Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remote connect to home pc

• 23-06-2008 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭

Could anybody point me in the right direction...I think im asking the wrong questions on google :)

Basically I have a small linux setup at home,running various services including ssh that I would like to monitor etc.
    My internet provider is chorus and im allocated a dynamic ip address. I would like to connect from my work pc over ssh to one of the linux machines i have running.

From what I understand there are two options:

1. Get a static ip address (im not sure this is possible with chorus subscription) and ssh user@staticip

2. Register a domain name and have a dns server point to my dynamic ip address (DNS refresh might be an issue)

Any ideas guys would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Free dynamic DNS (such as www.dyndns.com) is your friend. You should be able to configure your router to automatically update your dynamic DNS IP address and you'll then just need to SSH to that hostname.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

Yep, that should do it. I've done it a few times, works well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Or alternatively if you have a debian based distro...

sudo apt-get install no-ip

While its being installed it will ask for your username and password which you can get for free by registering at no-ip.com with your webbrowser. From within your router forward the port 22 to your workstation.

Its how I do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

or ddlclient

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I use dyndns.org, which seems to be well supported by routers.

If you're opening the port for public access I'd recommend to use a non standard port and to also use denyhosts to block users after a certain amount of invalid password attempts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭MackPaddy

Sound lads,thanks very much for the info and advice.

I'm definitely on the right track but I think it might not be as easy as that.

Basically the connection is shared with another lad in the house, with the router set up with dhcp to allocate addresses of the range 192.168.13.X

I created an account on dyndns and it autodetected that the ipaddress for the machine was 89.101.178.64 but I think this is the ipaddress of the router.

So it looks like the router gives my pc an ip address of the range 192.168.13.X but that its mapped to something in the 89.101.178.X range.Is there a way I can determine what the current address of my pc is according to my router?I think if I know this ip address I could update the hostname details with dyndns.com and connect to it over ssh.

Also because I share the router, Id prefer not to modify its settings for dynamic dns..

Sorry about all the questions and probably waffling too much...but damn Im learning some interesting stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

MackPaddy wrote: »
    So it looks like the router gives my pc an ip address of the range 192.168.13.X but that its mapped to something in the 89.101.178.X range.Is there a way I can determine what the current address of my pc is according to my router?I think if I know this ip address I could update the hostname details with dyndns.com and connect to it over ssh.

Short answer:
    In order for this to work, you need to configure the router to forward one of it's public-facing ports to port 22 on your pc.

Long answer:
    A NAT router will normally have one public IP address (eg. 89.101.178.64) that it uses on the internet, and a block of private IP addresses (eg. 192.168.1.X) that it allocates to users on the LAN. When you hit www.boards.ie from your computer at 192.168.1.13, your router will see a request coming from 192.168.1.13 port 1132 (source ports are chosen by the OS and are usually an unused port above 1024) for 89.234.66.107 port 80. The router replaces 192.168.1.13 port 1132 in the packet headers with its own public IP address and an unused port number (so that www.boards.ie will send the reply back to it and not to an unroutable IP address) but it also tracks this connection so that it can forward the response back to 192.168.1.13 port 1132.

This system works great for connection requests that originate on the LAN but the downside is that it doesn't handle connection requests that originate from the internet as the router doesn't know which machine on the LAN to forward the packets to. Two ways to work around this limitation are DMZ (the router forwards all internet originated connection requests to a single computer on the LAN), and port forwarding (the router forwards internet originated connection requests to computers on the LAN based on the port number in the incoming request and a manually configured list of port forwards).

There is also Upnp but that has some security issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Your mixing up public and private ip.

Don't setup dyndns on the router, set it up on your pc, give your pc a static ip address and port forward on the router for ssh to that static ip. I've done this myself on my own setup.

What kind of broadband connection have you got? If its wireless, the unit on your roof is also router and you would have to get the port opened by your Isp.

Edit, afetr a re-read i see its Chorus, you should be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭MackPaddy

Lads ye are liginds :)

I just got ssh access to my machine from my laptop via interweb.

Thanks all for taking the time to explain what needed to be done in simple english for me!

In the end I gave my machine a static address,and on the netgear router I enabled port forwarding for ssh on port 22.After updating the host entry on dyndns.com account and waiting nervously for the dns tables to refresh...I eventually got that sweet message "The authenticity of host X cant be established" :)

Muchos gracias!

Advertisement