Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PM monitor plugin for FF3 Version: 3.0.2008.06.23

Options
  • 23-06-2008 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Please note this is a pre-release build and is subject to change.

You can download from here:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7787/

As it is pre-release you need to create a login on that site to access it.

- Known issues.
    1. Toolbar icons don't resize properly (don't care as I will change them soon).
    2. UI may change.

---
    Please post bugs, feature requests, etc in this thread. Thanks.

If you experience an issue please do the following.
    1. go to about:config
    2. in search area type boardsie.
    3. If there is a variable boardsie.debug then make sure it is set to true.
    4. If the variable is not there then add a boolean variable called boardsie.debug and set it to true.
    5. restart client. Open error console and reproduce issue. Let me know what it says.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Sandbox is a bit messy so if you don't see the correct version click "Show all versions". It will be there.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/versions/7787

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Installed from the second link, first doesn't work though, just points to "Addon not found!"

CuLT wrote: »
    Installed from the second link, first doesn't work though, just points to "Addon not found!"

yea fixed that. Kind of hard to navigate that site as some pages become cached and some don't. Should be ok now.

Somethings if you want to check yourself CULT.

add a message in the JSON and it should appear in the icon tooltiptext. So you can do something like "Server coming down in 10 mins, back in an hour".

JSON Disable set to true and and url message or message set will switch off the autochecking (has to be manually run or switched back on). Also changes the icon to inform the user. Url message should point you to the selected URL.

One bug for you CULT. If I am logged out your JSON is still filled up, just with blank data. Put something like "You must log in for this to work" as a message. The plugin will pick up something went wrong and warn the user.

Hobbes wrote: »
    yea fixed that. Kind of hard to navigate that site as some pages become cached and some don't. Should be ok now.

Somethings if you want to check yourself CULT.

add a message in the JSON and it should appear in the icon tooltiptext. So you can do something like "Server coming down in 10 mins, back in an hour".

JSON Disable set to true and and url message or message set will switch off the autochecking (has to be manually run or switched back on). Also changes the icon to inform the user. Url message should point you to the selected URL.
    That is very nifty, nice to have that level of control over it. Cheers.

I'll see what we can do about setting up some sort of light cms or project tool at developer.boards.ie, can give it a proper homepage, etc, then.
    One bug for you CULT. If I am logged out your JSON is still filled up, just with blank data. Put something like "You must log in for this to work" as a message. The plugin will pick up something went wrong and warn the user.

Grand, wasn't sure how the plugin should respond to that, easy enough to alter. Just change the system message to output a "please log in" warning?

• Advertisement

Yes I have it as a build environment so all you need is Eclipse and you can work on it.

Just to add to that you can also change the minscan time in minutes (In JSON). So if you experiencing heavy load you can force it up on the users. It resets back to user settings if they restart browser until they do a request from the server again. 5 mins is the default min. It be overridden outside of the UI but will stop casual users hitting the server frequently.

Grand, wasn't sure how the plugin should respond to that, easy enough to alter. Just change the system message to output a "please log in" warning?

Yea. Basically anything that isn't that JSON object will be rejected.

btw, subs count doesn't update that frequently. Is that intentional?

Ok I see what you did :)

Rather then set message Just nuke the whole JSON object so it looks like this.
    You must be logged in for this tool to work.

So just text. This will be thrown away as an invalid JSON object and the icon will change.

Ah right, ok done.

And you're right, plugin certainly handles it a lot better :)
    btw, subs count doesn't update that frequently. Is that intentional?

I set it at 60 minutes, just an arbitrary number. Could be a lot lower if it helps.

I set it at 60 minutes, just an arbitrary number. Could be a lot lower if it helps.

well I have no idea if it causes server performance issues or not. What I will do as well in the preferences add an option to alert on new Subs and/or new messages.

As it stands it always looks like I have an update even though I have read the related subs mentioned. So some might just want the PM alerts.

Otherwise looking very very good so far. :)

• Advertisement

OK stuff to work on so far that needs to be changed.
    - Add "last scan time" to tooltiptext. So people realise it is working.
    - Option to ignore new subs or new PMs when looking for updates.
    - Unless people want them I am going to dump the buttons except create 1 toolbar button that will have the same functionality as the status icon.
    - Option to hide the status bar icon.
    - Modify the theme skinning process so it is transparent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement