Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Follow up, we met he had cash and cheque. We had agreed price of 5k on phone friday evening and I told him not to come and try to knock more off. He then started "ah man tell me what the story is " and all this sh1te. I had told him on phone on friday it wasn't the cleanest example especially a bit of rear wing. I probably should have told him where to go straight awaybut had another car lined up so allowed him another 300 of the price. I had also asked him if he had a small garden and would he be interested in a small electric mower which was no use to me he said yes.

We went to bank and lodged cash together ( i was bringing cheque to my credit union they told me they would cash it for me).

This evening he texts me stating that something was broken and that I tried to hide it with the lawnmower. FFS he was quite able to remove the mower, we must have spent the guts of an hour together.

Sicken my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I don't know about you guys, but even when selling I'd want to deal face to face. What kind of numpty makes an offer on a car he can't see or drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i sold my car to a guy in Romania who sent me a 1000 euro deposit by western union and 300 expenses to drive it to London where i coillected balance in cash.went witohut a hitch, they arent ALL scams (most are though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

I would never haggle on a cars price w/o first giving it a good inspection in daylight anyone who haggles over the phone screams timewaster to me.

I don't know about you guys, but even when selling I'd want to deal face to face. What kind of numpty makes an offer on a car he can't see or drive?

Personally i too have always purchased cars on what i see in front of me too. But during our chat friday evening i was pushed for my very best price which he agreed to. I reluctantly dropped again cause had i walked away i have wasted my time and no guarantee i'd improve on price. A bird in the hand and all that!

The lad may well be straight but he had an hour looking at the car yesterday with his mate and was happy to conclude then. I could be blunt and tell him to f off but i'm holding off on that, for now anyway. I never had any issues with buyers before but somehow i suspect my feedback won't be 100% positive anymore :-) Yesterday he told me his wife would leave positive feedback and now this.

I am a bit annoyed but i'll get over it sometime in the next. ....... 5 minutes.

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    i sold my car to a guy in Romania who sent me a 1000 euro deposit by western union and 300 expenses to drive it to London where i coillected balance in cash.went witohut a hitch, they arent ALL scams (most are though!)

You gotta be kidding me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

corktina wrote: »
    And I bet that the car is still running around in Romania on Irish plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Dirkster

I did, on my last 3 cars and all went without a hitch. Why bother wasting your time and the car owners time if he's nowhere near coming down to a price that you might have in mind? I prefer a no bull approach to it. Ask an awful lot of detailed questions and state a price you'd be willing to pay if its as he states. Make it plain clear that if there's a single scratch more than described then more will be knocked off or else the deal is off.

A strong personality indicating how bad it would be to be wasting your time if you come and see the car also helps too.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    I would never haggle on a cars price w/o first giving it a good inspection in daylight anyone who haggles over the phone screams timewaster to me.

I don't agree, I've rung a few people about cars that are advertised at a price I've no intention of paying. I'm not going to waste both our time by meeting up to find out that they're not going to budge enough on the price.

I agreed the purchase of my previous car (Alfa GT) over the phone. Couldn't get across the country to check it out, so had it fully checked out by someone else and I also spoke to the garage where it had been serviced just before I bought it, and also for the previous 3 years.

Maybe I was lucky, but I wasn't let down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

And I bet that the car is still running around in Romania on Irish plates.

as far as i know it's stirpped down for restoration and he is looking for a Granda Coupe to go with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfJnoXxHPNo&feature=share

published by the Garda Press Office. Just discovered it on the net. May be of use to someone???

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

bopter wrote: »
    Was it a scam? I got the same email from Martin Mclure today.
    esker man wrote: »

Looks like I've been targeted by this b'st'rd . I have an advert on carzone.ie and other sites and got contacted thru carzone.ie by a Martin McClure with email of mrk311@hotmail.com and from that fake ip address.

He asked for nct , chassis, log book details which I didnt give but did give my name and address for arranging a viewing....STUPID ME.... I know.. thought the english wasnt 100pc - but thought it was just problems from an autocorrect in his text editor....DOUBLE STUPID

Feckn worried now :-(

I've reported it to Carzone but nothing back yet

Just had an email off the same guy mrk311@hotmail.com . 'I live in Liverpool but am moving to Dublin with work (some Irish bank). I want to buy your car for cash. Supply me with Chassis number, name and address of registered owner, blah blah blah........

