Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

WestWing wrote: »
    The advert has been removed from carzone.

Yes, got email from carzone saying they'd removed it. Thanks for clarification from motor check. I also saw further correspondence from "seller" and the fake eBay transaction emails were well put together and could fool the unwary.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cipro 55

Saw this on the bye and sell,

Fiat Grande Punto 1242 Petrol 2007 in Dublin
    Fiat Grande Punto 1242 Petrol 2007

This is the reply i got to my email,

The car was brought from ireland and the car is registered in ireland , Technical condition and the visual estimate at very good.
    Body and interior in perfect condition. Stored indoors, regularly serviced.
    Equipped with a dynamic, flexible and economical engine.
    A few days ago has been replaced in the engine oil and filter.
    I have two keys, and the book led to the end of service.
    If we decided to buy this car, I will found a way to bring the car to ireland soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ 99.9999999999999% guaranteed spam.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

total scam................
    irish cars for sale oversea with the sale story of either
    1. family member passes away and family cant afford to clear car to county car is located
    2. unable to get used to driving RHD car in continent roads

Drive...... as far away from the advert !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cipro 55

• Registered Users Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Your link is corrupted by the :confused: smilie

This is it http://www.buyandsell.ie/search/for-sale/motors/dublin/-/fiat-grande-punto-12-dynamic

To be honest, the low price alone should be enough to tell you it is a scam.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Captain no less :pac:

I'd love to know what kind of business he's going to float
    i Googled this ip address and this guy is still in business,this is his message.

Name: Michael Cater

Phone No:

Email Address : catermichael55@yahoo.com

Comments: Hello i am interested in your car and i have agreed to buy it from you only if you are willing to sell,send me the last price and the mechanical history and also the picture

Powered by www.carzone.ie

Sender IP: / 172.17.10.254

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭esker man

i Googled this ip address and this guy is still in business,this is his message.

Name: Michael Cater

Phone No:

Email Address : catermichael55@yahoo.com

Comments: Hello i am interested in your car and i have agreed to buy it from you only if you are willing to sell,send me the last price and the mechanical history and also the picture

Powered by www.carzone.ie

Sender IP: / 172.17.10.254

Looks like I've been targeted by this b'st'rd . I have an advert on carzone.ie and other sites and got contacted thru carzone.ie by a Martin McClure with email of mrk311@hotmail.com and from that fake ip address.

He asked for nct , chassis, log book details which I didnt give but did give my name and address for arranging a viewing....STUPID ME.... I know.. thought the english wasnt 100pc - but thought it was just problems from an autocorrect in his text editor....DOUBLE STUPID

Feckn worried now :-(

I've reported it to Carzone but nothing back yet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Don't think you've anything to be worried about; just ignore any more emails from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I have had 2 scam mails from robertgustavo105@yahoo.com (IP 172.17.10.254) and jamescolesyou@yahoo.com (same IP). Both saying pretty much the same thing... the price (clearly marked) and condition (clearly visible), they have progressed to payment and I got this mail:
    Thanks for the e-mail.I am okay with your last selling price..My concern now is the method of payment because i am on holiday at the moment,but i don't want you to sell it to other buyers..I'll pay you with a bank draft which will clear in your account within 2 - 3 working days..I am prepared to wait until payment is fully cleared before any other action will be taken..I want you to get back to me with your payment information:Name,,Address and contact phone number..I await your immediate reply..
    Thanks

My reply:
    Hi James,

Unfortunately I don't have a bank account as it was closed when I got divorced and my wife took half of everything including the bank account. I will accept a post dated cheque as payment and you can arrange to pick the car up on the date you specify on the cheque. If this is OK with you please let me know and I will forward you the details to my PO box - unfortunately I don't have a house either and I cannot give a specific address for my caravan as I have to move from time to time. I must point out that whilst the car is in immaculate condition both inside and out, there is a bit of a blood stain in the boot but it has been cleaned so should be of no worry to you. I just wanted to let you know before we progress this deal as you seem like a nice chap.

Let me know if this arrangement suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bopter

esker man wrote: »

Looks like I've been targeted by this b'st'rd . I have an advert on carzone.ie and other sites and got contacted thru carzone.ie by a Martin McClure with email of mrk311@hotmail.com and from that fake ip address.

He asked for nct , chassis, log book details which I didnt give but did give my name and address for arranging a viewing....STUPID ME.... I know.. thought the english wasnt 100pc - but thought it was just problems from an autocorrect in his text editor....DOUBLE STUPID

Feckn worried now :-(

I've reported it to Carzone but nothing back yet

Was it a scam? I got the same email from Martin Mclure today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tommie83

bopter wrote: »
    Was it a scam? I got the same email from Martin Mclure today.

I got the same email also from the same guy...( just about 10 mins ago) I knew straight away it was dodgy so googled it :D

Once I get one email, will they continue ?
    Should I set up a separate email for selling goods in future ?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,077 ✭✭✭✭muffler

tommie83 wrote: »
    Should I set up a separate email for selling goods in future ?
    Highly recommended, yes.

Personally I have about 5 or 6 email accounts that I use for various purposes and I can tell you one or two of them get a real hammering with all types of scams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tommie83

ill do that so..

cheers for the response...

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Just got an email from the same guy about a car we've got for sale on car zone. This time he was asking if there had been any finance on it. Not replied yet because I figured it was a scam and google brought me here. Thanks guys :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Just a bit of a note on these scammers, they are only looking for your bank details so don't be worrying if they have your mobile details or you replied to them.

