Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

muffler wrote: »
    Got a scam email a few days ago about a car I have for sale for €2k. the guy asked for the latest price among other things and I told him it was €4.5k so he says he'll buy it.
    Haha, nice trick :) "What's the lowest price you can do? A jillion dollars you say? Ok, but make sure you send me that receipt. God bless your cat etc."

Lazy sods don't even do the most basic consistency checks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Slightly related.

I've noticed that the number I use solely for selling on cars has been receiving those Internet banking scam texts.

So, it appears donedeal and the like are being used to trawl for Irish mobile numbers to send scam phishing texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭scoobymunster

shubj wrote: »
    Just a thought but seeing as they are so often saying to send it to the Liverpool Western Union surely the fraud squad should set them up and be waiting to catch the scammers or would that be too much like common sense?

Liverpool being the location is irrelevant. If you send something through Western Union it doesn't stipulate a particular location the funds have to be collected. If scammer gets a copy of the receipt, he can walk into a Western Union ANYWHERE and claim the cash, hard to catch them in the act.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭pcardin

and i
    will go to buy the ticket plane for Liverpool.

ticket plane, huh?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

corktina wrote: »
    recall the payment after getting the car..... dead easy to do... I ignore emails/texts such as this.

Could you not transfer the money out of paypal before handing over the car???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

they don't want the car. they send extra to cover the 'agents' fees - you transfer funds to the 'agents' - most likely a western union account. Then the original paypal payment for the car is reversed due to fraud and your account is down the amount sent to the 'agent' and you're liable for it

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This old chestnut again. Who agrees to buy a car they haven't even seen in the flesh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lankosher

Heh, I received exactly the same mail from that guy, with the same explaination, basically the same lies. The auction I was looking at was removed by otomoto.pl staff. http://otomoto.pl/index.php?sect=show&id=C20804352&ad_status=blocked

It was red Skoda Octavia RS.

I even spoke to the guy by dialing the first of the numbers and some chap, who most certainly was not native English, tried to convince me about the necessity to transfer money to my own account at MoneyGram J

The whole thing stank to high heavens....

Beware of robert.muller342@hotmail.com;)
    Hello again,
    The car is located in Liverpool/England and i am located in U.S with my job .Look, i don't want any money until you see and inspect the car. A friend of you must send the money to your name in Liverpool/England using MoneyGram .I want to do in this way because a few weeks ago somebody from Germany told to me that want to buy my car. I told him that is Ok, we will meet in Liverpool and we will make the deal. I was in Liverpool in the next 2 days but no buyer, never respond to my emails or to my calls .So, once the money has been sent on your name in Liverpool/England, i will be 100% sure that you will come there because you have to be in Liverpool to get the money.After we will meet in Liverpool we go to a mechanic to confirm you that the car is OK and to Police so they can tell you that the car it's not stolen.If something is wrong with this car then i will pay you the plane ticket so please troust me because the car it's like new.
    MoneyGram take comission for sending the money.This is not a problem because when we will meet in Liverpool i will give you back the money which your friend have paid for sending the money on your name to Liverpool/England.
    Thanks and let me know,

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WestWing

My mate made an inquiry about a car in Liverpool

or to my calls so here is what i am sugessting to you:
    With this service i am sure that you have the money and that you will
    come for sure in Liverpool.
    You must find the nearest WesternUnion agency and you will go there
    with your best friend. Your friend will be the
    sender and the receiver is you in Liverpool/England.

lol:pac:

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭DriversEd

hi,
    i just wanted to know if anyone selling a car recently on carzone/autotrader has had a reply offering to buy the car by someone in the UK called larry bent? the email is definetley written by someone who's first language isnt english. but before i push away a genuine buyer i said id ask here. the price is agree, and the only info he wants is name and address to send cheque to. we can wait for the cheque to clear and then the car will be picked up. sounds too good to be true, hence my suspicion.
    sound familiar to anyone?
    regards,
    ed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Yeah, my sister was selling an old corsa a few years ago. Some guy emailed, said he'd take it, no haggle on the price (even though she had overpriced it), didn't want to see it. Just wanted her to send name, address and maybe account number (I can't remember)....

Way too good to be true, she didn't answer and he didn't pursue it- wasn't that keen after all....

Ignore it....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I moved your post to the scam thread in the main motors forum duffsaw, as its not DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭Esel

duffsaw wrote: »
    hi,
    i just wanted to know if anyone selling a car recently on carzone/autotrader has had a reply offering to buy the car by someone in the UK called larry bent? the email is definetley written by someone who's first language isnt english. but before i push away a genuine buyer i said id ask here. the price is agree, and the only info he wants is name and address to send cheque to. we can wait for the cheque to clear and then the car will be picked up. sounds too good to be true, hence my suspicion.
    regards,
    ed
    100% scam.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 46,070 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Esel wrote: »
    100% scam.
    +1

Avoid like the plague

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭tucked

Without doubt, 100% a scam. Google Larry Bent and you'll see some of his other attempts. It's a shame these scams have made their way onto Irish sites. I got quite a few of them when I was selling my car but they're always too good to be true kind of offers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

duffsaw wrote: »
    hi,
    regards,
    ed
    1. The cheque is lodged to you account. You check your balance and the money shows up as credited. You hand over the car. A week later the bank realise the cheque is a fake and the value of the cheque is removed from the account.

