Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Dia1988 wrote: »
    It's definitely a scam.

Although I would play along with him.
    Make up a new paypal account and email and don't give any personal details.
    I wouldn't do that or you could find yourself caught up in a rip off being perpetrated on some other innocent. The way I understand this scam works is that you agree to sell your car for X and then the scammer puts something up for sale on eBay at a 'Buy It Now' price of X. He lists something that can be sent through the post or by courier; maybe a Macbook Pro or something like that. He gives your address for the Paypal payment the other person being scammed sends you the money but then complains to Paypal a couple of weeks later when the laptop doesn't arrive and you get the money taken back out of your Paypal account and become the subject of a fraud investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

bazz26 wrote: »
    Your wasting your time trying to sell it over on adverts for a start, most over there have more time on their hands than money and will want you to swap it for junk they are trying to get rid of. Donedeal.ie has a wider audience though you will encounter a lot of scams and tyre kickers there also.

I have it on done deal and car zone also so just want to sell it off, so if anyone interested let me know. But ya noticed a lot of spam coming in about it. Always be cautious when a fella continuously emails you and no phone number exchanged. I reported the chap anyway and got reply saying he's basically a scam artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

Inquiries on a very cheap 5 Series advertised online gets this response. See below.
    A similar response appeared 3 years ago on another thread.
    They are still at it now.
    No contact number, Car in Germany, No Inspection as it's locked in storage, payment over eBay etc....
    Fools & their Money are easily parted.

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014
    Subject: 2013 BMW 520 M-Pack
    To: *********

Sorry for late reply but my phone has broken. My name is *********** and I am the owner of the 2013 BMW 520 M-Pack. I can confirm that the car is clear and is not subject damages what so ever and I am the registered keeper and there is no outstanding finance on the vehicle.

Regarding the condition, there are no stone chips or anything on the front, no dents or knocks anywhere, I also think the good condition is reflected the car's low mileage for the age. Inside is perfect, very, very clean car.

The reason of sale is that I've got a new job in Germany and the registration tax is much higher than I expected. The car is here as well. The final price is 17,000 € + shipping to your door. For an accurate shipping cost please include your shipping address in your next email.(shipping will be no more than 300€).

As you probably noticed, the price is rather low. I was unable to register it here as the fees are too high, being an Irish model and not even a dealer will offer me a better price here. The fact that it's still Ireland registered did not help either. Due to amount involved and due the fact I am not located in Ireland anymore, I only accept transaction through eBay.
    Please feel free to email any other questions, which I will do my best to answer.

Kind Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 35 medikate

the steps may have been outlined before, however heres mine from this morning

I received a txt showing interest in my car on carzone.
    The sender requested I email them back as opposed to text.
    I emailed them back to arrange a viewing and this was the reply

Ive ammended the URLS

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Hi,
    Having checked the listing, i must say the Car is okay by me. I am also willing to go with the price. I would have called to discuss this but i am presently at Sea serving in the Navy and there's a restriction on phone calls here. I am buying the Car for my brother and i want it to be a surprise gift. I have a shipping agent who will come for the pick up. Unfortunately the agent cannot bring cash or pay on my behalf as he doesn't handle third party payments.

I cannot access and transfer funds online from my bank account as am yet to get it activated but i have my account already attached to my paypal so i can pay with that, i am going to have to pay via Paypal which is a fast, safe and reliable method of payment. if you don't have a PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www(dot)paypal(dot)com and set it up, after you have set it up I will only need you to send me a Paypal money request to my paypal email address anntrevor@ outlook(dot) com so i can make payment.

Kind Regards,
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Obviously or maybe not so obviously, as soon as they have your address you use for paypal via the paypal money request, they will then send you a fake paypal email with a fake paypal link to log into.
    This link will bring you to a "fake paypal" page requesting your paypal login details.
    As soon as the scammer has the login details they have access to your paypal account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DinoD

I received the exact same email, word for word, as you medikate. I have ignored it and definitely won't be replying after seeing your post!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Just had the exact same crap email today. At sea with navy etc etc ....

I will not reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 macca magic

Hey Brad1234

Yes I got the exact same email as medikate above. Said they seen my car on carzone also.

I'm glad I came across this topic as I was wondering the same as yourself. It is a complete scam.

Good luck with the sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Redtop wrote: »
    Inquiries on a very cheap 5 Series advertised online gets this response. See below.
    A similar response appeared 3 years ago on another thread.
    They are still at it now.
    No contact number, Car in Germany, No Inspection as it's locked in storage, payment over eBay etc....
    Fools & their Money are easily parted.

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014
    Subject: 2013 BMW 520 M-Pack
    To: *********

Sorry for late reply but my phone has broken. My name is *********** and I am the owner of the 2013 BMW 520 M-...

The reason of sale is that I've got a new job in Germany and the registration tax is much higher than I expected. The car is here as well. The final price is 17,000 € + shipping to your door. For an accurate shipping cost please include your shipping address in your next email.(shipping will be no more than 300€).

There is no registration tax in Germany for vehicles that are older than 6 months, when imported from another EU country, as far as I know. Just in case the scam wasn't obvious - you'd think those scammers at least do their research? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

galah wrote: »
    There is no registration tax in Germany for vehicles that are older than 6 months, when imported from another EU country, as far as I know. Just in case the scam wasn't obvious - you'd think those scammers at least do their research? :rolleyes:

Was watching Wheeler Dealers the other night, mike mentioned something about cars in Germany having to conform to tougher emissions tests making their older cars cheaper to buy, I'd imagine if you import a car there you'd be hit by that though. Have to see if I can research it later when not on the phone

EDIT Home now so just checking, wouldn't affect a 2013 BMW but an older classic as in Series5 Eps1 with a Mercedes 280SL had this to say
    Purchased in Germany. Car originally had no MOT in Germany due to the lack of a catalytic converter. First car purchased over the planned budget. Restoration price includes £400 travel expense and a credit of £135 from selling the aftermarket wheels and steering wheel.

So was cheaper to buy in Germany because of the cost of fitting a catalytic converter, so if you were to import to Germany you'd need to fit a cat to any non cat cars

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

galah wrote: »
    There is no <snipped>
    Let us not help the scammers to polish their act! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Just received this email in regards to a car that I'm selling. I'm just curious about how exactly the scam works.

Thank you for the mail, I'm interested in buying this and i will
    paying you the asking price so consider it sold,i will like you to be
    honest with me because i will not be available to come for inspects
    due to nature of my work, Honestly i am buying this for my Dad, but
    the issue is I'm a NAVY and i just got a deployed which starts
    tomorrow and am leaving any moment from now.It's strictly no call due
    to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email
    any time as we will make use of computer so my only quickest payment
    option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal since I'm requesting
    this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all
    the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an
    account with PayPal,its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. I
    hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that
    will come for it once payment clears and they will be handling the
    title for me. So please kindly get back to me with the details below
    so that i can proceed with the payment as soon as possible... I look
    forward to hear from you soon.

1) Your PayPal account Email Address
    2) Your Picked Up Location Address

Regards

Rapson

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I think you get a link to a fake paypal site!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

They send you a fake paypal email saying you got your payment in the hope that you don't check you paypal account. I don't know how it works with cars but some fella got caught with his phone a few years ago he got the email saying payment received then sent off his phone when he finally checked his paypal the payment was never made. I presume with cars they over pay you and look for a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Or they send you too much money and ask you to refund the difference. The only thing is they withdraw the payment leaving you out of pocket for the amount they over paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ddoylers

weiland79 wrote: »
    Just received this email in regards to a car that I'm selling. I'm just curious about how exactly the scam works.

Thank you for the mail, I'm interested in buying this and i will
    paying you the asking price so consider it sold,i will like you to be
    honest with me because i will not be available to come for inspects
    due to nature of my work, Honestly i am buying this for my Dad, but
    the issue is I'm a NAVY and i just got a deployed which starts
    tomorrow and am leaving any moment from now.It's strictly no call due
    to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email
    any time as we will make use of computer so my only quickest payment
    option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal since I'm requesting
    this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all
    the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an
    account with PayPal,its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. I
    hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that
    will come for it once payment clears and they will be handling the
    title for me. So please kindly get back to me with the details below
    so that i can proceed with the payment as soon as possible... I look
    forward to hear from you soon.

1) Your PayPal account Email Address
    2) Your Picked Up Location Address

Regards

Rapson

Ive been through this a couple of times.. just go along with him . Set up paypal then he'll deposit the money in your paypal acc. You can see balance there but you can withdraw till he clears it on his side
    Anyway next he'll ask you to transfer hole amount using western transfer union. Thats were you tell him to politely **** OFF.!
    you tranfer money to him and he just cancels paypal. Simple. Love wrecking these guys heads . Ask em loads questions like wats paypal, wats a computer. Let on you've loads of money then just wen they tink they have you
    Hit em with .GET THE ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Always amazes me that some scammer somewhere didn't take the time to have their scam email proof read and corrected :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

ironclaw wrote: »
    Always amazes me that some scammer somewhere didn't take the time to have their scam email proof read and corrected :confused:

They are deliberately badly written to weed out the people who won't fall for them, if the email is well written they get more responses most of which would result in wasted time. Badly written they only get thick ****es and cute whores that think they are clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

ScottStorm wrote: »
    They are deliberately badly written to weed out the people who won't fall for them, if the email is well written they get more responses most of which would result in wasted time. Badly written they only get thick ****es and cute whores that think they are clever.

To be fair... that's very clever

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

ScottStorm wrote: »

That's actually a good slant on it. Never thought about it that way. Would be an interesting experiment actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

fantastic place to read about all kind scams, and how to protect ourselves ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 logien

I put my car up on DoneDeal this week and got a text originating from an email account. A 'George Harper' wanting to buy my car and ship it. He asked to pay via paypal and was very keen to buy to car quickly. My boyfriend got the same message at the same time. Considering our cars are completely different and completely different prices we were pretty convinced it was a scam, then I found this post and was fully convinced.

Just said I'd comment on it again so people are aware of the new name being used. George.harper61 @gmail was the email used.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

,lovely cheap golf

kpTOH6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Fair play to done deal, they have gone a step further than just straight deleting those ads. About time!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Fair play to done deal, they have gone a step further than just straight deleting those ads. About time!

Which is?

They email anyone who has messaged the seller.

zZ3aOa.jpg

And we're back. This time in Galway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Tompatrick

Anyone ever ring them for the craic?

Already gone. 7 minutes. Good stuff donedeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Terryodea

Hello, Im looking around for a nice van from a dealer but they seem to be mostly English registered, the price is including vat 12,550 euro and seems within 500 euro of the same van with irish plates give or take, is there something I should be concerned about that I am unaware of with imported UK vans, The particular van is two years old fiat ducato 90,000 miles, spotless, the floor has a tin plastic covering over two inches of dense foam insulation (standered) where the drivers heels have dug two heel shaped holes in the floor down to the steel floor underneath ( heavy dirty working boots id say) but the drivers seat is in great condition ie no were and tear, he's not a main dealer but a fairly big place there about two years in that premises, should he be ok with me putting the van through a CRVT/DOE myself? is this allowed? should the dealer be ok with a bankers draft or postal order for payment? thanks very much

Advertisement