Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

ok bit of a long one but it all starts here...

One of my employees put his car for sale on the internet.. it goes something like this..

first email arrives

Hello,
    I was born in Latvia but i live in USA,i just got your mail now.How i
    wish to come and view it but am out of town now.I'm a Marine engineer
    and am busy working in Sydney . I'm satisfied with the condition.
    Email me with the actual price you are willing to sell it.

Hope to read from you soon.
    Regards.
    Didzis Freibergs..

2nd mail
    Ok,thanks for the response..I want you to know that am really
    interested in buying the vehicle.I want to make sure all bases are
    covered,how much are you willing to sell your car?and kindly get back
    to me with some pictures of the car..

Awaiting your reply..

He replied with photos etc and price

3rd mail
    Ok,thanks for the response. i got the picture you sent and I want you
    to know that am really interested in buying the vehicle, and I want to
    make sure all bases are covered,i want you to know that i agree with the
    price and payment will be made using Bank to bank Payment or a paypal
    payment and i will be needing your details so the payment will be made as
    soon as possible . Make sure you get back to me so that
    we can arrange for pick up as i will like the vehicle to be picked as
    i am out of town and at work on the ship at the moment,so do you
    have a bank account or a paypal already?.. I await your reply.
    Best Regards.

my friend sent his bank account details!!!! :eek:

4th mail
    I got your bank account details and i will be making the payment
    tomorrow, Your home address is needed because the shipping company
    will be coming to your country for the signing of the changing of
    ownership and for the pick up, so kindly get back to me with your home
    address and i will message you as soon as am done with the payment..

Thanks once again for the deal and i hope we deal more better....

5th mail
    Hello, sure i really do understand you and the shipping agent that
    will be coming to your country speaks Latvian and it will be more
    easier for the changing of ownership, i will be making to payment in a
    while and you will be receiving the alert in your email so kindly get
    back to me as soon as you get the alert...

Best Regards

then this arrives
    Dear Valued Customer

Congratulations ! This acknowledgment sets forth certain terms upon which {Mrs Hilary Janet} is interested in acquiring some Items and she paid the Total Amount of 4,150:00Euro Below-noted name and bank account there in.
    The Citi Logo Bank
    The Financial Details of the Transaction are stated below:

Payment Transfer Status AVAILABLE
    Date Placed 05/17/2012
    Order Status TRANSFER CONFIRMED
    Transfer Order Number WA13005444009122UMS

Bank / Location 1A, BALASTA DAMBIS

Account Holder's Name KRIS
    Iban
    Email Address k@inbox.lv
    Country Latvia
    Services Purchased: Direct Transfer /Cash
    Swift Code HABALV22
    Transport Charges 350:00 Euro
    Total Amount To Be Transfer To Seller 4,150:00Euro
    Taxes And Insurance =======
    Shipping Services "COURIER EXCHANGE"

Merchandise Title Car
    Seller's Address Information:
    Buyer's E-mail Address Hilaryjanet27@gmail.com

Depositor Mrs Hilary Janet

He notes that the amount transferred is 350 euro more than asking price of 3800

then he discovers the angle and come to me with it.

Dear KRISTINE KALUKANOVA.

We are so glad to inform you as a result of online transfer update....We are currently reviewing the transfer of the full payment of 4,150:00Euro from our client, the buyer of your auction items Mrs Hilary Janet we got a call from your buyer and ours' work is to get this across to you immediately.

The bank has the priority over this transaction, we are doing our best to ensure this transaction a good one which we believed, and we make you banking with our bank in time to come.We have authorized the immediate transfer of the full payment to your bank details provided below for further proceedings:

Holders Name:KRIS
    Bank Address:1A, BALASTA DAMBIS
    IBAN:
    Swift Code:
    Total Amount:4,150:00Euro
    Seller mail address:

Hope everything are well correct ?

