5,000 cash to him is normal? in the event that he wont accept a draft in his name??

Thanks for the help...

Well, ask him for a copy of his passport and a signature on a bill of sale. Once you have that in your hands, i see no issue ;)

I will call him shortly and see if he is willing to provide passport and sign etc...

deal could be back on :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

Good advice there from cjb. If you'd like to PM me the certificate number, I'll cross reference it with the Motorcheck database to check its validity.

Also - did you check the VIN number on the car against the logbook? Ignore the one at the bottom of the windscreen (too easy to fake) need to get it off the actual chassis.

Feel free to PM me the reg and the VIN if you have it.

Always a good idea to take a picture of the seller standing next to the car if you can. If he doesn't want to stand in - you'll know there's a problem!

• Advertisement

Might be no harm to get an actual vehicle inspection done as well, just in case it's been crashed and badly repaired or anything like that (which might explain it being idle and untaxed for a while...?)

I recently got an AA inspection done on a car I'm thinking of buying; it wasn't cheap, but the inspection was incredibly thorough (took four hours and literally covered the car inch by inch), and I'm glad I got it done.

If an inspection does find something that's not too serious, you may be able to use that to get the price down, and make back some of the cost of the inspection that way.

There are other bodies that do inspections too - names like Motorcheck and Cartell come to mind, though I've no personal experience of their services.

Advertisement