Definitely something not right. Needless to say, told him where to go ever so politely :D and then updated blocked and junk mail settings on email account. Then deleted car ad. Have been targeted with no end of scammers since advertising on the usual websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Have a look at this and see what you think. I reckon its legit.

http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/cars/3190314

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Daved_XB

Have a look at this and see what you think. I reckon its legit.

http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/cars/3190314

It's legit alright I sold that to him in 2056 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Last updated 89 days ago.

Carzone is like an ad graveyard at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Last updated 89 days ago.

Carzone is like an ad graveyard at this stage.

Any cars I called about were long gone on carzone. Ads were mostly ancient. It's a joke really.

Today I learnt another lesson on buying and selling cars in this country. My wife rang me this evening while I was in work to tell me of the arrival of a letter from GE Finance wondering how she came into possession of "their" car.

It seems a car we purchased last November has finance owned on it since 2008. That didn't show up on the motorcheck report I ran the day I bought the car.

Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Today I learnt another lesson on buying and selling cars in this country. My wife rang me this evening while I was in work to tell me of the arrival of a letter from GE Finance wondering how she came into possession of "their" car.

It seems a car we purchased last November has finance owned on it since 2008. That didn't show up on the motorcheck report I ran the day I bought the car.

Go figure.
    Presumably the register against which the check is run is updated based on information provided by the finance companies. If there was nothing showing on that car does that mean GE Finance didn't flag it as delinquent and so could be held partially liable for this situation? Maybe an angle worth pursuing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't think so. Just because they didn't update a third party doesn't mean that it was open to sell. GE still have an interest in the car and therefore (AFAIK) cannot be sold without their consent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

kbannon wrote: »
    I don't think so. Just because they didn't update a third party doesn't mean that it was open to sell. GE still have an interest in the car and therefore (AFAIK) cannot be sold without their consent.
    Agreed, it doesn't change the fact that they have a lien over the car. But if they did not update the central register, and the purchaser purchased the car in good faith having checked the central register, then the purchaser is out of pocket partially because of the negligence of the finance house. It wouldn't be a trump card that would allow the purchaser to keep the car but it could be the basis for a claim against GE for compensation of part of the purchase price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3349344

Says call John but your man on the answering machine is called Ryan.

Main picture is also taken of autotraider.co.uk.

In one of the interior shots theirs a yellow reg focus in the backround.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That car is in the uk I reakon: "LEAVING THE COUNTRY IN 2 WEEKS" I doubt there's anything going on tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

In one picture as well there's silver doors handles and in another black plastic. Ye think people would at least make the effort if there pulling one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That's cause it's a ghia model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Note the .co.uk website address in the main picture. It's a UK import that's using pictures from an ad which was used when selling in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Aln_S

Usual scam story, just want to stick it in here in case someone gets it and googles it.

NAME: MR Martin Watson
    EMAIL: matinwatson@yahoo.co.uk
    Message:Hello, I saw your CAR advertised on a classified advert on the Autotrader Which am interested in it . Am from south wales {Cardiff CF145YA } ,i want the CAR please let me knowif it is still available for sell and what is the total price.i will alsowant you to send me more pictures of the CAR and am willing to pay with aCheque/Bank Draft ? Pls send me your name and address to which the paymentwill be send to likewise you can give me your account details so that i cantransfer the money onc into your account I will await a quick response to my inquiry via email.Thank you and Godbless. CALL ME ON 07031954397 THANKS

Seems like a good rule of thumb too that if God is mentioned in an enquiry, it's a scam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Aln_S wrote: »
    Seems like a good rule of thumb too that if God is mentioned in an enquiry, it's a scam :)

Or "transfer" or (all-caps) "CAR" or "latest price" or "shipping" :)

I wonder what percentage of inquiries received by sellers is fraudulent...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Aln_S wrote: »
    Usual scam story, just want to stick it in here in case someone gets it and googles it.
    <snip>
    CALL ME ON 07031954397 THANKS
    The phone number has some history of this...
    http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/07031954397
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/selling-my-car-and-look-at-this-message-487732

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭Esel

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3349344

Says call John but your man on the answering machine is called Ryan.

Main picture is also taken of autotraider.co.uk.

In one of the interior shots theirs a yellow reg focus in the backround.
    Do you really think this is a scam - when the car in from 1999 and the asking price is €550?

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement