Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Guys watch out for this scamming bastid in Galway:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4114902

and: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4063922

It's the same car, both reg's are: 04G3457 and 04DL3458.

Same car, probably clocked.

As the first one had mileage of 141k when I viewed it last week. Then the second one appeared. If you look closely at the NCT disc, you see the reg of the first one.

Reported to DD anyway, and have screenshots of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

FFS yer wan in Donedeal said "we can't see any evidence" of anything wrong, how blind can you be :rolleyes:

I've explained again what's up with them, is it hard to see? Not for me, do others think so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Col200sx wrote: »
    FFS yer wan in Donedeal said "we can't see any evidence" of anything wrong, how blind can you be :rolleyes:

I've explained again what's up with them, is it hard to see? Not for me, do others think so?

Maybe give a call to Guards, they will find out, what the story with those corolas ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Whyever did this thread stop? It was very interesting.

What happened ourmaninHavana? Account closed? Is he ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

Hi,
    Does anyone know of a scam whereby the following scenario is played out.

I'm looking for a car on CBG and come across a too good to be true deal. After contacting the private seller, it turns out he's an irish guy moved to Poland along with his Irish reg car, and has found it too expensive to register and difficult to drive there (right hand drive of course). He will sell only through ebay/paypal and once delivered to Ireland the buyer has a few days to inspect the car before giving ebay the nod to release the funds to the seller, all documents are sent with the car. I did a motor check on the Reg and all seems ok, its actually a UK import just a few months after its original reg in the UK, but has had 1 owner since. I'm also getting the guards to do a check on the reg'd owner.

Am I mad to even be thinking about this (which is all I'm doing at the moment). Its the car I've been searching for and is coming in around 5k instead of 8-9k based on others seen on the net.

Any advice appreciated....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hi,
    Does anyone know of a scam whereby the following scenario is played out.

I'm looking for a car on CBG and come across a too good to be true deal. After contacting the private seller, it turns out he's an irish guy moved to Poland along with his Irish reg car, and has found it too expensive to register and difficult to drive there (right hand drive of course). He will sell only through ebay/paypal and once delivered to Ireland the buyer has a few days to inspect the car before giving ebay the nod to release the funds to the seller, all documents are sent with the car. I did a motor check on the Reg and all seems ok, its actually a UK import just a few months after its original reg in the UK, but has had 1 owner since. I'm also getting the guards to do a check on the reg'd owner.

Am I mad to even be thinking about this (which is all I'm doing at the moment). Its the car I've been searching for and is coming in around 5k instead of 8-9k based on others seen on the net.

Any advice appreciated....

Run away. It's a scam.

Run away. It's a scam.

Wow, that was quick. Thanks for the advice.... have you heard of this before?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Wow, that was quick. Thanks for the advice.... have you heard of this before?

Not specifically. It has all the hallmarks though - too good to be true - foreign involvement - paypal/ebay/western union. Chances are it's stolen/cloned, or won't be delivered and they'll try and get your money.

If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck chances are it's a duck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

...... and is coming in around 5k instead of 8-9k based on others seen on the net.

Enough said, it stinks.

Tell him to print a page of todays indo or irish times off the net and place it beside the chassis number and email a picture of it. Make him work for his scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

if you have the time to go back through the 100 pages or so it was mentioned in this thread a few times

yes its a scam.

There is no car there may be photos of someones else car copied from internet but there is no car for sale.

the con is how you pay for it, you send your money to a fake escrow account / bank that you release the money to the seller only when your happy with car.

What happens in reality is once you send the money its gone.
    Seller can't be traced the car never existed or if it can be tracked down its belong to someone else who is totally unaware of this scam and photos of their car was used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

We are treating any enquiries on this car at Motorcheck as scam related.

cheers folks, I should have gone back through the posts but there were just so many! anyway, I received very similar emails to those shown in the previous posts, so might string them along for a bit of craic while I'm at it... lesson learned by me!

cheers folks, I should have gone back through the posts but there were just so many! anyway, I received very similar emails to those shown in the previous posts, so might string them along for a bit of craic while I'm at it... lesson learned by me!

My advice. Don't even waste your time . There are probably a dozen suckers already wasting their time. Save your effort and time for locating the right car for you. Hopefully you will find the right car,remember it is a buyers market.
    Best Wishes

Update: Following a check with the guards, the car has a completely different registered owner and location as suspected. So some guy is unaware a pic of his car is being used in a scam on CBG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tubas

Hi everyone,

I have a car for sell in Donedeal / Gumtree and about 1 hour ago I got a text asking about the car and my address - which raised some alarm bells on my head. Poor English and an apology about it.

