Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

vicool wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Can I get some advice pls:

I was looking for a car and I've found this 'great deal' a 07 vw passat... anyway owner in USA, car in Liverpool,brother died, you know the usual and of course Western Union as well but when he said I should give him the Transfer Number I refused saying that this is a scam and he can use fake ID to withdraw the money and I also requested a scan with the car's documents (ownership).
    At this stage he replied that all he wants is too see the receipt of the transfer without the number (number covered when scanned) and he e-mailed me the car's documents with his name on it, so everything looks fine.I have also checked the car with the Gardai and they said the car is not stolen and gave me the details of the car without the owner's name.
    I am suppose to make the transfer on my name today an meet him on Thursday on Livarpool so can I get some good advice please!
    Thanx everyone!

I have some crates of Snake Oil that may interest you...

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Beware!!! If you buy these cars your brother will emigrate and you will die :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stoneyman

It is SCAM!

I got a message today as follows. What is new that the guy included his phone number-and i called and it is the real one. No doubt.

Anyone thinks the cops can track him down with this? A friend of mine was scammed by exactly this guy 4 wks ago, and lost 4,000.
    I dont wanna put the number here since I reported this to the cops and dont wanna spoil anything.
    I am able to come myself with the car somewhere in Dublin.
    I will not ask for money in advance, but you must reserve the car and I will come only if you are decided to buy it because as i said i am in Germany, working here and don`t want to loose precious time...
    To make sure you want to buy this car I require that you arrange a deposit paid on your name for the price of the car in Liverpool UK.
    With regard to the deposit, there is a service very fast and easy to use, the name of service is Western Union, it is a service to send money and you will find it in your city. All that you must do is to ask a person that you trust to go to a Western Union with the cash and to send it to Liverpool to your name as receiver.
    You can go with your wife or a best friend at a local Western Union office and ask her/him to send the money to your name in Liverpool England.
    Nobody can pick up the money from Liverpool, only you as a receiver.
    Once money are sent to your name in Liverpool you will have to send me a copy of the transfer so i can see that with my eyes.
    When everything is done, i`ll go to Liverpool, take the car and drive it to Ireland. When we meet you will have time to make a test drive, check car`s history or any other test you require. If car is as expected, in good condition we will go together at the Western Union office and the sender (wife or friend) can take back the money and you can pay me in cash or your name as the receiver in Liverpool will be changed into my name and i can pick up the money when i return to Liverpool.
    Until then You will be the receiver of the money and nobody can pick up the money from Liverpool.
    Hope you understand my concerns as i do not want to loose my time.
    If you want to give me a call you can reach me at +44752206XXX (UK number).
    Please don't call me to spend my time with endless discussions or pure curiosity. Call me only if you agree with my option.

Thank you and looking forward to have a nice and pleasant transaction.

Regards,
    Daniel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stoneyman

Again me - further up i read that Gardai investigate this.

Any clue who, where, ...telephone numbers, email addresses?

I believe this telephone number might be a hot hint! Or am I wrong?? Cant they track mobiles down to a few metres??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'm thinking of moving to Northern Cyprus, and getting into a new line of work. There's money to be made on this here internet thingie!

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

stoneyman wrote: »
    Again me - further up i read that Gardai investigate this.

Any clue who, where, ...telephone numbers, email addresses?

I believe this telephone number might be a hot hint! Or am I wrong?? Cant they track mobiles down to a few metres??

http://www.garda.ie/gbfi.html

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

I've a car listed on a few sites that I'm trying to sell. There's not been much interest (unsurprisingly given the state of the economy) but I have had email from 2 people who seemed _very_ keen to buy. They both said they'd pay asking price and both of them asked for a scan of the registration document to "verify that I owned the car"

Now, I'm not paranoid, but this sounded a bit suspicious to me. I replied that they could see the docs when they came to view the car, but neither party seemed interested in viewing, they just wanted the photos.

I can't quite see what the scam might be, but I'm still suspicious - has anyone else had similar requests, and do they think its legit?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Scam, scam, scam.

Anyone who is willing to pay the asking price without haggling or viewing the car is yanking your chain or a complete idiot.

Under no circumstances let them near your registration documents, they will probably try to use them as forgeries on a similar car to yours that they are pretending to sell to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah, i call scam. They'd want the documents to steal your identity and steal your ad, ie it;s photos and specs etc, then to make it look legit they'd include a copy of your registration document. If they're not prepared to see the car in the flesh, then they're not going to buy it. And the fact that they'd offer asking without seeing it is crazy

EDIT::Ddamn you bazz, SNAP! hhaha

• Registered Users Posts: 24 magoo1234

sounds like a scam all right! they could be possibly trying to get your details to poss clone your car witha robbed yolk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

It sounds like a scam to me. I mean who would offer to pay the asking price of a car without having seen it? I'll bet they're not irish either or want teh car shipped to some other country?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

tell them that they can see the reg docs only in real life. since its illegalto reproduce and distribute legal documents (*shrugs* :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

Dont mind me asking but,what type of car is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

What difference do you think that'll make?

