Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance company wont cover a remap??!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ching9000

bbam wrote: »

At least you asked... will you get it done anyway ??

Don't think I will mate, just too much of a risk in my opinion. If the worst were to happen and I did crash into a nice expensive car then I could end up owning a lot of money.

groupb wrote: »
    Grahambo , Knackers have been eyeballing your car because ........ they (or lookalikes) are generally driven by knackers.
    BTW OP why do you need to remap a 130bhp hatchback? Would it be to make it quicker by any chance?

Its the saloon type. And yes, the motivation is to make it a faster car....would there be another reason??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    person with the EVO. Stop Complaining, sell your Evo and buy something with cheaper insurance.

Why should I?

I have a passion for cars, I'm a total petrol head. Yes I accept its going to be expensive but it shouldn't be as expensive as it is!

That car costs a fortune to run, but I still love it. Ive wanted one since I was 12 years old and now I have it, and I'm going to keep it regardless of the cost even though I and others that drive good sports cars are being completely raped.

And even if I wanted to sell it I couldn't... no one is buying at the mo. would be hard pushed to move a 10 year old 300bhp car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

OP it would quite possibly make your MPG better too.

As I said before, I've literally never heard of any car owner, who has had their car remapped, get screwed in an insurance claim because they didn't declare it.

Remapping, especially diesels, is incredibly common nowadays. All you need to do is search this forum to see that, and I'm sure most of the car owners didn't declare it.

In fact, my brother and my uncle both just got their cars remapped last week and neither mentioned it to insurance company.

The insurance companies have no procedures for verifying the results of the remap - they're hardly going to go and get everyone to dyno their cars. So, they would just as quick refuse you to save themselves some hassle. It has nothing to do with the car being too unsafe, because that simply isn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

grahambo wrote: »
    Why should I?

I have a passion for cars, I'm a total petrol head. Yes I accept its going to be expensive but it shouldn't be as expensive as it is!

That car costs a fortune to run, but I still love it. Ive wanted one since I was 12 years old and now I have it, and I'm going to keep it regardless of the cost even though I and others that drive good sports cars are being completely raped.

And even if I wanted to sell it I couldn't... no one is buying at the mo. would be hard pushed to move a 10 year old 300bhp car.

if you enjoy cars (like i do) your right not to sell, but as chris said to the insurance company its all about risk, and at 24 with a 300bhp car, your in their target.
    On the positive side, your insurance will go down next year when your 25 and full NCB, and shop around then for a better quote, try brittoninsurance up north

if you enjoy cars (like i do) your right not to sell, but as chris said to the insurance company its all about risk, and at 24 with a 300bhp car, your in their target.
    On the positive side, your insurance will go down next year when your 25 and full NCB, and shop around then for a better quote, try brittoninsurance up north

I hope to god you're correct although I dont have much faith in the NCB system either! :pac:

On another note, was tlaking to my uncle last night about this he had an evo about 3 years ago

he got a few mods for it and told the insurance company, he said they didn't charge any extra as they were already charging him top rate! LOL

thats says it all really!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Vertakill wrote: »
    Wow what a sweeping comment that was!
    I know that I am faaaar more cautious AND competent in my (sports) car than some 60 year old grandad in his crapped out micra who was no doubt given his license without having to pass a test.

Whereas you usually see retards crashing into eachother going 20mph in traffic on the M50 in run of the mill cars because they're just ridiculously complacent in their boring Passat or Avensis.

Bear in mind that I've never said that people who drive Evos are bad drivers, in fact I'd say it's quite the opposite.
    Again, my point is that insurance companies (as businesses who cover risk) are legitimate in their assessment that a driver in an Evo has more potential to get involved in an accident that involves significant injury or fatality.

They'd much rather deal in minor whiplash claims from 20mph shunts on the M50 at rush hour than send their assessors out to measure how far off the road and into the field the car got before it rolled twice and killed it's occupants...

And another thing...
    ching9000 wrote: »
    However they tell me that they wont cover me at all!! No modifications whatsoever.

I then rang a few other companies and they're all the same except Quinn who wanted to organise for a engineer to take a look...and figure out its real power I guess.

Does this mean that everyone who has a chipped/mapping car is un-insuranced???? :confused:
    As I said before, I've literally never heard of any car owner, who has had their car remapped, get screwed in an insurance claim because they didn't declare it.

In fact, my brother and my uncle both just got their cars remapped last week and neither mentioned it to insurance company.

