Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Definitely a scam, I even read it in a Nigerian accent. A marine engineer breaks up his sentences.

What are you on about....
    'Hi thanks for mailing back,am ok with the price and the condition, am buying it for my vacation, because i'll be coming soon from our ship as am a marine engineer on sea
    Clearly rivals shakespere....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'm sure the words "western union" will come up if you continue mailing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Scamamouche scamamouche will you do the scamdango :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I'm sure the words "western union" will come up if you continue mailing him.

He's already done the "Western Union" bit,but this time it's sent the excess money to his "Shipper".

Have fun OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brennarr

Got the same sort of scam mail & text when I tried selling my car on donedeal recently. Stringed him along for a bit and when he asked for my paypal email address I gave him suspiciousactivity@AnGardaSiochana.ie

Didn't hear anything back after that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭pcardin

Yeah, I got the same text on Sat from a scummbag who named himself as Eirnin Coinneach (what a creativness) :D
    But I know this scam since 2005 so didn't even bother to answer.

There is a bigger scam coming into my mailbox everyday since I've put my car up for a sale in DoneDeal. User Oliver who offers 500e for your car that is advertised for 2500e or user Marcin who want to know if you would like to swap your car to his Volvo S60 and when you ring him back to tell that you're ok with that he acts like he was just born. :mad: Trust me, this type of scam is more annoying and it is all local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

Basically, i have my car up on CBG for sale and this dude from scotland has been emailing me interested in it. He was sposed to be in ireland this week to look at it but couldnt. Its only a megane coupe! im sure there are loads in the uk!
    anyway this is his latest email.

"Sorry to inform you that i will know longer be coming to Ireland moreover viewing the car this week end as planned,this is due to my wife's pregnancy which is really reacting on her health,i have as well taking soon time of from work to be round her,this is actually our
    first baby.I hope you will understand.
    I actually had a discussion with my replacement if he would do me the favor of coming to see the car which he turn down because of the distance and time.Please let me know if i could arrange for a shipper to handle the transportation of the car,after confirm and clear payment is made,this is the only alternative i believe will be suitable for now.I know probably am not the only one interested in the car,in order to be on the saver side i have decided to make a full payment of the money and will proceed with my search for transporter or shipper,.I will need you to give me your pay pal email address in order to make the payment asap if you have one and please if you don't have a pay pal account yet,is very easy to set up one.All you need do is go to www.paypal.ca to set up one.Which i will be needing the email address you use for your registration to make payment.I consider it to be secure and faster to pay with and also easily for me to make use of while at work,set up and payment might only take few days pending on how quick you get it done.If you consider this not suitable i could issue you a cheque my only concern is the timing.If this is okay with you please let me know.
    Thank you"

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

scam

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

Common scam, just ignore it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Dodgy? No, seems like an ordinary everyday scam to me.

• Advertisement

allright, allright a scam it is.
    how is it a scam tho. not familiar with paypal.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Definitely a scam. I spoke to a friend working in paypal to see how it works. I had a car for sale recently and I must have got 5 or 6 similar emails from different people.

All the people were living abroad and wanted to transfer the money into my pay pal account. Of course none of them could come to see/examine the car but all wanted their "shipping Agent" to pick it up after the transfer was complete.

Pay pal is safe so you would think right? Well what actually happens is that they transfer the money to your pay pal account, someone picks up the car. Then they say to pay pal that they never got the car and claim a refund from pay pal. Paypal then freeze your account and you never get the money.

Paypal have the system in place to protect the buyer but as a seller you have very little comeback. As far as I'm concerned paypal need to change their system as it is encouraging fraud!

Please correct me if I'm wrong on the above but it has happened to others before and I heard this from a reliable source.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Search this forum for paypal scam, it'll be explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Seller is not protected on paypal very much. They will pay you and then claim it back via a chargeback.

right , thanks. good to know.
    he is getting a big **** off reply from me.

The Sh!tty english should of been a giveaway....

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Vicxas wrote: »
    The Sh!tty english should of been a giveaway....

Ha - always love this in pedant responses

The Sh!tty english should HAVE been a giveaway...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

How many tees in ****ty ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭lau1247

scam, OP mentioned he is from Scotland supposedly.

