Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

53 degress north now selling specialized bikes - opinion?

Options
  • 23-06-2008 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

As a dedicated hillwalker also looking to buy a new bike, I was suprised to see one of my favourite outdoor stores has started to sell specialzed bikes. They are also selling a bike called the specialized globe centrum (which is one of the bikes on my consideration list). This bike is being sold for 550 euros.

53 degress is a store I trust for hillwalking stuff (although the "great outdoors" is still top dog in Dublin for outdoorsey stuff) but would it be advisable to buy a bike from a shop who are not a dedicated bike dealers?

If not - then I presume a drive up north to McConveys would be in order. I am hearing a lot of good stuff about McConveys on this forum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

The opinion from previous threads seems to be that 53 degrees north isn't a bike shop but is more of a showroom. I think you would get better service from McConveys.

I was looking at a bike there a month ago, and the shop assistant said that the bike part was run by cycleways.
    The interesting thing is that they will give you a discount, with the 53 degrees north loyalty card, which I picked up for nothing,
    the discount is 7 or 8 percent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If they have started a bike service department then it is worth considering. Otherwise though, you are no better than buying off the internet and I'd expect an internet price to go with it.

EDIT: If Cycleways are doing the service/maintenance, they are a perfectly reputable bike shop and I wouldn't be afraid to buy from them.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

blorg wrote: »
    If they have started a bike service department then it is worth considering. Otherwise though, you are no better than buying off the internet and I'd expect an internet price to go with it.

EDIT: If Cycleways are doing the service/maintenance, they are a perfectly reputable bike shop and I wouldn't be afraid to buy from them.

Cycleways are the provider of the bikes etc, 53 degrees are just a showroom really. A bit better than the web as you can see the bike, sit on it etc...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It was subject of one of the funniest posts here this year:
    ...when i was in there yesterday the staff looked at me like a wierdo when i asked if they sold cycling shorts. salesgirl: "what, the tight ones?" me: "yes." salesgirl "ah, no." and made a face like i'd just asked her if they sold strap-ons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement