Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance company wont cover a remap??!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

They are contracted out to perform the test on behalf of An Garda Siochána purely on a test by test basis. I'm sorry if you thought I meant that the test took place at the station, I only recall seeing the car at the station. At any rate, that is only what I heard, and I wasn't the prosecuting garda.

And yes, there is a mobile rolling road, witha very good accuracy rating as it has each car model's data built into the software, see:

http://www.kellyscarcentre.com/site/fiat500dyno.php

I suggest you check your sources before you insult another poster in future.

Ill retract my statement about the mobile rolling road, its quite clearly a very new machine and not long in the country. When you say it has each car models data built in to its software it basically means they know whether the car is 4wd, rwd or fwd and multiply the whp figure by say another 20% for a fwd car. That doesnt even begin to take into account wheel slippage, the gear the car was dynoed in and how recently the dyno was calibrated. Quite simply its a total waste of time if you are looking for an accurate bhp reading.

Besides there are two main dynoes in and around the dublin area, westward engineering and trackday performance and I know for a fact that neither Robbie or Martin have ever had their dynoes contracted out by the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I don't know who they use (and probably can't say who anyway!). Grahambo, the one in Rathdrum is supposed to be very good:

Equally I've heard good things about Westward

http://www.westwardeng.com/rollingroad.htm

grahambo wrote: »
    Do you know how may of these are 4wd rolling roads?

I wouldn't mind confirming the BHP on my car :)
    All I have is a bit of paper in japanese

If i was in your position I would head to Robbie at Trackday performance, his dyno doesnt use a rolling road and measures whp at the hubs, its more accurate. He mapped my power fc for 95 unleaded with my modifications and did a great job, he's got a serious evo up there at the minute with massive power figures!

Are you still running your standard ecu on irish fuel?

I don't know who they use (and probably can't say who anyway!). Grahambo, the one in Rathdrum is supposed to be very good:

I think well leave it at that, quite simply they dont use anyone. Its complete bull and you know it.

cpoh1 wrote: »
    I think well leave it at that, quite simply they dont use anyone. Its complete bull and you know it.

Or equally possibly, whoever told me was also extracting bull excrement, or even some urine! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

peasant wrote: »
    If your insurance policy says (however small the print and legalese the sentence) that you have to inform them about modifications ...then that's what you have to do in order to maintain your cover.

Will they ever check ...who knows?

if you have a prang, and they send out a motor assesor to asses the damages and costs etc, mods may be noted and your policy will be voided......FACT.
    The insurer then will never pay out and you'll be on your own with lots of liability to deal with.:(

cpoh1,

sorry i just found out you were 100% right, they don't use rolling roads.

Was talking to the lad who did prosecuted the case and he told me that it can be detected easily by reading the datestamp from the last time the software in the ECU was altered. If the ECU was re-written a good while after the car was bought it will raise suspicions. :)

Again, sorry lad. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

if you have a prang, and they send out a motor assesor to asses the damages and costs etc, mods may be noted and your policy will be voided......FACT.
    The insurer then will never pay out and you'll be on your own with lots of liability to deal with.:(

Yeah, if you look at one of my recent posts on this thread, I mentioned how a car built up to the teeth with mods will stand out a mile to an assessor and they'll be more likely to go down that road of voiding your insurance. However, again as I said in a previous post, there are no tell tale visual signs of a car being remapped, so unless they had an idea you'd done it, they would never check. And just for the record, remapping a car can do an awful lot of different things. It's not some magic service that turns your Corsa into a Ferari. Some remaps will give you more power from a diesel, others will remap a JDM for Irish fuels. It's not really THAT big a deal thats half the reason why I'm bothering posting so much on this thread, because I can't believe an insurance company with kick up such a fuss about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

CSI Malllow:

Bow bow bow:

TJ: I think he may have modified her... jaysus shes soundin fierce
    TJ: Wheres the Tea!!!!
    TJ: Yeh feck it .. lets have tea instead

There's always one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement