Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

Hi everyone, hope you can help me here as it's a strange situation.

I recently out my car up for sale on carzone and got an email from a woman in France who was interested in it. She says that she's moving here for work and her company is giving her money for a car. She won't be able to pay fully until 30th September when her company will release the money, but is willing to pay a deposit of €1000 (on a listed price of €10000).

I was unsure about this as it sounds very fishy. I know I would never put a deposit down on a car without seeing it first. So I said that I'll reserve it for her provided she pays the 1000 deposit through paypal and the final balance be paid by an Irish bank draft.
    To my surprise she said this was fine, I thought she'd want to pay by bank wire or western union. She's also asked that I scan my logbook for her and send it on.

So what do ye think of this? If she pays by paypal she can't get access to my bank details and I won't have to pay any admin fee (I specified that she pay any fees for paypal)
    So what do you think I should do? Go ahead and scan my logbook, take th deposit and reserve it for her? Or tell her to take a hike?

Cheers,

John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'd have no problem taking a deposit from that person and holding the car (for a set period, with an explicit provision that the deposit will not be refunded under any circumstances).

I don't know what she'd do with your logbook, but I'd potentially redact some of the information (last 6 digits of the chassis number and other stuff) as you don't want it used for cloning a car.

The main alarm bells for me in all these scams are two simple things:
    -People are willing to buy the car sight-unseen
    -People are willing to buy the car for the advertised price without negotiation

No regular punter buys a normal car like that, alarm bells should be ringing if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

nachos wrote: »
    Hi everyone, hope you can help me here as it's a strange situation.

I recently out my car up for sale on carzone and got an email from a woman in France who was interested in it. She says that she's moving here for work and her company is giving her money for a car. She won't be able to pay fully until 30th September when her company will release the money, but is willing to pay a deposit of €1000 (on a listed price of €10000).

I was unsure about this as it sounds very fishy. I know I would never put a deposit down on a car without seeing it first. So I said that I'll reserve it for her provided she pays the 1000 deposit through paypal and the final balance be paid by an Irish bank draft.
    To my surprise she said this was fine, I thought she'd want to pay by bank wire or western union. She's also asked that I scan my logbook for her and send it on.

So what do ye think of this? If she pays by paypal she can't get access to my bank details and I won't have to pay any admin fee (I specified that she pay any fees for paypal)
    So what do you think I should do? Go ahead and scan my logbook, take th deposit and reserve it for her? Or tell her to take a hike?

Cheers,

John.

Thread carefully!

Tell her that you dont want to email a scanned copy of the cert as there is far too many scam artists about, say that you will post a photocopy to her postal address in France to prove her French residency

Watch out for any payment via Paypal. The paypal buyers protection scam could sting you!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

Thanks for the advice, will definitely take in onboard.

She has asked what if I could bring it down to 9500 and I did. She was also asking has it finance.
    She says she needs the logbook so that she can show to her company so they release the money and so she can get insurance.

Could you tell me what the paypal buyers protection scam is?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sarahmc92

Hi,
    thought I'd post on here a recent lucky escape I had.
    Looked up Autotrader.ie for an Audi A4 Avant and found one in Armagh with pics of a lovely car. Mailed the seller and he rang back within 5 minutes. He was quite pushy about me buying it but I said I'd do a cartell check first.
    Did the check with the reg in the photos and it said a previous reg had finance outstanding on it.
    So rang the seller and he said that was the wrong reg and gave me the correct one. Checked that and there's finance outstanding on it with Bank of Scotland for a couple of thousand.
    So if you're smart enough to check here first you'll save yourself €70.
    Regs I checked connected with this car are - IHZ2444 and YLZ3654. Black Audi A4 Avant S Line selling for around £8000 but very quick to come down in price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

How come you used the wrong reg first? I wouldn't run away because of outstanding finance. If you got proof that it was clear before buying the car that should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sarahmc92

Motorcheck wrote: »
    How come you used the wrong reg first? I wouldn't run away because of outstanding finance. If you got proof that it was clear before buying the car that should be fine.

He seems to have put up pictures of another car on Autotrader first. The next day the ad was not on Autotrader so he must have taken it down.

When the bank told me there was another £2000 at least owed on this car and they were going to repossess it I did run a mile!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

If it was a genuinely good car with FSH etc, it would be no harm contacting the bank to ask could you pay the balance on the finance if you were to buy it. In the current climate they would probably take your arm too!

I'd then offer the seller much smaller money for a quick sale as he will loose a lot more if it is repossessed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Mods,

I was contacted through Boards by user POLL offering to buy a car from me

Just to let you know its all a scam, over paying with a cheque, I refund the difference etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Mods,

I was contacted through Boards by user POLL offering to buy a car from me

Just to let you know its all a scam, over paying with a cheque, I refund the difference etc etc...

Can you forward me the PM? We'll have him banned immediately.

@everyone - this isn't the way cars are sold on boards and unsolicited PMs aren't acceptable. Please report the PM or make one of us aware of any PMs like this (whether scam or unsolicited) so we can deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

User poll was sitebanned the other day for scamming.

Remember folks, if you receive an unsolicited PM, please report it and let the mods/admins deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ken2010

pure scam

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

So sad day for me, the number of scam enquirers has just surpassed genuine interest.

This just arrived in my email.