I reply back saying "if you want to see the car call me tomorrow and we'll meet somewhere, car is usually in the general area of xxxxx".

Get an email back: can we meet now? - this was at 22:30.

Anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Tubas wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I have a car for sell in Donedeal / Gumtree and about 1 hour ago I got a text asking about the car and my address - which raised some alarm bells on my head. Poor English and an apology about it.

I reply back saying "if you want to see the car call me tomorrow and we'll meet somewhere, car is usually in the general area of xxxxx".

Get an email back: can we meet now? - this was at 22:30.

Anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks!

I would just tell them no. If they have a genuine interest they won't have a problem coming tomorrow. I suspect they probably won't though. Best of luck with the sale :)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

Steer well clear. Sounds like a car jacking scam. You probably have a specific car they want. Very easy for them to take it when you arrive with the keys.
    Only meet in public places & in daylight. Or somewhere with plenty of cameras like a garage forecourt etc. I wouldn't give anymore details to this caller.
    Anyway, avoid this one. Plenty more genuine calls will follow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭Esel

barochoc wrote: »
    Steer well clear. Sounds like a car jacking scam. You probably have a specific car they want. Very easy for them to take it when you arrive with the keys.
    Only meet in public places & in daylight. Or somewhere with plenty of cameras like a garage forecourt etc. I wouldn't give anymore details to this caller.
    What a scare-mongering post (assuming the above is a reply to the post by Tubas above). Car-jacking? Car they want? And you advise meeting at a garage forecourt? Right....

This is a thread about scams.

Not your ornery onager

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    I would just tell them no. If they have a genuine interest they won't have a problem coming tomorrow. I suspect they probably won't though. Best of luck with the sale :)

Didn't even reply... He didn't insist either.

barochoc wrote: »

Well... I doubt there is too much interest in car jacking a 10 year old 1 liter engine small hatchback... Even for use in a robbery it's probably too slow to manage to get away! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

might not be the right place to post but, Im interested a car but on the advert the number plate has been photo shopped (english plate), also he said he has been driving it in Ireland for a few years and has requested the lost log book from the DVLA (UK).
    EDIT - Oh and Ill have to VRT it.
    Is anything at all fishy about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

platinums wrote: »
    might not be the right place to post but, Im interested a car but on the advert the number plate has been photo shopped (english plate), also he said he has been driving it in Ireland for a few years and has requested the lost log book from the DVLA (UK).

Is it just blanking out the numbers or have they changed the numbers. Eitherway no log book is going to be a headache and would set alarm bells ringing.

platinums wrote: »

No log book!

Has been driving an English Reg car in Ireland for a few years!

Yes it is very fishy.

There are plenty of genuine motors on the market for sale. I would not get involved with this one.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Hi All,

Have my Peugeot 206 for sale and got a bid for it so emailed the guy and im just a little concerned.. Lives in UK says working abroad and buying it for his son..

Agreed a price will pay by Paypal and get a shipping company to come collect it..

Is this too good to be true or a complete scam! The tone of his emails aswell (Marine biologist) in Tasmin sea.. Anyone else get this..

Mad to sell the car but this one just seems odd.. Anyone else have this experience.. Gave me his address in UK..

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

100% scam

Ya i was fairly sure myself just wanted clarification

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

What year is the car and how much or just link to the advert to see if we help you shift it .

Its 2004 Car.. Got it fully Serviced and Pre NCT Tested from the garage last week cost me a fair packet but anyway Here is the link.. If you knew of anyone interest id be delighted.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/peugeot/206/2004-peugeot-206-for-sale/5523933

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Brad1234 wrote: »
    Its 2004 Car.. Got it fully Serviced and Pre NCT Tested from the garage last week cost me a fair packet but anyway Here is the link.. If you knew of anyone interest id be delighted.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/peugeot/206/2004-peugeot-206-for-sale/5523933

It's definitely a scam.

Although I would play along with him.
    Make up a new paypal account and email and don't give any personal details.

A similar scam happened to me when I was selling my car, but they were paying by check. They sent me an obviously false cheque with over 2,000 euro amount we had agreed. Then I was to western union them the 2,000 euro back

I tore up the cheque and sent them an email saying it will cost me 75 euro to send the 2,000 euro by western Union to them (it doesnt)

And to make a long story short, They sent me 75 euro by western union!!!

I scammed the scammer! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your wasting your time trying to sell it over on adverts for a start, most over there have more time on their hands than money and will want you to swap it for junk they are trying to get rid of. Donedeal.ie has a wider audience though you will encounter a lot of scams and tyre kickers there also.

Advertisement