Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭volvilla

cheers guys,

MC, I've sent u a pm

another concern that I've failed to mention is that in the advery the full reg was blocked out of the photos. I know the guy works in a garage as he said it but also has garage insurance apparently. So that could explain the repair work or even how it got into his hands.....

Some might think im been too synical but it is a potentially 'first car' so really dont want any regrets...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cjb_ie

Let's see...

We have a guy who works in a garage, has a car to sell cheap with surprisingly low mileage, bought it at a year old, never taxed it since, and wants to sell it for cash.

AWOOGA AWOOGA

If he hasn't driven it, despite being covered by garage insurance - then that sounds like it was off the road to have some serious work done to it. My guess is it's crashed; I'd be very wary indeed. Get a mechanic you trust to give it a really good look over before you commit to buying.

I wouldn't worry too much about the reg being edited out of the photos, though - if he's genuine, he may just be worried some dodgy dealer out there will clone the car. But if he's up to no good, he may be worried someone will recognise the number...

True, huge trade off was involved between bargain/scam

Being scammed outweighs imo. thats why i sought opinions from you guys

Know a guard and I am probably going to get a full check on the car... presumably if it was crashed, that will show up there.

Then again, if it was a single vehicle collision there may not have been the need to have it reported to the gardai

Ok problem solved....

It appears to be a certain scam... Having googled the name/number on the advert a whole host of other adverts appeared, with photos of crashed/damaged cars in a crash repairs yard. (not surprisingly the car I was interested in was in a similar yard, WITHOUR crashed cars in the background)

So now I can happily resume the car hunt, happy out that I havent been scammed into buying a previously crashed, 'new' car from an eastern european trying to make a quick buck...

Thanks for all your help! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

Most welcome :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

It appears to be a certain scam... Having googled the name/number on the advert a whole host of other adverts appeared, with photos of crashed/damaged cars in a crash repairs yard. (not surprisingly the car I was interested in was in a similar yard, WITHOUR crashed cars in the background)
    A wise move, always a good idea to search for other adverts by the seller! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 08coupe

Hi guys, found this on carzone recently:

'08 Hyundai Coupe, 2.7L, 9000 miles, €11000, private sale

I've ran a full check on motorcheck.ie. It hasn't been taxed since the end of 2008 (was only ever taxed for its first 6 months of life). It's history states that it's not crashed/stolen/financed. All in all, it's data seems to check out ok.

...but something doesn't quite feel right about it. If it's in as good condition as it looks, the asking price is significantly lower than market value (even if you add on the price of tax [€1164] ,full service, technical inspection).

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cjb_ie

Just because there's no crash recorded doesn't mean it hasn't been crashed!

Not much demand for 2.7 litre cars in the current climate... that might be depressing the price a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

What's the reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 08coupe

Hi MotorCheck,

Reg is 08W2361. The report I got said the odometer reading showed a discrepancy, but I assumed that was because it's not exactly 9000 as stated in the ad. It was also put up for auction in march.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 dublee

just saw this http://www.adverts.ie/279055/cars/mitsubishi-evo-9-breaking/

he also joined up on imoc.org to try scam some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 db91

Hi i am currently selling my fiance's car on Carzone, i have been getting a few emails which seem all to strange, i am well aware of all scams out there and very much follow the policy of if its too good to be true than it usually is,
    anyhow here is a couple of examples that i got sent just to make other people out there aware of fraudsters.
    I got this one from P.L. Whyte

1.""Hi,
    Your price is moderate comparing it to others.
    I wont be able to come and view the car myself and make payment on
    spot because i am not available at the moment, I'm on a business trip
    seminar but willing to transact business with you on phone so we could
    speedy this so you wont sell it off to other interested buyers.

Mode of payment will be Irish bank draft, It only clears in seconds.
    You don't have to wait for a whole day. As soon as you receive
    payment, I will be available by then, I would come to your address for
    the picking up and also signing of any sale of agreement. The car is
    purchased for a friend in Ireland. I am located in London.

I will be needing your Full Details:

Full Name... Your Full Name on the draft
    Address.. To post the draft
    Phone Number:.. To call you for update

I will call you asap when I get your details to explain further.

Thanks for your understanding,

and this one from John Bowell

""With regard....I am interested in puchasing your following item forsale...so i will like to know the the last price.and kindly get back to me with the pics and the present condition of the item..my method of payment will be via cashier check or Bankers Draft. Do get back to me with all the following details before i can make an offer". I will also be responsible for the shipping of the item from you location to my destination..
    Awaiting your quick response.
    Regards.
    John Bowell.

There ya go people
    DB

• Registered Users Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭Esel

dublee wrote: »
    just saw this http://www.adverts.ie/279055/cars/mitsubishi-evo-9-breaking/

he also joined up on imoc.org to try scam some people.
    Why do you think this is a scam?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

db91 wrote: »
    Hi i am currently selling my fiance's car on Carzone, i have been getting a few emails which seem all to strange, i am well aware of all scams out there and very much follow the policy of if its too good to be true than it usually is,
    anyhow here is a couple of examples that i got sent just to make other people out there aware of fraudsters.
    I got this one from P.L. Whyte

1.""Hi,
    Your price is moderate comparing it to others.
    I wont be able to come and view the car myself and make payment on
    spot because i am not available at the moment, I'm on a business trip
    seminar but willing to transact business with you on phone so we could
    speedy this so you wont sell it off to other interested buyers.

Mode of payment will be Irish bank draft, It only clears in seconds.
    You don't have to wait for a whole day. As soon as you receive
    payment, I will be available by then, I would come to your address for
    the picking up and also signing of any sale of agreement. The car is
    purchased for a friend in Ireland. I am located in London.

I will be needing your Full Details:

Full Name... Your Full Name on the draft
    Address.. To post the draft
    Phone Number:.. To call you for update

I will call you asap when I get your details to explain further.

Thanks for your understanding,

and this one from John Bowell

""With regard....I am interested in puchasing your following item forsale...so i will like to know the the last price.and kindly get back to me with the pics and the present condition of the item..my method of payment will be via cashier check or Bankers Draft. Do get back to me with all the following details before i can make an offer". I will also be responsible for the shipping of the item from you location to my destination..
    Awaiting your quick response.
    Regards.
    John Bowell.

There ya go people
    DB

the drafts will be fake or will be larger than the amount you want for the car where they will ask for the difference to be returned to them in cash when they collect the car.

5 days later the drafts bounce and you are debited the full amount of the draft which now leave you in debit to the value of the difference between your asking price and the draft value.

the drafts will be fake or will be larger than the amount you want for the car where they will ask for the difference to be returned to them in cash when they collect the car.

5 days later the drafts bounce and you are debited the full amount of the draft which now leave you in debit to the value of the difference between your asking price and the draft value.
    You are nowhere near getting a cigar here!

They will ask you to refund the difference via Western Union.

No-one will ever appear to collect the car.

Btw, db91 said he knew these were scan e-mails.

Not your ornery onager

The reason i said i knew these were scam emails because they are too good to be true and i'm in the line of work where i hear about them all the time, im no expert or anything but i work with people who deal with these a lot, i.e people getting ripped off. So im aware of some of the scams out there, however they are getting more clever and devious every time.
    The thing is i have sold a car or two privately over the years and all genuine buyers ring me to talk and usually want to come see the car or whatever which usually involves me goin to their house or vice versa, i only encountered first hand this problem as a result of putting it on carzone and the emails came flooding in,.i replied to them btw and was a bit sarcastic. when one fella asked me to ship the car to him i just said "yeah thats no prob just give me your address and ill send it over". funnily enough i never heard anything back, im not afraid of these jerks however ignoring them is probably the best policy.

Oh Esel i forgot to answer your question, the link you sent of the EVO well firstly the picture is in a Car park !! that could be any ones car, i could walk up to any car on the street like that take a photo then advertise it for sale. some poor joe hands over a draft and then surprise surprise the car doesnt exist.. anyhow €1 for a car i dont think so..

and i know Limerick like the back of my hand and that area in the background is not limerick !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

he says himself its a sample photo, and he's selling various parts on one ad so the price isnt what he's looking for.

Oh Esel i forgot to answer your question, the link you sent of the EVO well firstly the picture is in a Car park !! that could be any ones car, i could walk up to any car on the street like that take a photo then advertise it for sale. some poor joe hands over a draft and then surprise surprise the car doesnt exist.. anyhow €1 for a car i dont think so..
    My question was to dublee (post #1097), not to you. I am still puzzled as to why dublee considers that ad to be a scam.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

esel wrote: »
    You are nowhere near getting a cigar here!

They will ask you to refund the difference via Western Union.

No-one will ever appear to collect the car.

Btw, db91 said he knew these were scan e-mails.

well its changing soon

i sold a car early this year and everything was going good and he turned up with a draft exceeding the amount. wanted me to cash it there and then and repay the difference. i told him where to go.

while I know the scam your on about its developing

well its changing soon

i sold a car early this year and everything was going good and he turned up with a draft exceeding the amount. wanted me to cash it there and then and repay the difference. i told him where to go.

while I know the scam your on about its developing
    Thanks for that. Interesting development! I hope someone in this situation has the presence of mind to shop them immediately.

Not your ornery onager

Hi i just got this one yesterday and thought id share it with ye.. This Guy must think i'm really stupid..Here it is

"Hello,
    Thanks for the details and information .It seems you are a sincere person. I want to inform you that i will buy your car at your given price, but I need your assistance in this business proposal.

