Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steak - how to cook and what to have with it {Mega Merge!}

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

county wrote:
    While we are on the topic,

How come every time I buy fillet steak, there are streaky fat bits in it (usually from tesco)
    thats called marbelling and as long as theres not too much it,its grand

Marbelling makes for taste and moisture, if you have a tight muscle it can sometimes be quite dry and tough when it is cooked, marbelling makes it tastier, basting from the inside if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Blub2k4 wrote:
    If the steak is fresh enough then it can be eaten tartare, that's raw. So as to your question as to how safe it is that depends on freshness.

How do you define fresh steak? Because I prefer my beef hung for at least 21 days before it's butchered into steaks. The longer the better in fact. That's the trick to truly tender, phenomenal steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

How do you define fresh steak? Because I prefer my beef hung for at least 21 days before it's butchered into steaks. The longer the better in fact. That's the trick to truly tender, phenomenal steak.
    so true,maybe someone should tell tescos this as their beef is truely shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Tescos do claim their meat is Irish sourced, how different is a Tesco Sirloin @ 8.80 per KG and my local butchers at ~15 euros per KG ? , not convinced that both are not from the same source.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

BTW - I did get meat from the KCR place mentioned (Courtneys) last weekend, the chicken fillets at 10 euro for 10 are fantastic value, not convinced about the steak though, got 1.2KG of Sirloin for 15 euro, is a good bit cheaper in Tesco's but havent tried the Sirloin yet so hoping the difference is in quality.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I go by the smell myself. I appreciate that well-hung (oooh err mrs) can have a nose to it but it is still fresh.

Honestly I haven't dealt with tartare ever so wouldn't know the exact spec one would look for if eating steak raw, having said that I eat steak signon at times if it is good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

When cooking steak, I go by a time guide from Delia Smith's book:

For fillet (1 1/2" thick) Get the pan as hot as you can, and give the steak 1 minute each side. Adjust the heat down a little, and give it 3 minutes each side for medium. Adjust the timing up and down according to how you liek it cooked: 2 minutes either side for rare, 4 minutes for medium/well.

Obviously sirloin etc. would be a lot shorter. The fillet steak one is the only times I can remember, because it's the only steak I really don't want to mess up when cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

I see T Bone steaks are on sale again. (They were banned after the BSE crisis, because it was believed that meat nearer the bone was at risk)

Has anyone ever eaten one? How does it compare to other cuts. How is it cooked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

I was in Italy a few weeks ago and the meat over there astonished me! My cousin got a kilo of steak meal for €45. This thing was HUGE. It was honestly about 3 inches thick if not more but my God was it delicious!

The same resteraunt served a meat dish with the blood literally dripping out of it on a previous night. Not a lot of people could bare having that dish near them :(

Another resteraunt we were in the meat was even thicker again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

wbailey wrote:
    I see T Bone steaks are on sale again. (They were banned after the BSE crisis, because it was believed that meat nearer the bone was at risk)

Has anyone ever eaten one? How does it compare to other cuts. How is it cooked?
    It is highly flavourful due to the bone still being attatched to the muscle. It is in fact a sirloin and a fillet still joined with the bone. As it's fairly huge, it is generally cut quite thinly in comparison with a regular steak, therefore it cooks faster. A 'Porterhouse' is a T-bone that is cut twice as thick as a regular T-bone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Hey folks. I'm having a barbecue on Saturday, and I'm going to marinade the steaks overnight. I usually use garlic, ginger, olive-oil and soy sauce, which is good, but I feel like a change. Anyone got any tips?

One bizarre tip I heard once is to use Coke. Seriously. Steaks are tough enough that the acid in coke will just soften them and make them sweeter. Anyone ever try this, and how did it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I haven't tried the coke thing, but I'd say it would be interesting.
    Have you thought about a "dry rub" as an alternative for a marinade?
    Something along the lines of:
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp brown sugar
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    2 tsp chili powder
    2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    Just rub it well into the steaks & leave overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I used to marinate steaks, and now I don't anymore.
    I don't think you can beat a good aul strip, 'shown' the BBQ and then rested for a few mins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭billyblanks

I made this for 10 people on a belgian night about a month or so ago, It was amazing.....I'm making it again this weekend.

Hoegaarden Forbidden Fruit http://www.realbeers.ie/shop/product_detail.aspx?pdid=54
    1/2 cup olive oil
    2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
    2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
    11-by-3-inch piece of orange peel

Just mix it all together, use enough beer to cover the steak I then left the steak for 4 hours.

Went very well with frites and mayonnaise....

Hill Billy wrote:
    I haven't tried the coke thing, but I'd say it would be interesting.
    Have you thought about a "dry rub" as an alternative for a marinade?
    Something along the lines of:
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp brown sugar
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    2 tsp chili powder
    2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    Just rub it well into the steaks & leave overnight.
    Hill Billy, I'm going to give that a shot. Billyblanks, (from the Bronx?) I'll try yours another time. One thing: the amounts that you listed would be for about how many steaks? I may have to prepare about ten.

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

I made this before and found it quite tasty....

1 head garlic
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2/3 cup water
    1 cup pineapple juice
    1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 1/3 cups packed dark brown sugar
    3 tablespoons lemon juice
    3 tablespoons minced white onions
    1 tablespoon Jack Daniels Whiskey
    1 tablespoon crushed pineapple
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1. Cut about 1/2 inch off the top of the garlic. Cut the roots so that the garlic head will sit flat. Remove the papery skin from the garlic head, but leave enough so that the cloves stay together. Put garlic into a small casserole dish or baking pan, grizzle olive oil over it, and cover with a lid or foil. Bake in a preheated 325F oven for 1 hour. Remove garlic and let it cool until you can handle it.
    2. Combine water, pineapple juice, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, and brown sugar in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Stir occasionally until mixture boils, then reduce heat until mixture is just simmering.
    3. Squeeze the sides of the head of garlic until the pasty roasted garlic is squeezed out. Measure 2 teaspoons into the saucepan and whisk to combine. Add remining ingredients to the pan and stir.
    4. Let mixture simmer for 40 to 50 minutes or until sauce has reduced by about 1/2 and is thick and syrupy. Make sure it doesn't boil over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you want to tenderise the meat, try coating it in pulped kiwifruit or papaya and leaving it for an hour or so, there is an enzyme that breaks down the proteins in meat in those two fruits.
    After tenderising then marinate for an amazingly tender and tasty steak.

Wacker wrote:
    One thing: the amounts that you listed would be for about how many steaks? I may have to prepare about ten.
    Wacker:

Up the quantities to a dessert spoon of each. The rub ingredients aren't set in stone. Be sure to experiment & use ingredients that you like yourself.

For example, if you wanted to give a bit of an "indian" flavour you could add some garam masala to the mix. For a more herby flavour you could add chopped rosemary or thyme.

Best of luck!

Those were some fine spicy steaks! Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

if you can get your hands on some duck fat ......mix with a few mixed herbs, rosemary. parsley,cracked black pepper, leave to marinade for a couple of days , you cant get better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Hey planning on cooking a tasty treat this evening and went to Brady's in fairview and got some nice looking fillet steak,
    I am not what you would call an experienced cook :rolleyes: but am planning on doing something a bit more then the regular cook it, boil some spuds, stick the peas in the microwave and eat.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055093665 having read this thread on cooking steak I think I have a fair grasp, (I bought three pieces so that I can experiment on the first one so that if everything goes wrong I'll know what i;ve done wrong, well thats the plan anyway)

Now I am just wondering what to do with the fillet. I did a search on boards to see if their was any previous threads and came up with this restaurant review http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57257&referrerid=&highlight=fillet+steak
    "Fillet Steak, wrapped in Bacon and Topped with Shack Pate & Flat Mushroom. Served on a Crouton, with enriched Madeira sauce." It sounds good bit I think it is a bit to fancy for my level of expertise, although I think that the fillet steak wrapped in bacon could be nice, especially as it will presumably seel in the flavours etc.

So does anyone have any suggestions/recipes on nice, not overly advanced but tasty and aesthetic dishes using fillet steak,

thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Try this http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/F/fword/fword3_steak.html

Might be too easy - tasty though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I don't tend to mess about with a good fillet steak. Season and cook to your liking. Keep it simple.

any advice on serving suggestions would be appreciated too thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Two things spring to mind, if you're really set on doing something different. Both are from Jamie Oliver or at least that's where I learned them from.

I've done both. I like both. Of the two, I think the second is slightly better than the first.

Truth be told, though, I'm not a fan of fillet steak any more. I find it lacks in flavour compared to other cuts. When I do get a really good piece, then my ideal way to cook it is briefly over a monstrously hot grill (BBQ), then serve with nothing but salt & pepper. For those who want something extra, I'd do a wine sauce, a bearnaise, or something similar.

Anyway...those alternates...

Fillet steak poached in Barolo[/quote]

Roasted Fillet of Beef in Herbs and Porcini and Wrapped in Prosciutto

My Death Row Meal:

Fry steak to your liking then set aside & keep warm.
    Reserve any juices in the pan.
    Add a drop of oil to the pan & fry a bunch of chopped scallions and a minced garlic clove for 3 or 4 minutes.
    Add a chopped tomato & fry for another 3 or 4 minutes.
    Add a dash of wine or beef stock & the reserved juices.
    Allow to reduce to get a nice thick gravy.

Serve steak & fried scallions & tomatoes over a pile of mashed spuds.

Like bonkey, I wouldn't do this with fillet steak as if find it a bit insipid.

Cheers for the replies and keep them going, I like the sound of your death row meal...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Make beef stroganoff with it.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I've made my decision on what im going to do, A simple Melon and parma ham to start, Steak wrapped in streaky bacon, with fried scallions, fried chopped tomato and flavoured mash potatoes.

And chocolate brownies covered in white chocolate sauce with cream on the side for desert, actually ill grab a few strawberries too if i can find them. Got four hours to make all this. Got a tester fillet steak on the go now so we shall see how it goes. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

quick question does anyone know the name or brand of pepper powder that they put on steak in butchers or where to buy it.mate of mine reckons butchers only pepper the steaks when they are cut a while and are starting to darken ,to cover them up/make them more presentable any truth in this.

Advertisement