We've placed a temporary hold on the funds of this transaction:
    As mentioned in the receipt of Payment and as per New Royal Bank Payment policy, we have fully debited the total amount (above) from the buyer's account which included the Transport/Delivery Charges (Courier Exchange Logistics).

In order to complete this transaction and get the funds approved in your account. We advice you go to nearest Western Union Office, and send the extra 350:00 Euro for the Transport Agent and send us a Scanned Copy/Photograph of your Western Union Transaction Receipt (in .JPG Format).

NOTE: This is important as a security measure to ensure safety of this transaction.
    Please, find below the name and address of the Transport Agent where the Funds would be sent via Western Union Money Transfer.

Transport Company Address Here Below:

Name Mark Smith
    Address: south side street, the barbican,
    City ;Devon
    State Plymouth
    Postal Code: plq12lq

Your Account will be credited accordingly upon the receipt of details requested. Should either be sent in JPG format or send type details as and also the SCAN COPY receipt :

there are various mails back and forward between them and then the "scammer" starts getting thick and threatens to report my friend to the FBI or fraud!! She says the money has left her account and unless he sends the 350 euro he will be reported to the fbi..

But the money have already been deducted from my bank account, so how
    exactly do you want the transaction to go? i want you to know that the
    FBI is aware of all the transaction and I will be making a full report if you do not transfer the money as I will loose all my money.

lol

Be careful out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Carzone is a joke, all I am getting from them is fraudsters. Wife doesn't believe me that they are fraudulent (thank God I am selling) so when I reply with this mail, you would think it would put them off:
    Since I advertised the car I had a small accident and I hit 2 pedestrians walking a donkey, unfortunately the donkey died. I have managed to get most of the blood off the bonnet and there is a bit of damage inside the car but I cleaned all the bone fragment and brain matter from the dashboard. I have attached photo's for your convenience. I will drop the price by 103 euro due to the damage.

Many thanks

Hugh Jarce

crash1wy3.jpg

Then I get this reply:
    Thank you for responding to my inquiry about the vehicle. However i want you to know that i'm purchasing the vehicle to be sold again to my client. I have shown him a picture of the vehicle and he's very much interested, i want you to please try to send me pictures of the interior as well. You don't have to worry about him, he's only a third party, as i will be making payment to you directly, i'm pleading for a deduction in the price, so please let me know your final deal. please understand that i have hearing problem that's why i'm doing this through email, so i'll be patiently waiting to hear from you, and then we'll proceed.

Hmmm guess I am right so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

RoboRat wrote: »
    Carzone is a joke, all I am getting from them is fraudsters. Wife doesn't believe me that they are fraudulent (thank God I am selling) so when I reply with this mail, you would think it would put them off:

crash1wy3.jpg

Then I get this reply:

Hmmm guess I am right so!

I'm hoping your wife needs no further persausion ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Perhaps we should name and shame shady dealers on this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

NO!

• Advertisement

Why not?

Are going to post your full name and address so you can be served with defamation proceedings?

Thought not!

Are going to post your full name and address so you can be served with defamation proceedings?

Thought not!

Don't understand what you are saying! There appears to be a grammatical error in your reply! Besides can you explain the difference between scammers and shady dealers?

Bottom line is no one will be named.

If you want to go naming people go set up your own website and sit back while your house is repossessed from all the defamation judgements that will be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't understand what you are saying! There appears to be a grammatical error in your reply! Besides can you explain the difference between scammers and shady dealers?

Because we do not know the full facts of the matter, we only get the story from an anonymous poster behind a keyboard. What happens if it turns out to be a load of porkies and a dealer's name gets incorrectly tarnished here that impacts their business?

Who do you think they are going to take legal proceedings against? Boards.ie for publishing slander. It's the same as taking out a full page advert in a newspaper telling people to avoid a certain business, it leaves you wide open to a world of legal action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

bazz26 wrote: »
    Because we do not know the full facts of the matter, we only get the story from an anonymous poster behind a keyboard. What happens if it turns out to be a load of porkies and a dealer's name gets incorrectly tarnished here that impacts their business?

