Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fav National Radio Station

• 23-06-2008 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭

What is your fav national radio station

Favourite National Radio Station? 48 votes

RTE Radio 1
    0% 0 votes
    RTE 2fm
    16% 8 votes
    RTE RnaG
    8% 4 votes
    RTE Lyric
    2% 1 vote
    Today FM
    4% 2 votes
    NEWSTALK
    68% 33 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Todayfm without a shadow of doubt. Newstalk is handy enough when there is an intersting news story going on though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

VOTE SO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

Ther'ye all fairly ****e.I'm voting for the least horrific station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

barnicles wrote: »
    VOTE SO

No Poll there when i first commented

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Today FM, though Newstalk is great in the evenings. I never listen to 2FM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I suppose Radio 1 is my favourite - for their one o'clock news, if nothing else. Although lately I've found myself listening to Newstalk and Lyric far more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Today FM - no contest. Some great shows and some "best of a bad lot", but definitely the best of those listed (i.e. nationwide stations) and the only one of them that I'd tune in to, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

easy choice, Today FM.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I picked Today Fm, though I'd put newstalk on a par because of Moncrieff and George Hook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Definitely Newstalk - a very refreshing talk station. A bit in the morning, a bit in the evening (George Hook), sometimes David Norris and anytime that there is coverage of an election or referendum(!). The weekend breakfast current affairs shows are good too with Brendan O'Brien and Karen Coleman.

Before Newstalk arrived on the scene, I would have said Today FM - mainly for its talk shows, rather than music shows. I have definitely tired of Today FM. Once the novely of having a national commercial radio station again had faded, I realised that the music was a bit hit-and-miss for me. Sometimes, I still listen to The Last Word in the evenings and occasionally the Sunday Supplement. I like Matt Cooper and Sam Smyth on the radio.

Different Nation, Different Station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

No option for they are all ****. I am unable to listen to them anymore. It is the ipod for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

in the mornings..i don't listen to national radio...its crap! morning radio for me would be dublins 98fm.

I must admit i like 2fm in the evenings....well from bout 4 to 7...never really listen much after that;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Today Fm, great line up weekdays and their buisness show is top notch, cant stand the weekend sports show on newstalk they have no live commentary at all this summer and are just a poor mans rte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Radio 1, don't really like Ryan Tubriday and hate Ronan Collins, but it's too much hassle to switch so I just put up with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭nevey

I'd have to spoil my vote -sorry.
    Since it arrived on the airways and up to about 1 year ago it would have been Newstalk - no question.
    Then they switched Saturday mornings (one of the few times I get to listen to radio uninterrupted) from wide angle and media matters (I think .. or was it an arts show) to detox and makeovers with lighthearted pap aimed at the ladies. Un-bear-able radio.
    The straw that has broken the camel's back has been the breakfast show. Every morning my radio is on Newstalk by default and I give it a chance (again) and next thing they are asking people to text in with ... what was it this morning?, a favourite song from 1983 or something? God awful radio. Morning Ireland is so civilised.
    But then Radio1 switches to chirpy Tubridy so I switch to self-righteous, "here's an arguement I've prepared earlier", Brenda for a little while before I just switch the whole mess off and appreciate the silence!
    Don't think much of the other options either!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Don't listen to much national radio inside the boundries of Dublin, occasionally switch over to Radio 1. When driving outside of Dublin I listen to Lyric, very calming for the old road rage. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

For me, I listen to the radio to be entertained primarily and informed secondarily. I've selected Today FM as my favourite, although there's certain times I'd switch over.

The choice isn't all that great first thing in the mornings unfortunately - Colm & Jim Jim on 2FM have their moments but in general I find them pretty hit-and-miss. I thought they were excellent on the "Strawberry Alarm Clock" on FM104 - when the show was more Dublin centric - it all sounded more 'natural' somehow, but they haven't changed or evolved much from what I've seen and I'm not sure their style suits the national broadcaster.

Ian Dempsey on the other side, while better, just isn't as good as he used to be. I know On the comedy side of things, Gift Grub kicks Nob Nation's arse,- always has done... wouldn't expect that to change. Overall, Dempsey shades it for me, but while I know that breakfast shows are a difficult nut to crack, I'd expect more from the big players such as RTE and Today FM.

In the afternoons, I can't stand Gerry Ryan and think he's too old and the wrong sound and style for RTE 2FM and their audience. Yet, he's still got a huge following (and the salary to match). I'm less of a fan of Ray D'Arcy than I used to be but between the two, I'd sooner listen to him than Gerry. Shame it's a "best of a bad bunch" situation, though.

Next up, although I'm not really his biggest fan, I find Ray Foley marginally more interesting and/or entertaining than Nikki Hayes, although she does try her damndest and is bloody good at what she does - but I WILL switch to 2FM after Foley's show (and more often than not, at 2pm) for the intelligent, innovative and generally excellent Rick O'Shea - who is many many miles better than Tony Fenton.

In the evenings, Today FM come up trumps again with Matt Cooper's Last Word being essentially unrivalled in that time slot and format on national radio and Tom Dunne and Alison Curtis playing better music and generally sounding more clued in than their competitors.

The night slots aren't what they used to be though. Friday Night 80's and Planet Hits with Derek Flood are still pretty good, but the Blast is a shadow of it's former self and I get the feeling that Today FM could do with reinventing it or introducing a brand new programme - a good strong consistent night-time fun & entertainment programme which would run at least 4 nights a week - in order to strengthen their brand and boost their audience even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I voted Today Fm all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭scholes19

today fm gets my vote for sure!:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Bard wrote: »
    The night slots aren't what they used to be though. (...) the Blast is a shadow of it's former self and I get the feeling that Today FM could do with reinventing it or introducing a brand new programme

The Blast is no more as of last Friday. :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055316104

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055320032

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The Blast being gone is a shame in some ways (it's good to have a show in that format in that time slot instead of over-doing the Tom Dunne/Alison Curtis style IMHO - and I LIKE Dunne and Curtis :) ) but it's not a surprise that it's gone as it was a show that was tailor made for the antics and attitude of Mr. Foley and his sidekick and they're probably not the easiest to emulate for the other jocks in Today FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Radio 1 man all the way,though lately have been listening to the morning show on Newstalk.

Would not touch any of the vacuous poncy music stations which seem to abound the airwaves these days.

Pretentious **** who know nothing about anything trying to ram their warped philosophy and strange accents down my tender lugholes.... No way José

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

Today FM hands down.

Advertisement