AudiChris wrote: »
    What difference do you think that'll make?
    Well if its a decent car like a bmw m5 etc..then good chance they want the reg to track it to the address:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

Its nothing special - a Citroen C4. It seems that all they're after is a copy of the registration documents. One person even promised to send me eur1000 to 'reserve' the car once I'd sent them a scan of the registration documents!

stiofanD wrote: »
    Its nothing special - a Citroen C4. It seems that all they're after is a copy of the registration documents. One person even promised to send me eur1000 to 'reserve' the car once I'd sent them a scan of the registration documents!
    Some cheek of them.Try arrange and meet them and kick the c*ap out of them sc*m:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1239394

That has to be dodgy or are they really going that cheap. I thought it'd be on UK plates before I opened the page

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

ninty9er wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1239394

That has to be dodgy or are they really going that cheap. I thought it'd be on UK plates before I opened the page
    You really need to ask :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

fullstop wrote: »
    You really need to ask :confused:

Remind me again what the purpose of the thread is??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

stoneyman wrote: »
    It is SCAM!

I got a message today as follows. What is new that the guy included his phone number-and i called and it is the real one. No doubt.

Anyone thinks the cops can track him down with this? A friend of mine was scammed by exactly this guy 4 wks ago, and lost 4,000.
    I dont wanna put the number here since I reported this to the cops and dont wanna spoil anything.

People actually fall for this? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

:eek:
    People actually fall for this? :confused:

+1.
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

http://www.carzone.ie/es-ie/search/BMW/5-Series/200842190523166/advert

"If we reach an agreement, the BMW will be delivered directly to your address. I will cover the shipping and insurance fees. It will be delivered by boat to the nearest port in your area and then by truck to your address. It will take about 10-12 days to get to you.
    To speed up the process I am telling you in advance that for payment I intend to use iloxx.de, the most reliable escrow service in Europe; they will provide the highest security for this type of transaction.
    The transaction will be fully under their surveillance, giving us both security and insurance that nothing will go wrong. They will be the third party involved in this deal.
    This way you will actually pay for the car after you will receive and test it, because they will hold the funds and release it to me only after you accept and confirm the delivery.
    After the BMW gets to you, you will have 7 days to test it. Within this period you have to decide if you purchase it or not.
    This way you will actually pay for the car after you inspect it, because illox will secure the money in their account.
    If you decide to take it you will have to contact iloxx and let them know that so they can release the payment to me. If you won't like it you will have to ship it back to me within the 7 days and iloxx will refund you. The shipping back will be done on my own expense, but I am sure this will not be the case.
    The car is crated and ready to be shipped with all papers and documentation on board including the vehicle documents, full service history, two sets of keys etc. I had a buyer who wanted to purchase so I made the shipping arrangements but in the end he told me that he did not have enough funds available.
    I didn't want to waste the money already paid for the crate, so I decided to leave the vehicle in the container because I was sure I will find another buyer fast."

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Go ahead and buy that BMW. What a bargain :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

ninty9er wrote: »
    Remind me again what the purpose of the thread is??

To attempt to prevent the criminally gullible being ripped off? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 charles.ivie

i recieved this message about an audi TT, and im in the UK. I dont know how they could scam it using a ligitimate escrow service, but hey........

If we reach an agreement, the car will be delivered directly to your address. It will be delivered by boat to the nearest port in your area and then by truck to your shipping address.It will take about 12 days to get to you.The total price including shipping and insurance would be around £6650,as I would cover most of the fees.

To speed up the process I am telling you in advance that for payment I intend to use iloxx.de, the most reliable escrow service in Europe; they will provide the highest security for this type of transactions.

The transaction will be fully under their surveillance, giving us both security and insurance that nothing will go wrong. They will be the third party involved in this deal.
    This way you will actually pay for the car after you will receive and test it,because they will hold the funds and release it to me only after you accept and confirm the delivery.
    After the car gets to you,you will have 10 days to test it. Within this period you have to decide if you purchase it or not.
    This way you will actually pay for the car after you inspect it,because illox will secure the money in their account.

If you decide to take it you will have to contact Iloxx and let them know that so they can release the payment to me. If you won't like it you will have to ship it back to me within the 10 days and Iloxx will refund you. The shipping back will be done on my own expense,but I am sure this will not be the case.

The car is crated ready to be shipped with all papers and documentation on board including the vehicle documents,full service history,two sets of keys etc. I had a buyer who wanted to purchase so I made the shipping arrangements but in the end he told me that he did not have enough funds available.
    I didn't want to waste the money already paid for the crate, so I decided to leave the vehicle in the container because I was sure I will find another buyer fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭Esel

i recieved this message about an audi TT, and im in the UK. I dont know how they could scam it using a ligitimate escrow service, but hey.........
    You're taking the scammer's word that the escrow service is above board. Want to buy a bridge? I have several on sale! :D

Not your ornery onager

It is a legitimate escrow service, called iloxx (a german company) that i have used in the past. I'm not saying that I'm an idiot that will buy a scam, I'm saying that its quite a good scam cos they are using a legit escrow service. so watch out people!!!!

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

How do they get the money released if you have not approved it??

• Advertisement

Exactly!!! how on earth would they make it work???? they are either very stupid or very clever!

Advertisement