Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal abuse in State Benefits Forum.

Options
  • 23-06-2008 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭

I want to raise the issue of rampant personal abuse that is going on in the State Benefits Forum.

Examples:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055256212&page=1

This whole thread should be deleted and the OP apologised to.

And searching through the 1st page yeilds more and more personal directed abuse and insults.

An SMod or CMod needs to have a look at the forum or the mod needs to be brought back into the fold as the local mods for the forum have been online for weeks at this stage and the entire forum is falling into mayhem.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Did you report the posts or pm the mods?

Edit: Blackbriar has been extremely active over the past few weeks btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Both. An its been going on for weeks.

Noted that Blackbriar has been active however not in the State Benefits forum.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

An SMod or CMod needs to have a look at the forum

Drop BB a PM with your concerns.

B

Will do B. Just wanted to give a heads up that thigns are getting very nasty in there.

• Advertisement

Noted that Blackbriar has been active however not in the State Benefits forum.

He was away for the last few days, hence may have missed your reported posts.

Will do B. Just wanted to give a heads up that thigns are getting very nasty in there.

I just looked at the last page of that thread.
    BB left his comments there with regards to the thread, there have only been two comments posted since he did that... :confused:

Hence, he has already dealt with it last April.

That was just an example.
    The forum overall is littered with responses of "Get a f'n job waster" from people attempting to get advice on the forum. It just seems to be very lax in the letting people behave like that.
    The forum was supposed to be somewhere people can go for advice and now its just a we bash the OP forum. Not really helpful for people that aint in the best of situations. Its the kind of board that needs to be heavily moderated and people need to be warned that certain behaviour is not acceptable.
    Im not here to bash any mods or any posters indivually, more to point out the fact that the forum as a place to come for advice is not really happening and that OP's are getting lamblasted by the same people again and again and they dont seem to be getting warnings or any action being taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

I don't think that 'get a job' posts should be allowed in the state benefits forum, but that's my personal view.

For example this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055304826

the OP was asking a question and then people derail the thread by saying things like 'just get a job'. Surely the forum wasn't intended for that?

[/imo]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I don't think that 'get a job' posts should be allowed in the state benefits forum, but that's my personal view.

For example this thread:

the OP was asking a question and then people derail the thread by saying things like 'just get a job'. Surely the forum wasn't intended for that?

[/imo]
    Fully agree.

It's almost like those weirdos who go onto the Fashion & Appearance forum and reply to any threads regarding brands/brand name clothing complaining about how brands are destroying the world etc etc. except in the case of the Social Welfare forum it's abuse of the OP.

• Advertisement

(Changed thread title as I felt It was too personal against the mods in question)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

For example this thread:

[/imo]

+1. While in real life I tend to lean towards the "get a job" side, on a forum that's specifically for State Benefits I think it's trolling tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thats disgraceful behaviour in that thread. The forum should be moderated in the same vein as PI with a zero tolerance attitude.

The admin team are really going to have to invest in a stable with a tall roof for all the high horses that roam the site!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

In forums like after hours, a good thread is actually to go off-topic. For fora such as the State Benefits forum, the thread is thee specifically to either (a) discuss a thread or (b) to ask a question and get an answer.

Making a suggestion is fair and great, but actually telling him to get a job, baddy bah blah is not necessary. The OP isn't working for a reason (in most cases). Until people actually know the reason, it's a small bit premature to start throwing accusations around calling the people wasters and whatever.

I've received no pm from the op of this thread.
    I have infracted several users in the first thread weeks ago.
    Ordinary users wouldn't know this.
    One of the posters refered to above is currently banned from the forum

I've got 1 reported post in the last month from that forum if memory serves and that was from today and it had already been dealt with weeks ago.

So the options were and are 1. Report posts-not done.
    2. PM the mods-not done either.

Last port of call should be here to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

The people posting abusive messages on that thread should be utterly ashamed of themselves.

I can't believe that people think like that in this day and age.

I was embarrassed for them, tbh.

I've received no pm from the op of this thread.
    I have infracted several users in the first thread weeks ago.
    Ordinary users wouldn't know this.
    One of the posters refered to above is currently banned from the forum

I've got 1 reported post in the last month from that forum if memory serves and that was from today and it had already been dealt with weeks ago.

So the options were and are 1. Report posts-not done.
    2. PM the mods-not done either.

Last port of call should be here to be honest.

Well in all honesty the forum is awash with people being let away wth everything. As said above the forum needs to be policed with a no tolerance policy and thats just not being done.

The attitude and feeling is just being left to fester and as seen the forum is still getting the same type of replys. And when the forum is going the way that it is it needs to be kept a very close eye on. And that just doesnt seem to be happening.

It shouldnt be visible to ordinary users as the attitude should not be allowed in the forum at all. It needs to be iron fist and the mods need to have a visible presence sayign that its not acceptale to act in this manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

masteroftherealm, go and report every post you can find that you think is unacceptable. Saying that the mods should act like dictators is BS, if there are no problems then people shouldnt even notice the mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Well in all honesty the forum is awash with people being let away wth everything. As said above the forum needs to be policed with a no tolerance policy and thats just not being done.

The attitude and feeling is just being left to fester and as seen the forum is still getting the same type of replys. And when the forum is going the way that it is it needs to be kept a very close eye on. And that just doesnt seem to be happening.

It shouldnt be visible to ordinary users as the attitude should not be allowed in the forum at all. It needs to be iron fist and the mods need to have a visible presence sayign that its not acceptale to act in this manner.

In fairness masteroftherealm, no mod is ever going to have the time to read every single post in every single thread. That's why there's a report post option. It brings our attenton to something you find unacceptable. If you have a problem with what's happening in the forum then report the posts. If you have a problem with an entire thread then report a posts and maybe drop the mod a PM too. Once the posts are reported then action will be taken.
    Charter wrote:
    3. Please be tactful when replying to posts, remember that people are here to seek advice and may be in a very difficult personal situation. Any advice given should be mature, constructive and non-abusive. Excessive sarkiness & bullying will not be tolerated

Perhaps it might be an idea to add to that part of the charter to say there will be no tolerance for "get a job, you waster" type replies and they will result in infractions/bans?

That is up to the mod's of the forum though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

I have just posted what i think of those people on that forum thread and i am reporting every post that has personal abuse as a point. who do those people think they are!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56350729#post56350729

i urge you all to report each post aswell as a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

stevoman wrote: »
    I have just posted what i think of those people on that forum thread and i am reporting every post that has personal abuse as a point. who do those people think they are!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56350729#post56350729

i urge you all to report each post aswell as a point.

Eh well intentioned as I'm sure your idea is, I don't think the relevant mods will appreciate receiving thousands of reported post PMs.

javaboy wrote: »
    Eh well intentioned as I'm sure your idea is, I don't think the relevant mods will appreciate receiving thousands of reported post PMs.

why not. the chap is being personally abused and as far as i am aware thats what the report a post link is here for and isnt that the mods job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

why not. the chap is being personally abused and as far as i am aware thats what the report a post link is here for and isnt that the mods job.

That thread has already been brought the the mods attention.

takola wrote: »
    That thread has already been brought the the mods attention.
    well to hell with it, i had to have my say too after seeing that. boards could do without people like that IMO.

well to hell with it, i had to have my say too after seeing that. boards could do without people like that IMO.
    Your opinion has been noted.
    Kindly don't spam my inbox again with reports on posts already dealt with .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

takola wrote: »
    Perhaps it might be an idea to add to that part of the charter to say there will be no tolerance for "get a job, you waster" type replies and they will result in infractions/bans?

That is up to the mod's of the forum though.
    It's a very good idea imo! That way, a quick no-tolerance ban for charter violation is totally justified.

Advertisement