Hello,
    Thanks for informing me that your item is still available for sale.Well,i want to believe it's in a working condition and i will like to know your last asking price and to inform you that my mode of payment for this item is to send you a check payment which will be issued out to you as soon as possible.
    Dear seller,i need to inform you that i have a shipper that will handle the pick-up of the item at your location to mine in Chelsea,London.UK.Well, i need to inform you that the amount that will be issued on the cheque payment that will be sent to you will cover the cost of the item with the shipping charges.So,as soon as you receive the cheque payment ,take it to your bank for deposit and i have also confirmed the duration of days which it takes for the clearance of cheque payment and the bank here in Chelsea informed that it will take between 2-3 working days for you to get it cashed,after cashing the cheque i will inform you on what to what to do with the remaining money which is meant for my shipping agency for the pick-up of the item at your location and for the pick-up fee..
    I will be glad if you accept this and please get back to me with your details below..
    1)NAME ON THE CHEQUE PAYMENT..
    2) HOME ADDRESS...
    3)POSTAL CODE
    4)LAST ASKING PRICE..
    5)MOBILE TELEPHONE
    6)LAND LINE TELEPHONE..
    I will be waiting to receive the details above from you now..
    Thanks a lot and make sure you keep me informed always..(+44 702 405 8581)
    Thanks..
    Bryan(+44 702 405 8581)

feel free to drop him an email at bolrosemyinc@rocketmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 momma3

Im selling my car. Had mail from guy who wants to buy for his son. he claims he is away on work at moment but son would love it for birthday present so he will pay through paypal now and get someone to collect car????

Please someone tell me this is not a scam..... is paypal safe?? will it cost me to get my money? Does he not need to sign for new car as in reg book?

Here is part of his reply when i asked for more details and contact adress...(LOL)

'i am at sea at the moment as i am a currently at an industry exhibition engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it.and i have a pick up agent that will come and pick the goods up after i have made the payments so i will like you to send me your PayPal email id for payment now...'

Too good to be true????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

momma3 wrote: »

Too good to be true????

I'd only accept payment in the form of a cheque from the Bank of Nigeria.

It would be safer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's a scam momma3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 momma3

haaaa!! not funny now but oh yes in deed SCAM!!!

Found this article- word for word except he said it was for his sons birthday.

My response was 'Im Irish,not stupid!'

God is there any real buyers out there anymore?

heres article:
    .ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P{padding:0px;}.ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}Sound familiar.....
    'I am ready to buy it now for my uncle just for a gift ,and i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I will be offering you the total amount of $12000 and I really want it tobe a surprise for my uncle so i wont let him know anythingabout it until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be more thanhappy with it. I insisted on pay pal because i don't have access to my bankaccount online as i don't have internet banking pay pal is very safe theyprotect the buyer and the seller, but i can pay from my pay pal account, asi have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your pay palemail address and the price so i can make the payments asap for it and plsif you don't have pay pal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go towww.paypal.com , its easy to set up, just few mins instant registrationonline,, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mailaddress you use for registration with the pay pal email account so as totransfer the fund in to your pay pal email account I have a pick up agentthat will come and pick it up after i have made the payments...Will belooking forward to your mail.Thanks'

Read more at Suite101: Car Buying Scam Using PayPal: Watch Out for Scammers When Selling a Car Online http://www.suite101.com/content/car-buying-scam-using-paypal-a215956#ixzz136pEnRek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I think unfortunately now most of our neighbors think Irish means stupid now a days!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

UK is full of scam. It's everywhere. Ireland is not bad yet, but we all can see it coming in. Scam trends will transfer to other countries soon too.

For example Polish ebay, so called allegro.pl is already facing a number of buyers from Nigeria. :D

So we're in kinda good position cause we already know their ways of scamming people over! This thread FTW!
    kev1.3s wrote: »
    I think unfortunately now most of our neighbors think Irish means stupid now a days!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

This arrived in my inbox a few mins ago
    Dear Member,

During maintenance schedule, we have updated our database. All user accounts will need to be verified and confirmed.
    You can log in to the system at http://www.autotrader.ie/ie-ola/Login.
    using your username and password: Your account will be automaticaly updated after the login.

If you have any queries, please do get in touch, by directly replying to this email.

Regards,
    Autotrader Classifieds

all the buttons to other sections are dead in the link, clearly a dodgy email

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

all the buttons to other sections are dead in the link, clearly a dodgy email
    More to the point, the link goes to a much dodgier URL than the fake link text: "www.autotraderireland-securelogin-online-tradermediagroup.com", pretty much the fakest, phishingest URL you can get ;)

zynaps wrote: »
    More to the point, the link goes to a much dodgier URL than the fake link text: "www.autotraderireland-securelogin-online-tradermediagroup.com", pretty much the fakest, phishingest URL you can get ;)

indeed, I reported to autotrader as well, might even get a thank you off them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

As long as they know what spoof email is.

Captain no less :pac:

I'd love to know what kind of business he's going to float
    Name: Capt.Mark Zimmerman

Phone No:

Email Address : capt.markz@live.com

Ref/URL: xxxxx

Comments: My name is Capt.Mark Zimmerman.
    An American marine soldier,presently in Iraq.
    Will soon be leaving the army to float private business.
    And will like to relocate to europe.
    i am interested in ur advertised car.
    I need more details.

Looking forward to your urgent response.

Capt.Mark Zimmerman