I am a captain with the United Nations troop in Iraq, on war against terrorism in Iraq based on the United States legislative and executive decision for withdrawing troops from Iraq come next year, I have been deployed to come and work in your country's military base soonest. Our mission is to help beef up terrorist targeted states, mostly the United States and the European Union on the war against terrorism.
    On the other hand I want to inform you that I have in my possession the sum of 16.2 million USD. Which I got from crude oil deal here in Iraq. And I have deposited this found with a Red Cross agent, so that I can looking for who I can entrust this fund into his care, now I want to invest the money in your country as soon as I am deployed into your country for a good business, you will advice me on that since I am not a business person. I cannot move this money along with me because I am uniformed person and i will be in Europe for about 6years, so I need someone I could trust. If you accept, I will move the money to Europe where you will be the beneficiary because I am a uniformed person and I cannot be parading such an amount so I need to present someone as the beneficiary.

I am an American and an intelligence officer for that so I have a 100% authentic means of moving the money through diplomatic courier service .I just need your acceptance. Please if you are interested in this transaction I will give to you the complete details you need for us to carry out this transaction successfully. I decided to find someone that is real and not imaginary and that is why I went to secure a car site where I can be sure that the person is real.

I believe I can trust you. Where we are now we can only communicate through our military communication facilities which are secured so nobody can monitor our emails, then I can explain in details to you. I will only reach you through email if you are interested please send me your personal mobile number so I can call you for further enquiries when I am out of our military network. I am writing from a fresh email account so if you are not interested do not reply to this email and please delete this message from your mail box.

I wait for your contact details so we can go on. In less than 7days the money should have move to you and I will come over for my money. I will give to you 30% of the sum and 70% is for me. I hope I am been fair on this deal. Get back to me with your full information:

YOUR FULL NAME.........
    YOUR FULL ADDRESS....................
    YOUR DIRECT TELEPHONE NUMBER.........

Regards,

Mark More

Gave me a chuckle anyway! :D Tell Mark you will need 50%, because you will have to pay off some local warlords. He'll understand.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

Hi i just got this one yesterday and thought id share it with ye.. This Guy must think i'm really stupid..Here it is

"Hello,
    Thanks for the details and information .It seems you are a sincere person. I want to inform you that i will buy your car at your given price, but I need your assistance in this business proposal.

I am a captain with the United Nations troop in Iraq, on war against terrorism in Iraq based on the United States legislative and executive decision for withdrawing troops from Iraq come next year, I have been deployed to come and work in your country's military base soonest. Our mission is to help beef up terrorist targeted states, mostly the United States and the European Union on the war against terrorism.
    On the other hand I want to inform you that I have in my possession the sum of 16.2 million USD. Which I got from crude oil deal here in Iraq. And I have deposited this found with a Red Cross agent, so that I can looking for who I can entrust this fund into his care, now I want to invest the money in your country as soon as I am deployed into your country for a good business, you will advice me on that since I am not a business person. I cannot move this money along with me because I am uniformed person and i will be in Europe for about 6years, so I need someone I could trust. If you accept, I will move the money to Europe where you will be the beneficiary because I am a uniformed person and I cannot be parading such an amount so I need to present someone as the beneficiary.

I am an American and an intelligence officer for that so I have a 100% authentic means of moving the money through diplomatic courier service .I just need your acceptance. Please if you are interested in this transaction I will give to you the complete details you need for us to carry out this transaction successfully. I decided to find someone that is real and not imaginary and that is why I went to secure a car site where I can be sure that the person is real.

I believe I can trust you. Where we are now we can only communicate through our military communication facilities which are secured so nobody can monitor our emails, then I can explain in details to you. I will only reach you through email if you are interested please send me your personal mobile number so I can call you for further enquiries when I am out of our military network. I am writing from a fresh email account so if you are not interested do not reply to this email and please delete this message from your mail box.

I wait for your contact details so we can go on. In less than 7days the money should have move to you and I will come over for my money. I will give to you 30% of the sum and 70% is for me. I hope I am been fair on this deal. Get back to me with your full information:

YOUR FULL NAME.........
    YOUR FULL ADDRESS....................
    YOUR DIRECT TELEPHONE NUMBER.........

Regards,

Mark More

he is some greedy fcuker he seems to have forgotten all about his poor family and very sick younger sister since he became wealthy

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

on war against terrorism in Iraq

Could be George W. Bush:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Too good to be true. Not even worth wasting your time phoning about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I'd say thats a scam at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

£3,500 for a 08 Galaxy.. :D

Come on, are people still blinded by extremely cheap priced cars?

BTW, the catch besides the ridiculously cheap price is usually the phone number is fake so they also supply an email address. Scammers prefer to conduct all communication via email.

Advertisement