If you ever decide to list an email address on an item for sale, its best that you have one that is not your primary address in case they decide to spam you.

Don't ever open a link they send you or download any attachment as it could be spyware.

Use your head and judgement, if someone is asking questions that are already answered (price etc) and you think it may be a scam, then chances are it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

RoboRat wrote: »
    Just a bit of a note on these scammers, they are only looking for your bank details so don't be worrying if they have your mobile details or you replied to them.

Exactly - it will most likely be a dodgy draft over the asking amount that you lodge, and then are supposed to refund them the difference.
    RoboRat wrote: »
    If you ever decide to list an email address on an item for sale, its best that you have one that is not your primary address in case they decide to spam you.

Handy tip for gmail users, if your address is john.doe@gmail.com, you can give an address like john.doe+donedeal@gmail.com, which makes it really easy to set up filters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Meeting buyers of my wifes car tomorrow, they have agreed to buy car from advertisement pictures and a few more that I have emailed to them. I have asked the buyer to bring cash with him and we will be lodging into my BOI account before I sign any forms. It's the first time I have asked a buyer to do this but the person is of African backround and I just can't take the chance of getting shafted :mad:

Is this unusual and have ye found buyers being offended in any way by this course of action ?

I assume when lodging the money that the bank can and will check notes but will they check a couple of thousand euros worth there and then and once its lodged I'm in the clear if there is an issue with any notes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

Meeting buyers of my wifes car tomorrow, they have agreed to buy car from advertisement pictures and a few more that I have emailed to them. I have asked the buyer to bring cash with him and we will be lodging into my BOI account before I sign any forms. It's the first time I have asked a buyer to do this but the person is of African backround and I just can't take the chance of getting shafted :mad:

Is this unusual and have ye found buyers being offended in any way by this course of action ?

I assume when lodging the money that the bank can and will check notes but will they check a couple of thousand euros worth there and then and once its lodged I'm in the clear if there is an issue with any notes ?

Cash is Cash! If you walk away from the transaction with the money you are probably OK!

I sold a car a few years ago to a guy of a similar backgrond, he gave me a cheque in good faith with me holding onto the car, I lodged the cheque and waited 48h, AOK, the guy was a doctor far more qualified than me, absolutely dead sound, he was a pleasure to deal with, I posted him a few quid Good Luck money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

One I got recently from donedeal ad..
    Thanks for responding on time...I am willing to know the lowest price
    of it due to the nature of my job and location…i will not be able to
    come for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours
    everyday,i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied
    with it. As for the payment..i will be paying you via the fastest and
    secure way to pay online(PayPal), and a private courier agent would
    come for the pick up after the payment have been made ...so no
    shipping included, so you can now send me your PayPal email so i can
    pay in right away and also include your address in your reply.If you
    don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one and setting up
    a paypal account doesn't take more than 5minutes...just log on to
    www.paypal.com and sign up. its very easy.I await your reply asap
    lyonsdarren35@yahoo.com: Thanks for the faster response...........All
    you need to do now is to send me your paypal
    email address now, so i can quickly transfer the fund to your account
    as soon as possible.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

deandean wrote: »
    Cash is Cash! If you walk away from the transaction with the money you are probably OK!

Only if the notes are ok, surely?

deandean wrote: »

I sold a car a few years ago to a guy of a similar backgrond, he gave me a cheque in good faith with me holding onto the car, I lodged the cheque and waited 48h, AOK, the guy was a doctor far more qualified than me, absolutely dead sound, he was a pleasure to deal with, I posted him a few quid Good Luck money.

He called about 5 mins ago to say the credit union didn't have or wouldn't give him (Didn't gather) full amount. Would I take a check for 2/5 and the remainder in cash ? He said the credit union will make the cheque out to me. I want to sell the car but do I hell wanna get ripped off. I said okay.

I'll probably look to call the credit union and confirm it's legit and I'm guessing the cheque will probably be a BOI cheque which is where I intend to lodge.

Thoughts ????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Sounds abit iffy if im honest

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

He called about 5 mins ago to say the credit union didn't have or wouldn't give him (Didn't gather) full amount. Would I take a check for 2/5 and the remainder in cash ? He said the credit union will make the cheque out to me. I want to sell the car but do I hell wanna get ripped off. I said okay.

I'll probably look to call the credit union and confirm it's legit and I'm guessing the cheque will probably be a BOI cheque which is where I intend to lodge.

Thoughts ????

that sounds like you are going to be a very lucky guy if you don't get ripped off. It literally screams scam.

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    Sounds abit iffy if im honest

It does, doesn't it ?? I asked him for the credit union name. Googled them, called them to confirm and they said yeah no problem they issued cheque in my name for the amount having dealt with the name in question.

Should be okay , yeah or nay ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

It does, doesn't it ?? I asked him for the credit union name. Googled them, called them to confirm and they said yeah no problem they issued cheque in my name for the amount having dealt with the name in question.

Should be okay , yeah or nay ??
    It could be just down to credit union policies to limit cash on hand for security reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

I got a credit union loan afew years back and they could only give €5000 in cash rest in a cheque, not sure if their policy has changed

Early monday morning maybe ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

The draft should be fine (especially if they confirmed it to you over the phone). I have gotten drafts off the Credit Union to pay for things in the past. You could always ring back to check their policy on cash withdrawls. There is a good chance they don't like giving a lot of cash out in one go as someone else has pointed out.

Advertisement