Are you not concerned that, based on the OPs information from the insurance companies, your brother and uncle are driving uninsured at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Wow what a sweeping comment that was!
    I know that I am faaaar more cautious AND competent in my (sports) car than some 60 year old grandad in his crapped out micra who was no doubt given his license without having to pass a test.
    I'd love to see statistics of road crashes, where we could see a percentage of crashes from sports cars and normal cars.

Honestly, I could count the amount of times I've heard of say, an Evo/M3/Porsche/Imprezza etc crash.

Whereas you usually see retards crashing into eachother going 20mph in traffic on the M50 in run of the mill cars because they're just ridiculously complacent in their boring Passat or Avensis. These are also the same people that think their cars are an extension of their office/hairdressers who are always on the phone/doing their makeup.

Don't get me wrong, I think they should load youngfellas Civics and also monitor what mods they're doing to their cars and if they don't declare what they've done their insurance should be voided. But kicking up a fuss over the OP's Toledo getting a marginal bhp increase is typical Irish insurance company bs that they keep pulling.

I'm saying this as a 22 year old who got shafted with 3800 insurance on a ****ty 1.3 Colt when I was 19 so I'm naturally disgruntled about the whole thing. Thankfully those times are behind me and I'm now driving a car that I wanted, rather than a car that I had to get purely because I couldn't get insurance.

- Edit: Oh, I'm not defending some youngfella buying some crashed 1996 Evo/Imprezza and going around terrorising the neighborhood either. I'm talking about brandishing young people driving new'ish powerful cars that have cost them an arm and a leg, with a full clean license, and then shafting them with insurance.

Another sweeping statement here then. If you ever examine pictures of fatal road crashes in Ireland, I would nearly guarantee 50-65% of them contain a car with mods, ie - larger aftermarket alloys, bodykits, spoilers etc etc.

As Vertakill says, i think its the guys in modded Civics, Puntos, Corrollas, Glanzas etc etc that Insurance companies should monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

And you won't be any safer (or less safe), you'll just be a little further under their radar once you hit 25, and further again when you hit 30. Then you can start to buy cars you enjoy without feeling you're being persecuted.

Then the fun begins... :D

AudiChris wrote: »
    Bear in mind that I've never said that people who drive Evos are bad drivers, in fact I'd say it's quite the opposite.
    Again, my point is that insurance companies (as businesses who cover risk) are legitimate in their assessment that a driver in an Evo has more potential to get involved in an accident that involves significant injury or fatality.

They'd much rather deal in minor whiplash claims from 20mph shunts on the M50 at rush hour than send their assessors out to measure how far off the road and into the field the car got before it rolled twice and killed it's occupants...

No, I know what you meant about the driver skill in one of your previous posts and I agree, but the point I was trying to make is that I believe the drivers of fast, expensive sports cars respect their cars more and are less likely to do stupid stuff.
    AudiChris wrote: »
    Are you not concerned that, based on the OPs information from the insurance companies, your brother and uncle are driving uninsured at the moment?

No, for two reasons. They can do what they like for one :) and, I've genuinely never ever heard of an insurance company testing the BHP of a car after an accident.

Also, think about this. There are PLENTY of TDi VW's (One of the most popular cars remapped) going around that are remapped and have been sold on to people who are completely unaware of this. 90% of people will never have their cars dyno'd so they won't know exactly what BHP their car is and there are no visible indicators that a car has been remapped.

RedorDead wrote: »
    Another sweeping statement here then. If you ever examine pictures of fatal road crashes in Ireland, I would nearly guarantee 50-65% of them contain a car with mods, ie - larger aftermarket alloys, bodykits, spoilers etc etc.

Admittedly, I'm guilty of a bit of a sweeting statement in my previous post. But, I hardly think a bodykit/spoiler/alloys are going to make the car more dangerous? And the way you talk about them is as if you think people with a bodykit are more prone to crashes than people without them? Most bodykits/spoilers on small engine cars are actually making that car an awful lot slower because they've so much more drag. So, technically they'll be a slower car. Now if we were to take the general consensus' formula of.. [Faster car = More crashes = Higher insurance].. shouldn't the insurance be lower?

I admit that a car with a bodykit will be more expensive to repair by your insurance, but the point of this thread was that the OP was allegedly making his Toledo unsafe by doing his mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

No, I know what you meant about the driver skill in one of your previous posts and I agree, but the point I was trying to make is that I believe the drivers of fast, expensive sports cars respect their cars more and are less likely to do stupid stuff.

Most people think young fellas who buy Evos are doing stupid stuff before they even start the car.

• Advertisement

Zube wrote: »
    Most people think young fellas who buy Evos are doing stupid stuff before they even start the car.