Who do you think they are going to take legal proceedings against? Boards.ie for publishing slander. It's the same as taking out a full page advert in a newspaper telling people to avoid a certain business, it leaves you wide open to a world of legal action.

OK then, what about a case where a Boardsie takes a case,and gets a publicly recorded judgement in their favour - why can't this be published on Boards.ie?
    I mean, if a newspaper can publish court judgements, surely Boards.ie can?

Bottom line is no one will be named.

If you want to go naming people go set up your own website and sit back while your house is repossessed from all the defamation judgements that will be made.
    [/QUOTE

Calm down. There is no need to be so aggressive!
    I have no one in mind. I am merely asking a question , which incidentally you refuse to answer. What is the difference between a scammer and a shady dealer? In the interest of Boards.ie , can boards be sued by scammers also.? Should this thread exist ?

OK then, what about a case where a Boardsie takes a case,and gets a publicly recorded judgement in their favour - why can't this be published on Boards.ie?
    I mean, if a newspaper can publish court judgements, surely Boards.ie can?

See no reason why you cannot show link to court judgments? Perhaps Mod could advise, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

See no reason why you cannot show link to court judgments? Perhaps Mod could advise, please?
    As you are a relatively new member, you may not have noticed that Our man in Havana is a Category Moderator of Motoring.

You may also not be aware that a post by a forum moderator which is made in bold characters indicates that the post is made in a moderating capacity (rather than as a regular user of the forum, which most moderators usually are).

You may further not be aware that moderator posts should not be challenged on-thread.

@OmiH: Apologies for what might appear to be be back-seat moderating.

Post self-checked for grammatical errors, but please be aware that this factory is also used to make products that contain nuts.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3855746

''it is booked for the nct on fri 14 sep but after that it would be 600e more. cheapest on done deal...''. What a tool!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kbyte61

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3855746

''it is booked for the nct on fri 14 sep but after that it would be 600e more. cheapest on done deal...''. What a tool!

Yeah I saw that yesterday as well. So you pay 50euro for nct and then I'm supposed to pay an extra 600? :confused: Whatever bro :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

And they've gone and written the wrong mileage on the ad. When people see this, surely they think "Obviously it's done more than 143 miles... so what, 143,000 miles? Or is it just random?"
    But the number isn't meaningless - it's actually ~143,000 km on the clock (looks like the same car is on Carzone).

Why people do this is beyond me - I generally filter out anything less than 500 and greater than 100000 in searches, to try to exclude some of the con-artists and bangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭oinkely

Hey folks,
    Quick question for you all - the brother is selling his van on donedeal and gets a call from a guy in the UK interested in it. Asks a heap of questions about it and then agrees the price over the phone and will be over on the boat on thursday to pick it up as he is coming over to collect a pedigree dog or something.
    He is bringing cash and asked to meet at Dublin port so he can pick it up? Now i dunno if I am being a paranoid android but i immediately thought scam......

but what is it?

any ideas folks?

I said defo don't go on your own to deliver it, bring one of those fake money pens and count the money carefully?

Would he be better steering clear altogether?

thanks

I'd be suspicious from this point of view; whatever type of van it is, surely there is a far bigger selection of them in the UK- so why on earth would any genuine person go to the trouble of coming over here to buy one?
    You could apply the same logic to the "I'm coming over to buy a dog" cover story too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

oinkely wrote: »
    Hey folks,
    Quick question for you all - the brother is selling his van on donedeal and gets a call from a guy in the UK interested in it. Asks a heap of questions about it and then agrees the price over the phone and will be over on the boat on thursday to pick it up as he is coming over to collect a pedigree dog or something.
    He is bringing cash and asked to meet at Dublin port so he can pick it up? Now i dunno if I am being a paranoid android but i immediately thought scam......

but what is it?

any ideas folks?

I said defo don't go on your own to deliver it, bring one of those fake money pens and count the money carefully?

Would he be better steering clear altogether?

thanks

Where you off to?

I'm off to see a man about a dog.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

oinkely wrote: »

Those pens don't work. You could draw an episode of the simpsons on notes with them and it still wouldn't tell if it's a fake or not. The only real way to check is UV light

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Your brother should insist on doing the deal in his bank (fup meeting in the port), and have the cash lodged to his account before completing the deal.

He should also find out beforehand how he should proceed with regard to the registration cert - should he still send it to Shannon, is there any special form to use when the vehicle is supposedly being exported etc. etc.

He should keep photocopies of every piece of paper involved - including the buyer's driving licence, and passport if available. Photographs too. Might sound paranoid, but if the buyer is genuine they should not have a problem with any of that.

Tbh, without knowing why, I smell a rat somehow.....

Edit: Get the phone number of the dog seller beforehand, and give them a call too.

Not your ornery onager

I'd be suspicious from this point of view; whatever type of van it is, surely there is a far bigger selection of them in the UK- so why on earth would any genuine person go to the trouble of coming over here to buy one?
    Exactly my thinking... not only do they have a far bigger selection, but they're usually a lot cheaper over there.

If anything, you'd expect to see people going over there to buy cars and bring them back here, to try to work around the excessive taxes we pay?

He should also find out beforehand how he should proceed with regard to the registration cert - should he still send it to Shannon, is there any special form to use when the vehicle is supposedly being exported etc. etc.
    Shannon won't record any change of ownership where a non resident is involved.

Shannon won't record any change of ownership where a non resident is involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

I smell a rat too.... I have often looked at buying a car in the UK and notice that cars & commercials are far cheaper... and that is taking into consideration that I would have to pay VRT when I import the car.

it would be very strange that someone from the UK would pay our crazy inflated prices and then import it back into the UK at additional cost.

The suggestion of lodging it directly into the bank seems a good one if it is cash.... although on the day I suspect you may be offered a check, money order or bank draft. When you present these to your bank and it appears lodged it doesn't mean the transaction is completed the bank processes the transaction on your good faith and doesn't accepts responsibility if there is a issue or problem that may not surface for number of days.

Best of luck but I think you will have better luck selling elsewhere

visual wrote: »
    The suggestion of lodging it directly into the bank seems a good one if it is cash.... although on the day I suspect you may be offered a check, money order or bank draft. When you present these to your bank and it appears lodged it doesn't mean the transaction is completed the bank processes the transaction on your good faith and doesn't accepts responsibility if there is a issue or problem that may not surface for number of days.
    Let's not forget that scam where the scammer put a non-existent item on eBay at a bargain price (which happens to be the asking price for your car).
    They have the "winning" bidder pay by bank transfer into YOUR bank account.
    Then the scammer asks you if you've received payment for the car - which it seems that you have - and you hand over the keys etc.

Several weeks later, your bank calls you to say that the police have contacted them about an eBay bidder not receiving their laptop/etc despite having paid you via bank transfer. Of course, you have to return that money, and the car is long gone with the scammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭oinkely

Thanks for all the advise folks,
    The brother rang the guy back and said he would collect him in the port and they would head to a bank to lodge the cash. The guy had no problem at all with that. So he picked him up (along with the buyers girlfriend) and as it was 6.30am took them back to his house for a while.
    All worked out perfectly. The guy was looking for a good condition T4 to convert to a camper and as the brothers had only 80K with almost FSH he was happy to get it. Full price paid, no messing no haggling. Cash all safely lodged in bank and everyone is happy.
    Just shows ya, htere are some honest folk out there.......
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

that was a surprise to hear as I was almost certain it was a scam
    glad to hear that it wasn't :) well done just goes to show you not everyone is a crook :D

• Advertisement

26660689.jpg

Advertisement