Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

I was just wondering what the scam is :) just seriously, they go to all that trouble for an email address.............

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They usually tell you some BS story that the car is currently in some other country (other than where it supposed to be) due to them working there or belonging to their recently deceased relative. So they will ask you to pay some fake shipping company via Western Union a fee to have the car delivered to you, you then pay the purchase price of the car upon inspection. The car never arrives and they have taken your shipping fee money and you never hear from them again. The pictures are probably just stolen from a genuine advert.

These scams go on the time especially on carzone, there is a sticky thread on it here btw. The first sign is that the car is ridiculously cheaper than similar cars of that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Some nice floods in uk in 08. I know a guy that bought a cheap 08 vectra, having loads of problems, mechanic has found grey mud in unusual places, like in steering rack/cv boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thread merged with the scam thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Castletown

Sorry for intrusion, I need help. I just bought a second hand car from Righrt Price Cars , Old Airport Rd, I am having some problems. I know notice that 2 posts have been written on boards complainig about this dealer, but it is not possible to follow the thread as it is deemed invalid, I really want to know if there is a history with this dealer. I am now very worried. Any advise or any thread to deal with this???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

do you reckon that this is a scam or dodgy?? seems very cheap

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1542447

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

fryup wrote: »
    do you reckon that this is a scam or dodgy?? seems very cheap

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1542447
    They have provided an Irish mobile number making it less likely that its a scam.
    A google of that number found this... so I'd say its probably genuine.

It is fairly cheap compared to others on carzone but maybe the seller is being realistic and wants to sell it!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭buttonsflyie

Firstly sorry if this have been covered here already, 51 pages is too much to read through after the day I have had.
    However if it has, I will be sorry I didn’t read them all before to day J
    My mother’s car was due a service today, she booked it in. She arrived before 8am this morning, I followed her there, we pulled up, she got out of her car and approached the building, a guy came out of the door, asked her was she dropping her car off for service, she replied yes, he told her he would take the keys and the details, she explained to him the few bits in addition to the service and he told her he would get xxxxx to ring her, (this is the girl in the office). He went back in and she hopped into my car and off we went it was 7.55am. She rang at 9.30 cause xxxxx hadn’t rang her, to be told her car wasn’t there for service.

The scam, posing as a mechanic or employee of the garage, duping you into handing over your keys and legging it with your car.

So be warned, I know it could be a female thing to do, hand over your car keys, but as the door was opened and he was there we thought nothing off it.

This was a main dealer’s garage in Dublin.

He was caught on CCTV, I ID’ed him in the station this afternoon, but he is well know to the Gardai and has started pulling this stunt on the west side of Dublin with the higher end garages.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ That's definitely a new one for this thread!

Thanks for posting, and hope the scumbag is caught! Keep us posted.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

Hey folks!

Thought you might wanna see this so here we go.

Recently i've put my car on sale, it's a 2001 volvo s80. Nothing special to be honest, liked it because of the comfort and kinda like automatic gearbox - it's good for the traffic.

Anyway, I advertised the sale on carzone.ie and autotrader. I also marked the option with paper version of the ad, just to increase my chances. I paid 60 euros for this service.

After two days i've recieved 5 responses from buyers, including one phone call from genuine buyer from cork, and 4 emails from random people.

Those 4 random people turned out to be one badass scammer who was doing his best to convince me that he's a US army officer and our communication is SECRET (yawn!).

His address is captpatricklenz@gmail.com and name of course Patrick Lenz. I also recieved same email from Mark More moremark63@yahoo.com.

Read on!

======================================================

Hello,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I want to inform you that i will buy your car for your last price but I have a business proposal for you. I am a captain with the United Nations troop in Iraq, on war against terrorism. Based on the United States legislative and executive decision for withdrawing troops from Iraq come this year, I have been deployed to come and work in your country's military base soonest. Our mission is to help beef up terrorist targeted states, mostly the United states and the European Union on the war against terrorism. I will need a car for myself and that is why i contact you. On the other hand i want to inform you that I have in my possession the sum of 10.2million USD. which was recovered from one of our raids on terrorists here in Iraq because they keep most of their money at home for evil activities which they normally get through illegal deals on crude oil.

