Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about a bet

Options
  • 23-06-2008 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

I did a €5 free bet from one of the newpapers on Saturday in Boyle Sports. Went to collect my winnings yesterday and yer one deducted the €5 at the end "because it was a free bet". Is this right, or was I ripped off? Surely it was a valid bet so I should have got back the original stake too?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

There are two types of free bets, stake returned, and the more common, stake not returned. Looks like yours was in the latter catagory.

I doubt you were ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

luvlylady wrote: »
    I did a €5 free bet from one of the newpapers on Saturday in Boyle Sports. Went to collect my winnings yesterday and yer one deducted the €5 at the end "because it was a free bet". Is this right, or was I ripped off? Surely it was a valid bet so I should have got back the original stake too?

yeah this is fairly standard practice im afraid :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭lolkelly

yeah this is fairly standard practice im afraid :(

It has to be standard practice....Most freebets are. otherwise any customer could place the bet on a non-runner, long odds on shot (e.g. 1/100) and claim the initial stake back.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,388 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Interesting enough, a friend hadone of those free bets in the same bookies for the Holland russia game.
    He had the 5 fre bet, plus his own bet one,
    Both bets missed, but they had a deal were if Van Nist scoredthe lat goal all first/last etc bets refunded, he gave in his slip with both bets on it, and got back 10, so they repaid the free bet.

OP, i'm guesing you won the bet, considering that the bet was "name the first scorer" plus the correct score double, you did pretty good out of a free bet

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

Mellor looks like the bookies in question made a mistake giving him the money back.
    I worked in a bookies I know they wouldn't give it back.
    Mistake by the person who was settling the bet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭jacool

Yeah, the stake isn't refundable. i won a VC competition on a betting forum and only get my winnings from bets placed - the stake is fictional money really and is never credited to your account balance.

Advertisement