First clue to me would be, why use paypal through Canada's site??

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Me fail english, that umpossible....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Whohoo! I was starting to feel a bit left out as I had never experienced any type of attempted scam before (pc doctor, wallet inspector etc) but today, my friends, there is cherry juice all over the place!

The car has been up for sale for ~month drawing a tiny bit of interest - not really pushing it as it's currently out of the country with me

A couple of days ago, I received a somewhat strange email from (am i allowed print name? no doubt it's fake and this is defo a scam!) asking what my final asking price of "item" (not "car") would be. My spidey sense tingled a bit so I went fishing for a bit more info. . .

I replied stating that it was currently unavailable as it's out of the country but i would be re-advertising it with an adjusted price upon my return in several weeks time.

The reply came seeking my final (not a hint of haggle here) asking price again. The odd bit of spelling/grammar error was evident but nothing distinctly page jumping. Either way at this juncture, after reading a fair few of the scam stories and not being a complete moron, I'm fairly convinced that this is going nowhere. . .so i reply with an asking price that is considerably higher than the advertised price. This is what I received not 15 mins ago. . .
    Hello

Thank you for your response,i will like to let you know that the price is ok with me.Concerning the shipping of the Item,i have a Shipping agent that would be responsible for the pick up of it at your location.

I will be paying by a Bank draft and i will wait for the Bank draft to clear your bank before the pick up arrangement is made,I would instruct my client to issue
    out a check to you and the Bank draft would cover both the price of the Item and the shipping charges,so the amount on Bank draft will be 10,000.

I would want you to pay in the Bank draft into your Bank account and when it clears,you would deduct the cost of the Item and then send the rest of the money to my Shipping Agent via the
    nearest Western Union outlet in your Area.

Ps:I want you to remove the advert from the Internet and consider it sold to me,on which i would be glad to compensate
    you with an extra 50 for doing do.

Email back with your following details..

Name on bank draft:

Full Contact Address

Phone number..

phone number..

Many Thanks

Ahhhhh, I feel so accepted. . .:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Take the draught and wipe your botty with it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Well the grammar and spelling in those scam mails has improved a lot. He must be reading scam thread's like these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Antikythera

Hal1 wrote: »
    Well the grammar and spelling in those scam mails has improved a lot. He must be reading scam thread's like these.

But you're not writing them for him:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It's happening again!

I re-listed it on donedeal & adverts yesterday as i'll be back in the country next week and hopefully be able to sell the car.

I just got an e-mail response from a female name asking what my rock bottom acceptable price is. . .

1 spelling mistake and 2 grammatical errors in a 14 word e-mail, not to mention who even gets to that part of the sale without having a look and drive of it!

If i didn't have a couple of proper interested people i'd probably be pissed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

My mate made an inquiry about a car in Liverpool

The reply he got (via email)

The car is located in Liverpool/England and i am located in United States with my job .
    Few weeks ago somebody from Germany told to me that want to buy my
    car.I told him that is Ok,we will meet in Liverpool and we will make the
    deal.I was in Liverpool in the next day but no buyer,never respond to my emails
    or to my calls so here is what i am sugessting to you:
    With this service i am sure that you have the money and that you will
    come for sure in Liverpool.
    You must find the nearest WesternUnion agency and you will go there
    with your best friend. Your friend will be the
    sender and the receiver is you in Liverpool/England.
    I want to be 100 % sure that you will be in Liverpool because once the
    money are sent you have to be in Liverpool to get the money.
    Right now i am located in U.S but after i will get
    the receipt from WesternUnion i will come back in Liverpool to wait you and to finish
    the deal.That's why i need to see the receipt.I don't want to buy the
    plane ticket to come and then to wait you and maybe you will never come.
    If i will see the receipt then i will be sure that you will come and i
    will go to buy the ticket plane for Liverpool.
    After the transfer is made you must scan the receipt from WesternUnion and then
    send it in to my e-mail address attached so i can check.If you agree
    then i will keep the car for you and after i will see the copy from
    WesternUnion in max.2 days i will come back in Liverpool to meet you .
    When we meet in Liverpool we go to a mechanic to confirm you
    that the car is OK and to the Police so they can tell you that the car it's
    not stolen.I will change the name on the documents on your name and
    after that we will go to office WesternUnion to get the money sended by your
    friend in Liverpool/England.
    If something is wrong with this car then i will pay you the plane ticket so please troust me because the car it's like new.
    WesternUnion take comission for sending the money.This is not a problem
    because when we will meet in Liverpool i will give you back the money
    which your friend have paid for sending the money on your name to Liverpool/England.

lol:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Helps to add no paypal scammers etc. etc. at the end of an add.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,077 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Got a scam email a few days ago about a car I have for sale for €2k. the guy asked for the latest price among other things and I told him it was €4.5k so he says he'll buy it.