Based on the suffering we undergo here some of us do meet such luck. It happened that i went for this raid with the men in my unit and i decided to take it as my share for my stress here in this evil land filled with suicide bombers. I deposited this money with a red cross agent informing him that we are making contact for the real owner of the money. It is under my power to approve whoever comes forth for this money. I wish to use this money for charity purposes in Turkey, where we have about 3 million Iraqi refugees and Sudan where we have currently the highest numbers of refugees displaced as a result of war. You need to visit such places. I want to invest the money on stock fish from Norway to this refugees because base on my experience on battle ground in this places, they lack a lot of fish and meat to add to their meager and unpalatable meals which they get in little quantity just to keep them living until God knows when the problem ends. Instead of allowing this terrorists to get the money and spend it on purchasing arms illegally from Russia and North Korea it is better channeled to saving the world.

I cannot move this money to the United states because i will be in Europe for about 3years,so i need someone i could deal with. If you accept, I will transfer the money to Europe where you will be the beneficiary because i am a uniformed person and i cannot be parading such an amount so i need to present someone as the beneficiary. I am an American and an intelligence officer at that so i have a 100% authentic means of transferring the money through diplomatic courier service .I just need your acceptance and all is done.

Please if you are interested in this transaction i will give to you the complete details you need for us to carry out this transaction successfully. I decided to find someone that is real and not imaginary and that is why i went to a secured car site where i can be sure that the person is real. I believe i can trust you. where we are now we can only communicate through our military communication facilities which is secured so nobody can monitor our emails, then i can explain in details to you. I will only reach you through email, because our calls might be monitored, I just have to be sure whom i am dealing with. If you are interested please send me your personal mobile number so i can call you for further inquiries when i am out of our military network. I am writing from a fresh email account so if you are not interested do not reply to this email and please delete this message, if no response after 3days i will then search for someone else. I am doing this on trust, you should understand and you should know that as a trained military expert i will always play safe in case you are the bad type, but i pray you are not.10.2million USD is a lot of money which is the dream of anyone.

I wait for your contact details so we can go on. In less than 7days the money should have been noted on your account and i will come over for my money. I will give to you 30% of the sum and 70% is for my dream. I hope i am been fair on this deal.

========================================================

My God, apparently this lad has plenty of time to write these long emails!

I wouldn't bother.

ah, sorry

should've read the thread first :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

voojeq wrote: »
    Hey folks!

Thought you might wanna see this so here we go.

Recently i've put my car on sale, it's a 2001 volvo s80. Nothing special to be honest, liked it because of the comfort and kinda like automatic gearbox - it's good for the traffic.

Anyway, I advertised the sale on carzone.ie and autotrader. I also marked the option with paper version of the ad, just to increase my chances. I paid 60 euros for this service.

After two days i've recieved 5 responses from buyers, including one phone call from genuine buyer from cork, and 4 emails from random people.

Those 4 random people turned out to be one badass scammer who was doing his best to convince me that he's a US army officer and our communication is SECRET (yawn!).

His address is captpatricklenz@gmail.com and name of course Patrick Lenz. I also recieved same email from Mark More moremark63@yahoo.com.

Read on!

======================================================

Hello,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I want to inform you that i will buy your car for your last price but I have a business proposal for you. I am a captain with the United Nations troop in Iraq, on war against terrorism. Based on the United States legislative and executive decision for withdrawing troops from Iraq come this year, I have been deployed to come and work in your country's military base soonest. Our mission is to help beef up terrorist targeted states, mostly the United states and the European Union on the war against terrorism. I will need a car for myself and that is why i contact you. On the other hand i want to inform you that I have in my possession the sum of 10.2million USD. which was recovered from one of our raids on terrorists here in Iraq because they keep most of their money at home for evil activities which they normally get through illegal deals on crude oil.

Based on the suffering we undergo here some of us do meet such luck. It happened that i went for this raid with the men in my unit and i decided to take it as my share for my stress here in this evil land filled with suicide bombers. I deposited this money with a red cross agent informing him that we are making contact for the real owner of the money. It is under my power to approve whoever comes forth for this money. I wish to use this money for charity purposes in Turkey, where we have about 3 million Iraqi refugees and Sudan where we have currently the highest numbers of refugees displaced as a result of war. You need to visit such places. I want to invest the money on stock fish from Norway to this refugees because base on my experience on battle ground in this places, they lack a lot of fish and meat to add to their meager and unpalatable meals which they get in little quantity just to keep them living until God knows when the problem ends. Instead of allowing this terrorists to get the money and spend it on purchasing arms illegally from Russia and North Korea it is better channeled to saving the world.

========================================================

My God, apparently this lad has plenty of time to write these long emails!

I wouldn't bother.

Just got an enquiry from the same arse, captpatricklenz11@gmail.com.

still selling my volvo

still getting scam emails - it's so sad, so far only one person turned out to be a genuine buyer, what's wrong with this country

i did not provide any details in my ad and this person mentions my last name

read on

HELLO ,

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY AND I WANT TO INFORM YOU THAT I WILL TAKE THE
    vehicle AT THE PRICE LISTED BUT I HAVE A PAYMENT PROPOSAL FOR OUR
    BENEFIT THAT I WILL PAY FROM.

SECONDLY BECAUSE OF THE NATURE OF WORK I WILL NOT BE AROUND FOR
    INSPECTION FOR NOW.

MY NAME IS BARRISTER MUHAMMED AHMED. I AM A LEGAL PRACTITIONER WITH K
    C LEE & CO. LAW FIRM IN KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA. I SAW YOUR CONTACT
    AND PROFILE AND I DECIDED THAT YOU COULD COOPERATE WITH ME IN THIS
    PROPOSITION. I HAVE A CLIENT WHO WAS DECEASED IN MARCH 12 2004, IN
    KUALA LUMPUR HOSPITAL, MALAYSIA. I AM CONTACTING YOU BECAUSE YOU HAVE
    THE SAME LAST NAME AS MY DECEASED CLIENT AND I FELT THAT YOU COULD
    HELP ME IN THE DISTRIBUTION OF FUND THAT WERE LEFT IN MY DECEASED
    CLIENT'S BANK ACCOUNT. THIS FUND IS CLOSED TO BE DECLARED
    UN-SERVICEABLE BY THE BANK AS THERE WERE NO INDICATED NEXT OF KIN OR
    NEXT OF BENEFICIARY OF THE FUND IN THE BANK ACCOUNT.

THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF CASH IN THE BANK ACCOUNT OF MY DECEASED CLIENT IS
    US$4.7 MILLION (FOUR MILLION, SEVEN HUNDRED THOUSAND US$). THE BANK
    HAD ISSUED TO ME A NOTIFICATION TO CONTACT THE NEXT OF KIN OF MY
    DECEASED CLIENT FOR EITHER TO RE ACTIVATE THE ACCOUNT OR TO MAKE CLAIM
    OF BENEFICIARY, OF THE FUNDING IN THE BANK ACCOUNT, WITH A MONTH
    SURCHARGE OF 6% TO BE DEDUCTED AS AN ESCROW SAFE KEEPING FEE OF THE
    BANK ACCOUNT, SO AS TO AVOID To MY PROPOSITION TO YOU IS TO SEEK YOUR
    CONSENT, AND TO PRESENT YOUR KIND SELF AS THE NEXT-OF-KIN AND
    BENEFICIARY OF MY DECEASED CLIENT, SINCE YOU HAVE THE SAME LAST NAME
    WITH HIM. THIS MEANS THAT THE PROCEEDS OF HIS BANK ACCOUNT WOULD BE
    PAID TO YOU AS HIS NEXT OF KIN OR THE LEGITIMATE BENEFICIARY. WHEN
    THE PROCEEDS IN HIS BANK ACCOUNT ARE PAID TO YOU, WE WOULD SHARE THE
    PROCEEDS ON A MUTUALLY AGREED-UPON PERCENTAGE OF 50% TO ME AND 45% TO
    YOUR KIND SELF AND 5% FOR EXPENSES.

ALL THE LEGAL DOCUMENTS TO BACK UP YOUR CLAIM AS MY CLIENT'S
    NEXT-OF-KIN WOULD BE PROVIDED BY ME. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING I WOULD
    NEED IS YOUR HONEST COOPERATION TO IN THIS PROPOSITION. THIS WOULD BE
    DONE UNDER A LEGITIMATE ARRANGEMENT THAT WOULD PROTECT YOU FROM ANY
    BREACH OF THE LAW.

IF THIS BUSINESS PROPOSITION OFFENDS YOUR MORAL AND ETHIC VALUES, DO
    ACCEPT MY SINCERE APOLOGY. PLEASE CONTACT ME AT ONCE IF YOU INTERESTED
    BY REPLYING THE MAIL AND IGNORE IT IF YOU ARE NOT.

BEST REGARDS,

BARRISTER MUHAMMED AHMED ESQ

eh...so lame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

AND I WANT TO INFORM YOU THAT I WILL TAKE THE
    vehicle AT THE PRICE LISTED

TAKE THAT vehicle WILLYA :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭buttonsflyie

Received this email today dont know if its the correct place to post or should it get a Thread on its own.

Scary times.

Buttons

This is currently in circulation by the Gardai….

BEWARE - Garda warning when driving.!!

"While driving on a rural end of the roadway on Thursday morning, I saw an infant car seat on the side of the road with a blanket draped over it. For whatever reason, I did not stop, even though I had all kinds of thoughts running through my head. But when I got to my destination, I called the gardai and they were going to check it out. But, this is what the gardai advised even before they went out there to check....
    "

"There are several things to be aware of ... gangs and thieves are now plotting different ways to get a person (mostly women)to stop their vehicle and get out of the car.

"There is a gang initiation reported by the local gardai where gangs are placing a car seat by the road...with a fake baby in it...waiting for a woman, of course, to stop and check on the abandoned baby.

"Note that the location of this car seat is usually beside a wooded or grassy (field) area and the person -- woman -- will be dragged into the woods, beaten and raped, and usually left for dead. If it's a man, they're usually beaten and robbed and maybe left for dead, too.

DO NOT STOP FOR ANY REASON!!! DIAL 999 AND REPORT WHAT YOU SAW, BUT DON'T EVEN SLOW DOWN.

"IF YOU ARE DRIVING AT NIGHT AND EGGS ARE THROWN AT YOUR WINDSCREEN, DO NOT STOP TO CHECK THE CAR, DO NOT OPERATE THE WIPER AND DO NOT SPRAY ANY WATER BECAUSE EGGS MIXED
    WITH WATER BECOME MILKY AND BLOCK YOUR VISION UP TO 92.5%, AND YOU ARE THEN FORCED TO STOP BESIDE THE ROAD AND BECOME A VICTIM OF THESE CRIMINALS.

THIS IS A NEW TECHNIQUE USED BY GANGS, SO PLEASE INFORM YOUR FRIENDS AND RELATIVES.

THESE ARE DESPERATE TIMES AND THESE ARE UNSAVOURY INDIVIDUALS WHO WILL TAKE DESPERATE MEASURES TO GET WHAT THEY WANT."

Please talk to your loved ones about this. This is a new tactic used. Please be safe.

Get started NOW -- SEND THIS MESSAGE TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND LOVED ONES TO BE CAREFUL AND AWARE OF EVERYTHING AROUND THEM SO AS NOT TO BECOME A VICTIM.

This is currently in circulation by the Gardai…....
    "While driving on a rural end of the roadway on Thursday morning, I saw an infant car seat on the side of the road with a blanket draped over it. For whatever reason, I did not stop, even though I had all kinds of thoughts running through my head.
    It's not in circulation by the Gardaí - it's just an email hoax that's been circulating for about a year, originating in the USA with a few words changed (police -> Gardaí).

See http://www.snopes.com/crime/gangs/carseat.asp and be wary of dramatic fearmongering emails ;)

Worth it for the tip on the eggs, anyway. Instinctive reaction would be to hit the wash/wipe.....

Jebus - imagine you're driving a car with heated windscreen and heated washer fluid? Ah well, at least you could have breakfact when you stopped! :D

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Worth it for the tip on the eggs, anyway. Instinctive reaction would be to hit the wash/wipe.....

