Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delayed flights

Options
  • 23-06-2008 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I returned from holiday on saturday night and our flight (monarch airlines) was delayed 3 hours. was i entitled to a meal? and were the airlines representatives obliged to point that out? from a very quick google it seems you are entitled to a meal if your flight is delayed by more than 2 hours, and they are supposed to tell you that, but i could be wrong? I didn't know that so didn't get a claim form or keep the receipt for the food. do i've any comeback? i was flying from Arricife in Lanzarote if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

They might have given you a food coupon had you have asked but not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Lanzarote is over 1500km so a 3 hour rule would apply. Also its not in the EU so the 3 hour rule applies whether or not its over 1500km.

My guess it was delayed due to weather conditions - mid summers day, 11degrees, howling winds, trees down, electricity off, huddled up beside fire. mmmm summertime!!:D

Flight Delays
    Under EC Regulation 261/2004 your rights begin after a delay of 2 hours in flights of less than 1,500km, 3 hours for EU flights greater than 1,500km and non-EU flights of less than 3,500km and 4 hours for all flights of more than 3,500km.

if a flight is delayed for the length of time outlined above an airline may be obliged to provide the following to you:

Free meal and refreshments
    Two free telephone calls, faxes or emails
    Free hotel accommodation if departure is delayed until the next day
    Free transport between airport and accommodation

If a flight is delayed by 5 hours or more you are entitled to look for a refund of the un-used part of the ticket if you decide not to travel or you can choose to be re-routed by the airline later.

Under EC Regulation 261/2004 you are not entitled to financial compensation if your flight is delayed.

Under the Montreal Convention 1999 there is also provision for air passengers to seek compensation from the airline carrier for delays. If a passenger is delayed financial compensation must be offered. However the carrier is not liable if it can show that it took all reasonable measures to avoid the delay or it was impossible to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

MCaul beat me to it !

You were entitled to food yes.

In fact the airline broke the rules because they didn't explain this to you .

As for claiming now , you have no hope , but look on the EU website they have a complaint form, fill it in and report them .

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

what site is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Davidth88 wrote: »
    MCaul beat me to it !

You were entitled to food yes.

In fact the airline broke the rules because they didn't explain this to you .

As for claiming now , you have no hope , but look on the EU website they have a complaint form, fill it in and report them .

If the flight was delayed due to bad weather then the OP is entitled to diddly squat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

the pilot said it was delayed because delays the previous day had carried over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/air_portal/passenger_rights/index_en.htm

The key word is ' may ' , not sure as previous poster pointed out if weather delays are included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

When this happened to me in Dublin airport, Ryanair didn't have any EU entitlement cards to hand. When I went to the DAA, they had to go into a back office to photocopy one for me.

Ryanair has this trick: they'll delay a flight of up to 10 hours if they can (it was 9 for me) so to avoid cancelling it; if flights are cancelled, passengers are entitled to €200 each towards an alternative flight. I fought to get on the next flight, as a standby passenger. The downside was I bumped 2 people off their flight because they failed to check in on time (they overbook flights by 10%).

They also do not offer coupons for food; they ask you to send in receipts. To my knowledge, they also charge an administration fee to be reimbursed. Same as how they hold on to airport tax through imposing an administration fee.

Advertisement