2. another variant. A cheque comes for more than the agreed figure. The sender asks for some change. You transfer the "change" after the cheque clears. As above the cleared cheque is subsequently dishonoured and the transaction unravels and your "change" is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Currently selling my car on done deal,received a text for bottom price and some pictures. Knew it was a scam from the strange number and that I had to reply to a blumail account.
    So sent back an email with a DEARER price and got the following email within 45 seconds .

Thanks for the prompt response,I am ready to buy it now as a birthday
    gift for my generous uncle and i am at sea at the moment as i am a
    Marine Engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making
    and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to
    check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want
    the Car to be a surprise for my uncle so i won't let him know anything
    about the Car until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be
    more than happy with the Car,I insisted on paypal because i don't have
    access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but
    i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to
    it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address and the price
    so i can make the payments ASAP for the Car and pls if you don't have
    paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.ie and
    get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail
    address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money
    through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the Car up
    after i have made the payments...
    Do people actually fall for these scams

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If in any doubt, always assume it's a scam.

www.419eater.com - essential reading if you want to get even....

Here's one of their "Hall of Shame" pics :D

dildo_jones.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Currently selling my car on done deal,received a text for bottom price and some pictures. Knew it was a scam from the strange number and that I had to reply to a blumail account.
    So sent back an email with a DEARER price and got the following email within 45 seconds .

Best to just press delete...

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Sounds innocent enough, he just loves his uncle. Send him your paypal details and youre password in case he has problems sending you the cash. Better send him your bank details and pin just in case the paypal thing doesnt work for him.
    This guy is a bizzy bee, out on the open sea's protecting our freedom and allowing you sleep well at night. Sounds like a genuine chap. Hurry along and send him those details so his "agents" can collect the broom broom.

You dont want to ruin his uncles birthday do you ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

sundula wrote: »
    Sounds innocent enough, he just loves his uncle. Send him your paypal details and youre password in case he has problems sending you the cash. Better send him your bank details and pin just in case the paypal thing doesnt work for him.
    This guy is a bizzy bee, out on the open sea's protecting our freedom and allowing you sleep well at night. Sounds like a genuine chap. Hurry along and send him those details so his "agents" can collect the broom broom.

You dont want to ruin his uncles birthday do you ?
    your right I feel guilty now for doubting the good soul

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Kalel

Mate of mine just got the exact same email..do people still fall for these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

1 common thing in these scams are the buyer is always working on a ship / oil rig.
    Liverpool seems to crop up a lot as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Delancey wrote: »
    Liverpool seems to crop up a lot as well.

Hmmm, wonder why??? ;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Hmmm, wonder why??? ;););)

because it in USA :D seen similar scams before

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

friend of mine saw this ad

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/X5/3.0D-Spo/201202206564783/advert?channel=CARS

Way too cheap, no reg pictured, no NCT or tax pictured, but she decides to email the seller. Here's his response:

I want a safe transaction and that is why I am a seller affiliated with eBay Motors. They will guarantee this transaction between us.
    You have to make the payment to eBay, not to me. The payment will be handling by eBay in their bank account and you will benefit of 5 day's inspection time period and the option to accept or reject the car on my expense. The registration number is 06D2457 and also I made a hpi check for possible buyers https://www.motorcheck.ie/report/06D2457/XVTG9W
    The inspection time period of 5 days will begin as soon as you have sign for receiving the car at your requested address.
    eBay will hold the money until you confirm them that you agree to purchase the car. Only when they have your confirmation they will forward me the money.
    The car will be shipped directly to your requested address, as soon as I will have the payment confirmation from eBay. The shipping company will deliver the vehicle and all documents directly to your requested address.
    I will forward your details to eBay when I will be home later in this night.
    They will open a case with our transaction and contact with eBay invoice and transaction details.

Thank You,
    Márkus

Pure scam crap. I've informed carzone, but car still advertised as of now

• Registered Users Posts: 2 coreilly

What I don't get is how the HPI check is so authentic looking?

Regards,
    Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

Hi all, I've checked the details on this transaction and whilest the report is genuine the credit card used to pay for it was fraudulent. I'm satisfied that the person advertising the car for sale is not the true owner so under no circumstances would I consider engaging in a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WestWing

The advert has been removed from carzone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

This sounds kinda fishy:pac:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2903067

"The jeep is located in Poland and is the ideal vehicle for you and your mates/family to follow the Irish team in euro 2012.
    It is registered and tested in Poland, fully serviced and ready to go.
    Also available:
    Nissan Navara 2003 -- €5000
    Nissan Navara 2006 --- €8000
    Nissan Navara 2006, Very nice jeep, tinted windows etc - €9000
    Hilux 2007 Very Tidy - €10,000
    Transit 9 seat bus - €5,000
    All vehicles are left hand drive, located in Poland, being sold by an Irish company, ready to use, and very reliable.
    More pics and info available."

Advertisement