Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Waiting for full license; can I still drive??

Options
  • 23-06-2008 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭

Hey, I just passed my test and I have applied for a full license, I was just wondering what the story is with driving on the road now, I made a photo copy of my provisional license and my cert of competency but am I still ok to drive on the road? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

it is ok to drive, but you are still a provisional driver, and subject to the rules applying to them, until you get the full licence

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nuttzz wrote: »
    it is ok to drive, but you are still a provisional driver, and subject to the rules applying to them, until you get the full licence

Not correct. By law you must keep your L plates up until you get your full license, but you may drive unaccompanied so long as you have your receipt from the motor tax office. The photo copies will come in handy also.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

What's the crack with the OP answering his/her own question?
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Na he didn't! User names are just similar!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,994 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What's the crack with the OP answering his/her own question?
    :pac:
    NUTZZ v. Nuttzz ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

In the same boat as the OP, just applied for full licence today and was told it will take 3 - 5 business days to process. I have my reciept and sure the garda allow 10 days to produce if stopped, so should be ok.

Hal1 wrote: »
    sure the garda allow 10 days to produce if stopped, so should be ok.
    You'll be ok but bear in mind that 10 days to produce doesn't mean 10 days grace. When you do 'produce, the Garda will check back to the date that you were asked to produce and compare dates. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I should have taken copies like the OP, better lay low so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Not correct. By law you must keep your L plates up until you get your full license, but you may drive unaccompanied so long as you have your receipt from the motor tax office. The photo copies will come in handy also.

I was told (many moons ago) by the examiner when i past that I was still a provisional driver until i was in receipt of my full licence, things have changed or he was wrong then

I was told (many moons ago) by the examiner when i past that I was still a provisional driver until i was in receipt of my full licence, things have changed or he was wrong then
    That has always been my belief also (regardless of what an examiner, instructor or garda may say nowadays).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You are handed your certificate of competency when you pass your test which, although not a full license, enables you to drive unaccompanied.
    EDIT: However i believe you are not allowed to drive on a motorway until you are in possession of your full license...i remember being told this by my examiner upon passing...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Not sure if things have changed, I did my test 25 years ago and drove to Nutgrove and had my licence 25 minutes after i passed the test..

EDIT: However i believe you are not allowed to drive on a motorway until you are in possession of your full license...i remember being told this by my examiner upon passing...
    Whatever doubts about the rest, that is certainly 100% correct. One must physically be in posession of the Driving Licence before legally driving on motorways.
    Not sure if things have changed, I did my test 25 years ago and drove to Nutgrove and had my licence 25 minutes after i passed the test..
    Many of the MTOs insist on posting out the licence "for security reasons" even if one applies in person.

Advertisement