Yeah, that's true. I should of refined that. I have little respect for Evo/Imprezza drivers - The car definitely has a stigma surrounding it. I was implying a sports car that's not an Evo/Imprezza :)

Yeah, that's true. I should of refined that. I have little respect for Evo/Imprezza drivers - The car definitely has a stigma surrounding it. I was implying a sports car that's not an Evo/Imprezza :)

I'll second that, Apparently I'm a major drug dealer in my area now! An over night transformation from a Database Administrator to Gang Land Thug... It's like "Stars in their eyes", except its should be called "Scum in their Eyes" and you get transformed into a grade A scumbag in a couple of seconds by stepping in and then out of the car!

Every time I get stopped I get "Is this you're Veh-hic-le?" I feel like saying "No Garda, I stole it!" although that would probably see the rest of my day spent in some Garda station. :o

They give people with sports cars in general so much hassle!

And as for the Remap... I to have never heard of someone having the power of their car checked after an accident once 99.9% of the parts are standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Admittedly, I'm guilty of a bit of a sweeting statement in my previous post. But, I hardly think a bodykit/spoiler/alloys are going to make the car more dangerous? And the way you talk about them is as if you think people with a bodykit are more prone to crashes than people without them? Most bodykits/spoilers on small engine cars are actually making that car an awful lot slower because they've so much more drag. So, technically they'll be a slower car. Now if we were to take the general consensus' formula of.. [Faster car = More crashes = Higher insurance].. shouldn't the insurance be lower?

I admit that a car with a bodykit will be more expensive to repair by your insurance, but the point of this thread was that the OP was allegedly making his Toledo unsafe by doing his mod.

Im saying that maybe its more than just a coincidence. The mindset of people that speed excessively and take risks they shouldnt and endanger theirs and others lives on our roads, seems to have a close fit to those with an overwhelming desire to change ytheir car into something its not. Im not saying that the above always holds through but from most pictures of fatal accidents you see, there seems to be some truth in it.

They give people with sports cars in general so much hassle!

And as for the Remap... I to have never heard of someone having the power of their car checked after an accident once 99.9% of the parts are standard.

Haha. :) Don't get me wrong, I really like Evo's/Imprezza's but I could never bring myself to owning one because there's just such a bad impression of people driving them. I was in the market for an Evo 8 recently and friends/family kept hounding me about the bad image, so I opted for a, what I think is, a respectable looking 350z.
    People are very willing to let me out at T junctions now, whereas in my Celica, they'd just ignore me completely.
    I imagine it'd be the same in Evo/Imprezza.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why should I?

Has your Evo suddenly lost 30bhp? :rolleyes:

Has your Evo suddenly lost 30bhp? :rolleyes:

Its still 300bhp

WILL BE 330BHP ON THURSDAY THOUGH! :D
    (at least I hope so long as the guy selling me the hardpipe kit, induction kit and downpipe doesnt mess me about :) should have had the parts on the weekend but didnt :( REALLY want them on thursday!)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Its still 300bhp

WILL BE 330BHP ON THURSDAY THOUGH! :D
    (at least I hope so long as the guy selling me the hardpipe kit, induction kit and downpipe doesnt mess me about :) should have had the parts on the weekend but didnt :( REALLY want them on thursday!)

But you claimed on the stolen Evo X thread that yours was 330bhp :confused:

Is it a time machine too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

OP, you're right not to leave it to chance. I remember a car being tested at a Garda station for bhp on a rolling road, in order to assess viability of insurance, the car had been tuned up in the order of 20-50 bhp without the insurance company's knowledge.

He was prosecuted for no insurance on top of the other prosecutions arising from a crash and having no tax etc.

But you claimed on the stolen Evo X thread that yours was 330bhp :confused:

Is it a time machine too?

Thats called pre-emptive modding excitment. and I apologize fro that!

although... mitsubishi say the cars are 276bhp standard but everyone knows they are around 300bhp (its due to a gentle mans agreement that exists in japan where buy you cant advertise a car to have more than 276bhp) so even with the mod the car will be only 306bhp.... according to mitsubishi

And yes... its is a time machine.
    Its also has photon torpedoes, Shields and a tractor beam!

OP, you're right not to leave it to chance. I remember a car being tested at a Garda station for bhp on a rolling road, in order to assess viability of insurance, the car had been tuned up in the order of 20-50 bhp without the insurance company's knowledge.

He was prosecuted for no insurance on top of the other prosecutions arising from a crash and having no tax etc.

I genuinely find that hard to believe. The only situation I can think that this may happen is if you have insured a car as stock and, to the guards, it's obvious you've got a lot of work done to the car (I'm not necessarily talking about remapping).. then they may test it.

We're talking about a diesel Toledo here though...

• Advertisement

I genuinely find that hard to believe. The only situation I can think that this may happen is if you have insured a car as stock and, to the guards, it's obvious you've got a lot of work done to the car (I'm not necessarily talking about remapping).. then they may test it.

We're talking about a diesel Toledo here though...

It's not the car, its the driver. If you have your suspicions, that's all that's needed to request a test on any particular car. In this case, the insurance company had probably voiced their concerns and asked for it to be checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If your insurance policy says (however small the print and legalese the sentence) that you have to inform them about modifications ...then that's what you have to do in order to maintain your cover.

Will they ever check ...who knows?

But what if they do and you're just after crippling someone for life in an accident that was your fault? Bye-bye to paychecks for the rest of your life as the insurance will take you to the cleaners.

This is one of the reasons why I wouldn't ever ask the insurance company, using my own policy, what their thoughts on something as small as remapping a car. If I was adding/upgrading turbos/supercharger or something... then yeah. But remapping, cmon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This is one of the reasons why I wouldn't ever ask the insurance company, using my own policy, what their thoughts on something as small as remapping a car. If I was adding/upgrading turbos/supercharger or something... then yeah. But remapping, cmon.

Your insurance policy is a contract to insure you and the car mentioned in the contract.

If your car initially has 150 bhp when you sign, then that's what you're insured for. If you re-map it, then you're in breach of contract as it is now a different car ...it has different bhp and would therefore fall into a different price bracket or possibly not be insured at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

i put a tunit module in my amazon. God did the insurance co. make a meal of it....engineers reports etc. All the module does is give a bit of extra poke and really improved my fuel economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

There are around 6 rolling roads in the republic of ireland none of which are in the possession of an garda siochana. There are no portable RR's in this country and the gardai dont have any at their stations either, so you are talkiong pure crap. Besides a RR calculates wheel horse power and then estimates what they think the bhp will be at the flywheel by adding a fixed figure depending on drivetrain type to this whp figure. Rolling road figures give vastly different bhp figures from manufacturers figures and even other rolling roads so the only use for them is tuning and bar bragging rights.

I have my skyline insured for 2200 fully comp through St. Pauls brokers with all mods declared. I didnt need an engineers report they just wanted a detailed list. The only reason i got my skyline remapped was to protect the engine and improve the mpg slightly as a bonus.

cpoh1 wrote: »
    I have my skyline insured for 2200 fully comp through St. Pauls brokers with all mods declared. I didnt need an engineers report they just wanted a detailed list. The only reason i got my skyline remapped was to protect the engine and improve the mpg slightly as a bonus.

St. Paul Travellers are an insurer. I also use them too btw, and fine them excellent.

Your remap sounds like a good idea. The last thing you want is a "grenade" engine.

The really good thing is you voluntarily declared your mods. Good on ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Honestly, I could count the amount of times I've heard of say, an Evo/M3/Porsche/Imprezza etc crash.

How many are there on the road compared to smaller cars. Even if we just take the Micra as an example there are huge multiples of them on the road over all the above combined.

There are around 6 rolling roads in the republic of ireland none of which are in the possession of an garda siochana. There are no portable RR's in this country and the gardai dont have any at their stations either, so you are talkiong pure crap.

They are contracted out to perform the test on behalf of An Garda Siochána purely on a test by test basis. I'm sorry I said that the test took place at the station, (I won't edit the post above, can only apologise for the error) I only recall seeing the car at the station, but was told it was tested there. At any rate, that is only what I heard, and I wasn't the prosecuting garda.

And yes, there is a mobile rolling road, witha very good accuracy rating as it has each car model's data built into the software, see:

http://www.kellyscarcentre.com/site/fiat500dyno.php

I suggest you check your sources before you insult another poster in future.

• Advertisement

There are around 6 rolling roads in the republic of ireland none of which are in the possession of an garda siochana. There are no portable RR's in this country and the gardai dont have any at their stations either, so you are talkiong pure crap. Besides a RR calculates wheel horse power and then estimates what they think the bhp will be at the flywheel by adding a fixed figure depending on drivetrain type to this whp figure. Rolling road figures give vastly different bhp figures from manufacturers figures and even other rolling roads so the only use for them is tuning and bar bragging rights.

Do you know how may of these are 4wd rolling roads?

I wouldn't mind confirming the BHP on my car :)
    All I have is a bit of paper in japanese

Advertisement