Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steak - how to cook and what to have with it {Mega Merge!}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I seal the meat on a very hot pan, reduce the heat and then season. The majority of chefs do seem to season before going near the pan, I could never understand why.

I could be completely wrong on this one, but my understanding is as follows...

If you season, then sear, the seasoning gets sealed into the meat, and cooks into it. the downsides here are that the pepper can/will burn, and that the salt can/will draw out liquid before you start cooking.

If you sear, then season, the seasoning gets sealed outside, and while it will flavour the outside, its little different to not seasoning whilst cooking, and simply adding salt/pepper at the end.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

bonkey wrote: »
    I could be completely wrong on this one, but my understanding is as follows...

If you season, then sear, the seasoning gets sealed into the meat, and cooks into it. the downsides here are that the pepper can/will burn, and that the salt can/will draw out liquid before you start cooking.

It does go some way to explaining the argument though. The pepper definitely burns if you season before sealing imo. The salt drawing out the juices is not something I could argue though it is generally accepted that this happens.
    If you sear, then season, the seasoning gets sealed outside, and while it will flavour the outside, its little different to not seasoning whilst cooking, and simply adding salt/pepper at the end.

I understand where you're coming from. I'd still argue that sealing doesn't completely seal the meat from outside influences and that the meat still benefits greatly from the seasoning while still cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've no opinion either way, but as long as some salt & pepper hit my tongue along with the steak & I get the benefit of any seasoning I'm happy. I generally season again once I dish up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I got a big, juicy-looking, sirloin steak and I want to make the most of it! I'm looking for any and all suggestions of what to have with it to maximise it's greatness? (Forget about the low-carb thing, it doesn't matter for this meal!)

Put it on a griddle pan. Serve with mushrooms cooked in a little butter, fried onions, halved vine tomatos cooked in the pan with the steak, peas, good chips + beer = winner!

I'm friggin salivating like a lunatic here.

Simple things are the best sometimes. I only eat this occasionally as I enjoy it so much I don't want to over-eat it and spoil it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Chop garlic and rosemary and mix with a tablespoon of good olive oil and a shake of pepper. Sit the steak in this for an hour. Then salt it and fling it on a hot griddle for two minutes each side.

Serve it with a baked potato and a greek salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Buy a cast iron frying pan.

Depends on the thickness, but if about 1.5 inches thick here's what i'd do...

Get your oven up to full clatter (250 C i guess). Put the pan in.

Have your steak at room temp (gives it the best chance of the inside getting cooked before the outside is over cooked).

When the oven is at full clatter, take out the pan and put it on full blast on your hob (give it about 5-10mins on the hob before putting on the steak) .

Coat the steak (both sides) with a little oil (not extra virgin olive - something neutral with a high smoke point - so sunflower or corn oil will do). A generous sprinkling of salt. And a grinding of pepper.

Place the steak in the middle of the pan, don't move it for 30 seconds.
    Then turn the steak onto an unused piece of the pan (will be hotter) with a thongs for a further 30 seconds.

Put the pan into the oven for 2 minutes.
    Then turn the steak and into the oven for another 2 minutes.

For an inch and a half steak - that will bring you to about medium rare / medium.

Anyway remove from the oven cover loosely with foil or baking paper and rest on an upturned plate / bowl for 2 minutes.

Cook steak as you like. Put it aside to rest in a warm place.
    In same pan that you fried the steak - add some olive oil & on a high heat fry a bunch of chopped scallions (whites & greens) for 2/3 mins. Then add a diced tomato & fry for a further 2/3 mins. Pour in 1/2 pint beef stock & allow to reduce by half. Season well.

Make a 'volcano' out of mashed potato. Pour the scallion/tomato gravy into the 'crater' & serve with the steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Fry it, real hot pan. Well seasoned.

Then top with this:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_27571,00.html

Serve with homemade oven cooked wedges.

Life is good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

BBQ it!

And serve with creamed corn, potato gratin and bearnaise sauce.

HAHM!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

Steak, Onions, two or three medium sized Golden Wonders (Steamed in their jackets) and Gravy.

Fry Steak in Olive Oil
    Remove fom pan
    Fry onions in same oil
    Remove from pan
    Strain off excess fat and make gravy with whatever juices are left.

Serve yourself ;) and enjoy!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Chop garlic and rosemary and mix with a tablespoon of good olive oil and a shake of pepper. Sit the steak in this for an hour.
    Fry it, real hot pan. Well seasoned.

Then top with this:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_27571,00.html

Serve with homemade oven cooked wedges.

Life is good :)

I did both of those, and it was yummy! I kind of messed up the Bearnaise sauce, but it was still good. I meant to do the fried tomatoes too, but I forgot :(. I followed it up with strawberries and cream.

Now I feel so full I could burst!

Once you enjoyed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

After reading this thread,I will be buying a nice big juicy steak tomorrow *licks his lips*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭daosulli

quick an easy idea from Ramsay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzrofOTI5o8

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭spectre

I'm going shopping for a new steak pan later today and would like to hear from people who know what they're talking about.

At the moment I'm using a reasonable frying pan but I'm not so sure that it's able for the super-high temperatures needed to cook a good steak. Also I find that the face of the steak burns unless I keep it moving on the pan. I'm not sure how to overcome this, is it a matter of buying a pan with those built in grooves? Also, I cook on an electric hob.

How much do I need to spend and where can I buy?

Very grateful for any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I think you're looking for a griddle. I'd say cast iron are probably the way to go for longevity. I bought this (see below) - which I love, as it's easy to store because there is no long handle. And when they are cast iron, they are heavy and cumbersome.

getthumb.aspx?DocumentID=416&width=400&Height=400

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Seconded on the cast iron. Thing is, if you get one with ridges, you can't make a pan sauce (well, not as easily), so things like steak au poivre are out. But then, if you do get one with ridges, you get those lovely caramelised stripes and the steak just tastes a little better.
    Hmmm.

Ah, perfect - get two :D

(Actually, if you can get one cast iron frying pan without ridges and one BBQ grill, that's the best of both worlds).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Thirdededed on Cast Iron. The heavier the better as heavier pans do not cool down too much when you first put the meat on.

If it is cast iron you should be able to buy ready seasoned.

Kitchen Complements off Grafton Street is where I got mine. Not too expensive if I remember correctly (although it was the only inexpensive thing in Kitchen Complements at the time). Arnotts, etc would also stock. There's a Le Creuset place in the Kildare Village outlet place if you are looking for a bargain and it's handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Kitchen Complements off Grafton Street
    I always thought they were horrendously expensive.
    Oddly, Brown Thomas's kitchenware department isn't too bad for some things (knives and le creuset).
    But anywhere you can get a bargain is the better idea. Especially if it's without ridges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'd vote for as heavy a cast iron pan as you can manage, because as soon as you put the meat on, the pan can lose heat. That is particularly important if you like steak that is rare inside but nicely scorched on the outside. I prefer one without ridges because I like making sauce with the juices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

On cast iron I'd go for non-branded. So just a plain bog standard cast iron pan or griddle. The griddle squares often have a stainless steel handle that'll fold in for easy storage.

I paid a tenner for my cast iron griddle (about 10" square with a folding steel handle) and twelve quid for my cast iron frying pan (12" round with a cast iron handle).

On the griddle, 10" square is officially a crap size and shape for a cast iron griddle. It's too small and you end up cooking servings of whatever one at a time to achieve best effect. You don't want to crowd steaks onto a pan - they'll reduce the heat of the pan too quickly. If I was buying again, I'd go for either a round, ridged pan in 12" or 14" or a rectangular ridged pan - one of the ones that'll fit on either a fish burner or two rings on the hob.

As an aside, the 12" cast iron frying pan is a winner for doing naan breads - I put it over the wok burner, drop the shaped, raw naan dough into the hot pan to get the singed effect, and put the whole shebang, pan and all, into an oven pre-heated to the highest setting. Finally because I'm cooking on gas I can achieve the bubbled effect by toasting the naan with a tongs over the wok burner.

If I was going for something a bit different, like enamel over cast iron, I'd go for a well-known and guaranteed brand like le creuset, but with plain cast iron I wouldn't bother spending the extra cash, I'd work more on getting a useful size and shape of pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I saw a very nice cast iron griddle in TKMAXX in the blanch at the weekend. €12 and it was solid!

Thanks for the replies. I was looking at a cast Iron grill pan in Clery's this evening. It was made by le creuset and cost nearly 100 euro. Hopefuly I can do better than that elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

spectre wrote: »
    At the moment I'm using a reasonable frying pan but I'm not so sure that it's able for the super-high temperatures needed to cook a good steak. Also I find that the face of the steak burns unless I keep it moving on the pan.

Your pan doesn't get to the superhigh tempertures but still manages to burn the steak.:confused:

Anyway, some good cheap cast iron pans available here

Minder wrote: »
    Your pan doesn't get to the superhigh tempertures but still manages to burn the steak.:confused:

Anyway, some good cheap cast iron pans available here

You misunderstand, my pan gets sufficiently hot but the heat has destroyed the non-stick coating I'm afraid.

Thanks for the link though, prices seem very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭fourmations

I got skillet style cast iron pans in homestore&more
    perfect for steaks, less than 20quid if i remember correctly

there is always nisbets.ie if you need a few bits

ciao

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭balon

You definitely want a good cast iron skillet. Get one at least 12 inches wide and 2-3 inches deep without ridges. Season it properly yourself and never wash it with soap and overtime your non stick coating will become tough as old boots.

You can use use it for so many things - just don't cook too many tomato based dishes in the early days before the coating develops as the acidity can break down the coating

I've had mine over 10 years and it's been my best kitchen purchase. 100 quid is not a lot if it lasts you a lifetime

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Hi,

I'm going to be having Sirlion this evening (and no don't tell me get fillet etc, I AM HAVING SIRLION :D) but like to do something a little different with it.

Would normally have mash potatoes and serve with some fried onion and red pepper, and a drop of pepper sauce on the side. But this can get a little boring.

Any suggestions for something a bit more inventive to try? I looked through some old threads and somebody mentioned a sauce involving shallots and tomatoes, have never really made my own sauces before so just wondering how to go about it? Or any other good suggestions to accompany the steak!

• Advertisement

I wouldn't dream of telling you to go for a fillet (tasteless pap if you ask me).

Check out this thread for some ideas.

Advertisement