I like the part where he forgot to insert "car" where it says "(item)" :D
    Hello ,

Thanks for your mail back and also for the information of your
    (item) I must tell you am really interested about the (item) and
    also I hope the (item) is good condition. I want the best that's I'm
    saying this.

Concerning the shipment of the (item) from your location to my
    house,this will be taking (item) of by my shipping agent, who will be
    coming directly to your location for the pickup of the (item). If
    there are papers, he can use this for clearance and also for the
    shipment of the (item).This is all the requirements needed at this
    time. The shipper agent will handle every other thing necessary when
    he Arrive sour O cation.

So i will like to pay £4,500 for the (item) plus an extra £50 for
    you to keep other buyers off till it is picked up by the shipping
    agent. So please get back to me, and also keep other buyers off. My
    client who owes me will send you a bank certified cheque of £4,980.
    Can I trust you to have it cashed, take £4,550 and and send the
    balance to the agent, so he will be using the rest of the money for
    the pick up of the (item).?If yes, kindly reply with the following
    payment details so I can inform him to make out payment to you.

Thank you.
    FIRST NAME......
    LAST NAME.
    ADDRESS.......
    CITY.......
    STATE....
    ZIP CODE..
    COUNTRY....
    PHONE NUMBER (S).

Looking forward to your soonest reply.
    My very warm regards to your family,..
    Sincerely
    Donald

• Registered Users Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭Esel

My mate made an inquiry about a car in Liverpool

The reply he got (via email)

The car is located in Liverpool/England and i am located in United States with my job .
    Few weeks ago somebody from Germany told to me that want to buy my
    car.I told him that is Ok,we will meet in Liverpool and we will make the
    deal.I was in Liverpool in the next day but no buyer,never respond to my emails
    or to my calls so here is what i am sugessting to you:
    With this service i am sure that you have the money and that you will
    come for sure in Liverpool.
    You must find the nearest WesternUnion agency and you will go there
    with your best friend. Your friend will be the
    sender and the receiver is you in Liverpool/England.
    I want to be 100 % sure that you will be in Liverpool because once the
    money are sent you have to be in Liverpool to get the money.
    Right now i am located in U.S but after i will get
    the receipt from WesternUnion
    i will come back in Liverpool to wait you and to finish
    the deal.That's why i need to see the receipt.I don't want to buy the
    plane ticket to come and then to wait you and maybe you will never come.
    If i will see the receipt then i will be sure that you will come and i
    will go to buy the ticket plane for Liverpool.
    After the transfer is made you must scan the receipt from WesternUnion and then
    send it in to my e-mail address attached so i can check.If you agree
    then i will keep the car for you and after i will see the copy from
    WesternUnion in max.2 days i will come back in Liverpool to meet you .
    When we meet in Liverpool we go to a mechanic to confirm you
    that the car is OK and to the Police so they can tell you that the car it's
    not stolen.I will change the name on the documents on your name and
    after that we will go to office WesternUnion to get the money sended by your
    friend in Liverpool/England.
    If something is wrong with this car then i will pay you the plane ticket so please troust me because the car it's like new.
    WesternUnion take comission for sending the money.This is not a problem
    because when we will meet in Liverpool i will give you back the money
    which your friend have paid for sending the money on your name to Liverpool/England.

lol:pac:
    See the bold bit. If you give him a copy of the WU receipt, he has enough info to withdraw the money. That's how this scam works. People fall for it too....

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 shubj

Just a thought but seeing as they are so often saying to send it to the Liverpool Western Union surely the fraud squad should set them up and be waiting to catch the scammers or would that be too much like common sense?

Advertisement