Jebus - imagine you're driving a car with heated windscreen and heated washer fluid? Ah well, at least you could have breakfact when you stopped! :D
    Now that's looking on the positive side ;)

But I think the suggestion not to use your wipers is bad advice... in fact a quick google turned up this:
    My experiments suggest that, while throwing eggs at a glass windshield would certainly make a significant mess, immediate use of the vehicle's wipers and screen washers would likely remove enough of the egg to allow the driver to continue without pulling over straight away. To test the scenario, I pelted two eggs at the driver's side of my vehicle's windshield and then immediately activated the windshield wiper and washer. I found that virtually all of the egg residue was rapidly removed from the area of the screen covered by the wiper blade. In fact, there was no significant blockage of my vision, even before the bulk of the egg residue was removed by the wiper blades.

The message states that the driver's vision will be obscured by "up to 92.5%". However, given the large range of variables that could impact on the outcome of a windshield egg attack, quoting such a precise figure seems rather absurd.

I'd suggest that leaving the eggs smeared on your windscreen due to bad advice from a hoax email would be more dangerous :D

zynaps wrote: »
    I'd suggest that leaving the eggs smeared on your windscreen due to bad advice from a hoax email would be more dangerous biggrin.gif
    You know, that's a very good point! We really should experiment to prove/disprove this. I've got the eggs. How are your wipers? :eek: :)

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

still getting scam emails - it's so sad, so far only one person turned out to be a genuine buyer, what's wrong with this country

this country:confused: emails are international mate:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Another email from a potential buyer from my Carzone listing, reeks of BS:

Comments: "With regard....I am interested in puchasing your following item forsale...so i will like to know the the last price.and kindly get back to me with the pics and the present condition of the item..my method of payment will be via cashier check or Bankers Draft. Do get back to me with all the following details before i can make an offer". I will also be responsible for the shipping of the item from you location to my destination..
    Awaiting your quick response.
    Regards.
    **** Packwell.

Reads like pure BS.

fryup wrote: »
    this country:confused: emails are international mate:cool:

well i didn't actually wanted to say this country... its the fact that MOST buyers that have contacted me were scammers and i was a bit annoyed at that time because of this

ireland is a great place to be but i've been selling cars in other countries and never had that scam volume before

Another email from a potential buyer from my Carzone listing, reeks of BS:

Comments: "With regard....I am interested in puchasing your following item forsale...so i will like to know the the last price.and kindly get back to me with the pics and the present condition of the item..my method of payment will be via cashier check or Bankers Draft. Do get back to me with all the following details before i can make an offer". I will also be responsible for the shipping of the item from you location to my destination..
    Awaiting your quick response.
    Regards.
    **** Packwell.

Reads like pure BS.

would be easier if he had Kana installed - it's the best tool for email templates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 brian23

is it me or is the rsa a rip off recently applied to do my truck test the cost is a rip off 38 for learner permit 70 each for two cpc exams 110 euro for test then i found out today that i for got to apply for the cpc practical test done the same day as your driving test which cost another 32 euro ******* RIP OFF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

brian23 wrote: »
    is it me or is the rsa a rip off recently applied to do my truck test the cost is a rip off 38 for learner permit 70 each for two cpc exams 110 euro for test then i found out today that i for got to apply for the cpc practical test done the same day as your driving test which cost another 32 euro ******* RIP OFF
    I dont think it qualifies as a scam ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 brian23

i take it your joking:confused:

brian23 wrote: »
    i take it your joking:confused:
    It's more of a rip off than an illegal scam.

A friend has been looking at a car in Dublin listed by a private seller who said he was selling the car for his sister-in-law (!). It's a 2003 car with some 50,000 miles on it, so we tried to check it out on Motorcheck which seemed to take our money and promptly tell us that the information had been viewed too many times (??).

I googled the seller's mobile number and found about 8 or 10 cars for sale recently, which is a bit suspicious for a private seller. (Are they all his sister-in-law's cars too? ;))

Any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

zynaps wrote: »
    ...we tried to check it out on Motorcheck which seemed to take our money and promptly tell us that the information had been viewed too many times (??).

Motorcheck is an active poster here, you could PM them and see if there's something behind this or if they could help.

Advertisement